http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 10:16:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heroes premiers tonight *spoilers!*  (Read 7397 times)
JLu
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2006, 03:59:56 PM »

Anyone else planning on watching?  I am curious about this one; Tivo set to go... 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 05:54:13 PM by warning » Logged

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 04:04:49 PM »

I'll bet getting it via torrent since Mondays at 9pm are already taking up both my tuners without throwing Heroes into the mix.  Looking forward to it.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 04:11:42 PM »

All I've been hearing on this one is the radio spots for it.  Any trailers or articles out there on it?  I'm interested, but skeptical.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 04:22:58 PM »

http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/articles/2006/09/25/the_strength_of_heroes_is_its_psychological_nuance/

I stopped reading this review once it started going too in depth on plot...  The idea behind it is interesting to me; sounds a lot like Marvel's "New Universe" experiment in the mid '80s.  I'll have to really like it to watch a second week though; I feel I watch far too much TV as it stands right now.

Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 04:27:07 PM »

Definitely looking forward to it, and I've heard a lot of good things so far. NBC doesn't seem to have as quick a hook as other networks, so maybe a sci-fi show can last for more than a month or two.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 04:27:40 PM »

Christ that article was spoilerific.  Damn.

I watch less than 1 hour of TV per week because I find it pretty lame.  But this might be the new series that snags me this year.. Lost, well, lost me after Season 2 with how poor the story became.  Firefly, well that lost me when they cancelled it and damaged my opinion of the networks irrepairably for a good long time.

I haven't watched much since.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 04:31:41 PM »

Gonna give this a go. I'm not sure about it, but it's worth a shot.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 04:45:57 PM »

Okay...now I'm convinced that I'm going to sit down and watch the show (if I can pull myself away from Devil Summoner)...

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 04:48:15 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on September 25, 2006, 04:45:57 PM

Okay...now I'm convinced that I'm going to sit down and watch the show (if I can pull myself away fromDevil Summoner)...

Ooh, I'm a little jealous. 
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 04:50:30 PM »

I'm watching it.  I think it comes on at the same time as Vanished which has hooked me.  I'll either have to figure out the VCR or torrent it.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 05:48:45 PM »

I too want to hurt the guy who mocks me with his ability to play Devil Summoner.  icon_twisted

And this premiers tonight? Great! It will be only four more weeks 'til they move it to friday, and two more weeks from then until it's pulled. disgust

Guys, it's a major network show.  Who cares if it's about super heroes, they're still going to make a generic series.  They're network tv people.  Twin Peaks was about the only risk they'll ever take.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 06:24:01 PM »

I saw either a pilot for the series or the first epsidoe last week.  (Was marked as Ep 0). 

I'll take a peek at tonight to see if it's the same as what I have, but it's VERY VERY GOOD.

The Japanese guy is a hoot, too.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 06:43:26 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on September 25, 2006, 06:24:01 PM

The Japanese guy is a hoot, too.

As they all are!
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 08:51:33 PM »

Thanks for the reminder!  I would have missed it.  Setting DVR now.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 08:57:25 PM »

Quote from: Nth Power on September 25, 2006, 08:51:33 PM

Thanks for the reminder!  I would have missed it.  Setting DVR now.

Ditto, thanks!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 09:17:20 PM »

I need another DVR (or our freakin cable upgraded to allow dual tuners).

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 10:03:10 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on September 25, 2006, 09:17:20 PM

What stops you from just using a coax splitter to go to two tuners?
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2006, 10:29:54 PM »

Since this doesn't overlap the game, I'll be watching.   I'm coming from a skeptics point of view, since I see it(based on the previews) as a Xman/4400 ripoff.  I like Ali Larter though, so I'm game.   The title "Heroes" implies that they will in fact do heroic things, that could be fun to see, especially if they are competitive with each other.  The 4400 doesn't really involve them doing heroic things, so there's room for a show to explore that area.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 10:55:23 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 25, 2006, 04:04:49 PM

I'll bet getting it via torrent since Mondays at 9pm are already taking up both my tuners without throwing Heroes into the mix.  Looking forward to it.

SciFi is rebroadcasting Heroes on Friday nights starting this week. I believe it's on at 8:00 PM EST/5:00 PST.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 01:25:02 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on September 25, 2006, 10:55:23 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 25, 2006, 04:04:49 PM

SciFi is rebroadcasting Heroes on Friday nights starting this week. I believe it's on at 8:00 PM EST/5:00 PST.

Hmm, that's a possiblity though Sci-Fi's picture (at least on DirecTV) sucks from way too much overcompression. 

Although that brings to mind UHD- I'm assuming Heroes will show up there at some point so it might be worth waiting so I can still see it in HD...
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 01:50:52 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 25, 2006, 10:03:10 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on September 25, 2006, 09:17:20 PM

What stops you from just using a coax splitter to go to two tuners?

A/B cable... I could split to another cable box/DVR, but then I'd have to pay for another cable box and DVR.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 02:01:31 AM »

just caught the last half, I like the premise and the idea, hopefully it will develop into something real good. The sneak at the end gave some neat-o hints that'd make me want to watch this regularly before I goto bed on Mondays. Hopefully they develop the characters really well.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 02:03:49 AM »

meh.

It's okay, but it seem souless.  I'll tune in next week and if it doesn't grab me, I'm done.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2006, 02:04:33 AM »

I'm impressed. And happy.  That is some of the best television I've seen since the initial season of Numbers and Firefly.   Can't wait for next Monday.   Oh...and that was an evil ending. smile

BTW, the man in glasses....who is he?  I've seen him somewhere before....

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 02:08:41 AM »

I agree, fantastic new series.. My luck, it will be cancelled within 6 months.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2006, 02:09:21 AM »

Other than the Super-Hiro part, which I thought was really funny, and the fact that the blonde is cute (not the 17 year old, the other one) - I can't really say I liked it all that much.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 03:26:31 AM »

Heroes got off to a great start, and Studio 60 didn't suffer from a letdown after the premier episode. Throw in How I Met Your Mother, and Monday's turning into a pretty good TV night.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2006, 05:37:45 AM »

Big thumbs up from me.

Ali Larter doing a RealPeachez/MelissaMidwest thing earned alot of goodwill from me.  In fact, I'm certain that much of this show was designed with today's pop culture/internet savvy audience in mind.  IE,  the Japanese fetish for scat(obliquely hinted at), the Ogrish type elements of the cheerleader's story,  the handheld video of the jump that played like one of those Toyota truck commercials, stuff like that.  I got a kick out of all that.

I liked that they leveraged their concept for its best advantage- pacing.   They keep throwing the stories at you and it keeps things from bogging down.

One minor pet peeve, and this is just a preference of mine, is that this show should have a rule that ALL their powers must be represented visually in some way.   
Spoiler for Hiden:
Ali Larter's character did her thing off camera- boo!  Considering how graphic the cheerleader's 'hand down the drain' scene was, why cheese out?  We saw the paintings, we saw the teleporting, we saw the jumping and we saw the flying.   At least rewrite the scene so you can show what happened, that's what I wanted to see.   Unless they are saving her power to be revealed in some kind of shocking scene later, but then it had better be damn good.  If it just turns out that her alter ego did some Matrix type fighting they might as well have shown that now.

Anyways, I'm in for the long haul on this one.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2006, 08:37:23 AM »

Quote from: gameoverman on September 26, 2006, 05:37:45 AM

Big thumbs up from me.

Ali Larter doing a RealPeachez/MelissaMidwest thing earned alot of goodwill from me.  In fact, I'm certain that much of this show was designed with today's pop culture/internet savvy audience in mind.  IE,  the Japanese fetish for scat(obliquely hinted at), the Ogrish type elements of the cheerleader's story,  the handheld video of the jump that played like one of those Toyota truck commercials, stuff like that.  I got a kick out of all that.

I liked that they leveraged their concept for its best advantage- pacing.   They keep throwing the stories at you and it keeps things from bogging down.

One minor pet peeve, and this is just a preference of mine, is that this show should have a rule that ALL their powers must be represented visually in some way.   
Spoiler for Hiden:
Ali Larter's character did her thing off camera- boo!  Considering how graphic the cheerleader's 'hand down the drain' scene was, why cheese out?  We saw the paintings, we saw the teleporting, we saw the jumping and we saw the flying.   At least rewrite the scene so you can show what happened, that's what I wanted to see.   Unless they are saving her power to be revealed in some kind of shocking scene later, but then it had better be damn good.  If it just turns out that her alter ego did some Matrix type fighting they might as well have shown that now.

Spoiler for Hiden:
But it was on film, the camcorder that was running during the event and she grabbed it on the way out so I expect we may see it some day (soon I hope)

I liked it.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2006, 12:28:41 PM »

I turned it off after fifteen minutes.  Allergy medicine was clogging my mind, but some of the dialogue seemed pretty poor.  I'll try again, but don't forsee setting my tivo for week two.

And it may have been the drugs, but all I could think was Professor X, Angel, Wolverine and Nightcrawler (didn't see enough of Ali's powers to figure out if she is Jean Grey?)

warning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2006, 01:38:44 PM »

I liked it a lot.  I thought the Japanese character stole the entire show.  I'd pay money to watch just him and his friend talk for an hour.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2006, 05:59:09 PM »

Quote from: JLu on September 26, 2006, 12:28:41 PM

I turned it off after fifteen minutes.  Allergy medicine was clogging my mind, but some of the dialogue seemed pretty poor.  I'll try again, but don't forsee setting my tivo for week two.

And it may have been the drugs, but all I could think was Professor X, Angel, Wolverine and Nightcrawler (didn't see enough of Ali's powers to figure out if she is Jean Grey?)
Oh, it's unabashedly an X-men rip-off.  That's a bad thing?
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2006, 06:10:28 PM »

Quote from: Bob on September 26, 2006, 05:59:09 PM

Quote from: JLu on September 26, 2006, 12:28:41 PM

Oh, it's unabashedly an X-men rip-off.  That's a bad thing?

Didn't mean it in a bad way at all -- just wondering if/when Marvel will sue, or if it isn't close enough for that.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2006, 06:22:24 PM »

I believe that the premeire is going to be on again on NBC tonight at 8:00 Eastern, 7:00 Central.  If you didn't catch all of it last night, you might want to try to catch it tonight.  I liked it a lot and I will probably watch it again to see what I missed the first time around.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2006, 06:48:49 PM »

For those dissatisfied with the premiere, you may want to stick around for a few episodes. The first hour moves pretty slowly because The pilot was originally supposed to be 2 hours, but NBC decided to air it in two parts. Things should start picking up in the second half.

The show performed really well in the ratings:

“Heroes” lived up to the hype and then some.

The new NBC sci fi show premiered last night at 9 p.m. with a 5.9 adults 18-49 rating, according to Nielsen overnights, becoming not just the evening’s highest-rated show but also NBC’s best new drama premiere since “Crossing Jordan” in 2001.

Perhaps most significantly for NBC, after an opening week in which nearly all the high-profile drama premieres saw big losses during their second half hours, “Heroes” grew from 9 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., jumping 13 percent from a 5.6 to a 6.3.

That helped NBC to its second straight Monday night victory over CBS, averaging a 4.7/12 for the evening to CBS’s 4.4/11.

“Heroes” averaged 14.29 million total viewers, first in its timeslot.

“Heroes” is now the second-highest-rated new show of the season in 18-49s, behind “Brothers & Sisters” at a 6.0, and it could well become the season’s breakout new hit. Unlike ABC’s “Sisters,” which had the benefit of a huge “Desperate Housewives” lead-in, “Heroes” built from a relatively modest 3.8 from “Deal or No Deal” at 8 p.m.

Source: http://www.medialifemagazine.com/artman/publish/article_7534.asp
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2006, 07:21:17 PM »

I really enjoyed the premiere episode.  It felt a little bit like "The 4400" where people are given powers for some mysterious reason.  There were a couple moments where the speeches about "who you are" and "destiny" became a little cheesy, but I figure they were to mainly set the tone of the show.  So far, it's the best show out of the new crop I've seen.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2006, 10:33:56 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on September 26, 2006, 02:04:33 AM

BTW, the man in glasses....who is he?  I've seen him somewhere before....

I was thinking it was this guy:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001089/

But no credits are listed for Heroes for him and no listing in the Heroes section on who the guy with the glasses is being played by.

I swear it was him though when I saw him but could be wrong.

Regards,
Pig
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2006, 10:52:39 PM »

Oh yea I forgot...

Am I the only one that noticed the props or whatever to the two Chinese college students that did the Back Street Boys lip sync thing on You tube?

It is when Hiro and his friend were in the bar.  I laughed out loud on that one and since no one else has mentioned it maybe I am crazy LOL.

They are wearing the same clothes though and singing the same song.  Check it out.

Regards,
Pig
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2006, 01:54:55 PM »

I noticed there were two different versions of the premiere available online.  One was televised, one was not.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Things I noticed different... Hiro's coworker is shown typing to Nikki in the non-aired one, in the aired one it shows her website instead. Nikki is woken up by her son calling in the aired one instead of by her friend saying the kid is missing along with $300. (the whole scene of the kid asking about tickets on the phone is gone too.) Also the muse/artist cuts his hand off in the non-aired one. There were more differences but I don't recall them right now.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2006, 11:32:45 PM »

i caught the replay of this last night and really enjoyed it...very cool premise, good execution, and all the little internet/pop-culture references were very well done.  i've added the show to my DVR and will definitely be following it for a while

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: