http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 01:28:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HBO's Rome starts tonight!  (Read 1548 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2005, 01:07:26 PM »

Looks like a good one.  I love the setting but I'll have a hard time not comparing it to "I, Claudius".

According to the website it starts tonight at 9:00.  I assume that's Eastern time.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 01:47:49 PM »

I don't have cable, so I'll miss this...but I liked the miniseries that appeared on CBS recently, Empire.  It was pretty good.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 03:05:03 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
I don't have cable, so I'll miss this...but I liked the miniseries that appeared on CBS recently, Empire.  It was pretty good.

I agree.  I loved it.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 05:36:46 PM »

Season finale of 4400 is tonight.  Thank God for DVR's.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 03:58:22 PM »

but I liked the miniseries that appeared on CBS recently, Empire. It was pretty good.

Empire was one of the worst shows I think I've ever seen.  I love the subject, but couldn't handle the poor writing and stupid storyline.  I was really looking forward to the HBO series until Empire.

I did watch Rome last night.  It has promise, but overall I'm ehh about it.  The first show probably should have been two hours and setup more of the storyline then it did, so I'll probably give it another show or two before I decide.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 04:03:58 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
I did watch Rome last night.  It has promise, but overall I'm ehh about it.  The first show probably should have been two hours and setup more of the storyline then it did, so I'll probably give it another show or two before I decide.

But then the fantastic Entourage wouldn't have been shown last night.  I've only caught the first 15 minutes of Rome, hopefully get to the rest tonight.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 05:47:23 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
but I liked the miniseries that appeared on CBS recently, Empire. It was pretty good.

Empire was one of the worst shows I think I've ever seen.  I love the subject, but couldn't handle the poor writing and stupid storyline.  I was really looking forward to the HBO series until Empire.

One thing to note about Rome - reviewers were sent the first six episodes and made the comment that the first three episodes were filmed together as a sort of pilot to pitch to HBO. Once the show was picked up, they retooled some of it so if you have problems with the first three, watch the next three and see if it's not more ironed out. Just thought I'd pop in with that tidbit. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 06:05:04 PM »

I did like it.  The opening credits were the height of suckage though.  Who greenlighted that?
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 11:45:56 PM »

But then the fantastic Entourage wouldn't have been shown last night.

Good point.  Entourage may be my wife's and my favorite show now, very good.

I believe that whiteboyskim.  It definitely felt like part of a pilot.  I'll watch a bit more and decide.  Its better then the other Rome show by far.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 09:11:24 PM »

Holy hot hell, bit late here but I just finished up the last disc of Season 1 of Rome (been renting them for free from BlockBuster with the total access thing) and damn that was a powerful series!

While it didn't have the big battle scenes I was hoping for (like in Gladiator) it was still a big budget series and focused more on the political/drama side of Rome.
The characters are easy to get attached to. I'd have to rate Rome right up there with my other favorites Battlestar Galactica and 24.
The ending of season 1 was a little sad, although it played out exactly as history made it. Should be interesting to see what's in store for the final season (season 2 will be the last) and how they wrap things up.

Anyone who hasn't seen it yet.. highly recommended rental! (Especially if you can get it for free with BB or the likes)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 09:40:35 PM »

I saw about two episondes and really didn't like it all that much.  Maybe I needed to see it from the start.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 11:23:12 PM »

Yeah watching from the start would help.. on disc 1, episode 1 I watched about 5 minutes and was ready to just turn it off and bring it back, didn't seem worth wasting 12 hours on something I didn't like.. but for some reason I ended up watching through the entire first episode and realized just how wrong I was. By the end of the third episode, I coudn't get enough of it. And all the while, all the big battles (Romans vs Gauls, Romans vs Romans, Romans vs Egyptians, etc.) were pretty much fast-forwarded to someone talking about how it played out, rather than recreating the actual battle scenes. (Though there are some minor small battles here and there.)

Also once you watch the very first episode, you can't help but to wonder if they had boob jobs back then, too.  icon_biggrin

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 03:24:04 AM »

I really liked the show.

I loved this marketing concept.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 02:54:03 PM »

I enjoyed the hell out of this show.  I love the political intrigue that seems to be prevalent in a lot of the HBO series, especially this one.  There's posters up all over Manhattan for the new season.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 03:29:32 PM »

Isn't the second season supposed to be the last season due to production costs?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 03:34:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 27, 2006, 03:29:32 PM

Yep. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2006, 09:19:30 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 27, 2006, 03:34:26 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 27, 2006, 03:29:32 PM

Yep. 

I wonder if there is going to be any actual closure for the main characters this time around.

On a side note, starting January 7th HBO is repeating the whole series to build up towards the season 2 premiere.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2006, 01:17:02 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 30, 2006, 09:19:30 PM

I wonder if there is going to be any actual closure for the main characters this time around.

Unlike Deadwood, I'm pretty sure that the decision that S2 would be the last was made *prior* to filming, so hopefully they'll wrap everything up. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: