http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 01:30:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He Shoots and Scores!  (Read 2629 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2006, 11:31:19 AM »

Oh my goodness, what a thing of beauty.  If you are a hockey fan, make sure you go to your favorite hockey site and catch the highlights from the Pens/Devils game.  Malkins goal was just incredible!

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=181811&hubname=nhl

On the right hand side is a link to the highlights a bit down the page.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 11:47:38 AM »

Hockey?

What a dumb sport.  (this year)

:icon_sad:

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 12:55:20 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 25, 2006, 11:47:38 AM

Hockey?

What a dumb sport.  (this year)

:icon_sad:

What is wrong with it this year?  Oh you mean because the Broad Street Bullies are more like Broad Street Pussies???

nod
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 01:13:36 PM »

Big deal.  Roll Eyes

icon_biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 01:14:23 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 25, 2006, 01:13:36 PM

Big deal.  Roll Eyes

icon_biggrin

Yeah such a shame he made Marty look like a minor league goaltender....

icon_lol
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 03:14:54 PM »

Or maybe Lukowich and Fahey like minor league defensemen...wait...they are minor league defensemen!

crybaby

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 03:16:00 PM »

Thanks for that link!
What a bunch of great goals.

PSN ID: EduardoX
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 04:29:56 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 25, 2006, 03:14:54 PM

Or maybe Lukowich and Fahey like minor league defensemen...wait...they are minor league defensemen!

crybaby

I thought Lou was the best GM ever?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 04:44:15 PM »

Not a big hockey fan, but man was that goal pretty.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 06:11:16 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 25, 2006, 03:14:54 PM

crybaby

Tsk Tsk....  That was Colin White, not Fahey.  Think you need to check your glasses there Devil...
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 07:33:35 PM »

Jesus... that was hot.

gellar
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 07:55:04 PM »

Sorry - It was White. He wasn't really the problem (other than he couldn't catch Malkin) - Luko got in everyone's way.

Yep, Lou=Best GM ever. The title was in questions when he dsigned Malacrap, and Almo, but then he got rid of them to re-gain his status.

No talk from Penguins fans, Ark. You get those great players because you stink for so long. It's about time!

And pr0...you..well..you should know better with your team!

icon_biggrin

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 08:38:15 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 25, 2006, 07:55:04 PM

Sorry - It was White. He wasn't really the problem (other than he couldn't catch Malkin) - Luko got in everyone's way.

Yep, Lou=Best GM ever. The title was in questions when he dsigned Malacrap, and Almo, but then he got rid of them to re-gain his status.

No talk from Penguins fans, Ark. You get those great players because you stink for so long. It's about time!

icon_biggrin

The fact that he signed Malakhov and Mogilny in the first place makes Lou lose that title.  He's still got massive cap issues.  What are you going to do about Scott Gomez next year, for example?

By the way, my team won 6-1 last night.  What did your team do again, exactly?  And doesn't Martin Brodeur have a 3.41 GAA or something like that?  Ouch.   icon_twisted

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 10:34:20 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 25, 2006, 07:55:04 PM

icon_biggrin

All I can say is I am a true fan.  Even when they stunk I thought they were the best.  Thankfully my team didn't have to resort to underhanded tactics to get under the cap like the Devils did.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 10:35:46 PM »

Um... Go Kings?

gellar
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 12:09:43 AM »

Quote from: gellar on October 25, 2006, 10:35:46 PM

Um... Go Kings?

gellar

Maybe if they ever got rid of Sean Avery, as I've said before.  icon_twisted

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 02:11:12 AM »

Ark - I was with you, a year late though! I really think you might be seeing something special there as long as Captain Yellow Pads can keep it up.

pr0 - Come on now. You really think Lou won't replace Gomez? Does it matter? They may have to rebuild a little on D though. As for Marty's GAA, 9 games into the season? I'm not worried. Jan/Feb this team starts playing.

I'm just glad there's more hockey talk!  icon_biggrin

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 11:07:42 AM »

Quote from: Devil on October 26, 2006, 02:11:12 AM

Ark - I was with you, a year late though! I really think you might be seeing something special there as long as Captain Yellow Pads can keep it up.

pr0 - Come on now. You really think Lou won't replace Gomez? Does it matter? They may have to rebuild a little on D though. As for Marty's GAA, 9 games into the season? I'm not worried. Jan/Feb this team starts playing.

I'm just glad there's more hockey talk!  icon_biggrin

Well as a season ticket holder for the pens it has been rough the past few seasons.  I will say Fleury has looked much much better.  Now that we are 8 games in to the season, some observations I have made of Fleury.  He is getting square to the shooter much more often and much quicker then in previous seasons.  He has improved on his rebounds, although still needs work in this area.  He is staying in the game mentally.  In previous years he would get shaken mentally after a goal and go completely off his game.   All in all he has been much improved, now if he would just stand up a bit more on high shots instead of going down into the butterfly.  Standing up the puck would hit him, in butterfly it is right over the shoulder.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 11:39:12 AM »

It seems he plays really deep in the net at times too, which would make dropping even worse.

He's the key!

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 11:46:53 AM »

Quote from: Devil on October 26, 2006, 11:39:12 AM

It seems he plays really deep in the net at times too, which would make dropping even worse.

He's the key!

Yeah, although I have noticed him challenging shooters more often this year.  In the game on Tuesday he was challenging the shooters very aggresively.  A few times he was emphatically smacking Devils in the back to try and clear them out.  I do feel that having a 100% dedicated goaltending coach this year has been a big help.  That and the fact that he still is only 21, he is still a child, but is maturing.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 04:27:00 PM »

Anyone notice how the sabres fans havent even bothered to talk shit this year?

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 07:02:57 PM »

Quote from: Semaj on October 26, 2006, 04:27:00 PM

Anyone notice how the sabres fans havent even bothered to talk trash this year?

Well, I'm guessing that since the rules changed subsequent to them being totally jobbed in the cup, they've learned that there's no point as its obvious there's a conspiracy against all Buffalo based teams from winning a title.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 02:21:18 AM »

OR they just haven't been good enough

RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 02:24:16 AM »

Quote from: ATB on October 26, 2006, 07:02:57 PM

Quote from: Semaj on October 26, 2006, 04:27:00 PM

Anyone notice how the sabres fans havent even bothered to talk trash this year?

Well, I'm guessing that since the rules changed subsequent to them being totally jobbed in the cup, they've learned that there's no point as its obvious there's a conspiracy against all Buffalo based teams from winning a title.

So that explains the Bills' misery! That Malkin goal was fantastic. What a great line--Crosby, Malkin and Staal. That's a foundation to build on. Pens look like they're on the right track. Still a few years away but...

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 12:25:46 PM »

I saw it live... lol... Was watching the game somewhere and that line is phenominal... I mean I watched em and went; This crosby kid is phenominal, now which way will he go, Lindros or Mario....

Anyone seen that Afigenov goal? smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 04:55:15 PM »

Goals are for pussies.

Watching Dion Phaneuf take people off their skates on open ice night after night is more satisfying.   icon_twisted

I can't wait to see Phaneful and Robyn Regehr set their sights on Alexander Ovechkin Monday night.  W00t!

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 05:14:44 PM »

Quote from: Semaj on October 27, 2006, 12:25:46 PM

I saw it live... lol... Was watching the game somewhere and that line is phenominal... I mean I watched em and went; This crosby kid is phenominal, now which way will he go, Lindros or Mario....

Anyone seen that Afigenov goal? smile

I saw it live, literally.  I love my pens season tickets..

icon_lol
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 05:15:18 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on October 27, 2006, 04:55:15 PM

Goals are for pussies.

Watching Dion Phaneuf take people off their skates on open ice night after night is more satisfying.   icon_twisted

I can't wait to see Phaneful and Robyn Regehr set their sights on Alexander Ovechkin Monday night.  W00t!

Phaneuf is a beast.  Incredible defenseman.
DocD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2006, 07:38:54 PM »

Um... Go Kings?

gellar

I feel your pain Geller. I'm a fan of the Kings also. Too bad they couldn't beat a 12 year old girls all star team. It's going to be a really long year.

docD
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2006, 10:19:01 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on October 27, 2006, 04:55:15 PM

Goals are for pussies.

Tell Regher to learn how to check someone *without* using his elbows.

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2006, 10:19:13 PM »

Quote from: DocD on November 01, 2006, 07:38:54 PM

Um... Go Kings?

gellar

I feel your pain Geller. I'm a fan of the Kings also. Too bad they couldn't beat a 12 year old girls all star team. It's going to be a really long year.

docD

They did beat the Rangers...

gellar
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2006, 12:08:14 AM »

Well tonight is the Pens versus the kings.  Anyone going to the game by chance?  I will be staying up very late here on the east coast to watch my pens.  Yay for staying up until 1:30 AM, then waking back up at 4:30 AM to get ready for work.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2006, 12:32:43 PM »

I watched some of it - Both teams looked good.

Ark - You must be thrilled.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2006, 03:03:38 PM »

Quote from: Devil on November 02, 2006, 12:32:43 PM

I watched some of it - Both teams looked good.

Ark - You must be thrilled.

Lets just say not many people in pittsburgh would have ever guessed the Penguins would have more wins in October then the Steelers.  I just hope they can carry this play over an entire season.  They are a young team with not a lot of experience when it comes to winning.  Is it just me, or is it possible that in the end Malkin could end up being better then both Crosby and Ovechkin?  I just seriously hope we find a way in a few years to be able to keep Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and Staal for a long time to come.  I really like the promotion of Talbot.  He is bringing alot of energy, doing well on faceoffs and actually poses a scoring threat from the fourth line and short handed.  The signings by Shero this offseason were looked over because they were all low key players, but the additions of Eaton, Moore and Ruutu have been huge for this team.  The steadying presence of Eaton on the blueline, blocking shots and helping the PK is helping the players around him, same with Moore and Ruutu with thier backchecking and PK work.  I just wish I had enough money to buy some jerseys this year.  I need a Crosby, Malkin and Staal jersey.  Only have Fleury's jersey at this point as well as a Vintage Jersey from when Dave "the hammer" Schultz played for the team briefly ( seeing as he is a distant cousin of mine).

As far as LA, they have some great young talent.  Kopitar is an impressive talent.  I just wonder if he isn't getting the exposure he should with being in LA.  Kopitar could very easily be contending with Malkin, Staal, Matt Carle in SJ, Penner, Stastny and Wolski for the Calder this year.  As an NHL fan, not just a Pens fan, this is an incredible year for young talent around the league.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 03:06:21 PM by Arkon » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2006, 05:08:46 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 02, 2006, 03:03:38 PM

As far as LA, they have some great young talent.  Kopitar is an impressive talent.  I just wonder if he isn't getting the exposure he should with being in LA.  Kopitar could very easily be contending with Malkin, Staal, Matt Carle in SJ, Penner, Stastny and Wolski for the Calder this year.  As an NHL fan, not just a Pens fan, this is an incredible year for young talent around the league.

Kopitar leads all rookies in scoring (or did going into last night, anyway) and just about the ONLY story out of LA, so he's getting plenty of attention best as I can tell.  O'Sullivan has been largely a disappointment, but if he gets it going like he should... and players like Tukonen and Jack Johnson develop as we're all expecting, the Kings should be good in a few years.

The next year or so is going to be painful though.

gellar
DocD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2006, 05:26:26 PM »

I start talking smack about the Kings being really bad and then they show up and play a pretty good game last night. Kopitar is going to be a really great player and I think O'Sullivan may also be but he's not ready to play at the NHL level yet. Give him another year and I think he'll be ready. I agree with you Gellar, this year is going to be really painful, hopefully next year we can compete for one of the lower playoff spots.

docD
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2006, 07:40:43 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 02, 2006, 05:08:46 PM

Quote from: Arkon on November 02, 2006, 03:03:38 PM

Kopitar leads all rookies in scoring (or did going into last night, anyway) and just about the ONLY story out of LA, so he's getting plenty of attention best as I can tell.  O'Sullivan has been largely a disappointment, but if he gets it going like he should... and players like Tukonen and Jack Johnson develop as we're all expecting, the Kings should be good in a few years.

The next year or so is going to be painful though.

gellar

For clarity, I was speaking to outside of LA.  I am sure in LA Kopitar is getting press, but to the rest of the NHL world, especially those of us in the east there is very very little coverage.  The NHL needs to step up and really spotlight these young players.  They need to get a new TV deal which demands all games be available in HD.  They need to drop the current scheduling experiment and go back to schedules which had more cross conference play.  People in Pittsburgh should be able to see guys like Kopitar play, just like people in LA should be able to see guys like Crosby and Malkin play more often than once every 4 years.  They should drop division opponent games to say 6 per year, then drop conference opponent games to 2 per year and add more cross conference games.  Bring back the big road trips which helped bring teams together.  Bring back the exposure of cross conference players.  Give all the fans a chance to see the amazing talent the NHL has now.

ok rant off... anyways yes, the next year is gonna be painful for LA but your young talent is tremendous.  Personally I think you need a different coach, never been a big fan of Crawford.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »

I like the scheduling the way it is. Honestly I don't care too much about western teams. The games are on too late to watch and even if they updated the schedule we'd go from playing them once to playing them twice. Woopie. I'm sure there are some great players over there, but I can watch them on SportsCenter if they do anything fantastic  icon_wink

I like the fact that Boston plays Montreal seven or more times a season. I HATE Montreal, and that makes it a more exciting game for me, despite the fact that we almost always lose to them. Every time Michael Ryder gets plastered into the boards is a great moment, whereas I don't particularly care if Big Z lays the smackdown on some nameless Anaheim Duck.

I wouldn't mind if they changed it so they reduced inter-conference games and made sure every team played every other team at least once, but I like the abundance of divisional play.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2006, 02:22:09 AM »

Quote from: Koz on November 02, 2006, 09:10:00 PM

I like the scheduling the way it is. Honestly I don't care too much about western teams. The games are on too late to watch and even if they updated the schedule we'd go from playing them once to playing them twice. Woopie. I'm sure there are some great players over there, but I can watch them on SportsCenter if they do anything fantastic  icon_wink

I like the fact that Boston plays Montreal seven or more times a season. I HATE Montreal, and that makes it a more exciting game for me, despite the fact that we almost always lose to them. Every time Michael Ryder gets plastered into the boards is a great moment, whereas I don't particularly care if Big Z lays the smackdown on some nameless Anaheim Duck.

I wouldn't mind if they changed it so they reduced inter-conference games and made sure every team played every other team at least once, but I like the abundance of divisional play.

The fact that there are western conference teams that only get to see a player like Sydney Crosby play in thier town once every 7 years (I believe, it is either 7 or Cool is a shame and it hurts the sport.  Exposure of these great young talents to allt he fans will help grow the sport.  You really think playing 6 instead of 8 division games is that big of a difference?  That is just 1 game per city less, but would allow much more cross conference play.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2006, 03:17:03 AM »

It's more of a difference than watching Crosby play 1 extra game a year. I like the rivalries a lot more than showcasing off young guys who may or may not even play that well on a given day. Ovechkin is the only player recently that I've ever wanted to watch in particular. I saw Crosby plenty last year, and while he is a fantastic player, I'd prefer to see the fast skating Buffalo Sabres dance around their opponents (like they did to the Bruins tonight in the final five minutes, sigh), or watch a Canadien or two get their faces smooshed into the boards.

Also, I believe it's once every three years. The way it works (or did last year) is that each division plays two of three divisions from the other conference for one game each. One division is away games, one is home. For instance the Bruins played San Jose at home last season. This season they don't play them at all and next they play them in San Jose. In 08-09 they would play them in Boston again.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: