http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 08:38:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HERO! Whoa...awesome movie  (Read 2428 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 30, 2004, 01:33:27 AM »

So I just got back from checking out Hero.  Man...what a great movie.  Cinematography, story line, martial arts....awesome!!  Anyone else seen it yet?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 02:03:43 AM »

did you watch Zatoichi yet?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 03:46:25 AM »

Can't find it on the shelves...I've called around too.  Its either stolen or checked out or they just don't have it...might have to sign up to one of the *flix places to get a copy. :/

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 04:10:13 AM »

Zaitoichi is still in the theaters, me thinks.

Simon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 05:04:55 AM »

We saw it today and I liked it, but didn't love it. Considering the similarities, I think I preferred Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon more. Not sure what it was really, but I guess I just felt like it looked beautiful but it wasn't much more than that.

Ron, see if you can rent Swordsman II on DVD. I liked that more too.
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 01:12:51 PM »

I'm sort of the same way: liked, but didn't love Hero.  It felt, uh... repititious.  Maybe because it was?  The cinematography was gorgeous, though.

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 03:14:14 PM »

I really need to see this. Oh well, I guess Ill get around to it eventaully. Too bad though, I wanted to see this in theatres and not have it be one of my netflix rentals.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 02:45:50 AM »

I saw this on Saturday morning prior to getting ready for my wedding. smile Overall, a good B flick. Stunning cinematography. The fight in the yellow leaves and the fight on the water tops were just mind blowing in their beauty. And I really liked that it was "Rashamon" with insane martial arts too. That being said...

Way too repetitious after a while. The water fight, while lovely to look at, was the same fight we'd seen for the last 10 fights, and was boring to boot. The characters' hearts weren't in it, and apparently neither was the director's. The love story between Broken Sword and Falling Snow was good, but the denoument was eh. His response I believed. Hers I didn't. Overall, a good "Chinese Myth" movie that was entertaining for the most part, but it became the same fight again and again. The stand-outs were the first fight with the Spear Master (whose name escapes me), any of the fights with Falling Snow, the "How far am I from the stacks of wood?" part, the fight between Broken Sword and the Emperor, and the final discussions between the Emperor and Jet Li.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 02:56:39 AM »

His name was Sky.

I suppose that as a martial artist I could see the intracacy in each fight scene so it didn't become boring for me. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 05:44:39 PM »

I saw this last year on DVD (chinese import)
-The storyline is a little convoluted and the martial arts are okay.    But the CINEMA work and artistic expression is unbelieveably beautiful.

Whats the movie like in the Cinema?  Is it dubbed?  or subtitled?

I wonder if there are any differences from the Chinese release as far as scenes or editing.  Maybe i should go see it in the theatre...

By the way, If you guys need any recommendations for Kung Fu or Samurai movies just ask. smile  
If you really liked the old Clint Eastwood movies (Good Bad Uglt, Fistful of Dollars) you should check out one of the greatest old school Samurai movies with the greatest Japanese actor of all time, Yojimbo starring, ToshirĂ´ Mifune.  Make sure to check out his other movies including Sanjuro and the SUPER LONG (200+ mins) Seven Samurai.  Old american westerns were eventually based on these movies.  More specifically Fistful of Dollars, Magnificent Seven and others.  You'll have to like old school stuff though.  Great storylines.  

If you like the special effects and stuff like that I recommend, The Legend of Zu and the okay but cult classic Storm Riders.  You can rent some of these but they are hard to find.  Other wise check out amazon!  They come cheap.

And if you really like cheezy Kung Fu from the 70s and 80s I've got a ton of recommendations including The Prodigal Son, Unbeaten 28 and Five Deadly Venoms.

Most of those IMDB links are the chinese verison.  You can find released american versions of most of these on Amazon.  (most have different covers)

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 05:51:06 PM »

It was subtitled.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 11:30:43 PM »

Quote from: "Jack Burton"
cult classic Storm Riders.

Isn't Hero based on some of the same characters as Storm Riders?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2004, 02:53:55 AM »

And if you really like cheezy Kung Fu from the 70s and 80s I've got a ton of recommendations including The Prodigal Son, Unbeaten 28 and Five Deadly Venoms.

You listed cheezy Kung Fu yet you didn't list The Last Dragon? Shame on you. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2004, 09:30:58 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

You listed cheezy Kung Fu yet you didn't list The Last Dragon? Shame on you. biggrin

Ahhh!  Yes.  But that was an american made movie right?  Not Chinese or Japanese.  I'm actually not very familiar with that one.  Is it entertaining?

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2004, 09:35:11 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
cult classic Storm Riders.

Isn't Hero based on some of the same characters as Storm Riders?

Not really.  The three main characters in Storm Riders are Wind, Cloud and Frost.  The storylines between the two are way different.

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2004, 12:19:41 AM »

Not really.  The three main characters in Storm Riders are Wind, Cloud and Frost.  The storylines between the two are way different.

Forgive me; it's been a while. smile

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: