http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 12:49:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HDTV - Plasma? LCD? DLP? Something else?  (Read 1289 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2010, 06:03:26 AM »

So my mom is wanting a nice TV for Christmas.  Since there are some smoking deals on HDTVs almost every where you look I wanted to hit everyone up and see where we stand on recent TV tech.  I have a 56" Mitsubishi Diamond that is a few years old.  It has toasted two batteries and it looks like the light engine is going bad for the second time in 5 years, so I'm starting to doubt the wisdom of DLP.   Can you guys shed some light on your experiences with different TVs, brands, types (plasma, etc.) and the like?  I need your help!  Thanks!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 06:09:14 AM »

I know that when I upgrade again, I'm wanting to go to LCD, but then again, I'm only looking at about 42" personally.  Then again, I'm poor comparatively. 

Probably in 2011 or 2012 is when I'll upgrade, presuming my 32" lasts that long (made in 2008)
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 06:45:25 AM »

I have yet to see a better picture for the price than a Panasonic plasma HDTV.  The picture seems sharper, the colors are more vibrant, the blacks are deeper, it's just better in every way.  LCDs always seem a little harsh and off-color to me.  I've seen deals on Panasonic 42" plasmas for close to $500-$600, which is a steal.

XBox Live:  JNacht
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 07:01:58 AM »

There are three common types of displays right now: plasma, lcd, and led.  DLP and projectors are much less popular due to the cost of replacement bulbs.

1. Plasma

Pros: very nice picture, best value for the money.
Cons: weigh more, use more electricity, thicker, many people complain the picture doesn't hold up well in rooms with a lot of natural light.

2. LCD

Pros: most popular type right now, good value for the money, thinner and lighter and use less energy then plasmas.
Cons: picture quality isn't as good as plasmas (though a lot of people cannot tell the difference).

3. LED

Pros: a version of LCD that uses LED lighting instead of fluorescent lighting. Super thin and light and use the least electricity. Picture quality is better then LCD and is pretty close to plasma.
Cons: cost the most right now.

As for brands, the usual suspects are solid choices, but some brands do some technologies better then others.  Check your favorite tech site and whatnot depending on what you decide to go after.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 12:51:01 PM »

Honestly there is no real difference between the picture on an LCD vs a Plasma.  They both have fantastic pictures when set right for the watching environment you've chosen.
 Plasmas do seem to be a bit less expensive per screen size, so if you're not worried about the TV being a bit larger in depth then plasma is an excellent choice.
 I myself have a Samsung lcd  and have no complaints at all.  If your looking for LCD the best brands include Samsung, Sony and believe it or not LG.  As someone else mentioned Panasonic is the king in the plasma market.
  If you're going to shop in a store, my advice is to research the models you're interested in first and check reviews.  You always find bad reviews from fan boys of other TVs but they are obvious so just ignore them.  Read the middle of the road reviews as they will point out any common problems with the set. Pay attention especially to comments about picture quality.   When you go into the store, do not rely on the picture you see there,  that's what you've researched for.  Look at the physical aesthetics and test the various features.  Most stores are bad for tv viewing and you cant get a good picture comparison.  Add in that many sets wont have thier pictures tweaked properly and you'll be better off trusting reviews on picture quality.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 12:59:25 PM »

Note on sarkus's breakdown....

1. plasmas thickness.  Not an issue anymore.  They make Plasmas now that are just as thin as the LED screens.  We have some 58" ones at work that are like 1.4" thick.

morlac00 on PSN
envy24

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 01:35:18 PM »

I have a 50in panasonic viera plasma and its only 720 but i love it and the picute is great. We are looking at getting a second TV for the basement and while out browsing one day we stumbled on a 65in panasonic viera (sp) 1080p and it was the best picture i have ever seen. My wife's parents have a 1080p Samsung LCD and the 65in panasonic blew it away. I felt like i was there and not looking at a tv. I will never buy another TV (unless they stop making them or something better comes along) unless its a panasonic plasma
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 01:46:33 PM »

If it means anything, the TV I'm about to buy is a Samsung LCD.  I know plasmas are cheaper and with an arguably better picture (though I think the Samsung has a damn nice picture), I'd rather have the lower energy usage, especially since I use it a lot. 

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 01:51:09 PM »

We just ordered a Sharp Aquos 60" 240 hz LED to replace our 52" Toshiba LCD which has the weirdest green tint to everything. We bought it about 2 1/2 years ago and it's been a decent TV but I wish we would have spent a few hundred more.

We fell in love with the picture on the 240 Hz TV's after staring (drooling) at one at Costco. We were actually interested in a Samsung 3D but ... I just don't know about the whole 3D TV thing. Anyway. We found a killer deal on one of the highest rated Sharp's and took the plunge. These things are so crystal clear. It's like you have a window on the wall and can see the actors on the other side. It's freaky but I love it. Our new TV ran just under $1,800.

I wish I knew more about Plasma but somewhere along the line I got it in my head that they had bad viewing angles or something.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 02:33:48 PM »

I have a 50" LG plasma I bought 2 Black fridays ago and its great.  It only goes to 720 but even that when watching a broadcast event looks amazing.  Viewing angle on it is, per the manual, 178 degrees; so no issue with viewing angles.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 04:14:54 PM »

Quote from: Boudreaux on November 24, 2010, 06:45:25 AM

I have yet to see a better picture for the price than a Panasonic plasma HDTV.  The picture seems sharper, the colors are more vibrant, the blacks are deeper, it's just better in every way.  LCDs always seem a little harsh and off-color to me.  I've seen deals on Panasonic 42" plasmas for close to $500-$600, which is a steal.

This.  I have 2 Panasonic 1080p plasmas, and the picture quality is second to none.  They are constantly rated among the highest picture quality of all HDTVs on the market.  CNET's review of my P50V10.

The bottom line: The high-end Panasonic TC-PV10 series of plasmas delivers the overall best picture quality of any flat-panel HDTV we've tested so far this year.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 04:38:23 PM »

We have a 46" Sharp Aquos LCD and we like the picture, but the speakers are really quiet.  If you use your sound system all the time this isn't an issue, but I would also suggest you look into that as well.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 09:10:53 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on November 24, 2010, 04:14:54 PM

This.  I have 2 Panasonic 1080p plasmas, and the picture quality is second to none.  They are constantly rated among the highest picture quality of all HDTVs on the market.  CNET's review of my P50V10.

The bottom line: The high-end Panasonic TC-PV10 series of plasmas delivers the overall best picture quality of any flat-panel HDTV we've tested so far this year.

Amazon pointed me to [urlhttp://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50G25-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B003924UCK/ref=sr_ob_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290632939&sr=8-1]this model[/url] as a newer version.   Does your version have the 'game mode' this thing is talking about?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 10:39:46 PM »

When i purchased my Samsung LCD, it was down to that and a Panny Plasma.  I got a fantastic deal on the Samsung but I know that I would have been very happy with the Panasonic.  If I had wanted to go to a bigger screen I probably would have gone with the Panny.  You cant go wrong either way.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 11:22:31 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 24, 2010, 09:10:53 PM

Quote from: rickfc on November 24, 2010, 04:14:54 PM

Amazon pointed me to [urlhttp://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50G25-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B003924UCK/ref=sr_ob_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290632939&sr=8-1]this model[/url] as a newer version.   Does your version have the 'game mode' this thing is talking about?

If I had to guess, I'd say that this one would be closer.  The V10 series was the 2009 flagship screen, so it was also the most pricey of their TV's.  Mine does not have a game mode, so I'm not really sure what that's about.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 04:09:56 AM »

Be careful with TVs with 120/240 Hz refresh rates.  Speaking from personal experience, they bug the crap out of me when I see them in the store (and from watching my parents' right now, it's still a bit jarring even after prolonged exposure).

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 07:31:13 AM »

I recently bought near top of the line offerings from both Samsung and Panasonic. The Sammy is a 55" LED LCD, and the Panny is a 50" plasma. After having both for about ~2 months I definitely prefer the Panasonic plasma, much more than I would have expected. Both are great TVs, but the plasma handles fast motion more smoothly, there is less input lag, and I find the color quality to be natural. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice, but I'm convinced that if someone had a chance to sample several movies on a properly calibrated plasma and LED LCD side-by-side, most people would choose the plasma.

Taken another way, if I had the chance I would return my LCD for a second plasma.

On the Panasonic plasmas, "game" mode is basically increased brightness and contrast, which many people often refer to as "torch" mode. It also slightly decreases input lag (which on a plasma is already imperceptible). Personally, I find that mode's color and brightness to be very harsh. Think of it as a marketing gimmick.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 07:33:25 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 05:59:46 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on November 25, 2010, 04:09:56 AM

Be careful with TVs with 120/240 Hz refresh rates.  Speaking from personal experience, they bug the crap out of me when I see them in the store (and from watching my parents' right now, it's still a bit jarring even after prolonged exposure).

Depending on the tech, it can be intrusive. Samsungs used to have a prediction method that made foregrounds pop (sans 3d glasses) but that was kinda nausea-inducing.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 06:52:03 PM »

I won't ever buy another DLP. Love the Vizio LED-LCD I bought earlier this year (was in January...was their new top end at the time, replaced a few months later with a similar set +3D capability).

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 07:40:45 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on November 25, 2010, 07:31:13 AM

On the Panasonic plasmas, "game" mode is basically increased brightness and contrast, which many people often refer to as "torch" mode. It also slightly decreases input lag (which on a plasma is already imperceptible). Personally, I find that mode's color and brightness to be very harsh. Think of it as a marketing gimmick.

It probably depends on the model, as my 2009 Panasonic has a game mode, but it doesn't affect the color/brightness at all.

I won't ever buy another DLP.

No one should at this point - it's ancient tech, relatively speaking.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 09:20:42 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 26, 2010, 06:52:03 PM

I won't ever buy another DLP. Love the Vizio LED-LCD I bought earlier this year (was in January...was their new top end at the time, replaced a few months later with a similar set +3D capability).

Just out of curiosity did you have a bad DLP experience?  Because Ive read reviews on the current run of Mitisubishi DLP's and they consistently get top grades.  According to CNET DLP's have pictures every bit as good as the current LCD's and Plasmas.  They have virtually eliminated the "rainbow effect" by using LED and laser based mirrors.  CNETalso pointed out that especially when going with a larger screen DLP's provide by far the best value.  On the down side the general public is so enamored with LCD and LED width that anything projection based is considered ancient technology.  While the tech has been updated, improved and provides a great picture probably the more accurate statement is that DLP is almost a dead technology.   Not because it doesnt work but because it has an undeserved bad reputation based mostly on the tech from 5 years ago.
 I looked into DLPs out of curiosity because I saw a black friday deal on a very nice Mitsubishi DLP.  A 65" 1080P for $800 shipped.  The particular model reviewed at 4.5 out of 5.  Im not in the market as my finances are pretty screwed right now but at that price I had to check.   

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 09:44:21 PM »

DLP's problem isn't that the picture quality is bad, it's that they are a) rear projection and thus big and bulky in comparison to the LCD, plasma, and LED, and b) you have to replace the lamp every few years (normal use) compared to no additional cost with other technologies.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 01:12:35 AM »

The recent line of DLP's from Mitsubishi utilize an LED light system and they now are rated at 6,000 hours. Thats about 3 1/2 years if you watch it 5 hours a day.  Size definitely is but if you are not hanging it on a wall, then I dont see it as a major drawback.  The depth of the 65" is 15 "  Yes thats a lot compared to an LED or LCD tv but as I said unless youre hanging it on a wall, its easy to cope with.  For $800 I could live with the slight inconvenience. 

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 02:42:40 AM »

Yeah, my issue is with the rainbow effect. I like our Toshiba otherwise. Never had a problem with it or had to change a bulb. Still, I can't see why you'd want to buy one over an LCD at this point (though the Mitsubishis are supposed to be great and that price sounds awesome).

Ruining language with my terrible words.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2010, 02:50:23 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 27, 2010, 02:42:40 AM

Yeah, my issue is with the rainbow effect. I like our Toshiba otherwise. Never had a problem with it or had to change a bulb. Still, I can't see why you'd want to buy one over an LCD at this point (though the Mitsubishis are supposed to be great and that price sounds awesome).

Last time I checked, the contrast levels of the DLP's couldn't touch the ones of LCD or plasma.  In my research, here's how they compared:

DLP < LCD < Plasma
BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2010, 01:44:21 PM »

I bought this 42" Hitachi 1080P LCD at Sams Club yesterday for $498 http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1390293&iid=DATE|Homepage|POV|POV1  It looks like the price is still good today also.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2010, 06:53:41 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on November 27, 2010, 02:50:23 AM

Quote from: Misguided on November 27, 2010, 02:42:40 AM

Last time I checked, the contrast levels of the DLP's couldn't touch the ones of LCD or plasma.  In my research, here's how they compared:

DLP < LCD < Plasma

This is from Texas Instruments Technology site.  Now granted they developed the tech but hers what they say:

What are the advantages of DLP technology compared with LCD technology?
Picture quality with DLP technology is superior, for the following reasons:Higher Contrast: The simpler optical system reduces the unwanted effect of "stray" light, allowing for better contrast ratios, which means sharper, more detailed images.
Better Motion Reproduction: Pixel switching speeds in DLP technology are faster, allowing more accurate reproduction of fast-moving action without smear or ghosting.
More Film-like Images: The high "fill factor" of DLP technology creates images that are smoother and more film-like, compared with technologies where individual pixels in the image are clearly visible, creating a pixilated effect.
It also has other advantages:Digital: DLP technology is digital, as opposed to analog, so images are reproduced more accurately.
Reflective: DLP technology is reflective, as opposed to transmissive, which means that it is less susceptible to degradation caused by the absorption of light

heres the link:  http://www.dlp.com/hdtv/dlp-mitsubishi-faqs/default.aspx#2

In truth, there is a lot of fan boy misinformation out there about DLP.  It get stated so often the repetition almost make it the truth.  I myself have an lcd tv that is fantastic, Im happy with it but if I was to look at a 65" tv in the LCDformat I would be paying at least 3 times as much for it.  Ive seen these new DLP's and the picture is very competative with LCD and plasma.  The only real draw back Ive seen is size, it is bigger.  Im sure eventually DLP will go the way of HD-DVD, Laser Disc and other good ideas that failed in the market. For now though its a great option if youre willing to do a bit of research and not believe everything you hear on the net about it.   Anyway, Im done pimpin dlp, if you want to drink the LCD koolaid and ignore other excellent options, by all means do so. 

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2010, 07:36:39 PM »

DLP will probably live on through projectors. I have a projector and a cheapass Westinghouse LCD TV. I use the projector for movies and occasional gaming, and the TV for everything else. Nothing, absolutely nothing, beats a 120" 720p/1080i screen for $700.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2010, 10:37:14 PM »

I'm very happy with the two Mitsubishi DPLs that I've bought over the years, last was a 65" Diamond model, still going strong and haven't had a lamp go out yet. [crosses fingers, spits]  paranoid

When it came time for something on the wall in a smaller room, I went the whole Plasma v. LCD route and ended up with a 50" Samsung plasma. Somewhat subjective but I liked what I saw watching the plasmas over the various LCD sets. Really wanted the Panasonic model that was out at the time but there was a three-month backorder or some such silliness going on so ended up with the Samsung which I haven't had any issues with.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2010, 11:55:23 PM »

I've had a Samsung 61" DLP for several years and my parents have had a 65" Mits DLP for about the same and they've been great.  At the time they were pretty much the best way to get a great looking screen that size without taking out a second mortgage.   That said, yesterday I purchased a 58" Panasonic VT25 plasma to replace the Sammy. 
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2010, 01:13:16 AM »

How much more does a plasma actually cost to run than an LCD? I think I'm about to get a 46" Samsung LCD for $800-900, but if I can get a 50" plasma with a nicer picture for the same price or less, I'm all for that unless it's going to wind up costing me more in electricity bills.

BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2010, 02:16:01 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 28, 2010, 01:13:16 AM

How much more does a plasma actually cost to run than an LCD? I think I'm about to get a 46" Samsung LCD for $800-900, but if I can get a 50" plasma with a nicer picture for the same price or less, I'm all for that unless it's going to wind up costing me more in electricity bills.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about that as I'd be surprised if it was more than $50-$75/year difference, that's just my opinion though smile  One thing to keep in mind though is if you plan on hanging your tv on the wall, is that a plasma probably weighs twice as much as the same size LCD.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2010, 03:27:04 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on November 25, 2010, 04:09:56 AM

Be careful with TVs with 120/240 Hz refresh rates.  Speaking from personal experience, they bug the crap out of me when I see them in the store (and from watching my parents' right now, it's still a bit jarring even after prolonged exposure).

They only look like that if the frame interpolation features are turned on. You can turn that off and still get the benefits of the faster refresh rate (reduced jitter in smooth motion, etc) without the weird home video look.

The only time I keep those motion smoothing features on is when watching football, where it works awesomely.

Oh, and:

Quote from: BuckeyeShane on November 28, 2010, 02:16:01 AM

Quote from: Chaz on November 28, 2010, 01:13:16 AM

I personally wouldn't worry too much about that as I'd be surprised if it was more than $50-$75/year difference, that's just my opinion though smile  One thing to keep in mind though is if you plan on hanging your tv on the wall, is that a plasma probably weighs twice as much as the same size LCD.

Yeah. Plasmas have gotten way more efficient than they used to be. Expect a relatively minor difference in power usage as far as your monthly bill is concerned.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 07:21:43 PM »

Okay, I've been reading around about the Samsung LCD that I was looking having some nasty input lag for gaming, so now I'm thinking about one of the Panasonic G25 series plasmas.  Of course, they're more expensive than I was planning on, coming in at between $1000 and $1100.  It also seems like the 50" ones are easier to find than the 46", and I'm not convinced my new living room is going to be big enough to comfortably house a 50".  Hell, even 46" may be too big.

Any other options than the G25 that are almost as good but cost less?  The LG 50PK550 is also in the running, since it's about $200 less.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 09:21:02 PM »

I will warn you about the amazing shrinking screen phenomena. Being used to a smaller tv, you will buy a big screen and think Damn!  this is ginormous!  Within a few weeks you will aclimatize to the screen size and experience remorse that you didnt get that bigger TV.  Unless youre dealing with a viewing range of 5 or 6 feet,  50" is not too big and youll wish you had gone with it in hind sight.

Regarding the samsung LCD  I have one and have absolutely no issues with input lag.  I use mine  ( 42"  its in my den about 6 ft away  and yes I have screen envy  lol  ) with my xbox 360 and with my computer as well and wasnt even aware there were issues with them.  Maybe it has to do with different models or such but my experience with the samsung LCD has been nothing but stellar.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 09:35:28 PM »

I don't think I'm going to think DAMN about the size of any of the TVs I'm considering.  The TV I'm getting rid of is a 57" RPCRT that is just too huge to keep any longer (cabinet, not screen size).  I'm pretty sad about losing 5-9" on the screen.

I'm now also considering the Panasonic P50S2, which is significantly cheaper than the G20/25.

Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 09:36:35 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on November 29, 2010, 09:21:02 PM

I will warn you about the amazing shrinking screen phenomena. Being used to a smaller tv, you will buy a big screen and think Damn!  this is ginormous!  Within a few weeks you will aclimatize to the screen size and experience remorse that you didnt get that bigger TV.  Unless youre dealing with a viewing range of 5 or 6 feet,  50" is not too big and youll wish you had gone with it in hind sight.

Regarding the samsung LCD  I have one and have absolutely no issues with input lag.  I use mine  ( 42"  its in my den about 6 ft away  and yes I have screen envy  lol  ) with my xbox 360 and with my computer as well and wasnt even aware there were issues with them.  Maybe it has to do with different models or such but my experience with the samsung LCD has been nothing but stellar.

I'm dealing with a viewing range of 6 feet and using a 65" Samsung DLP. It is NOT too big.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2010, 12:18:24 AM »

I swung by Best Buy on my way home to check out TVs, and I'm back to being sold on the Samsung LCD.  Unfortunately, neither the higher-end Panasonic nor the LG plasma are in stock at any of the stores near me, so I couldn't check them out.  The Panasonic S2 had a nice picture, and I could probably get it looking good with adjustments, but I definitely saw the graniness that multiple reviews mentioned.  On the other hand, I really, really like the picture on the Samsung even in the store, so I should like it even better once it's calibrated.  I suspect that once I get used to it, I won't notice any input lag for gaming either.

Of course, as with most things, none of the nitpicking is likely to matter once it's set up at home.  I like a good picture, but I'm totally not one of the AVS guys who will make seven returns looking to eliminate some tiny blemish.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2010, 12:26:45 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 29, 2010, 09:35:28 PM

I don't think I'm going to think DAMN about the size of any of the TVs I'm considering.  The TV I'm getting rid of is a 57" RPCRT that is just too huge to keep any longer (cabinet, not screen size).  I'm pretty sad about losing 5-9" on the screen.

I'm now also considering the Panasonic P50S2, which is significantly cheaper than the G20/25.

Yeah, we're getting a Panasonic P46S2 for the same reason as you. As far as I could tell, the only thing the G20/25 has is fancy Viera stuff which I don't give a crap about.

The grainy stuff worries me though. Is it that bad? Should we go with the Samsung LCD instead? From what I've seen, the picture on the Panasonic is better (deeper colors, etc).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:28:58 AM by ravenvii » Logged
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2010, 12:39:35 AM »

I can't tell you.  Impressions on AVS said that once you set the S2 down to movie mode, the graniness either isn't there or is barely visible.  I didn't muck with settings at the store, so I can't confirm that.  The grain was there, but was probably more visible in side by side comparison with other sets.  By itself, it probably would be fine.

This cnet review actually draws a number of comparisons between the c630 and the S2, and generally the Samsung comes out at least equal to the S2, which makes me feel pretty okay with going with it.  I also worry a bit about reports of the Panasonic plasmas losing black depth over time as well as inconsistent blacks during use.

Basically, that review makes me feel pretty confident going with the Samsung.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:44:21 AM by Chaz » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: