http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 11:57:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hold that pose! (Looking at getting a new camera)  (Read 920 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2013, 12:43:38 PM »

Unfortunately the only "camera stores" that are anywhere near me that I can find are things like Best Buy and Costco.  I would guess somewhere in town there might be a specialized shop, but I haven't found one yet.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2013, 01:50:57 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on October 11, 2013, 04:13:38 AM

Quote from: wonderpug on October 11, 2013, 02:44:53 AM

I can't recommend highly enough that you go to a local brick & mortar camera store and try to hold these things in person.  If you hold one and fall in the love with the way it feels compared to the other options, go for it. 

Yep, agreed. It's one thing to look at them online, but it's really a good idea to get a feel for them. Don't know how any of the stores work over there, but one store over here frequently has sales on the different brands. Like for instance, one month might be Nikon, another Canon, and so on. Also a real camera store will have knowledgeable people who are trained to know the cameras they sell, vs a big box store like Costco, and you'll be much more comfortable taking it into a camera store for questions and any repairs.

While I agree with what you say here I do want to point out that Costco has the best return policy on the planet. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2013, 02:38:47 PM »

Best Buy probably won't have Pentax, but you probably can at least find Nikon, Canon, and several mirrorless options.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2013, 06:10:42 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on October 11, 2013, 01:50:57 PM

Quote from: Rumpy on October 11, 2013, 04:13:38 AM

Quote from: wonderpug on October 11, 2013, 02:44:53 AM

I can't recommend highly enough that you go to a local brick & mortar camera store and try to hold these things in person.  If you hold one and fall in the love with the way it feels compared to the other options, go for it. 

Yep, agreed. It's one thing to look at them online, but it's really a good idea to get a feel for them. Don't know how any of the stores work over there, but one store over here frequently has sales on the different brands. Like for instance, one month might be Nikon, another Canon, and so on. Also a real camera store will have knowledgeable people who are trained to know the cameras they sell, vs a big box store like Costco, and you'll be much more comfortable taking it into a camera store for questions and any repairs.

While I agree with what you say here I do want to point out that Costco has the best return policy on the planet. 

Right, but if you research well enough, you wouldn't be returning it.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2013, 06:16:17 PM »

Even if you know you'll love a particular camera model forever and ever with no regretsies, the Costco return policy gives you great peace of mind about not getting a lemon.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2013, 01:52:19 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 08, 2013, 07:21:46 PM

Personally, I have the most fun shooting with fixed lenses that can't zoom at all.  A 50mm fixed lens only runs $100 or so, and gives better quality for the buck due to the obvious disadvantage of having no zoom.  A 35mm fixed lens runs a bit more, but can be easier to use in tight spaces.  If I must have more flexibility for a shooting event, I bring my 18-200mm zoom instead.  I typically just choose one of those lenses to bring with me and leave the rest at home.

Hey pug, how do the no zoom lenses work?  Having only used the bundle lenses with my Canon T2i from Costco, I can't envision how the shot will focus when you can't zoom at all.  Is everything in zoom depending on where you stand?
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on October 10, 2013, 12:19:24 AM

Quote from: wonderpug on October 09, 2013, 11:09:32 PM

The second picture you can achieve with any camera, but depending on how much you love the blurry background of the first I may start trying to ward you away from those bundled lenses. 

What sort of lenses would I be looking at for that?  I am willing to buy an extra lense.
You're in luck, you can that look with the cheapest lens out there - 50mm f1.8. Anything with a nice shallow depth of field will do.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2013, 02:43:35 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 13, 2013, 01:52:19 PM

Personally, I have the most fun shooting with fixed lenses that can't zoom at all.  A 50mm fixed lens only runs $100 or so, and gives better quality for the buck due to the obvious disadvantage of having no zoom.  A 35mm fixed lens runs a bit more, but can be easier to use in tight spaces.  If I must have more flexibility for a shooting event, I bring my 18-200mm zoom instead.  I typically just choose one of those lenses to bring with me and leave the rest at home.

Hey pug, how do the no zoom lenses work?  Having only used the bundle lenses with my Canon T2i from Costco, I can't envision how the shot will focus when you can't zoom at all.  Is everything in zoom depending on where you stand?
You walk closer to zoom in, walk backwards to zoom out. smile
Fixed lenses are still able to focus so you can still choose what part of your picture you want to be in focus.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2013, 04:02:14 PM »

The fixed lenses also (generally) autofocus way better than zoom lenses.  SLR lenses use the widest aperture they have available for autofocusing, even if you're shooting with a more closed aperture. More light = easier time focusing.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2013, 04:23:04 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 13, 2013, 02:43:35 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on October 13, 2013, 01:52:19 PM

You walk closer to zoom in, walk backwards to zoom out. smile
Fixed lenses are still able to focus so you can still choose what part of your picture you want to be in focus.

Can you only use the 50mm fixed for stuff really close then or can you use it for general shooting?  What's the range I guess?
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2013, 05:14:05 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 13, 2013, 02:41:00 PM

Quote from: Arkon on October 10, 2013, 12:19:24 AM

Quote from: wonderpug on October 09, 2013, 11:09:32 PM

The second picture you can achieve with any camera, but depending on how much you love the blurry background of the first I may start trying to ward you away from those bundled lenses. 

What sort of lenses would I be looking at for that?  I am willing to buy an extra lense.
You're in luck, you can that look with the cheapest lens out there - 50mm f1.8. Anything with a nice shallow depth of field will do.

Unless you can afford the more expensive 50mm f1.4, the f1.8 is a great choice.  Really nice lens for the price.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2013, 09:02:04 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 13, 2013, 04:23:04 PM

Can you only use the 50mm fixed for stuff really close then or can you use it for general shooting?  What's the range I guess?

A fixed lens can focus on anything near or far, just like the lenses you have. What it can't do is change how big something appears in the frame just by twisting a dial. Unless you physically walk around, the size something appears through the lens cannot change.

Is one of your kit lenses an 18-55mm zoom? Zoom in with it as much as possible, then back the other way a tad. Imagine you now glue your zoom ring in place. That is what size the world will always appear through a 50mm fixed lens.

I do use my 50mm lens indoors sometimes, but it's easy to want to fit more into the frame. I have a fixed 35mm I use more often when I'm in tight spaces.

If I can make the 50mm work, though, I prefer it over the 35mm. The zoom level of a lens doesn't just change the apparent size of something, it also changes the proportions. For instance, a wide angle lens will make for a very unflattering portrait, but a 50mm lens (effectively ~75mm on a DX camera) just starts entering the sweet spot for good portrait proportions.

The 35mm focal length for a fixed is easier to recommend if you're not sure if you'll like 50mm, but it's hard to resist the $100 price tag for the Nikon & Canon 50mm f/1.8 lenses. I think of my 50mm as my 'magic lens' because it just always seems to take amazing pictures of people. (I actually have the f/1.4 version, and I wouldn't recommend paying the premium price for that tiny an improvement over the 1.8 unless you really knew it was worth it to you.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2013, 02:30:11 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 13, 2013, 09:02:04 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on October 13, 2013, 04:23:04 PM

A fixed lens can focus on anything near or far, just like the lenses you have. What it can't do is change how big something appears in the frame just by twisting a dial. Unless you physically walk around, the size something appears through the lens cannot change.

Is one of your kit lenses an 18-55mm zoom? Zoom in with it as much as possible, then back the other way a tad. Imagine you now glue your zoom ring in place. That is what size the world will always appear through a 50mm fixed lens.

I do use my 50mm lens indoors sometimes, but it's easy to want to fit more into the frame. I have a fixed 35mm I use more often when I'm in tight spaces.

If I can make the 50mm work, though, I prefer it over the 35mm. The zoom level of a lens doesn't just change the apparent size of something, it also changes the proportions. For instance, a wide angle lens will make for a very unflattering portrait, but a 50mm lens (effectively ~75mm on a DX camera) just starts entering the sweet spot for good portrait proportions.

The 35mm focal length for a fixed is easier to recommend if you're not sure if you'll like 50mm, but it's hard to resist the $100 price tag for the Nikon & Canon 50mm f/1.8 lenses. I think of my 50mm as my 'magic lens' because it just always seems to take amazing pictures of people. (I actually have the f/1.4 version, and I wouldn't recommend paying the premium price for that tiny an improvement over the 1.8 unless you really knew it was worth it to you.

Thanks pug.  Yes, one of my lenses is the 18-55 and the other the 55-250.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2013, 03:00:38 PM »

So my wife was at Costco yesterday and got a feel for the Nikon D3200 and the Canon EOS Rebel T5i, she said she much preferred the feel of the Nikon, and the weight as it is a bit lighter than the Canon.  Sadly they didn't have any of the Pentax in stock.  I also managed to find a local camera shop, but they aren't open on Sunday, so going to try going this week to get more hands on if I can.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2013, 03:47:06 PM »

One thing I recommend trying on each camera:

Before looking through the viewfinder, twist the zoom ring on the lens so that it sits about in the middle.  Now put the camera up to your eye and look at something.  Think "I want to zoom in on that" and twist the ring.  Did it zoom in like you wanted or did it zoom out?

Canon & Nikon, I suspect out of spite, have their zoom rings move in opposite directions.  Me going with Nikon for the digital era has a lot to do with me having first used a Nikon film SLR way back in the day.  The Canon way just doesn't feel natural to me.  (I have no idea which direction Pentax uses.)

This may or may not be a big deal for you, of course, but it's worth testing out to see if one way or the other feels more natural. 
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2013, 03:49:16 PM »

Without knowing the answer....My natural inclination would be to assume that turning the lens clockwise would zoom in.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2013, 10:54:51 AM »

Ok after getting a feel for a few different models, my wife and I both agreed we liked the Nikon best, so last night picked up the Nikon D5200 bundle from Costco, and now I plan to also pick up a fixed focal length lens as well.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: