http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 01:08:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me pick my new mobile phone  (Read 718 times)
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2012, 04:35:00 AM »

So I am in need of a new mobile phone since my crappy Samsung Omnia is starting to kick the bucket.  I don't know if I should wait for the iPhone 5 or just get the iPhone 4S, or maybe go the Android route and pick up a Droid Razr.  On the one hand, I was impressed with what I saw with Siri at my local Apple store, but the difference between 3G and 4G LTE was huge (I am on Verizon, BTW).  So I need some input on what would be the best course of action for me. smile

Some other things to note:
-I do have an iPad 2 so an iPhone would be cool to do the iCloud stuff with, but I don't know how useful that will be in the long run.
-I have a Gmail account and do a lot of things with Google, so Android OS would be more convenient than iOS?

Help! biggrin
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 05:39:28 AM »

Gmail works seamlessly with iOS.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 06:39:53 AM »

I prefer Android just because of the more open nature of it, but then still have my ipod touch for iOS games. If you have an ipad already, why not venture out into Android territory?
A couple of apps you can get on Android (without rooting) are tethering apps to share your 4G connection, call block programs to block unknown or unwanted calls (can't believe iphone still doesn't have this in 2012), and prank dialing apps. Google also allows you to install non marketplace store apps without the need to root, so if something is deemed to 'adult' or 'offensive' for the official app store, you can still pick it up directly from the publisher. Apple has way too much control on what they deem 'appropriate' for iOS.
As you already mentioned the verizon iphone is still only 3G, while most of their Androids are 4G LTE. (1mb-2mb with pings of 200+ versus 10mb+ and pings 100 or less. If you're even remotely interested in online gaming that should be a major factor in your decision.)

There's of course Google voice, which sounds a lot like Siri. And then there's a couple AI apps that add similar features to Android (how long until Apple sues?) and of course, there's an awesome online-only game called Project INF that's only on Android. 24 player online team battles in real-time.

Even though I can use the iPhone keyboard (my last iPhone was the 3g model with ATT) I still prefer having an actual physical keyboard, and with Android it's all about choice.
Some of the newer Android phones have HDMI ports so you can hook up to your big screen TV for games or movies. I used to stream jetflicks (which is only available on mobile) to my HDTV using the HDMI port to watch the newer tv shows.

Also you don't have to sync your android to your computer just to get it working. The updates are all over-the-air and it's your choice if you want to hook it up to a computer or not.. but it'll work right out of the box. No itunes required.

Some of the dual-core tegra androids are putting out some incredibly games, including online ones. Of course so is iOS, which again is what my ipod touch is for. I'm still waiting for a COD zombies multiplayer for android like they did for iOS.

Each has it's ups and downs and if you didn't already have an ipad, it'd be a lot harder to suggest the right phone.. but as you do, it may be time to give Android a try.

Oh, and you can use memory cards!  icon_wink

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 12:28:26 PM »

Six months ago, I would have been talking up the WP7. Still an amazing phone, but I feel like MS has kind of given up.

I got an iPad at the end of the summer, and I've slowly come to the realization, with all of the Universal apps I have, that I'm probably going to be caving in and getting an iPhone in the fall.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 01:56:51 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 21, 2012, 12:28:26 PM

Six months ago, I would have been talking up the WP7. Still an amazing phone, but I feel like MS has kind of given up.

I got an iPad at the end of the summer, and I've slowly come to the realization, with all of the Universal apps I have, that I'm probably going to be caving in and getting an iPhone in the fall.

Really?  I get the distinct impression that they have not given up. Windows 8 launching, WP8 coming out this year, new phones with multicores (the single core phones are VERY responsive, IMO)etc... - I love the simplicity of my phone, and I've been (and still am to a small degree) an iOS user.

Beyond a WP7.5 (mango) phone like the Nokia Lumia 8xx /9xx, you could get an HTC Titan (almost too big).

I have a Samsung Focus (older model), and I'd be up for a Samsung Focus S, or the Focus Flash if you want to go cheaper. The older models don't have the front facing camera, but it can use a micro-SD card that supports up to 32GB (bringing my phone to a 40GB WP7).

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SGH-I937OKAATT

http://www.samsung.com/us/article/windows-phone-7-5-explained

There is more to it than just what is listed. Live Drive, for instance, has been around long before iCloud. I absolutely love the fact that my phone, while on wifi and plugged into a charger, will automatically sync. Having the integration that's in it (social media, contacts, email, etc) makes things easier in just picking it up and using it.

If you need to get a phone now and aren't thinking about WP, I'd recommend getting an Android phone instead.

IMHO, I think the W8Tablets coming out may well change the market - and it's best that they do. iOS tablet vs. Windows 8 tablet? The only thing that Apple has going is about a bazillion "flashlight" apps. Replace flashlight with pretty much anything you want - so the selection is there, if you can find it. The marketplace is both full, and overfull. The new iPad offers a multicore GPU and a pixel density that is overkill. I'd rather lose a third of the density and improve upon other aspects such as battery life, having tactile touch, etc.

The new iPad is a small evolutionary step. I'm glad they're out there and pushing the marketplace, but if there wasn't competition we'd have stagnation. I think Apple is keeping MS in check, and now it's MS's turn to check back.

WP doesn't have the market share at this point - but with Metro coming forefront, I really hope this doesn't turn out to be the next Vista - the phone is a fantastic interface.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 02:01:25 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 01:59:54 PM »

Android is great if you want to modify everything but stability isn't important. Also app quality is much, much lower. You can complain about Apple's rigidness, but the difference in iOS apps versus Android is very obvious. iOS apps are of much higher quality. Not to say there isn't crap on iOS, but there are standards that Android does not have and it shows.

As far as stability it's the same as Mac vs PC. Everything made for one manufacturer/OS is much more stable than a loose platform. Not that an iPhone won't crash or have problems, but since they test all the apps there is less of a possibility.

After owning a Droid and an iPhone, I would never go back to Android. They have some amazing hardware, but the OS lacks stability and the app store is a mess.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 02:07:58 PM »

Purge, flashlight apps? What are you talking about?

The pro MS/Google posts in this thread seem a bit ignorant. Yes Google and MS have some good stuff coming out, but let's not pretend that Apple's stuff is only popular because of the name.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 02:15:54 PM »

Oh and an iPhone kills any Android in both battery life and pixel count Purge. Any big screen Android is lucky to get 4 hours of battery life if you shut everything down. An iPhone will go 8 hours with no changes to the settings. talking from experience, not press releases.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 02:22:07 PM »

I'm not pretending, Lee.

The best thing about iOS is jailbreaking it.  The applications available may be, initially, compelling. After having one for 3 years, I can safely say I use about 6 apps, and its interface is very limited and having "multi-tasking" as an option is silly. I don't want to run 3 apps at once - I want one app to do 3 things - switching between programs (except at natural junction points, such as clicking a URL in an email and being taken to a browser) is cumbersome.

Granted, I'm not a 3g/4g customer (relying on WiFi since I don't feel like paying for a data plan when I don't really need it and have WiFi available to around 97% of my existence), but I can't recommend the latest iPhone. It just doesn't feel right to do so - the touted features between 4 and 4s extend to pretty much : this one has Siri (which would work on other models, except that it needs to be the bullet-point difference to justify 4s).

Sorry, but WP7 has the same voice search function, as well as integrated text recognition, code scanning and text-to-voice-to-text search capabilities without needing an app for it. No, it doesn't have a "personality" like Siri, and while asking Siri to do certain things (Call me Lord Vader), that doesn't meet my day-to-day needs.

Being able to group people together, send them messages and be able to keep up with them on social media with ONE touch? Please. Being able to then have updates posted on live tiles right on my start menu? Yep. I have at-a-glance, with full customization which is both simple and effective.

The biggest knock against WP (besides Apples' patent for touch-number-goto-dialer stopping them from doing that) is it doesn't integrate with anything other than Bing - I can't really fault MS for trying to push their own search engine in their own OS. You can use whichever search you want in the browser etc, and for the most part, Bing works just fine.

The only thing missing is the glut of apps that Apple has in its warehouse. WP7 doesn't have all 3 angry birds games (tomorrow it's 4). It still has one of them, and I'm sure as their market presence grows, we'll see them get better apps.

I don't begrudge iOS, or it's fanbase. I've tried it, and I've left it unimpressed.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 02:40:41 PM »

As soon as MS started releasing WP7 apps onto the App Store, it seemed the beginning of the end.

It used to be that new, official apps were trumpeted and were always at the top of the list in the Marketplace on Wednesday AM.  Now I frequently don't see them until Thursday, and I have to go looking.  Plus, I don't remember the last official game I was excited about.  Kinectimals was kind of cool, but they released that on the iPhone.

I was excited about Windows 8 until I saw what Metro looks like on the 360.  My enthusiasm has waned considerably.  I'm still curious, at least.

WP7 hasn't made even a dent in the phone market.  I know they weren't expecting to topple Apple right out of the gate, but I'm pretty sure they were hoping to take a big chunk out of Android's market.  For US consumers, it's like the phone doesn't exist.

It sucks, because there are a number of things that they did first, like cloud-like features, as you say.  The integration is great.  They were even doing Siri-like stuff way before iPhone, and I use it all the time.  But Apple polished it up and gave it a name, and now Siri's in sitcoms and has wedged itself in the public consciousness.

Press releases have dropped to nothing.  The horrible Hot Apps thing on the 360 is buried and often disappears for weeks at a time.  There is not only no momentum in the phone market, there's none from MS, either.

So, yes, it does give the appearance that Microsoft has kinda given up.  Even with half-hearted mentios that they haven't, there's been nothing to back that up.

Now maybe they're saving resources for WP8, but that foesn't change the fact that they're no longer behind WP7 as strongly as they used to be.  Nor does it make WP7 an easily recommendable phone any more.

And if Windows 8 tanks...

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 02:43:56 PM »

To each their own Purge, but you exaggerate the negatives of Apple. Yes they have a huge store with many Apps that do the same thing. That's a good thing, not a negative. It raises the bar on quality, and that is after Apple approves them, weeding out the crap. I have no experience with Windows phones, but there really is no comparison for Google's store. Searching the Google store is like trying to find the needle in the haystack. Apple's store has flaws (so many apps it's hard to find that hidden gem) but the quality is so much better.

The iPhone is a great piece of hardware with a solid OS. Android is also pretty awesome, and has better phones, but battery life is bad, the apps are weak, and it's not the most stable of phones ( but not as bad as it used to be). The iPhone may not be the best option, but it is a great phone for a lot of people. It popular because it's a good phone, not because of the name.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 02:47:51 PM »

If you are into games a lot, an Iphone is the way to go I'm afraid. I have a samsung Galaxy S pro, which is a great android phone with a ton of modifable content and options, but as someone else noted - the store is a mess. There's even virus' in some of the stuff up there.

My GF has an iphone, and ive borrowed it for many games. THe thing is - on IOS you only have to make sure the program runs on what, 5 different Iphones - on android, you game has to work across 100's of different phones, making it a lot harder to develop for and to test. This means there are less games for Android.

You should also keep in mind that the newest updates for your phone are dependant on what brand you buy unless you buy a pure google phone.

A new one
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 02:50:34 PM »

I had Android.  Now I have an iPhone 4S.  It is vastly, vastly superior.  It pains me to say this.

Apps are better, performance is better, battery life is better, interface is better.

Just get an Otterbox so you don't break it.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 02:56:13 PM »

One good thing about getting an iPhone is that all the app purchases you've made for the iPad (compatible) apps will transfer over free of charge. If you go with another mobile OS, you're starting completely from scratch. I don't know enough about WP7 or Android to give you an unbiased opinion, but little things like the almost seamless integration of iMessage between the iPhone and iPad would make the decision a no-brainer for me.

Should you choose to go with the iPhone, not knowing what the specs for the 5 are, the only question should be whether you can wait until the end of the year for it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 03:04:20 PM »

Quote from: Lee on March 21, 2012, 02:15:54 PM

Oh and an iPhone kills any Android in both battery life and pixel count Purge. Any big screen Android is lucky to get 4 hours of battery life if you shut everything down. An iPhone will go 8 hours with no changes to the settings. talking from experience, not press releases.

1280x720 (Super Amoled +) vs 960x640 (iPhone Retina).

And now the HD Super Amoleds and the new Amoled stripe, where the FMM (Fine Metal Mask) isn't there to add a graininess to images.

I'm not going to argue about picture presentation - the Retina is a lovely display. My point was that at a certain point, pixel density is beyond human vision and isn't the biggest purchase incentive.

The past two offerings from the iBrand for the iPhone are practically the same (to date). The new iPad came out with a Retina display - a feature that was lamented in being absent from the iPad2.

The New iPad isn't much different otherwise, so we're looking at the same product as the prior generation. In recommending a product, which hasn't changed in a while, why would I be called out for not saying an iPhone isn't the safest bet (today's models).

the iPhone Next/5/ "The new iPhone" may be far more compelling, but as it stands, with iOS5.x I'm unimpressed and am looking far more forward to what the new version of Metro holds for the WP series.

User experience varies. I find BT eats battery life regardless of phone, but since I don't have an Android phone to compare, I'll just have to be happy with the lifespan in my Samsung Focus.

I'd only suggested the Android because I don't buy the addage "Better the devil you know..." slywink If it didn't pass the smell test for a bunch of you, then I take that into consideration in my purchasing agenda.

For now, make mine Metro. We'll see what WP8 / HD Super Amoled has to say. I'm not buying anything right now (tablet included).

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 03:07:04 PM »

In terms of app compatibility across tablet /phones, as I understand it the apps I have purchased will work, but were I to get the New iPad, I'd be looking at repurchasing them as "HD" versions.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 03:35:05 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 21, 2012, 03:07:04 PM

In terms of app compatibility across tablet /phones, as I understand it the apps I have purchased will work, but were I to get the New iPad, I'd be looking at repurchasing them as "HD" versions.

Not true, for the most part.  Some publishers do that, out of greed or to keep file sizes down for some users or claiming to keep file sizes down, but really out of greed.  But many, many apps are Universal and will work across all of the devices with one purchase.  Also, iPhone apps will run on the iPad, and apparently look very nice on the new one's retina display.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 04:01:57 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on March 21, 2012, 02:56:13 PM

One good thing about getting an iPhone is that all the app purchases you've made for the iPad (compatible) apps will transfer over free of charge. If you go with another mobile OS, you're starting completely from scratch. I don't know enough about WP7 or Android to give you an unbiased opinion, but little things like the almost seamless integration of iMessage between the iPhone and iPad would make the decision a no-brainer for me.

Should you choose to go with the iPhone, not knowing what the specs for the 5 are, the only question should be whether you can wait until the end of the year for it.

The same goes for Android phones and tablets. I purchased quite a few games on my Android phone and then re-downloaded them on my Android tablet. You can re-download your purchases an unlimited number of times, across any devices.

Apple has game center and I love it, but the OP already has an iOS device.. which is why I recommend Android over the iPhone. There are still a good number of Android-only games (including those with online multiplayer) that you won't find on apple's app store. If you get a good tegra device, you'll see Android games that can nearly rival a console's graphics.
I'm on the Android app store a couple times a week and don't think it's a mess.. everything organized by game types, books, movies, apps by type (entertainment, utilities, etc.) and of course there's the search function.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 04:21:38 PM »

Lee, how much is Apple paying you for your posting? biggrin

You're absolutely wrong on battery, for example. The iphone does better than most android phones in battery - absolutely. However there are android models that it does not do better than. The Razr Maxxx is an obvious example that leaps to mind. Sometimes it's a little easy to get caught up in comparisons, but let's remember that Apple essentially has ONE MODEL. It's not perfect at anything. It is a well-designed, reliable piece of equipment + software. To act like it's better than everything else everyone puts out at everything is just ridiculous. "Android" is a very big blanket at this point. There are multiple manufacturers each individually with significantly more models than Apple has. Each of these models has its strengths (granted sometimes that strength is simple price point, but for the high end devices that is absolutely not the case).

Everything has a trade-off. Apple makes tradeoffs, the various phone manufacturers building for android make tradeoffs. A lot of people are very happy with the balance Apple found with their single device. Other people prefer the balance other manufacturers found. Personally I've found android to be very stable, and problem free. I don't have any difficulty finding apps to do what I want. I've fiddled with iphones some of my friends have - it is a good device. Just not quite for me as it doesn't fit my needs.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 04:56:32 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 21, 2012, 03:35:05 PM

Not true, for the most part.  Some publishers do that, out of greed or to keep file sizes down for some users or claiming to keep file sizes down, but really out of greed.  But many, many apps are Universal and will work across all of the devices with one purchase.  Also, iPhone apps will run on the iPad, and apparently look very nice on the new one's retina display.

This. Not all apps do this, and I imagine that it's the same case with Android.

Quote from: corruptrelic on March 21, 2012, 04:01:57 PM

Quote from: rickfc on March 21, 2012, 02:56:13 PM

The same goes for Android phones and tablets. I purchased quite a few games on my Android phone and then re-downloaded them on my Android tablet. You can re-download your purchases an unlimited number of times, across any devices.

Apple has game center and I love it, but the OP already has an iOS device.. which is why I recommend Android over the iPhone. There are still a good number of Android-only games (including those with online multiplayer) that you won't find on apple's app store. If you get a good tegra device, you'll see Android games that can nearly rival a console's graphics.
I'm on the Android app store a couple times a week and don't think it's a mess.. everything organized by game types, books, movies, apps by type (entertainment, utilities, etc.) and of course there's the search function.

I understand this line of logic if you want to play some of the Android-only games, but it just doesn't make any sense any other way. Say I have a game on the iPad that also runs on the iPhone - why would I want to repurchase that app on another platform when I can just install it on several devices for free?

That's my $.02
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 05:05:28 PM »

I've found that the apps I have DO have HD versions. I think I'd probably take the leap for the ones I use regularly. It's not a deal-breaker per se - but iOS doesn't inspire me to buy ATM.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 05:08:28 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 21, 2012, 03:35:05 PM

I can confirm that apps that run in retina mode on the iPhone look almost as good in 2x mode on the new iPad.  Unlike how it worked for previous generations.
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 08:55:10 PM »

@kratz, what model Android did you have? The bad thing about Android is that there are some really low spec hardware out there running Android. Google isn't keen on setting a minimum spec for Android for some reason, so there is a wide variety of user experience with them. What runs okay on my Evo 4G might run like crap on a HTC Hero and run fantastic on a Galaxy SII. This is definitely a weakness for Android. Battery life is comparable and has been for some time. The primary difference is the 4G phones. Using 4G drains the battery like a boss. I get 6-8 hours with normal use on my Evo 4G on a non-extended battery. If I turn on 4G, I get 4 hours or less.

It's actually a really bad time to buy a phone. The latest ICS-based models have been announced, but aren't hitting shelves for another month or so. I'd really look into the HTC One line and the Galaxy SIII is coming soon as well. The Galaxy Nexus is a nice phone if you need something right now, though the Verizon version is not maintained by Google so updates hit it a little later (blame something with the CDMA chip).

When my in-laws needed phones I highly recommended the iPhone to them because they didn't live in the Google ecosystem (no gmail account, etc). They ended up with a 4 and a 4S. My parents use Android phones (HTC Hero) and they're really happy with theirs, but they were already invested into the Google ecosystem. This is probably the main thing I would consider when choosing Android vs. iPhone.

Side note, WP7 is brilliant. The people I've met that have them absolutely LOVE them. It's just not gaining any traction, though. I'd skip it unless you really want XBL integration.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 10:06:30 PM »

The XBL integration is pretty much just for more Achievement points, at this stage.

Interestingly, I just saw this post on Kotaku about Windows 8 and PC Gaming.  It talks about a Stardock assessment of what's down the road.  It's not rosy.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 11:13:04 PM »

Wait for the iPhone 5.  It's already the end of March and the new ones will be out at the beginning of October.  You don't want your new iToy to be obsolete in a couple of months.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 02:47:04 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 21, 2012, 10:06:30 PM

The XBL integration is pretty much just for more Achievement points, at this stage.

Interestingly, I just saw this post on Kotaku about Windows 8 and PC Gaming.  It talks about a Stardock assessment of what's down the road.  It's not rosy.

It's stardock. They sold the one thing that could keep them afloat. As a developer, they spend more advertising on their Windows desktop enhancements ... big surprise that they aren't thrilled with Windows / Metro as a product.

The XBL works fine for msging, friends, as well as beacons etc. There are a few games that can be played cross-platform. I'd expect Halo 4 to have something later this year - we're what, 3 months before E3? I'd bet CeeKay's left nipple that Windows gaming / WP / Xbox integration is going to be put out there this time around.

MS Office online integration is huge, as is the contacts / social media interaction. That's the one thing that Cal missed out on commenting on.

eg:

I can go through "Me" and see a threaded list of all notifications or updates from friends that show everything from twitter to facebook and linkedin posts from everyone. If I go into a person, it filters it down to just them. If I create a group, it shows those people, which makes those groups more meaningful. It also means I can message just those people in the group (SMS, for example).

Lastly: the typing, the copy/paste, the moving around? iOS *WHO*? Tongue

Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 03:55:55 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 21, 2012, 10:06:30 PM

XBL integration is pretty tight. You can message, etc. Same as Steam on mobile. Like I said, people who have used WP7 on a regular basis love it. It's a solid UI that works very well. It's arguably better than iOS and Android as far as day-to-day usability.

Keep in mind, what Kotaku is referencing is written like a 10-K (SEC Annual Filing) for a public company. They're discussing their perceived risks to continuing operations. At any rate, what Stardock is actually saying is that if Apple somehow becomes a force in mainstream gaming, they'll have serious problems as they are a Windows-only shop. I don't think anyone is realistically arguing this is going to be the case. An iPad with AirPlay and a BT4.0 controller is not going to be a mainstream gaming console or replace a gaming PC for a variety of reasons. This is the 'death of the PC' all over again and it's going to end the exactly the same. There is a market for dedicated gaming devices just like there is a market for general purpose PCs.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 11:57:10 AM »

As a WP7 developer, it (almost physically) pains me to say... avoid. I had faith a year ago that by sheer financial and marketing force MS would make WP7 a viable contender, but I just can't see it happening now.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 12:25:53 PM »

Quote from: zinckiwi on March 22, 2012, 11:57:10 AM

As a WP7 developer, it (almost physically) pains me to say... avoid. I had faith a year ago that by sheer financial and marketing force MS would make WP7 a viable contender, but I just can't see it happening now.

Really? What's changed in the last year?

WP has a 2% market share in North America, where there are what, three-to-five models of phones available?

The barrier MS faces is carrier adoption - for instance, WP7 does not (seem to) allow carriers to cripple the applications - Rogers loves selling their ringtones. I put mine on my phone, for free, without having to do anything more than using a free app from the store, or create a ringtone on my PC with no pirating / jailbreaking required.

I'm not saying that the WP doesn't have challenges, but this would be like saying, three months ago, that Apple is dead in the water with all the competing tablets coming out.

And even if, you as a developer, give up on WP7 - does that make my phone, which I own now, less functional or less useful?

I didn't get my phone as an investment into the future - I bought it because it has what I want on it. Metro. I'm not recommending a blackberry here.

If MS should be doing one thing, it's getting the marketplace stuffed with AAA applications, and making the conversion / development process as streamlined as possible.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 12:58:41 PM »

I was at the T-Mobile store yesterday looking at getting a new phone, and the HTC Radar was a strong contender.. never tried windows phone before but have been wanting to.
What ultimately stopped me was Microsoft's stance on "violent" video games on the phone, something even control obsessed Apple doesn't do.

As for violence, WP7 apps must not have realistic or gratuitous violence including decapitations, impaling, gore, blood splatters, blood spurting, and blood pooling. Guns and weapons cannot be pointed toward the user and/or audience (there goes FPS games). Additionally, apps cannot contain strangulation/choking, people or creatures on fire, cruelty to animals, audio of humans or animals suffering--the list goes on.

http://news.techeye.net/mobile/android-stays-sex-os-as-microsoft-says-no-naughty-apps-please

Has Microsoft ever changed their stance on 'violent' video games? Or are they still making the decision for us what kind of games we can (and can't) play?

If that changes, I just may revisit windows phone again soon.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 01:14:14 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 22, 2012, 12:25:53 PM

Quote from: zinckiwi on March 22, 2012, 11:57:10 AM

Really? What's changed in the last year?

They were at 7% market share last year.  Where are they now?

WP has a 2% market share in North America, where there are what, three-to-five models of phones available?

Oh.

They haven't built on their sales at all.  There's not only no momentum, they're rolling to a stop.

The barrier MS faces is carrier adoption - for instance, WP7 does not (seem to) allow carriers to cripple the applications - Rogers loves selling their ringtones. I put mine on my phone, for free, without having to do anything more than using a free app from the store, or create a ringtone on my PC with no pirating / jailbreaking required.

They also face the challenge of public indifference and another phone's utter dominance of the marketplace.  This can't be understated, either.  We're not talking, say, Sony's dominance of the market with the Walkman way back when, which was a field they basically created and dominated.  These are cell phones which have been out for a long time, and somehow Apple managed to make theirs The One.  And then there's Android which has most of the rest of the market.  

I'm not saying that the WP doesn't have challenges, but this would be like saying, three months ago, that Apple is dead in the water with all the competing tablets coming out.

It is not at all like saying that.  It would be like saying Motorola is dead in the water because of all the competing tablets.  Except it's running Android.  

And even if, you as a developer, give up on WP7 - does that make my phone, which I own now, less functional or less useful?

Yes.  Yes, it does.  It's given far fewer opportunities to be useful, as fewer and fewer developers are doing anything unique or useful with it.  If you don't use apps, that's great for you.  However, the rest of the world does.  More importantly, apps are what keep a phone relevant and afloat today.  Even if you don't use the apps, the lack of them are killing the phone.

I didn't get my phone as an investment into the future - I bought it because it has what I want on it. Metro. I'm not recommending a blackberry here.

Metro is fantastic for the phone (I'm way less convinced about it's usefulness in a desktop OS).  To reference the stuff you mentioned in your previous post, I love the way it integrates with my contacts and facebook and Office.  Love it.  And I totally agree that copy/paste is way more functional here.  Hell, the fact that the keyboard physically changes to capital letters so you know you're using the shift key is so obvious, it hurts when I use the iPad's keyboard.  And don't even get me started on Apple's autocorrect.  MS has that nailed, too.

But that isn't selling the phone, clearly.

If MS should be doing one thing, it's getting the marketplace stuffed with AAA applications, and making the conversion / development process as streamlined as possible.

Apparently, the conversion/development process is streamlined.  They've made it incredibly simple to switch your app over to their system.  I spent a lot of time emailing back and forth with companies I wanted to see put stuff on my phone (I desparately wanted WP7 to succeed).  They just didn't care.  And why would they, really?  Even if it's simple, you still have to go through the process and then get a phone and test it and fix it.  All for very little return.  At least very little compared to what they were already seeing on iOS.  Hell, apparently Android is a pain in the ass to convert/develop for, but people are doing it because there's money there.  Which is keeping Google in the phone business.  And the lack of that is keeping MS out of it.

Also, don't forget that Microsoft already lost this battle in the public consciousness with their first attempt: Windows Mobile.  I can't tell you how many general public people still call my phone that.  Hell, I've heard people at the AT&T store call it that.  They tried to overcome that in the beginning, but it's still out there.

What you mentioned in your other post about Microsoft getting the word out at E3 this year - that should have been happening for the last two years or even three years.   I'm sure it'll get mentioned again, but I wouldn't be putting any of CeeKay's nipples on the line about how much they'll be talking about it.

If Android didn't exist, MS might have a shot at being the cool phone for people who don't want to be slaves to Apple.  If MS had pushed WP7 out before Android, that could have happened, too.

I loved my WP7.  My enthusiasm for it has faded as Microsoft's has.  I imagine I'll be getting the new iPhone in the fall.  I've got enough apps from my iPad that it has practically backdoored me in.  There are many things I'll be sad to lose.  Live tiles are another example (though I imagine Apple is working on that).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:26:42 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 02:07:38 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 22, 2012, 01:14:14 PM

Metro is fantastic for the phone (I'm way less convinced about it's usefulness in a desktop OS).  To reference the stuff you mentioned in your previous post, I love the way it integrates with my contacts and facebook and Office.  Love it.  And I totally agree that copy/paste is way more functional here.  Hell, the fact that the keyboard physically changes to capital letters so you know you're using the shift key is so obvious, it hurts when I use the iPad's keyboard.  And don't even get me started on Apple's autocorrect.  MS has that nailed, too.

Microsoft needs to hire some better marketing people (from Apple). The WP7 marketing campaign was based around the idea of not using your smartphone.

That said, MS completely botched the WP7 launch. If I remember correctly, the copy/paste function that you're touting wasn't ready at launch and came ~ 4 months later with the NoDo update. Then MS had problems with carriers/handset makers pushing the updates to the phones quickly/at all.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 02:55:30 PM »

Quote from: Calavera on March 22, 2012, 02:07:38 PM

Microsoft needs to hire some better marketing people (from Apple). The WP7 marketing campaign was based around the idea of not using your smartphone.

That said, MS completely botched the WP7 launch. If I remember correctly, the copy/paste function that you're touting wasn't ready at launch and came ~ 4 months later with the NoDo update. Then MS had problems with carriers/handset makers pushing the updates to the phones quickly/at all.

Very true.  The NoDo wait was painful.

zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2012, 12:20:45 PM »

Yes.  Yes, it does.  It's given far fewer opportunities to be useful, as fewer and fewer developers are doing anything unique or useful with it.  If you don't use apps, that's great for you.  However, the rest of the world does.  More importantly, apps are what keep a phone relevant and afloat today.  Even if you don't use the apps, the lack of them are killing the phone.

Yeah, exactly. If there were no app stores anywhere and we were comparing the first year of the iPhone without a Marketplace-less WP7, I'd give the nod to WP7. But phones have rapidly moves into something akin to the computer wars for 99% of people -- it's not "which OS do I want?" but "what apps to do want to run?".

With tiny (and more importantly, stagnant) market share, they're not going to get good indie developers. And with non-existent mindshare, they're not going to raise that market share.

If it were a world without app stores, and we were comparing iPhone to WP7 out of the box, I'd back Metro all the way.

There are so many no-brainers -- right with you there on the keyboard. But there are equally huge failures in my opinion. Some massive, massive gripes:

• The universal back button. Great on paper. A solution in search of a problem in practice, and one that completely breaks the browser navigation model.
  • Poor state management on behalf of many third party apps. Accidentally brush the ridiculously oversensitive capacitive search button with your thumb while watching a Netflix video? Spend a minute getting back to where you were.
  • "Windows Phone", possibly the single worst name they could have gone with, and one that sounds desperately uncool.

I loved my WP7.  My enthusiasm for it has faded as Microsoft's has.  I imagine I'll be getting the new iPhone in the fall.  I've got enough apps from my iPad that it has practically backdoored me in.  There are many things I'll be sad to lose.  Live tiles are another example (though I imagine Apple is working on that).
Oh yeah, Apple is working on that alright. That native weather app's icon is going to be "real" by iOS 6 or someone's getting canned.

The ads boggle my mind as well. Useless masses of phones flying past with the same start screen, telling you NOTHING. What are the two great aces that MS has in WP7?

Office integration: ad shows all the first-party MS Office tools. Text at tail end of ad says, "You have an app for that? We have a PHONE for that."

Metro interface and snappiness for mundane tasks: ad shows a real sequence, say Home -> People -> Person -> Facebook wall -> pictures -> share on own wall, all inside the native interface. Text at tail end of ad says, "Unlike the other guys, 'Sequences NOT shortened'".

Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2012, 01:17:49 PM »

Quote from: zinckiwi on March 23, 2012, 12:20:45 PM

• Poor state management on behalf of many third party apps. Accidentally brush the ridiculously oversensitive capacitive search button with your thumb while watching a Netflix video? Spend a minute getting back to where you were.

I'd argue this is a failing of the way some 3rd party apps are tombstoning than a specific failing of WP7. From a developer perspective, the way WP7 is pausing apps is aggressive and works really well if you write your app to take it into account. It sounds like the Netflix app isn't written to handle the way WP7 tombstones.

Android shares this problem, it's just less pronounced because Android is less aggressive about tombstoning. Specifically, HTC's Sense UI is notoriously bad and inconsistent at this. They tombstone the UI whenever you run an intensive app for some length. This is a good idea because Sense is pretty resource intensive. However, when you leave the app my phone is useless for 10 seconds while Sense reloads.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2012, 01:59:59 PM »

Quote from: Calavera on March 23, 2012, 01:17:49 PM

Quote from: zinckiwi on March 23, 2012, 12:20:45 PM

I'd argue this is a failing of the way some 3rd party apps are tombstoning than a specific failing of WP7. From a developer perspective, the way WP7 is pausing apps is aggressive and works really well if you write your app to take it into account. It sounds like the Netflix app isn't written to handle the way WP7 tombstones.

Android shares this problem, it's just less pronounced because Android is less aggressive about tombstoning. Specifically, HTC's Sense UI is notoriously bad and inconsistent at this. They tombstone the UI whenever you run an intensive app for some length. This is a good idea because Sense is pretty resource intensive. However, when you leave the app my phone is useless for 10 seconds while Sense reloads.

Well, yes, but it's just semantics really. If there's a form that users keep filling out incorrectly, is that user error or user interface error? I say the latter.

I'd say I spent fully 50% of my time developing Wayne Gould Sudoku on the tombstoning and restoring, discovering little quirks and things you could do but shouldn't, or assumed you should but couldn't. The damn back button has very specific rules about its handling that you violate at your peril (i.e.: your app will be rejected), but don't fit at all into a non-linear navigation system within an app.

So. An over-engineered and under-documented system that I found challenging to use -- my flaw, or Microsoft's?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: