http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 03:39:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Me Decide on a TV (for January)  (Read 882 times)
Zarkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 28, 2011, 08:56:24 PM »

In January, I get a nice-sized check.  I need a new HDTV.

What I have now:  Toshiba 32" LCD 720p.

What I HAVE to have:  42" or higher, preferably 47" or higher.
What I HAVE to have:  At least 4 HDTV inputs, as well as component/composite. 

What I would LIKE to have:  Smart TV (Netflix, et al) built-in. 
What I would LIKE to have:  3D
What I would LIKE to have:  240hz or whatever.

The Most I would LIKE to spend:  $1000.

So let's talk.

Primary uses: 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 09:02:08 PM »

What do people think about the whole 240 mhz thing? My new tv has 120 mhz and some sort of simulated 240 mhz. However, when you run the tv with the motion features on it just looks weird. Like the picture loses all filmic look and movement looks to real or something. I turned it all off and I like it much better looking like what I expect movies and tv to look like.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 09:26:41 PM »

Don't know your network situation but don't forget built-in wireless if you don't already have ethernet to your existing TV.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 04:01:45 AM »

3D isn't taking off at all so I would not use that as a deciding factor in anything. 240 Hz TVs are also pretty much a sham. A good LED TV or a good Plasma with 120 Hz would be perfect for just about everything I think.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 04:14:48 AM »

ONly reason I'd get 3d is if the diff. between 3d and non-3D is under $100.  Which it has been in some cases.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 01:52:03 PM »

If your lighting permits it go plasma.  Best bang for your buck especially at your price range.

examples:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889005227
$888.

morlac00 on PSN
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 02:58:25 PM »

Costco is a good place to go shopping!

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 08:05:01 PM »

You don't need 4 HDMI inputs, what you need is an HDMI-switching receiver with (at least)  4 hdmi inputs

Epic 4g/Tapatalk

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 05:34:54 AM »

Quote from: morlac on October 29, 2011, 01:52:03 PM

If your lighting permits it go plasma.  Best bang for your buck especially at your price range.

examples:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889005227
$888.

If you really want bang for your buck and you have the room to work with you absolutely cannot beat projection.  I have an Epson 1080P projector set up with a home made 105" diagonal screen that has amazing picture quality.  The price including building the screen?  About $1200.    You do need at least a 14' long room with good light control to make this work but Ill put the picture quality up against anything out there right now.  While I am biased, since I own the system, I can honestly say all of my friends who have seen this set up and own large LCD or LED tv's have left with serious envy. 

If this type of set up isnt in the cards then I will recommend a few things.
  Best bang for your buck in the TV sector is DLP.  This is almost exclusively made by Mitsubishi now but the picture is every bit as good as any flat panel and shopping around you can get a 60" screen for under a grand. They have 3-D capability, just like the flat panels. The down side is these are larger and heavier than flat panel tvs.
  Next is Plasma,  once again quality picture at a less than flat panel price.  They are smaller than DLP but a bit larger than a flat panel.  Great values can be found in plasma and if you want whats considered the best brand for plasma, it is generally Panasonic.   
 Finally you have the true flat panels LCD and LED.  They have excellent pictures and are lighter and thinner than plasma or DLP.  They are a bit pricey compared to the others but the gap is smaller these days.   There are a lot of good brands out there, but you cant go wrong with Samsung.  Sony is also highly regarded in the flat panel sector.

If you are going to wait til January to purchase a tv then my advice is to know where you want to put it in the home and plan accordingly.  Do plenty of research on whats best for the space you are using and the price you are looking for and then wait.....
Yes, wait until the week before the superbowl.  This is when you will find the best deals on TVs.  Everyone has them on sale.  They want to dump the excess inventory from the holiday season and the Superbowl give them a good event for it.  You will find the best prices of the year during this week.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 01:31:50 PM »

Granting above, I've been very happy with my Samsung 3D tv... and with black friday, cyber monday, after christmas, etc sales I'm sure good things will come into your price range.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 02:28:01 PM »

Just to clarify.  The plasma  linked to above is only 2" thick so Plasmas these days are just as thin as most LCDs.

morlac00 on PSN
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 03:47:25 PM »

And I believe a lot of the heating issues have been sorted out. So they aren't giant furnaces on your wall anymore.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 05:00:02 PM »

It's going in my bedroom, which is the master bedroom in the house.  It's about ... 10 to 12 feet wide, and 12-14 feet long.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 11:37:34 PM »

screw the internet tv part of it and get apple tv- MUCH better implementation for Netflix and the like. This will give you an advantage because everybody is pushing the net tv crap and 3D this year. You might be able to get last year's model without it for much cheaper (I just did this a few months ago, btw).

All of the net tv implementations I saw were clunky and half-assed. Get something that has better support and consistent software updates. Apple TV is $100 and I'm so happy with it I'm going to forgo re-upping DirecTV when my contract runs out.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 11:38:04 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on October 29, 2011, 08:05:01 PM

You don't need 4 HDMI inputs, what you need is an HDMI-switching receiver with (at least)  4 hdmi inputs

Epic 4g/Tapatalk

Those suck. At least the one I tried did.

Mike Dunn
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 11:58:06 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 30, 2011, 11:38:04 PM

Epic 4g/Tapatalk

Not if you get a good receiver.  I have an Onkyo that uses a Marvel Qdeo video processing chip,  it actually improves the picture over just using my Panasonic bluray player. 

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 05:04:19 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 30, 2011, 11:37:34 PM

screw the internet tv part of it and get apple tv- MUCH better implementation for Netflix and the like. This will give you an advantage because everybody is pushing the net tv crap and 3D this year. You might be able to get last year's model without it for much cheaper (I just did this a few months ago, btw).

All of the net tv implementations I saw were clunky and half-assed. Get something that has better support and consistent software updates. Apple TV is $100 and I'm so happy with it I'm going to forgo re-upping DirecTV when my contract runs out.

If Apple TV would let me play ANY video from my cmoputer, I'd already have it.  ($75 for me with discount, btw).   But I'll keep that in mind.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 05:04:52 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on October 30, 2011, 11:58:06 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 30, 2011, 11:38:04 PM

Epic 4g/Tapatalk

Not if you get a good receiver.  I have an Onkyo that uses a Marvel Qdeo video processing chip,  it actually improves the picture over just using my Panasonic bluray player. 

I'm not looking to spend $3-500 for a receiver, just looking for a TV.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 02:24:34 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on October 31, 2011, 05:04:19 AM

If Apple TV would let me play ANY video from my cmoputer, I'd already have it.  ($75 for me with discount, btw).   But I'll keep that in mind.

Is that 'any' as in 'any format' or 'any' as in 'any at all'?  I AirPlay video from my computer all the time...

Mike Dunn
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 04:37:49 AM »

I haven't been following everything here, but if you're going to pay for one of these expensive TVs, you should use it for more than just the one month.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 05:29:01 AM »

You should have no problem finding a nice 3D plasma that meets your other requirements. But, to be honest, its rather pointless talking about specifics right now because by January you are going to be seeing "end of the model year" and "we bought too many and didn't sell them at Xmas" sales on TVs.  You seem to have a good grasp of the specifics you will be looking for then, so it will simply be tracking down the best deal.  Something we can't help you with right now, obviously.   icon_lol

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 05:37:29 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 02, 2011, 02:24:34 AM

Is that 'any' as in 'any format' or 'any' as in 'any at all'?  I AirPlay video from my computer all the time...

Any as in 'I have files on my computer.  I want them to play'.  Apple TV is 'We play these file types....'
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 05:02:29 AM »

Looking at one of the two following TVs:

LG Infinia 55LW5600 and the LG Infinia 50PZ750.  The 55 Inch is LCD/LED and is about $1335, the 50 inch is plasma and under $1000.  Opinions?
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 04:31:39 PM »

right now Amazon has the highly reviewed Panasonic ST30 plasma for $805.00 for cyber monday.  Its a very nice 600htz plasma with viera cast internet.    The model is Panasonic VIERA TC-P50ST30 50-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV.   awesome TV for the price.  its also the new style thin plasma and has a 100,000 hour screen life. 

Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 06:08:39 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on November 28, 2011, 05:02:29 AM

LG Infinia 55LW5600 and the LG Infinia 50PZ750.  The 55 Inch is LCD/LED and is about $1335, the 50 inch is plasma and under $1000.  Opinions?

Look at the 60" LG 60PV450.  Fewer useless (IMO) bells and whistles, (no 3d, no internet apps) excellent picture quality.  Bigger screen and still under $1000, or should be - I got mine (in Canada) for $1075 last month.  Love it.  Compares very favourably in PQ to the Panasonic ST30 mentioned earlier, for similar price and bigger.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 06:42:46 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on November 02, 2011, 05:37:29 AM

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 02, 2011, 02:24:34 AM

Any as in 'I have files on my computer.  I want them to play'.  Apple TV is 'We play these file types....'

If you have an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch and the AirVideo app, this is entirely possible.  I do it all the time.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 08:53:47 PM »

Here's the thing.  I want the internet apps, because DLNA is generally bundled with 'em.
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 12:34:51 AM »

I just bought the LG 55" 5500 for 1100 and couldn't be more happy. I don't use the internet features at all, but the picture is fantastic and the sound is quite good

sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 04:06:08 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on November 28, 2011, 05:02:29 AM

We love our 55LW5600 and $1335 seems like a good price. Make sure that price is for the 5600 and not the 5300. The 2d to 3d conversion is decent, but not near as good as the films done in 3d. The built in applications are fine, using it for Netflix now and have used YouTube. Aside; it handles yt3d quite well.

Since I bought an open box, I had some trouble immediately. Nothing but praise for LG's customer service. I worked through email and had replies by 12:30 pm the next business day.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 04:31:28 AM »

I came here to tell you that the Panasonic ST30 plasma has all the best internet apps and also has DNLA.  But you can forget about the Panny , I checked and Amazon is out and they are only available on Amazon is thru Pauls TV now.  Those are going for $950.   I jumped on this Sunday night and Ill have it in home on Thursday with no tax and free "white glove" delivery.  They bring it in, unbox it, set it where you want it and take all the excess packaging with them.  The only thing they dont do is hook it up.  I actually had a $10 amazon coupon they gave me for a price mistake item last summer so all said and done I got the Panny for just under $800. 

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 11:32:45 PM »

Just purchased the LG 55LW5600 for $1280ish with 6 pairs of 3D glasses.  Only drawback is that it's not eligible for Amazon Prime, so I have to wait about a week or so for it to show up.  I'll get an extended warranty through LG as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: