http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 10:38:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hockey Talk!  (Read 25790 times)
Starshifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 12, 2006, 01:22:21 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
2-1 Shifty, I hope your proud.  :wink:

I completely forgot they played yesterday.  I was sick all day and never watched the game.  They needed that win.  They are 6 points from a playoff spot and have to leapfrog I think four other teams.  Now I just hope that DiPietro can do the USA proud in the olympics.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 12, 2006, 08:17:29 PM »

WooT!

Wings vs Avs today at 5p EST. Finally one I get to hopefully watch.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 13, 2006, 01:05:33 AM »

Quote from: "Kagath"
WooT!

Wings vs Avs today at 5p EST. Finally one I get to hopefully watch.

I was a bit nervous after being down 2-0 , but that made the comeback all the sweeter.  Pure Pwnage!

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 13, 2006, 03:32:19 AM »

So the Olympic break is here and I was wondering if you all could post a recap of your team's first half.  I'd like to know how things are shaping up in around the league, especially with teams in the East.  How your team has played, where they are in the playoff hunt, who's hot, who's not, will you be sellers or buyers at the trade deadline, that sort of thing.  

Yes?

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 13, 2006, 04:13:53 PM »

OK, RB.

My team and goalie started off like crap, then they got rid of their coach and 2 underperforming wastes of money, their second best player came back from hepatitis and they all started playing well.

I'm assuming they'll catch the Flyers and Rangers in the second half or probably beat them in the playoffs!  :wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 13, 2006, 04:53:25 PM »

Calgary Flames:

Started off the season horribly.  Missing Robyn Regehr greatly hurt the defense, and getting fully adjusted to the new rules led to a horrible 4-7-2 October.

Since then, the Flames have gone 29-10-5.  Overall, they're 33-17-7, in first place in the Northwest Division (the best in hockey) and the current 3rd seed in the Western Conference with 73 points.

They've only scored 153 goals, which is only better than the three teams.  However, they've allowed only 144, third best in the NHL.  They win because of fantastic defense that's almost always had a top-4 defenseman hurt at some point in the season (right now it's Roman Hamrlik), and because Miikka Kiprusoff is having a Vezina-calibre season.  Dion Phaneuf has 14 goals and 37 points as a rookie defenseman, and Jarome Iginla, while starting slow as usual, has 25 goals.

The Flames are pretty much destined for the playoffs.  They are still in desperate need for offense, however, and rumors run rampant that they'll trade for Olli Jokinen after the Olympic break.  The Flames have already made two trades this year, sending 7th defenseman Steve Montador and a low level minor leaguer for Kristian Huselius (26 points in 30 games since the trade), and trading Steve Reinprecht and backup goalie Phil Sauve for Mike LeClerc and Brian Boucher, who won his first game as a Flame Friday night.

Against the teams currently in the playoffs out West, the Flames records are:

Detroit - 2-1-0
Dallas - 0-1-1 (both games in the October slump)
Nashville - 0-2-0
Vancouver - 4-1-1
Colorado - 2-2
Edmonton - 4-1-1
Los Angeles - 1-1-0

Maybe that's too much info, but you asked!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 13, 2006, 05:18:23 PM »

Might as well.  I still feel like crap from being sick all weekend so this will make me feel a little worse.

New York Islanders

Currently 12th in the conference with Boston, Toronto and Atlanta ahead of them.  Six points out of a playoff spot.
Prediction:  Going nowhere.  End up 11th-13th.  They will hover around the .500 mark for the rest of the season.  They will put on one good 4-game winning streak but immediately follow it by losing 8 of 10.

My Feelings from the First Half:  Very disappointed.  Although not unexpected.  I've said it since the day he was hired - "the Islanders will go nowhere until Milbury is gone".

What they need to do now:  Start rebuilding for next season and for the new style of hockey since they never really did either during the strike.  Keep those rookies playing and stop constantly switching lines.

Yashin and the Buffalo rejects have to go.  Except, I will keep Satan.  One because I love his name and two because he is phenomenal in shootouts.  Blake, Satan and DiPietro are the only ones who played close to their potential.  York is a HUGE disappointment.  Although not unexpected.  Afterall, what would you expect from a former smurf (a.k.a. Ranger)?

#1 Problem:  Mike Milbury.

Good News:  Milbury is gone.  10 years of doing nothing for this team is now over.  Thank God!  Now let's get that new GM in there pronto!

Thing to look forward to:  A really good GM and an experienced coach.

Why I'm excited:  Because I'm taking my son & daughter to their first pro hockey game!  We are seeing the Islanders/Canadiens at the Nassau Colliseum on Tuesday, Feb 28 at 7pm!

XM Channel 76
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 13, 2006, 06:32:03 PM »

OK, RB.

My team and goalie started off like crap, then they got rid of their coach and 2 underperforming wastes of money, their second best player came back from hepatitis and they all started playing well.

I'm assuming they'll catch the Flyers and Rangers in the second half or probably beat them in the playoffs!  :wink:

Come on Devil, you can do better than that!

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 13, 2006, 07:28:31 PM »

I'm at work - I can give more thought and a bunch of one liners later tonight!

Would that be better?  biggrin

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 13, 2006, 08:36:15 PM »

I'm at work - I can give more thought and a bunch of one liners later tonight!

Would that be better?  biggrin

Yessir!

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 13, 2006, 09:11:39 PM »

I'm at work...biggrin

All the more reason to post here at GT!  :wink:

XM Channel 76
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 13, 2006, 09:23:25 PM »

I can get my little shots in here most of the time.
Re-capping 6 months of the most storied franchise in the NHL might take more thought!  :wink:

RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 13, 2006, 09:28:56 PM »

That is all great stuff.  Thank you guys.  I figured where better to get that sort of knowledge than from people who've been following the teams all season.

Here's where the Sharks stand (on shaky ground, unfortunately):

The team's motto for this year seems to be "Don't live up to potential."  They had so much momentum from their playoff run a season ago but losing some key veterens and not making much of a splash in the free agent market adds up to a young team with no visible leadership and schizophrenic levels of effort.  The honeymoon with Joe Thornton is over, our goalie situation has been shaky and the power play is seriously in need of an offensive defenseman who can set up on the blueline and direct traffic.  We have a center playing the point most nights, if that's any indication.

We recently signed our starting goalie to a 4 year extension which all but gaurantees that the backup Vesa Toskala is going to be moved.  He has played the last three games, probably as a showcase to interested teams.  We desperately need an offensive D-man and some more scoring because the threat after our first two lines is weak.

There have been rumblings that Owen "Buster" Nolan will eventually resign with the team but his health problems and his attitude in the locker room might make this a wash in terms of helping the team.

Currently, we are 6 points out of the last playoff spot and this makes me very nervous that I will be saying "Well, there's always next year," come April.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: February 14, 2006, 01:35:43 AM »

Bruins played pretty badly most of the season but have picked it up in the last few weeks to get a sniff of the playoffs. Unfortunately they looked pretty bad their last couple games, so hopefully the break will be good for them (especially since we only have two Olympians).
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 14, 2006, 02:37:54 AM »

OK - Here's what I've got:

The earth cooled and then the dinosaurs came...

Season started off questionable for me and the Devils. The defense fell apart by losing #27 and #4 at about the same time. I fugured Lou had a plan (he always does) so he signed Rafalski (yeah!) and then Malakhov (Boo!). Malakhov and Guerin have been the only 2 Devils I've ever actually hated and now I was up for a second dose of the worst defenseman in the NHL. Then  I was looking for some sort of sniper to replace the one who got hepatitis in Russia and all I got was a washed up Mogilny but thought, Lou has a plan (he always does) and I'm not expecting too much this year. Not to mention that their REAL coach was dealing with TWO cancer battles in the last year.
The season starts with a win over the Penguins and there was much rejoicing! Little did we know that when the Pens actually played it would be far different than when they fill out the lineup sheet. From there the season wore on, more losses than wins and a team that seemed disinterested. This is what I get in the new NHL no big deal, Lou has a plan (he always does).
Right around the middle of December they were HORRIBLE!! To put it in perspective, I believe they were behind the Islanders in the standings and I think under the new NHL rules if you end up behind the Islanders at the end of the year, you get dropped down to the AHL and have to wear pink uniforms. It's not something they talk about a lot but I think it was in section 47, paragraph C  in the rule book. Right between the stick curve measurement and the new shootout rule.
THEN I see that my coach has to step down due to stress induced headaches!! How bad can it be? I had headeaches from watching them, you didn't see me quit!!
So to sum up the season in December:

1) Lost their Cup winning coach while he battles cancer
2) Lost a HOF defenseman to retirement
3) Lost the current Norris Trophy defenseman to his brother
4) Lost the teams leading scorer to hepatitis contracted in Russia
5) Lost the current coach due to headahes brought on by the team

At this point I'm waiting for the final nail in the coffin and hear the Bruins and Devils switched management and ownwership!!

Then things click!

Lou has a plan (he always does). HE becomes the head coach!!! Finds out that the crappy Mogilny is causing more harm than good and sends him to Albany then he forces Cucka Malakhov to retire. Righting 2 wrongs of the off season.

Then Marty returns to form as the best goalie ever to play the game (yeah, Koz, I typed it!) and Elias comes back from near death and sparks the team on their run and all along,  5 foot 2 inch Gionta has lead the team on the ice...and that's where we are now!

To top it off, Coach Burns seems to be doing well with the cancer and rumors have it that he just might be back soon!

biggrin

ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 14, 2006, 04:40:46 AM »

Detroit:

We started off on top with Legace getting a record 10 October wins and have stayed there (or close to it) ever since.  I just hope it's not like that one season when we set the record with 62 wins and then promptly got dumped in the first round of the playoffs.  

Promising young defensman Nicklas Kronwall was out with a torn ACL (having also missed most of last year with a leg injury), but he's come back ahead of schedule and has played a few games recently and looked good.  

Yzerman started off slow, but he's coming back to form lately (or as close as he can get with his leg and eye problems).  I'm really hoping he can break the 700 goal mark because God knows he deserves it, but that requires 16 more goals.  Unfortunately, the Wings will probably have to go  all the way to the Finals just to give him a chance for it, though I doubt he cares.

Shanahan is having a great season.  Datsyuk has had some hot streaks, but I'm wondering if he's really going to develop into the superstar everyone thought.  Zetterberg, on the other hand, is really coming into his own and playing excellent on offense and defense.  Jason Williams is finally getting a chance to show his skills, and it's earned him a place as a power play point man and a top 3 (on the team) shootout player.  Draper, Maltby, and newcomer Johan Frazen are doing great as the defensive 4th line and penalty killers.

The defense is looking solid.  Lidstrom and Schnieder are quarterbacking the power play and putting up good numbers with their cannon shots.  Chelios is still doing great and the younger defensemen are playing well with lots of veterans to learn from.

The season ahead is looking good.  We should end up in the top 4 of the NHL and top 1 or 2 in the West.  I think we have a good chance in the playoffs this time around as there aren't so many superstar players that everyone is waiting for someone else to step up.  Traditionally we get a big defenseman at the trade deadline, but that's much less needed in the new NHL, especially when we already have big guys in Brett Lebda and Andreas Lilja.  Unfortunately, Jiri Fischer is gone, probably forever, but what can you do?  The only thing I could see possibly changing is the goaltending, but no one that would be an upgrade is going to be available.  I'm happy with the season so far, and I think we have a real good chance of going all the way.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: February 14, 2006, 07:11:07 AM »

Gionta is 5'7".
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 14, 2006, 10:10:55 AM »

and a Rochester, NY native if I recall correctly...  

I ever tell you the time Dave Andrychuck brought the Stanley cup to buffalo and chicken wings were dipped in the bue cheese stowed in the cup?

Thats not even the best stories I got Tongue

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 14, 2006, 10:51:29 AM »

Oh yeah, i should post a sabre recap...

The Sabres are notoriously slow starters and fast finishers.  It's what they do.  You plan on them sucking, and then around the all star break deciding to win enough games to either just make the playoffs, or just miss, making sure thier draft pick is never in the top 6 smile

So during the extended offseason, we got rid of Miroslav Satan and Alexi Zhitnick.  Meaning the only tradeable players we had (Well with the exception of some goalies to be named later) were now gone, freeing up some more cap space on a beleagured team that was having issues due to its previous owners.

So, who did they pick up in the offseason with thier massive cap space and all the free agents

Lets see, Toni Lydman from calgary for a third, goaltender Michael Leighton from Chicago for Milan Bartovic, and our big free agent signing: Teppo Numminen.

Thats right, Teppo...

Most sabre fans went: What the holy hell?

But, after much debate it was decided that maybe the management was instead waiting for a year or two from now when other top players become free agents and a lot of other teams are strapped.  It seemed like a sound strategy, I guess, since well, we usually suck anyways.  But we draft Thomas Vanek, a promising Left Winger and think maybe if Maxim Afinogenov and our other young guys can get some more space they might be better.

Season stars and we beat the Islanders 6-4, with Briere piling in 3 points on his own.  And sabres fans go: Well it's early, but it's a nice start eh?
Then we spank boston 4-1 and are 2-0 and suddenly you hear: These guys arnt half bad...  Damn fair weather sabre fans, we're used to the bills and intense misery, lol.

Well 8 games into the seaosn and we are 6-2 after beating The rangers.. and I hear people saying the sabres can win it all this year.  Then after losing 6 of thier next 7, suddenly the sabres suck again.

This is how it is everywhere I assume.  You go good a stretch and your potential cup champions, you lose a bunch and suddenly you are pond scum.  

Then the sabres go on a absolute tear with Biron in net (although no one ever mentions he had lost 4 of 5 straight before the tear..

BUffalo goes 16-2 in one stretch, almost setting a record or two by wins straight by a goalie.  The sabres rarely ever win big, usually 3-1 or 3-2 scores, but the powerplay is rock solid and the rule changes are finally sinking in and the young team is enjoying the newfound freedom.

After staring 8-9 they have gone 28-6-5 since.  

How do they win?  Thier offence is 12th in the league, so clearly they arn't blowing teams out.  Thier Defence is 8th overall, meaning they are rock solid with defence, but more because of the goaltending than the defence.  

Buffalo gets it done with the special teams.   First, they are 7th best when it comes to penalties, meaning they almost always have an advantage in power plays.  Second Thier Power play is seocnd in the league meaning they make the most of thier chances.  And even when the opponents have a power play, Buffalo is Second in the league in penalty killing.  Thier only glaring weakness is they have a tendency to let in short handed goals.

The rest of this season is all dependent on the referee's.  If they continue calling it as they do now, the sabres will easily not only be in the playoffs but be someone to be worried about.  if the refs forget about thier whistles in the postseason, Ottowa is the team to beat by sucha  wide margin, no one else should even bother going to the playoffs in the east.

how's that season recap? Tongue

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 14, 2006, 01:02:51 PM »

To put it in perspective, I believe they were behind the Islanders in the standings and I think under the new NHL rules if you end up behind the Islanders at the end of the year, you get dropped down to the AHL and have to wear pink uniforms. It's not something they talk about a lot but I think it was in section 47, paragraph C  in the rule book. Right between the stick curve measurement and the new shootout rule.

:lol:  :evil:  :lol:  :evil:  :lol:

finger

:wink:

XM Channel 76
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 16, 2006, 01:06:10 AM »

Damn, down goes Hasek.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/olympics/2006/02/15/hasek.injury.ap/index.html

Hope he'll be alright for Ottawa.  Would hate to see them suffer because of this.  I just hope the guys from my team are going to be okay.  How bad would an injury to Nabokov look after giving him that huge contract?  And if Joe Thornton somehow gets injured, it's bye-bye season for the Sharks.

Flannery O'Connor
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: February 16, 2006, 01:23:58 AM »

Sakic better hold up for Canada and put in a minimum of a Hattrick a game and no injuires or even muscle strain.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 16, 2006, 02:16:18 AM »

F**K Hasek!

I think he faked it because something didn't go his way. Something like the tint to the red coloring in the face-off circles wasn't to his liking.

smile

Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 16, 2006, 04:52:20 AM »

your jealous because he's a better goaltender than your current one/bum/scrub/brodeur chump/etc.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 16, 2006, 02:36:42 PM »

Hasek is my NHL Nomar!  biggrin

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 16, 2006, 04:58:05 PM »

I'll take Kiprusoff over Hasek AND Brodeur!

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 16, 2006, 05:51:40 PM »

I'll take Billy Smith over all your goaltenders combined!  :wink:

XM Channel 76
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 16, 2006, 06:51:52 PM »

I'll take Kiprusoff over Hasek AND Brodeur!

A 30 year old with 67 career wins, no Cups or Vezinas?

Mike Vernon? Definitely.

Trevor Kidd? Maybe.

Kiprusoff. I don't think so!

:wink:

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 16, 2006, 07:33:58 PM »

Over a career, yes, I'd take Hasek or Brodeur.

Right now?  Kiprusoff, please.  And isn't right now what matters?

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 16, 2006, 08:49:09 PM »

Last year you would have said Raycroft, Theodore a few years ago and Jim Carey even before that.

My money is on the guy who's done it, and by IT, I mean everything!

Kippy might turn out wonrderful but I'll hold off on my vote for Toronto.

I'd take Iggy over Ovechkin right now too.

Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: February 16, 2006, 09:47:08 PM »

Last year you would have said Raycroft, Theodore a few years ago and Jim Carey even before that.

So your money is on Hasek?

If you're really trying to compare Kiprusoff to Jim Carey, you're more delusional than normal.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 17, 2006, 01:43:02 AM »

My point was that the guy's hot right now, maybe he'll choke. PLENTY of other players, like Carey have had good years. I ain't building a team around them though.

Moving on..

So yeah, I'd go with Hasek winning the Cup this year over any other goalie.  He's the best goalie in the best situation.

Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 17, 2006, 06:22:53 AM »

LoL....

OK... Devil picked Hasek.... Who hacked his account?

I think someone needs to figure out what consipracy is taking place....

My brain just exploded thinking about the ramifications.

And if I were winning THIS year I would probably take Hasek.   If I was building a new team. I wouldnt take him...

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 17, 2006, 01:52:32 PM »

Hasek is the best goalie on the best team. No problem with that.

I can still hate him.

I'm able to keep my emotions seperate from my analysis.  biggrin

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 17, 2006, 07:50:28 PM »

Kippy might turn out wonrderful but I'll hold off on my vote for Toronto.

I'd take Iggy over Ovechkin right now too.

Nah, last year I would have said Kiprusoff, too.

Before that, Brodeur or Hasek, no question.  Not Theodore or Jim Carey.

Come on.  I do have some bias, but I'm not stupid!   :twisted:

RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 22, 2006, 11:55:19 PM »

Well, there goes the North American medal hopes.  One bright note (for me, at least) is Evegny Nabokov's play for Team Russia.  Hopefully, he'll ride that momentum for the Sharks' playoff run.

Flannery O'Connor
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 23, 2006, 01:27:32 AM »

Yeah - I wasn't expecting too much. At least the Devils played well for USA and didn't get hurt.

Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: February 23, 2006, 07:14:44 AM »

Go, uh, P.J. Axelsson.

Is it just me or has the Olympic hockey this go round been particularly boring? Finland's playing the freakin' trap to perfection and every other team seems disinterested or lost. Bee-orr-ing.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 03, 2006, 01:28:41 PM »

Resurrected to add for Devil:

Islanders 3  Devils 2!

Thank you.  Carry on now.

biggrin

XM Channel 76
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 03, 2006, 01:55:03 PM »

Knew this was coming...

Woohoo!! You must be proud!

You won a game when they switched over to "Gimmick Mode"

Notice I didn't mention a cheap 2 points over the Failures the night before.

I guess as an Islanders fan you take what you can get!  :wink:

Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: