http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 04:33:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help identify a hip hop track  (Read 1255 times)
gameoverman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2005, 10:49:44 PM »

So I heard this late last night on Kday(hiphop) here in the Los Angeles area.

I was falling asleep but I told myself to remember some lyrics, since I know a google search would identify the song for me. Well, of course all day I've been trying to remember any lyrics and can't, it's like it was all a dream.  frown

Anyways, a quick description of the situation:
It was during a time when they played alot of 'old school', but I know some stuff being played wasn't old school, so this may or may NOT be old school.

For some reason I keep thinking "This is how it is" or "Is this how.."- somehow 'this' and/or 'is' keeps coming to mind as being repeated alot, but nothing shows up on google for  me. And I've tried alot of combinations of those words. The lyric itself was very repetitive, mostly the chorus over and over again, not much 'meat' to it.

The rap/song had a lead female voice, no male leads or even background that I remember. She had a higher pitched voice, but normal, not like Macy Gray or something. She was rapping it, but in a way that was borderline singing it. Not hardcore rap.

The drums almost sounded live, like something The Roots would do. The drums actually were the coolest part musically to me. The lead guitar was basically one riff played over and over, could've been a sample.

The 'feel' of it was more funky rock than hip hop, The Roots "The Seed 2.0" is a good comparison. However I think, in fact I'm sure, it wasn't The Roots.

Anyways, if anyone knows hiphop of that style, and could point me to some names to check out, I'd appreciate it.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 12:12:13 AM »

I don't know the song in particular, but try this site:  http://www.ohhla.com/

Some hints might be:

Lauryn Hill
Bahamadia
Eve
Jean Grae aka ?What ?What
MC Lyte
Queen Latifa
Mony Love
Foxy Brown
Da' Brat

Good luck, I can't think of it.

"Goonies never say die"
Rahowa
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 01:32:06 AM »

***Comment snipped***

Sorry Rahowa, please refrain from making racist remarks

Thanks
Naednek
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 01:50:02 AM »

He's Back...   Mr. Honky.  Wonder if he still dates his sister?

"Goonies never say die"
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 02:05:35 AM »

holy shit.  That'll be a quick banning.

My guess is that the song is Digable Planets.  If you want some stuff that's Roots-like, then try to find stuff that's produced by the Soulquarians.  

Slum Village is a good bet.  All of Jay Dee's best beats are minimalist.  I'd say all of Common's stuff is good also, but don't get Electric Circus.  It's got a few songs that are probably up your alley, but it also has a ton of quasi-electrical stuff that most people hate (I love it though).  

D'Angelo's Voodoo is very much in that style.  

And just for the hell of it, check out Black Star also.  Give Mos Def's two solo albums a listen... esspecially The New Danger.

You might want to give Prince Paul's stuff and Handsome Boy Modeling School a look also.

Just Hiro will do.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 02:12:14 AM »

Might also be the Fugees.

gellar
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 02:45:56 AM »

Damn I wish Black Star would release a new album... because that new Mos Def is weak... IMHO

Why do talented lyricists always have to go Neo-Soul (Roots).

"Goonies never say die"
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 02:50:40 AM »

I actually like Mos's new one.  It's no Black on Both Sides or Black Star, but it's pretty solid.  I'm not sure there will ever be another Black Star album.  Might as well, the expectations will be so great for it that it's destined to fail.

Anyone grab the new Wordsworth album?  Punch and Words were my all time fav's back in the day.

Oh, gameoverman, you might want to check out Gang Starr also.

Just Hiro will do.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 04:28:17 AM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
I actually like Mos's new one.  It's no Black on Both Sides or Black Star, but it's pretty solid.  I'm not sure there will ever be another Black Star album.  Might as well, the expectations will be so great for it that it's destined to fail.

Anyone grab the new Wordsworth album?  Punch and Words were my all time fav's back in the day.

Oh, gameoverman, you might want to check out Gang Starr also.

And Mos seems really intent on pursuing his acting career so the likelihood of another album is a distant possibility.  

And I haven't heard the Wordsworth album but here's a good review of it on The Onion's AV Club (which, surprisingly enough, has some excellent reviews):

http://www.theonionavclub.com/review.php?review_id=8101

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 04:45:30 AM »

Yeah, punch and words were nice.  I miss the early days of Rawkus, before they sold out.

High and Mighty were awesome too.

"Goonies never say die"
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 06:03:39 AM »

Thanks to everyone for these tips. I'm sure it's in one of these artists mentioned.

It sounded first class, in terms of production, not too indie. Since I'm not too much into hip hop, I didn't recognize it but I'm sure it's nothing too obscure. They played it on radio after all.

I HAVE to know what it is, it's one of those deals, I'll go insane if I don't track it down.
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 11:59:28 PM »

Let us know if you find out the name of the song. I'd like to check it out too, out of curiosity - maybe I've heard it.

My smile still stays on.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2005, 08:25:47 AM »

HAHA! I found it!

They are playing it right now again...

Amerie - "One Thing"

The lyric was 'is this one thing...'.  I was sorta in the right ballpark I guess.

edit: turns out that it's on the "Hitch" soundtrack, which I would never have heard since I tend to avoid Will Smith movies these days.

Also, the video is on Launch, I like it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: