http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 08:41:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! Seasoning a Iron Skillet  (Read 208 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2013, 01:25:59 AM »

There is a ton of advice on the inter-web on accomplishing this, but I'm looking for some help from any GTers that have successfully season a new iron skillet.  This will be my first attempt

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 02:15:36 AM »

I got mine pre-seasoned (Lodge) but I did redo it once. I don't remember much on times, but I used Crisco. I just followed Lodge's directions on their website. It took a long time before the pans really became nonstick (still isn't perfect), but anytime I needed to brown meat, bacon, etc, I used the pans. And of course never used soap.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 02:27:42 AM »

I have a lodge pre-season ..  I'll follow their instruction

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 02:45:51 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 21, 2013, 02:27:42 AM

I have a lodge pre-season ..  I'll follow their instruction

I researched like crazy years ago when I got them, everyone has a different way of seasoning them. If yours are pre seasoned though not sure you need to redo it. Just cook greasy things in them every chance you get and just wipe it clean. Use kosher salt and a bit of water to scrub off anything stuck on.

Good luck with them. Love mine, it was a pretty exciting day when I could finally fry an egg without it sticking. :-)
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 03:54:47 AM »

The degree to which some people obsess over their skillets amuses me. I think it's because they're such an old technology...my mom used her "spiders" exclusively before Teflon was invented.

When I moved away to college I needed cookware, so I asked my mom for her big skillet. To me, that heavy old iron pan was a relic in our brave new era of nonstick frying pans. When she meekly protested that it was a hand-me-down from her mother, its age made it that much less valuable in my mind. So I took it off her hands and promptly ruined it.

That was 35 years ago and I still feel bad about it.

I got my own Lodge spiders a couple of christmases ago. I don't make a ritual out of mine, but I'm very careful with them.

Based on my college-era errors, I can give you two pieces of advice: Don't scour it with steel wool, and don't soak it in the sink.  icon_cry

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 04:21:51 AM »

Before or after you've smashed in a few zombie skulls?

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 04:52:43 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on November 21, 2013, 03:54:47 AM

I don't make a ritual out of mine, but I'm very careful with them.

I always saw it as that the people who haven't used a cast iron think it's a ritual after they hear others discuss it (I believe we had an OO discussion about it years ago and people commented that it sounded like it was too much work, for example). People who have had one for a few years know it's actually pretty easy, you just have to get used to the no soap thing because it goes against everything we are taught about cleanliness. There really is nothing to it: Don't let water sit in it after cooking and don't use soap. Other than that. heat and grease are your best friends.

The only thing I use nonstick for is eggs/omelets, and quick reheats. Everything else goes in the Lodge or Le Creuset, and the latter is much more of a pain in the ass, but still a nice pan.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 09:05:07 AM »

Flaxseed oil

http://www.instructables.com/id/Best-Way-to-Season-Cast-Iron-Pans-Flax-Seed-Oil/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: