http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 01:45:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey lawyers (LSAT and GPA Q's)  (Read 1407 times)
ravenvii
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2004, 04:28:51 AM »

I hope the lawyers from Gone Gold still read the forums around here.

I'm majoring in philosophy, and plan to go to law school. I'm just wondering how the lawyers who has been there, done that, went about it. What's a good LSAT score? I'm thinking 165 and over? And how did you prepare for it? And what was your GPA? What should I keep it at? I currently have a 4.0 GPA, but I'm screwing up big time this semester, so that 4.0 will go poof. I'm hoping to go to either Georgetown or New York University law schools. Cornell would be nice, but dunno if I can get in. I think/hope I'll end up practicing in New York, so a New York school is ideal.

Sorry for the barrage of questions smile

Thanks in advance.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 04:58:30 AM »

Hey Raven; basically to be looking at a top 20 law school you need a score over 165.  Top 10 you're looking at the 170 range.

Your GPA helps a lot, though it does depend on the college you go to *yes, professional schools weigh GPA based on college.  Totally unfair, but that's the way it goes*.

Check the USWorld & News Report guide to colleges thats released every year.  Gives the average GPA and LSAT score of admitted people.

Good luck.  It's actually a fairly painless procedure compared to applying to other grad schools (there is no interview process at most law schools, which I find absolutely bizarre).
KC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 11:30:54 AM »

The best way to prepare for the LSAT is to purchase the sample/practice exams and take them under real exam conditions (This last part is the most important).  I took the LSAT way back when they were on the "48" scale, so I don't know how the scores correlate now.  

Also note that you may have a better shot at the national law schools that have very large 1L classes (Harvard, NYU, Georgetown, etc.) as opposed to the small law schools (Yale, Stanford) because those schools are large enough (400+ 1Ls per year) to want geographic diversity.  That means that you generally have a better shot if you are from the middle of nowhere, but a harder chance if you are from a big city with good schools.

Good luck
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 04:10:04 PM »

My ex took one of those Kaplan courses to prepare for the LSAT.  It cost something like a grand, but she says it was absolutely worth it.  I think her first LSAT score was a 155 or something around there, and her final real LSAT score was 163 if I remember right.  Basically you take a ton of practice exams, and they show you your score and how you did broken up by question types.  Then the teacher goes over each question type and you try to improve.

I'm not sure about GPA but I think it plays a role.  She had a 3.98 undergrad GPA, and got accepted to UVA Law, but turned down at Harvard.  She's now going to William and Mary, who offered a scholarship.
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 01:30:47 AM »

Yeah, I would second the Kaplan/Princeton Review class, if you can afford it.  Those exams are mostly a matter of practice, technique and preparation, and not so much about raw intelligence, though that doesn't hurt either.  If you can't afford the course, buy a couple prep books on the subject, read through them, and just take practice exam after practice exam.

There's a site on the internet where you can punch in your GPA/LSAT and get "% chance of admission" at all the law schools, though I don't remember the URL. (It's been awhile).  It's pretty accurate, especially if you're a white kid from the suburbs.
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 01:51:42 AM »

I would also like to point out that you won't get in if you don't apply, and to the extent that you're interested in going to any school, please spend the $50 and apply.  You'll regret it if you don't.

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 09:31:28 PM »

All good advice. I also took the LSAT on the 48 scale, so i'm not sure what the comps are with the newer system.

Best piece of advice: Do practice tests. Do them all, then do them again and again and again, until you can recognize the questions in your sleep. These test prep services are worthwhile.

BTW, this is also a proven strategy for passing the Bar Exam and has served me well for 3 bar exams all in different states :wink:
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 10:51:55 PM »

Are you actually a JAG attorney?

My advice is to take some practice tests and not stress it. The LSAT is not very hard, and law school isn't much of an effort for anyone with some reasonable reading comprehension and writing abilities.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 01:03:09 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Are you actually a JAG attorney?

No, General Counsel. (sort of military sounding though). JAG's my initials, been using that as my nick since the early days of pac man at the arcade.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 02:36:31 AM »

I see...well, feel free to offer me a job, but only if you live on the west coast smile
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 11:50:17 AM »

Just hired the last lawyer in my department. Sorry  :wink:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: