http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 07:34:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: headphone advice please  (Read 308 times)
Roman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2013, 05:00:18 AM »

I've moved into an apartment from a home and thus cannot listen to music at the levels that I've been used to.......

I'm looking for suggestions on a decent pair of headphones for use with my pc and receiver.

I'm no audiophile however I do enjoy music. I'm not looking for a pair of $1k earcups.

thoughts?

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 05:58:25 AM »

Do you have roommates who will be near you while you game, or is it ok if your headphones are not completely soundproof?  If the latter, I think open earphones sound better and are more comfortable to wear for extended periods.

What price range are you looking for? 

You can find something ok for under $30, something nice for under $100, something really nice for under $200, and the sky is the limit beyond that.

If open and ~$100 works for you, I'd recommend this pair or this pair.
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 06:32:03 AM »

thanks pug - no pc gaming really. maybe torchlight only.
gaming is done on console.

when I work from home I like to listen to my iTunes library. no roomies just me so sound bleed is ok.
I cab spend up to 300 or so.

Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 08:41:46 AM »

I have the sennheiser RS-170, they are wireless so I can walk around the apartment.
They use a wifi-signal so no background noise which some radio based wireless headphones have.

You can probably get better sound-quality for the money, but I the fact that they are wireless is worth it. And they're very comfortable smile
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 01:18:55 PM »

Love my Audio Technicas for $60: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M30-Professional-Closed-back-Headphones/dp/B00007E7C8
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 01:23:24 PM »

They're expensive, but my Bose QuietComfort Noise Cancelling headphones might be the best investment I've ever made.  The sound is fantastic, and they're a godsend when traveling.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 03:52:57 PM »

Do you prefer cups or buds?  I'm a bud guy myself and have found nothing I love more than my Ultimate Ears, though that was before they were acquired by Logitech.  I've been rocking these guys for years and could not be happier: http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ears-TripleFi-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B0019RBJOE/ref=sr_1_5?s=aht&srs=2530678011&ie=UTF8&qid=1377013848&sr=1-5&keywords=ultimate+ears

I also use the Comply tx500 foams and they are super comfortable.  I can sleep with them on.

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 06:30:28 PM »

I'm one of those idiots that spends a ridiculous amount of money on headphones. I have everything from a set of in ear Vsonic GR07's ($180) to Sennheiser HD-700's which run about a grand. As far as pure listening - and if you want to spend the money, I don't think you can beat the Sennheiser HD-600's. Yeah they retail for about $400 but you can pick them up for around 300 if you shop around. These are open ear headphones so music will bleed out but it's really like having a set of high end speakers attached to your head.

If you don't want to spend that much then these are the undisputed king of low cost but incredible. Audio-Technica ATH-M50S. I'd call these my fun, all around go to headphones.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 09:07:03 PM »

thanks so much for all the help and suggestions guys.
After much hemming and hawing I decided on............

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/8899070fa454699b/index.html

The Audio-Technica M50s in White.
So far I am very happy with them - sound is great and they are comfortable.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 12:58:08 PM »

I was going to recommend Sennheisers, Ive been using them for decades and they have fantastic sound quality but it looks like youve already jumped on some Audio-Technicas.  AT has pretty good quality as well and of course the most important and telling point is if youre happy with the sound.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 02:47:01 PM »

Quote from: zinckiwi on August 20, 2013, 01:18:55 PM

These are my work ear phones and was a wonderful buy.  Currently, listening to them now and they effectively block out the world when I am engrossed into a project

Had to check my Amazon account, but I brought these at 37 bucks.. Awesome sale and I love Amazon
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:50:56 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 03:54:19 PM »

Sennheiser was next on my list believe me - however I picked up the ATs for under a hundred so it was a no brainer.

Also agreed on the noise reduction - they seem to be 'passive' rather than active - either way they do a great job.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: