http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 06:35:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HD-DVD, we have a (real) problem...  (Read 1144 times)
WinoMcCougarstein
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2007, 05:28:26 AM »

Apparently HD-DVD movies are officially cracked and rips are now popping up all over the internet. 

A short list of cracked movies:
Kingkong
Serenity
Apollo 13
V for Vendetta
Chronicles of Riddick
Superman Returns

No, I am not selling my soul to the blu-ray side just yet, and no, I dont believe this is a fatal blow to HD-DVD but I thought it was worth pointing out.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 06:42:04 AM »

If I recall, this was just a small compromising of one specific HD-DVD code from a software HD-DVD player that left its data unencrypted.

They said they could revoke the code for later HDDVD releases, but who knows if this is just a spin on some very bad news, or the truth.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 07:21:41 AM »

Well if its a limited scope then its probably not too big a deal, but extensive pirating could really hurt them early on.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 07:58:01 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 14, 2007, 06:42:04 AM

If I recall, this was just a small compromising of one specific HD-DVD code from a software HD-DVD player that left its data unencrypted.

They said they could revoke the code for later HDDVD releases, but who knows if this is just a spin on some very bad news, or the truth

They are fully ripped and playable now.  I do believe that for future releases the codes can and probably will be changed.  Of course, those will probably be hacked as well.  Like I said though, I doubt this will really do much to hd-dvd and I would imagine blu-ray will be cracked someday too.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 01:56:18 PM »

Can you even buy recordable HD-DVD hardware/media for a reasonable price?
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 02:31:56 PM »

It's only a matter of time before this happens with Blu-Ray or any format, for that reason.  Why the worry with HD-DVD?

xbox live: nude rick james
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 03:06:03 PM »

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't understand how this dooms HD-DVD in any sense.

Or how it helps Blu-Ray.

The scummy side of society will always find a way to bootleg stuff.  It hasn't doomed games or movies.  Or even music, really.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 04:46:34 PM »

I think the idea is that if HD-DVD movies can be easily pirated while Blu-Ray movies cannot, studios will logically migrate all of their support over to the format that promises them the most secure profits.  I don't know if this situation is serious enough convince any movie studio to reconsider their positions, but it's certainly the *type* of thing that could tip the momentum of this competition.

-Autistic Angel
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 05:10:50 PM »

ninja  Was Sony behind it?   ninja
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 05:59:01 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 14, 2007, 04:46:34 PM

I think the idea is that if HD-DVD movies can be easily pirated while Blu-Ray movies cannot, studios will logically migrate all of their support over to the format that promises them the most secure profits.  I don't know if this situation is serious enough convince any movie studio to reconsider their positions, but it's certainly the *type* of thing that could tip the momentum of this competition.

-Autistic Angel

Right... the reasoning behind certain studios picking the Blu-Ray format is that they had considerably stricter DRM than HD-DVD.  Now those studios are sitting around going "HAHA WE TOLD YOU SO ASSHOLES!"

I certainly expect Blu-Ray to be cracked at some point, but it is interesting that HD-DVD was cracked first.

gellar
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 06:12:24 PM »

I think the idea is that if HD-DVD movies can be easily pirated while Blu-Ray movies cannot, studios will logically migrate all of their support over to the format that promises them the most secure profits. 

Most studios were already behind Blu-Ray but they keep making HD-DVD movies because there are more HD-DVD players out there so profit is higher. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 06:32:49 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 14, 2007, 05:10:50 PM

ninja  Was Sony behind it?   ninja

in a format war that's a question that will always linger.  I say MS should just buy Sony and get it over with  slywink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 08:16:22 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on January 14, 2007, 06:12:24 PM

I think the idea is that if HD-DVD movies can be easily pirated while Blu-Ray movies cannot, studios will logically migrate all of their support over to the format that promises them the most secure profits. 

Most studios were already behind Blu-Ray but they keep making HD-DVD movies because there are more HD-DVD players out there so profit is higher. 

Except there are not more players out there now. Blu-Ray has HD-DVD beaten by a huge margin with the number of players sold. In standalone units, HD-DVD has an advantage, but that is a drop in the bucket compared to the PS3 sales figures. The HD-DVD add-on has sold fairly well for an add-on, but it doesn't come anywhere close to the PS3's numbers. The PS3 is a Blu-Ray player and the studios know it. Blu-Ray software sales have shot way up and even beaten HD-DVD now that the PS3 is out.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 08:26:40 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 14, 2007, 08:16:22 PM

Quote from: farley2k on January 14, 2007, 06:12:24 PM

Except there are not more players out there now. Blu-Ray has HD-DVD beaten by a huge margin with the number of players sold. In standalone units, HD-DVD has an advantage, but that is a drop in the bucket compared to the PS3 sales figures. The HD-DVD add-on has sold fairly well for an add-on, but it doesn't come anywhere close to the PS3's numbers. The PS3 is a Blu-Ray player and the studios know it. Blu-Ray software sales have shot way up and even beaten HD-DVD now that the PS3 is out.

You know when we were talking about this before the PS3 came out, I wasn't convinced. I also thought that the HD-DVD add on would sell more than, what, 198k? While thats good accessory numbers, I think the potential of having 3 million or so Bluray players on the market in 12-15 months with the PS3 plus standalone sales is going to make a big difference here. For someone like me that knows relatively little about this format war-it seems like Bluray is on its way up.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 11:00:22 PM »

Yes but in a matter of months, the Xbox360 units with HDDVD built in will be out.  That will put the format into high gear, especially when many people will sell off their normal 360's and get the new unit.  (or return them to costco, wink)

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 11:19:15 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on January 14, 2007, 11:00:22 PM

Yes but in a matter of months, the Xbox360 units with HDDVD built in will be out.  That will put the format into high gear, especially when many people will sell off their normal 360's and get the new unit.  (or return them to costco, wink)

In a matter of months? How do you know that?

I really don't think there will be a 360 w/HD-DVD built in anyway. One with HDMI and a larger hard drive....sure I can see that, but HD-DVD. No way. That will drive up the cost too high and they will lose the advantage they currently have over the PS3.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 11:36:27 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on January 14, 2007, 11:19:15 PM

Quote from: Kobra on January 14, 2007, 11:00:22 PM

In a matter of months? How do you know that?

I really don't think there will be a 360 w/HD-DVD built in anyway. One with HDMI and a larger hard drive....sure I can see that, but HD-DVD. No way. That will drive up the cost too high and they will lose the advantage they currently have over the PS3.

Yes a matter of months.  Who knows how many, 6? 10? 12?  Regardless, a matter of months.  icon_lol

Personally, I wouldn't bank on EITHER format.  Seems pretty antiquated to have to wait for movies in the mail, or go out and pick them up.  In this day and age, I should be able to pull up a menu on the TV, pick a movie, and start watching it in minutes. Tivo is unbelievably good, I find myself watching shit Tivo grabbed more than wanting to be hassled with a DVD.  Once the bigtime movies start being accessible via this method, DVDs will seen dated.  That could happen within the 3-5 years it takes for either format to catch the mainstream.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 11:38:24 PM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: