http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 11:40:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heroes Season Four  (Read 3642 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2009, 07:38:03 AM »

Darth Maul and Teabag, oh my!  I hear Bryan Fuller is only going to be a consultant again instead of being put in as a showrunner, and he's also trying to develop a few other shows so who knows, he may be going away again.   I was hoping he'd have a bigger role with the next season and maybe be able to bring it back to it's season one greatness.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:32:22 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 01:16:39 PM »

There is no such thing as season 2, 3 and 4.  The show was canceled after a brilliant one season run.  ninja
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 09:31:46 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 05, 2009, 01:16:39 PM

There is no such thing as season 2, 3 and 4.  The show was canceled after a brilliant one season run.  ninja

Agreed!
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 11:35:51 PM »

What a huge load it was to delete 13 episodes off my DVR without watching them...and in HD so it opened up a HUGE amount of hard drive space.

I sincerely hope next season is good...the first was outstanding, the rest were out standing in the dump.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 01:47:37 AM »

guess who's leaving again?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 12:15:51 AM »

3 and a half minute preview of season 4.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 11:51:50 PM »

who ya gonna call?

Because I can,
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 01:26:09 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 12, 2009, 11:51:50 PM

Do you think his power will be to see shit and actually turn white?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 02:09:47 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 05, 2009, 01:16:39 PM

Agreed.  Heroes jumped the shark during season 2

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 09:36:44 PM »

Not a word on the premiere?  Was it that bad?

I actually fell asleep somewhere in the middle of it so I will reserve judgment until I have fully watched the second part. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 09:42:27 PM »

I recorded it but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Because I can,
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 09:44:30 PM »

They actually had Peter finally DO something... which is at least a step in the right direction.

Sylar (or whatever you want to call him at this point) was his typical awesome self.

The rest....  I've stopped caring to be honest.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 03:56:36 AM »

just watched it.  basically they're back to everyone split up with everyone wanting to live their own lives and not be special.   Peter wants to do his own thing, Parkman wants nothing to do with anyone, Claire wants to stop lying, Noah and Ma Petrelli are trying to do what they've always done, Abbot and Costello Hiro and Ando are bumbling through life,  Tracy looks hot, Nathan Sylar thinks something is wrong and there's no sign of Suresh.

rating weren't all that great either, but that may have had something to do with being head to head with the 2 hours of House, who crushed everyone else.  I'm guessing this is going to be the end unless they manage a miracle.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 05:17:46 PM »

"Heroes" is too close to the magical 100-episode syndication number for NBC to give up on it, imho. I think roughly 60 episodes have aired now, and apparently this season is planned to be about 18-20 episodes. So it pretty much has to survive through the end of Season 5 to reach that magical 100-episode number.

The Wiki gives an idea of how mighty the show once was:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_%28TV_series%29#Ratings

Optimists will claim everyone's watching it on Hulu, or DVRing it (it's what we Chuck fans claim too icon_smile), though I imagine a lot of people like me lost interest after Season 1 (I bought the Heroes Season 1 DVD set but bizarrely have never watched it), or perhaps got off the Heroes bandwagon during the strike-shortened season and never returned.

I like to just think of Heroes Season 1 as a British TV show. They don't generally do more than 1 or 2 seasons of a show, even something marvelous like "Life on Mars," so I just pretend Heroes #1 was the show's only season, and I found it a quite marvelous one. I'd rather just remember it like that. icon_smile
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 05:21:41 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 07:26:04 PM »

I always saw Peter as the real main catalyst for the Heroes series, but somehow throughout this all, it's more and more all about Claire. Peter always seems to get the least amount of screentime. At least he seems to have smartened up in the season opener, and Sylar is more or less back to his "true form".

I do get frustrated with the show, because like Ceekay already said, again it feels like nothing has really changed. You have the same good guys, 'the company' (aka HRG) who's chasing after folks, the same bad guy(s), and then the new 'element' who is a shade of dark gray. Like in previous two seasons. There seriously has to be life outside of this group somewhere.

Remember Season 1? Where they, through extraordinary circumstances, came together to stop a nuclear bomb exploding in NY as per the visions? And now we're getting Days in the lives of Heroes. Wonderful.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 08:20:58 PM »

Quote from: Fellow on September 23, 2009, 07:26:04 PM

I always saw Peter as the real main catalyst for the Heroes series, but somehow throughout this all, it's more and more all about Claire. Peter always seems to get the least amount of screentime.

The problem with Peter is there is no way he can be the same way he was in Season 1. First, he was the "loser" type guy, always trying to do the right thing. He started realizing he had some power, and knew he needed to use it to "save the world". Part of the intrigue with him, was watching a regular guy become the most important and powerful person on the planet. Unfortunately, at the end of Season 1 he was so powerful the writers had to find ways to gimp him. They erased his mind...lame...then took away all of his powers...uh-oh...and then gave him a good power in being able to steal other people's powers one at a time, but made him a vengeful asshole...OMGWTFBBQ.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 08:27:59 PM »

The reason Season 1 was so good, in my opinion, was that it was simple. A core set of heroes, an identifiable villain, an impending disaster.

Things started really falling apart when they complicated things with time travel, moral ambiguity, throwaway characters, and no identifiable "good vs. evil." In an attempt to be sophisticated (oh look, we can make our heroes be flawed, and make our villains redeemable!) they just totally confused everyone because the writing wasn't strong enough to support those sudden changes. And let's not even get started on the insanely vague plotlines that never went anywhere (What happened to evil Claire? What about that virus that killed everybody in the future?) It was a total clusterfuck.

I liked everything about this season's premiere except for one thing, which I'll get to in a moment. It gets back to our core group of heroes, and we probably have a villain shaping up in the form of T-Bag. Instead of seeing our heroes go from normal people to heroes, we're seeing our heroes going from normal lives to heroic ones - I'm fine with that; it's an attempt to get back to what made Season One great.

My one concern is Hiro regaining his time travel powers. Shutting that crap off for good would be the right thing to do so that the writers don't paint themselves into any more corners like they did the previous two seasons. Instead, Hiro seems determined to start messing with the past again, which means we have more opportunity for gaping plot holes this season. I really wish they'd have limited his power just as they did with everyone else (even if that limitation in most instances was self-imposed).
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 08:28:14 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on September 23, 2009, 08:20:58 PM

Quote from: Fellow on September 23, 2009, 07:26:04 PM

I always saw Peter as the real main catalyst for the Heroes series, but somehow throughout this all, it's more and more all about Claire. Peter always seems to get the least amount of screentime.

The problem with Peter is there is no way he can be the same way he was in Season 1. First, he was the "loser" type guy, always trying to do the right thing. He started realizing he had some power, and knew he needed to use it to "save the world". Part of the intrigue with him, was watching a regular guy become the most important and powerful person on the planet. Unfortunately, at the end of Season 1 he was so powerful the writers had to find ways to gimp him. They erased his mind...lame...then took away all of his powers...uh-oh...and then gave him a good power in being able to steal other people's powers one at a time, but made him a vengeful asshole...OMGWTFBBQ.

And they could have done so much more with him.  I mean, okay, now you're the most powerful man on the planet, right?  And above this major city, there was a huge event going on, so maybe 2+2. everybody?  Maybe explore what happens when everyone is afraid of a normal guy who just happens to be able to obliterate everyone?  And maybe introduce a bigger big bad that Sylar has to grovel to a bit until he can lash out and become bigger?  Maybe have a nebbish like Parkman switch sides and join Sylar and put a little more good vs. evil on the line?  I mean, I'm not a TV writer, but there were hundreds of ways that the show COULD have gone and they chose the dumbest possible way.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 08:37:23 PM »

Can Claire's conveniently new friend be any more weird? Why is she not seen as a prime suspect in the death of Claire's roommate? She's obviously someone with power. My guess is some kind of invisibility which is why the note was able to appear and how she keeps showing up everywhere like looking at Claire after she jumped.

Matt knows that only he can see Sylar. Is there a reason he needs to talk to him out loud or even acknowledge anything he's saying?

Now we're supposed to believe that Ando has been with Hiro's sister for the last 14 years and they haven't gotten married or had a family? That nothing else changed in the world except now they like each other? The Butterfly Effect still applies, even to spilled slushies.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 09:01:24 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on September 23, 2009, 08:27:59 PM

The reason Season 1 was so good, in my opinion, was that it was simple. A core set of heroes, an identifiable villain, an impending disaster.

Well, I kind of disagree. It was a simple premise, with intricate and incredibly well planned and thought out writing. Everything was important (or seemed to be), and it all was able to be wrapped up by the end of the season.

Things started really falling apart when they complicated things with time travel, moral ambiguity, throwaway characters, and no identifiable "good vs. evil." In an attempt to be sophisticated (oh look, we can make our heroes be flawed, and make our villains redeemable!) they just totally confused everyone because the writing wasn't strong enough to support those sudden changes. And let's not even get started on the insanely vague plotlines that never went anywhere (What happened to evil Claire? What about that virus that killed everybody in the future?) It was a total clusterfuck.

Time travel was an intricate part of the story from the first episode, so I'm not sure how that could contribute to the show's lack of quality, but I agree with the other points. The idea behind each season was intriguing. Season 2 explored the idea that there is nobody who is purely good or purely evil. Good idea, but the writers crammed it down our throats. The plot holes were awful, but I'm willing to blame the writers strike.

I liked everything about this season's premiere except for one thing, which I'll get to in a moment. It gets back to our core group of heroes, and we probably have a villain shaping up in the form of T-Bag. Instead of seeing our heroes go from normal people to heroes, we're seeing our heroes going from normal lives to heroic ones - I'm fine with that; it's an attempt to get back to what made Season One great.

My one concern is Hiro regaining his time travel powers. Shutting that crap off for good would be the right thing to do so that the writers don't paint themselves into any more corners like they did the previous two seasons. Instead, Hiro seems determined to start messing with the past again, which means we have more opportunity for gaping plot holes this season. I really wish they'd have limited his power just as they did with everyone else (even if that limitation in most instances was self-imposed).

I disagree only in the sense that I don't like it when characters completely lose their power. I think a storyline where Hiro knows that to use his power means he will die, but not using it means others will die, can be pretty entertaining. Unfortunately, I don't see his storyline going in that direction this season.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 09:10:23 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on September 23, 2009, 08:28:14 PM

And they could have done so much more with him.  I mean, okay, now you're the most powerful man on the planet, right?  And above this major city, there was a huge event going on, so maybe 2+2. everybody?  Maybe explore what happens when everyone is afraid of a normal guy who just happens to be able to obliterate everyone?  And maybe introduce a bigger big bad that Sylar has to grovel to a bit until he can lash out and become bigger?  Maybe have a nebbish like Parkman switch sides and join Sylar and put a little more good vs. evil on the line?  I mean, I'm not a TV writer, but there were hundreds of ways that the show COULD have gone and they chose the dumbest possible way.

Peter would have had the Superman problem. They made his character so cool and powerful, that it took all of the drama out of it. How do you stop a guy who can control time, go off like a nuclear bomb, fly, freeze shit, heal, see the future via dreams and/or visions, read minds, has super strength...and all the other ones that I forgot he had?

As for your other points, they did all of those...poorly. There was the guy referenced at the end of season one, who I think ended up being Peter's father. Mohinder was a bad guy for awhile, along with Nathan, Tracy...hell, pretty much all of the main characters. Sylar even became "good" for awhile.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 11:25:29 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on September 23, 2009, 09:10:23 PM

As for your other points, they did all of those...poorly. There was the guy referenced at the end of season one, who I think ended up being Peter's father. Mohinder was a bad guy for awhile, along with Nathan, Tracy...hell, pretty much all of the main characters. Sylar even became "good" for awhile.

That's always been my biggest beef with the show, with the writing and absolutely incredible inconsistency of it.  It's hard for viewers to buy into characters and plotlines when they change personality on you at the drop of a dime, and in this case, change powers, change amount of powers, change the "rules" of powers.  It seemed like the writers/producers stopped having any responsibility to anything they put up on the screen.  When it's convenient they do it one way, when it's not, they just change it to the way they want, and no one holds them responsible.  I think at some point it just becomes insulting (not to mention confusing) for the audience, and even die hard superhero/scifi fans like myself are left shaking our head. 

Here's a great example: when Ando finally got his powers, they were very clear to show he had a "booster" power that made, for instance, the fast girl even faster.  Then without any explanation or acknowledgment, now he has "red lightning" as his power.  Huh?  Or Peter - does anyone have any idea what powers he has and how he gets them?  Is it proximity based?  Can he only have one at a time, as was implied at some point?  My guess is they will continue to change the rules however they see fit.  It's all a bit aggravating.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 11:54:51 PM »

When it's convenient they do it one way, when it's not, they just change it to the way they want, and no one holds them responsible.

That's not to mention all the times the heroes inexplicably don't use a power they have. That's the problem with creating heroes that are too powerful, or have too many powers - you have to be able to account as to why or why not a hero would use or not use each of those available powers in each circumstance. Obviously the writers couldn't wrap their heads around it.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 04:26:06 AM »

Quote from: msteelers on September 23, 2009, 09:10:23 PM

Peter would have had the Superman problem.

Yes!  I would love to see that!  Here's the thing:  We've never answered the Superman problem.  What happens when someone who is no smarter than anyone else walks among men like a god?  What's to stop him from thinking that he is?  There was much richer thematic territory to mine and they just let it all lie fallow.  I mean, I know this is supposed to be a chop-socky fun show, but you can still touch on these issues.  Nathan was a Senator and his brother was the most powerful being on Earth.  I mean, come on!
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 01:40:25 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on September 23, 2009, 11:25:29 PM

Or Peter - does anyone have any idea what powers he has and how he gets them?  Is it proximity based?  Can he only have one at a time, as was implied at some point?  My guess is they will continue to change the rules however they see fit.  It's all a bit aggravating.

My understanding of Peter's power is that now he can only have one power at a time. At first he "steals" the power whenever he touches them...then I guess he learned to control it, so he can pick and choose what powers to steal. He has to touch them though in order to get the power. Right now he's only supposed to grab one power at a time, but that could easily change.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 02:24:45 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on September 24, 2009, 01:40:25 PM

Or Peter - does anyone have any idea what powers he has and how he gets them?  Is it proximity based?  Can he only have one at a time, as was implied at some point?  My guess is they will continue to change the rules however they see fit.  It's all a bit aggravating.

My understanding of Peter's power is that now he can only have one power at a time. At first he "steals" the power whenever he touches them...then I guess he learned to control it, so he can pick and choose what powers to steal. He has to touch them though in order to get the power. Right now he's only supposed to grab one power at a time, but that could easily change.

I don't think he touched Darth Maul though.  IIRC he's got Sylars version of it, only quicker and without needing to cut heads open.

Because I can,
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2009, 02:43:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 24, 2009, 02:24:45 PM

I don't think he touched Darth Maul though.  IIRC he's got Sylars version of it, only quicker and without needing to cut heads open.

Is that the fast guy? He stole his power at the beginning of the fight, I think he grabbed his arm as he was entering the room. With Sylar he stole just the shape-shifting ability. At the beginning of the episode, he had Mohinder's power (increased strength and agility).

That reminded me of another thing that irritated me about inconsistencies with power. In season 1 Sylar killed that girl that could create illusions, and stole her power. She mainly used it to change her appearance, so in effect she was a shape-shifter, and Sylar became one too. Then there was the episode that took place in the future, where Sylar was pretending to be Nathan using the power. As I was watching the last few episodes of last season, I kept getting irritated because if he was going to use the shape-shifting power so extensively, he could have done so all along.

Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 07:53:51 AM »

Quote from: msteelers on September 24, 2009, 02:43:06 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 24, 2009, 02:24:45 PM

Or Peter - does anyone have any idea what powers he has and how he gets them?  Is it proximity based?  Can he only have one at a time, as was implied at some point?  My guess is they will continue to change the rules however they see fit.  It's all a bit aggravating.

I don't think he touched Darth Maul though.  IIRC he's got Sylars version of it, only quicker and without needing to cut heads open.

Is that the fast guy? He stole his power at the beginning of the fight, I think he grabbed his arm as he was entering the room. With Sylar he stole just the shape-shifting ability. At the beginning of the episode, he had Mohinder's power (increased strength and agility).

That reminded me of another thing that irritated me about inconsistencies with power. In season 1 Sylar killed that girl that could create illusions, and stole her power. She mainly used it to change her appearance, so in effect she was a shape-shifter, and Sylar became one too. Then there was the episode that took place in the future, where Sylar was pretending to be Nathan using the power. As I was watching the last few episodes of last season, I kept getting irritated because if he was going to use the shape-shifting power so extensively, he could have done so all along.

It is possible that Sylar never got the illusion power in first season's future episode. He killed the illusion girl at second season but he didn't have any power at the time so maybe he didn't get the illusion power. It is possible that Sylar got the shapeshifting power, the same one that he got now that let him become Nathan. So maybe in the end they didn't change much, Nathan still died and Sylar took over as Nathan which is going to become the President.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 07:55:30 AM by Victoria Raverna » Logged
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2009, 08:33:02 PM »

I'm so glad I've never watched a single episode of this show.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2009, 08:36:31 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on September 25, 2009, 08:33:02 PM

we are too.  that way we don't have to read you whining about it  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2009, 02:22:59 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 25, 2009, 08:36:31 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on September 25, 2009, 08:33:02 PM

we are too.  that way we don't have to read you whining about it  icon_twisted

You should at least watch S1. Then stop....for goodness sake stop! I watched up to most of last season where I 1/2 watched (FF tivo through boring stuff/most of it). Saw a few minutes of the latest and don't think I'll go back.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 12:35:00 AM »

horrbile ratings yet again.  at the end of last season they had 59 episodes, with 41 to go until they hit the magic number 100 for syndication.  I don't think they're going to make it.

the full breakdown (last week in in parentheses thanks to AICN):

5.7 (6.5) House
5.1 (4.6) Big Bang Theory
4.7 (4.4) Two and a Half Men
4.1 (4.3) CSI: New York
3.6 (4.1) Dancing With The Stars
3.6 (3.5) How I Met Your Mother
3.1 (3.2) Accidentally On Purpose
2.9 (----) Lie To Me
2.3 (2.3) Castle
2.3 (----) Trauma
2.3 (2.7) Heroes
1.8 (1.8 ) The Jay Leno Show
1.2 (1.2) One Tree Hill
1.2 (1.1) Gossip Girl
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:38:33 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2009, 02:48:12 PM »

I liked Trauma's debut, and while its premiere was considered disappointing, it apparently got about 1.1 million more viewers than the fast-fading Heroes:
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/09/29/ratings-lie-to-me-trauma/
Elsewhere, NBC debuted its new drama Trauma, but the first episode only drew a weak 6.9 million viewers. The one silver lining is that it managed to improve upon its lead-in, Heroes, by over a million viewers.

I think my beloved Chuck (presumably blamed by some suits for Heroes' fading ratings last season) actually had better ratings than Heroes is having now. Who knows? Maybe they'll cut Heroes off mid-season, bring in Chuck for it's half season #3, and save Heroes' remaining episodes to air in the summer. NBC is just a shambling train wreck at this point.

This EW blog seemed to hit the nail on the head:

'Heroes' recap: Shouldn't having superpowers be fun?
http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/09/28/heroes-shouldnt-having-superpowers-be-fun/
Heroes always feels as if itís operating in the shadow of loss ó thereís a funereal vibe to everything. And I think Iíve figured out why: Because no one wants anything. At least, none of the so-called heroes, anyway.
I don't know if that's oversimplifying, and die hard fans will pooh-pooh any criticism of the show (probably as I would of 'Chuck'). I think it's OK to have one character who's a morose, Peter Parker type ("Oh why oh why do I have to get saddled with super powers, couldn't I just be normal?") but when the whole show's like that, it feels less like a comic book and more like a CW soap opera imho.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2009, 03:06:31 PM »

Did I miss an entire season somewhere? Who are all these carnival freaks? Are they just a random addition to this season like the woman who can't hear, but can apparently be an instant cello player because she sees sound as colors? So far this season has just been a rambling mess of character plots. Did no one tell the writers that didn't work in season's 2 and 3?

"Hey, I'm a strange dude showing up late at night in the middle of your party. My mom and dad used to be servants in this house 30 years ago. Would you mind if I just wander around nostalgic for a bit? Oh, you would? Guess I'm going to have to kill everyone."  icon_eek

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2009, 03:26:07 PM »

If that's the case, they're really scraping since there are people that do the sound/color thing.  It's called synesthesia.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2009, 03:39:14 PM »

this show has more personalities than Night of a Hundred Stars.  just pick a damn path and go down it.  don't "change it up" every 32 seconds because you can.  it's like they're finishing each script 4 minutes before air time.  while this works for South Park, the writers of Heroes are clearly not as intelligent.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2009, 04:04:22 PM »

I didn't watch the premiere until friday, and I don't think Tivo recorded last monday's episode for me. Irrespective, I'm out. Will probably netflix the season when it's finished, but I don't like the path the writers are taking the show.

However, introducing the 'carnival freaks' is kind of necessary, isn't it? To keep a show going, you can introduce more characters. It's like X-Men introducing another group of mutants who have banded together. HOWEVER, in order to tie it into the original four chapters, at least one of the carnival characters should be someone we've met before. Too bad Heroes likes to kill off everyone once they're no longer needed for the show. Otherwise that might have worked better. I mean, stick the mailman guy from the web series they did a few years ago in (assuming he's still alive), or something. I'm not asking much. Just the slightest introduction to continuity.

I do like a few of the things they are doing. Peter helping people as a paramedic is pretty cool. Noah looking to redeem himself for what he's done to mutants is pretty cool. Other parts however are growing stale. Hiro having issues like cancer and going to die because he uses his powers is boring and stupid - we're watching this show to see people use their powers. No one wants to see the company reform again ever, we're all sick of that plot line.

Frequently it feels like the show doesn't know what it wants to do with a character, but feels like they have to keep them around, regardless. It's okay if a character doesn't fit into a season. You can write them out and bring them back later guys. It's alright - we won't mind and be all like 'so when's Hiro coming to america this season?' and 'When's Suresh going to go back to india only to have an excuse to go back to america.'

I also think the 'big story' focus is getting irritating. Each chapter has to have a huge story, and they start it immediately following the end of the previous season. However, some transitional episodes would really help bring things into greater focus. Maybe a three-episode "chapter" only focusing on a few characters, letting them get a greater part of the limelight.
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2009, 04:16:21 PM »

I'm easy.  I'll take Heroes and House over whatever reality/talent show happens to be airing.  Yeah, Heroes isn't as good as season 1.  It's still better than three quarters of the tripe offered by the networks.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2009, 05:15:25 PM »

Quote from: dmd on September 30, 2009, 04:16:21 PM

I'm easy.  I'll take Heroes and House over whatever reality/talent show happens to be airing.  Yeah, Heroes isn't as good as season 1.  It's still better than three quarters of the tripe offered by the networks.

sticking with something because it's better than having a nail driven through your forehead isn't exactly a rousing endorsement.   Tongue

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2009, 10:22:21 PM »

Thank goodness for Sylar.  He's the only thing keeping me tuning in.

Moliere made me laugh with this because it is so pathetically true of the idiocy of this show sometimes:

"Hey, I'm a strange dude showing up late at night in the middle of your party. My mom and dad used to be servants in this house 30 years ago. Would you mind if I just wander around nostalgic for a bit? Oh, you would? Guess I'm going to have to kill everyone."   

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: