http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 07:10:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holiday Loot: Are you expecting a good, average, or bad Christmas?  (Read 3076 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2010, 09:30:50 PM »

Christmas is right around the corner, and with such a weak economy I'm curious how other forum members are expecting this Christmas to turn out. For me it should be a relatively good one. Two years ago I was unemployed near Christmas, and last year I had surgery so money was being conserved to pay medical bills. This year everything is going well, for myself and my family.

My girlfriend accidentally logged into her Amazon account on my computer. but then forgot to log out. When I went to the computer later on, everything was staring me in the face. icon_biggrin Thus, the loot I know I will be getting:

1) Amazon Kindle and official Amazon Kindle lighted case-- I put this on my Christmas list, but I just bought an ipad and it has turned out to be a better e-reader than I expected. And while ibooks lacks some of my favorite titles (Elric of Melnibone, for example) the Kindle app closes the gaps.  Still, I find the Kindle to be easier on the eyes and less bulky, so I may end up keeping it. If I return it the money will go toward the next computer that I'm building.

2) The Vampire Genevieve Warhammer Novel--I'm a big fan of Warhammer, and their e-book selection is non-existent. Thus, this is the actual novel.

3) Dead Rising 2--Zombies at Christmas, f!ck yeah!

4) Hanae Mori cologne--My favorite.

I'm also fortunate enough to have enough money to buy my family and closest friends some fairly nice things, so it should be a nice Christmas. What about you? Has this economy dampened your holiday, or is everything going well?

« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 09:39:09 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 09:40:24 PM »

I already pre-spent my X-Mas bonus on myself during Black Friday week (what else am I going to do with a bonus I don't really need, give it to the poor?  Tongue)  beyond that I'm not expecting anything else. Of course there is always the random gift which means I end up running around trying to find something for that person.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 09:59:24 PM »

It's not so much the recession, more having our second baby at the end of last year, that's done us in financially.  This will be our last "decent" (in terms of money) Christmas for a few years.

As to what I'm expecting, well, it's taken me a couple of years but I've finally convinced my family that Amazon wish lists are very useful!  I'm therefore hoping for mainly computer stuff - Arkham Asylum and Dead Space on the 360, the odd strategy game for PC, a new hard drive etc - and a few CDs and DVDs I've been wanting for a while.

My kids, as usual, will be spoiled rotten by us and our families. smile

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 10:06:49 PM »

Likely won't be getting anything. Not sure it is recession as much as just not being in a Christmas mood.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 10:06:56 PM »

It'll be bad for me, but I get to play my kids new video and boardgames anyways.  Tongue
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 10:07:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 11, 2010, 09:40:24 PM

Of course there is always the random gift which means I end up running around trying to find something for that person.

This happens to me EVERY YEAR. Someone I wasn't expecting gives me a small present. Usually a co-worker.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 10:48:42 PM »

I'm anticipating a relatively light haul this year... My grandmother (who was a big gift giver) died in Jan., and my wife and I are keeping it simple as well ... Bills bills bills, ya know.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 11:27:27 PM »

Professionally speaking, sales are off this year. I'm buying a lot of traffic and getting the expected conversion percentage, but people are placing too many small orders. My average sale usually rises to around $50; this year it fell to around $30. I'm not sure what's behind that. For whatever combination of reasons, November was flat with last year and this December is going to come in below both 2008 and 2009. Unless everyone clicks that link in my sig and does their patriotic duty this week, that is.  nod

Personally speaking, this will be our third consecutive Christmas of tight money (actually no money, but that never stops my wife from buying anyway), so we'll only be meeting our minimum obligations. The three people who give me anything will probably bestow a few shirts and maybe some pajamas, same as every year. One B-I-L usually gives me something random from Sears, which I will exchange for socks and underwear.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 11:57:20 PM »

I really don't give a crap what I get. It's always clothing from the wife and m-i-l and nothing from the kids. Even if I have a cheap and obvious want (here ******, it's a roller bridge for my electric guitar and it's only $30!) if it doesn't seem practical to teh wife, I'm not getting it.  disgust

But this year, I'm at least giving gifts that don't suck and I'm happy about that.  thumbsup
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 04:23:03 AM »

I got a brand new computer, and a car. Think I'm good this Christmas.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 05:30:00 AM »

I don't expect anything for Christmas except a bill for student loans.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 06:20:39 AM »

My only source of gifts for the last six years has been my GF.  Since she's now my ex, I doubt I'll be getting anything.  Well, there's one friend who asked for my address so she could send me my present, but since we've never exchanged gifts before, I have no idea what to expect.  Instead, I bought myself an new TV and receiver.  I suppose that counts as a Christmas present.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 07:26:18 AM »

I'm expecting cash from my mother and father, but since I already kind of factored that in to my finances, I'm not sure what it will actually allow me to get until I see the total.  My brother will send me something interesting, but I have no idea what.  That's about it, as my other regular giver (grandma) passed away this year.  My friends and co-workers never do anything major, so no gifts coming from that direction.

I am planning to set aside a decent amount for the post-Xmas Steam sale this year, so that is probably where the major "loot" will come from.  icon_lol

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 08:04:22 AM »

My Christmases are pretty predictable. A couple of shirts from Mom, a bookstore gift certificate from Dad and some lame religious book from my evangelical tea partier brother and sister-in-law in an attempt to convert me from my heathen ways.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 04:02:59 PM »

we're having the basement professionally finished this year - so it will be a light Xmas for the adults. I did however get a new HT setup to accompany the new 58" plasma. thumbsup
And because I love to shop there is nothing that I really need by the time Xmas rolls around.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 04:17:53 PM »

I already pre-spent my X-Mas bonus on myself during Black Friday week (what else am I going to do with a bonus I don't really need, give it to the poor?  Tongue)  beyond that I'm not expecting anything else. Of course there is always the random gift which means I end up running around trying to find something for that person.

Odlly enough I just mailed you your present so get shopping!  It was very expensive... nod

morlac00 on PSN
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 04:24:24 PM »

After 2 years of very tight budgets we have a little bit more to play with this year.  Will spend about $200 on the wife $300 or so on niece and nephews and then the rest on my daughter.  Adults in my family haven't exchanged 'real' gifts in a few years, too many damn kids!  I have already ordered myself some new headphones from newegg and asked for some Steam $$$ to buy games with during the sales bonanza.  That should be good for me, though i am sure i will get some cloths, socks, underwear, etc.

morlac00 on PSN
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 05:57:28 PM »

I'm likely getting an eReader (Kobo), a couple of games (Rock Band 3, Call of Duty: BLOPS), some books, and a few Blu-Rays. Good haul.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 09:35:55 PM »

It's going to be good this year after years of being worse. My father in law died in 2006, then our nearly 19 year old pet we had since nearly we first met died in 2007, 2008 brought the death of my mother in law on Christmas day and our other little pet that Thanksgiving. 2009 was no money. This year I got my disability finally and we have a table of presents for the first time in years. In a way sad  yet happy too.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:29:14 AM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 09:37:37 PM »

Quote from: morlac on December 12, 2010, 04:17:53 PM

Odlly enough I just mailed you your present so get shopping!  It was very expensive... nod

I'll get you a kidney to sell in Mexico.

Because I can,
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 01:15:39 AM »

Should be a very good year. Fortunately we were in a position this year to give all of our loved ones a very nice Christmas. I was also very happy that our department at work put together an awesome Christmas for a very needy local family.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 01:34:45 AM »

Depends on how much I buy myself for Christmas.

Family never been big celebrators so nothing new to it this year either. Haven't bothered since grandparents passed and we stopped going to their house for meal, gifts, etc.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 02:35:21 AM »

Money is a bit tighter for me this year than last, and I'm predicting it won't get any better in the new year, so I've told my family not to expect much from me and not to get me anything expensive.   

Sandwiches do fix everything.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 03:31:06 AM »

I made out pretty well already and Christmas is still 2 weeks away my wife already bought me a 42" tv for my den can't open till Christmas and I also bought a 2010 Toyota Prius just last week.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:32:54 AM by pingwrx » Logged

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 03:46:28 AM »

I was already allowed access to my Logitech G930 7.1 headset smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 03:46:34 AM »

Quote from: Kagath on December 13, 2010, 01:34:45 AM

Depends on how much I buy myself for Christmas.

pretty much the same for me.  the family just isn't close anymore.

Because I can,
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 05:02:35 AM »

Are you expecting a good, average, or bad Christmas?

The wife and I are visiting with the in-laws again for the 10th Christmas in a row.  That more or less answers the question.   disgust

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 05:53:03 AM »

Pretty sure my gf is buying me plane tickets to LA the weekend WSU plays the Bruins next year.  I'm pretty excited about that!  It's my quest to see the Cougs play at every Pac-10(12) stadium.  Yay!

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 08:16:47 AM »

Quote from: WinoMcCougarstein on December 13, 2010, 05:53:03 AM

Pretty sure my gf is buying me plane tickets to LA the weekend WSU plays the Bruins next year.  I'm pretty excited about that!  It's my quest to see the Cougs play at every Pac-10(12) stadium.  Yay!

Would be cool cept for all the fondling at the airport frown

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 08:17:54 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on December 13, 2010, 05:02:35 AM

The wife and I are visiting with the in-laws again for the 10th Christmas in a row.  That more or less answers the question.   disgust

but won't you be able to at least get a genuine 'wit cheese', or however you say it?

Because I can,
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 03:07:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 13, 2010, 08:17:54 AM

Quote from: PeteRock on December 13, 2010, 05:02:35 AM

but won't you be able to at least get a genuine 'wit cheese', or however you say it?

In Pittsburgh?  Nope.  But at least we'll have Primanti's.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 04:53:28 PM »

This is a weird Christmas for us, in that we bought all our "Christmas presents" earlier in the year (I got a new TV and iPhone, Mrs. Gratch got a Cricut machine).  We will only be doing small token gifts for each other, if anything at all.

My daughter, however, will be getting spoiled rotten both by us and both sets of grandparents.  I'm envisioning needing to clear out an entirely new room in the house just to store all the shit she's going to get.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 06:38:17 PM »

Good. I bought myself a sweet new DSLR a few months ago and I've bought and played all the games I wanted this year already. Not doing anything with family because we're all older now and money is tight. Putting the kaibosh to any exchanges with friends as well.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 06:51:57 PM »

I'm taking the family to Disney World (for 6 days) instead of seeing the inlaws.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 06:58:53 PM »

I'm not hauling in too much this year...maybe a couple of movies on blu ray (Inception is already in the stocking).  We're going cheap on ourselves so we can give more to our daughter and a few people who made this year special for us.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 07:12:50 PM »

Pretty average although this year I have let it be known there are some games I want. I still usually end up with a shirt or two I don't want.

As for giving...we let my daughters make lists and then for the most part just pick a few items off of that for them. They do pretty well.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 07:24:59 PM »

Probably nothing...

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 08:15:10 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on December 12, 2010, 05:30:00 AM

It's amazing how THOSE never get lost in the mail, right?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 09:06:21 PM »

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:03:51 PM by joeyjazz » Logged
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 10:30:54 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 13, 2010, 08:15:10 PM

Quote from: Moliere on December 12, 2010, 05:30:00 AM

It's amazing how THOSE never get lost in the mail, right?
Mine sure haven't so far...  mad

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: