http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 01:35:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have You Ever Truly Been Terrified?  (Read 1576 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2010, 08:55:13 PM »

I don't mean jump frights or scary movie type stuff. I mean real live terror?  I'm guessing most of the former and current military folks will have stories and I don't want you to have to relive anything, but I was pondering about this the other day.

I've had moments where I've been horrified and overcome by something I've watched (the Neda video would be one that still haunts me...probably the most horrible thing I've ever seen).  I've had moments where I'm panicked by losing my sight of my kids (JAY son!).  Also had some heart pounding encounters with bullies when I was in school.

Probably my most harrowing experience was coming out of a DC club late at night and watching a fight break out between a guy standing on a street corner and a passenger in a car.  They were about 50 feet from me.  The guy in the car pulled a gun and started shooting and I was in the line of fire.  Thing was I wasn't scared at that moment and I sort of watched it all unfold with a detached wonder. But afterwards I was like 'Wow, that was something.'

However, the most fear I've ever felt was when I was kid. A friend of mine and I were playing in some under construction houses and he thought it would be fun to light some caulk on fire.  He squirted some from the tube, and lit that bit on fire. Well I guess the flame followed the fumes and soon the whole tube was on fire and so was the tube next to it.  I had just enough time to thing 'Oh my God we're gonna burn this whole house down!' before we both piled drywall on top of it to smother it out.

Not particularly gripping stuff, but I'm okay with that. smile
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 09:09:49 PM »

The one moment I can think of? When I got rear ended on an interstate on ramp. The guy spun the rear of my car off to the right and the car drifted toward the left side of the ramp. The car slid over maybe 4 or 5 inches from the edge of the pavement, at which point the ground drops off at about a 60 degree angle with nothing at the bottom but some big trees.

If he'd been going any faster I very likely would have ended up wrapped around a tree.

It took me a few minutes to calm my heartbeat down and get my legs to stop shaking.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 09:11:25 PM »

Interesting thread...

I can't really remember many things like that, I guess my brain just blocks some of this stuff...

That being said, I remember one time, while living in Corpus Christi, a car pulled up to my apartments' parking lot while a friend and I sat outside smoking a cigarette.  They rolled the window down, and some crips started asking us about some other kids in the apartments that had been claiming to be crips.  Had a gun and a shotgun pointed at my head.  Oddly enough, like SL during the gunfire, I was cool and collected during the exchange, and they put the guns away.  They then proceeded to ask my friend and I if we wanted to join.   icon_eek  We politely declined.   icon_lol

The second most terrifying moment that I can remember vividly happened a few months ago when we took our daughter to a jumper place for a birthday party.  My wife was supposed to watch the baby for a minute, and she got stopped by another parent to talk.  Next thing you know, our daughter is nowhere to be seen.  I looked in every damn jumper in that place and didn't see her.  I walked behind all of them and nothing.  I walked the entire place several times.  I broke out into a cold sweat.  I was about to panic, when I turn around, and my daughter comes out of one of the jumpers and says, "hi, daddy!"

That was probably the most terrifying feeling I have ever experienced.

One that I don't remember at all, happened when I was pretty young.  In Colombia, we lived on a long street that had a sidewalk on each side and green areas in between.  Next to our neighborhood, there were open fields where cattle would graze and roam.  I was playing in the middle of the green area, when the cows came stampeding through our street.  My mom didn't have time to react, and, according to her, I just froze in place.  Somehow, I guess you could say miraculously, the cows all ran by me, and didn't touch me.  By the time the last cow had run past, I was still standing there, frozen in place.  If I could remember any of this, I'd say that it was terrifying, but since I can't, I'll just credit that as one of my mom's.  smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 09:17:23 PM »

Well a certain poster posted a topless pic of himself on Facebook......

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 09:22:30 PM »

While in college, I was out with the boys and feeling no pain (i'm a notorious light weight).  The driver for the night had a jeep.  It was summer so the top on the jeep was off.  Whenever this person would drive, I took great joy in pretending I was a famous historical figure often pictured in jeeps.  

unfortunately, on the night in question, a jilted lover or just plain sociopath decided he was going to whip out his gun  in front of the Sun Lounge and threaten some folks he obviously didn't like.  At that exact moment, we came tearing up to the front of the bar and I (drunk off my ass) jumped from my standing position in the front seat to the sidewalk...and landed right in front of the gun wielding psycho.

It went like this:

me:  I'M ROMMEL, THE DESERT FOX!  (stumbles onto sidewalk...looks up) hey...is that real?

Thankfully, I was able to get out of the guy's way and security called the cops on him.  he ran off, but was caught later.

I remember not being able to stop shaking for about an hour.

I also never did the Rommel bit again...

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 09:23:51 PM »

The first time my wife had an epileptic seizure.  I was playing Command & Conquer while she was asleep on the couch.  Suddenly I hear her making a grunting/choking noise.  I rush over to the couch to see her spasming and with bloody foam on her lips.

Called 911 and watched helplessly as she continued to thrash.  I heard the ambulance arrive but due to the odd placement of our apartment building I could tell the couldn't find our apartment and ended up circling the complex.  I ran out to the parking lot to direct them to the correct apartment and in the short time I was gone my wife had come out of the seizure but was extremely disoriented.  She ran out of the apartment and smack into the railing of the balcony entrance.  Had she been any taller (she's only 4'10") she would have gone right over the railing and down two stories to the pavement below.

Fortunately the EMT's were able to get her secured and took her to the hospital.  I followed shortly after with the kids where I met my wife in the ER and she told me she remembered nothing of what had happened.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 09:24:16 PM »

About 12 years ago I had a job where I had to regularly take day trips between Edmonton and Calgary, which is about 300 km.  The highway is nicknamed 'Canada's Autobaun' because its two or three lane, divided highway the whole way, and people tend to drive pretty aggressively.  Closest thing we have to an interstate.  Anyway, this particular day I was 2 hours into the drive and was going about 120 kph in a pack of traffic when I ran into the back of a rain storm (the ground went from dry to completely wet almost instantly) and began to hydroplane.  I was driving a small car, a Dodge Neon.  I immediately got off the gas and started slowing down, but at the same time an 18 wheeler overtook me from behind.  Between the draft of the truck and the lack of traction, I started spinning.  I did two complete 360 degree spins while sliding across 2 lanes of traffic into the ditch.  I vividly remember the faces of several people in a couple of cars as I was facing them, as well as another big rig flying past me on the far lane.  Miraculously I slid into the ditch with no one clipping me and no one else panicking and causing their own accident.  I started shaking and could barely walk for about 20 minutes.  Eventually I got myself together, drove back onto the shoulder, and proceeded to Calgary.  I have never been as sure I was about to die as that moment.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 09:35:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 28, 2010, 09:17:23 PM

Well a certain poster posted a topless pic of himself on Facebook......

finger  icon_lol
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 09:37:58 PM »

some stories aren't meant to be told..  I've seen some horrible things in my lifetime....

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 09:39:49 PM »

Some childhood things to share (not to kill the suspense, but most ended peacefully):
====================
As about a 6 or 7 year old kid, I walked to my good friend Brad's house after school from my bus stop once. It was just a few houses away, but I really should've just gone home first where my mom was waiting. I remember seeing these two older kids from school walking up the street, but I figured I'd be in Brad's family's house in a minute and didn't really think about them.

I knocked on their side carport door but nobody answered. His mom was watching a soap opera while ironing, and she had the volume WAY up.  Roll Eyes So I'm standing there pounding and pounding on the door.

As you might guess, the two kids reached the driveway and saw me. I kept knocking. I remember one had a half cast on one leg, and a strange thing on the end of his foot (like half of a soda can or something).

I think one of them sort of pulled me away from the door. And the two of them started saying things like "So what should we do with the kid?" "Yeah, should we beat him up?" "Or should we kill him?" "Ah, we don't even know him." This went on for a few tense minutes. I'm proud to say I didn't wet my pants. I think to this day it's the only time anyone ever talked about "killing me."  paranoid I was scared, but I tried not to show it.

Eventually the two Heavies themselves banged on the door, and still nobody answered. They backed off, said something like "Keep banging on the door kid, I'm sure they'll answer eventually," and walked back up the street.

*whew* Brad's mom finally let me in. I couldn't stop shaking for a while. When I got home, of course my mom screamed and yelled and hollered at me for not going home or calling as soon as I reached Brad's (I did call but not until later in the afternoon).

Addendum: Years later, during elementary school after-school recreation in our gym, I sat next to this guy. And it was one of those two guys! I remember looking at him in fear. But it had been years, he didn't remember me, not at all.
------------------------------------------
From junior high I have various memories of Terrified. I have no good memories from then (they'd call it "middle school" today). I had a horrific viola partner in orchestra when i was in 7th grade -- she was built like a truck and kept saying how she wanted to "beat me up." If she sat on me, I would've died.  icon_razz I was terrified of her, I hated her, it was really, just, unfair.
There was a blond jock named Jimmy, and while all the girls thought he was "hot," he was at his core a rotten human being. Once I was running back to the band classroom to put my viola case away before heading to lunch. I happened to run by Jimmy. He turned around, yelled "How ya DOING, CHINK!" (I'm part Korean) and pounded me as hard in my back as he possibly could. I was scrawny, maybe 5'2" then (I'm 6'4", 220 out-of-shape lbs. today at age 45). It hurt, I could hardly breathe...

I remember briefly thinking, "Hit him with your viola case!" "Jump on his back and claw his eyes out." "Kick him in the shins and the nuts!" But I was terrified of Jimmy. And I did nothing. I let fear and self-preservation win.  icon_frown I hope Jimmy either found religion, or just had a miserable adult life.  *Fist Shaking*
Lastly, the other big jock the girls were hot for was a guy named Chris. Not quite the malcontent Jimmy was, but still someone I was wary of.

One day in 8th grade wood shop class, I was working on a project after school in a smaller room where you did detail work on your projects. Chris and I were the only people there, and the teacher Mr. Randolph was in the classroom at his desk.

At some point Chris turned and walked over to me, looming I'm sure 8 inches taller than me, wearing his shop goggles. He goes, "Hey, are you SCARED of me?" I looked up, and sure I was terrified. But what came out of my mouth was a confident, "No, should I be?" Chris smiled, said, "Nah," and went back to his project. I never had any problems with him after that.

After that, when I'd hear the girls fawning over Jimmy and Chris, I'd wanna say "Chris might be redeemable. Jimmy's gonna burn in Hell."  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 10:12:40 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on July 28, 2010, 10:05:46 PM

Desert Storm, 1991

Thank you for your service.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 10:18:47 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on July 28, 2010, 10:12:40 PM

Desert Storm, 1991

This.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 10:45:40 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on July 28, 2010, 08:55:13 PM

I've had moments where I've been horrified and overcome by something I've watched (the Neda video would be one that still haunts me...probably the most horrible thing I've ever seen).  

Just Googled it and a description was enough.  I don't think I could actually watch it.

I'm racking my brain and can't really think of a time that I was truly terrified.   I have apparently led a very sheltered life.  There are a few times that I probably should have been terrified (going to a extremely seedy neighborhood in LA to get fake ID's and having the gangbanger that was making them tell his friend "Take care of them...they're white"), but since I lived that part of life in a permanent alcoholic haze, it never registered.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:48:40 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 11:57:05 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on July 28, 2010, 10:18:47 PM

Desert Storm, 1991

This.

+2.  I was just a stupid kid in my junior year of High School back then but looking back it's kinda disgusting how commercialized people made the whole thing.  there were Desert Storm trading cards for christsakes!  I'm hoping at least some of the money they made off that stuff went to food causes.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 01:02:09 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 28, 2010, 11:57:05 PM

Quote from: rickfc on July 28, 2010, 10:18:47 PM

Desert Storm, 1991

This.

+2.  I was just a stupid kid in my junior year of High School back then but looking back it's kinda disgusting how commercialized people made the whole thing.  there were Desert Storm trading cards for christsakes!  I'm hoping at least some of the money they made off that stuff went to food causes.

+1 to the thank you and one for the  finger to commercialization.  hooray, it's the new topps "faces of death" series of iraqi war victims.  god, that was sure classy work.

as for my most horrifying event, it's being on a free climb and realizing that the ground around and above me was soft as hell and i hadn't packed anything to help. 

i've also had some close calls with drowning and vehicle accidents.

nothing makes you go into a panic like realizing your 4 year old daughter didn't walk with her mother and had instead decided to take the long way around the park.  even thinking back to that makes me nervous.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 01:37:29 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on July 28, 2010, 09:37:58 PM

some stories aren't meant to be told..  I've seen some horrible things in my lifetime....

Yeah, I have a couple of stories that are too personal to share.

On a more mundane level, being in a car wreck can impart a few moments of terror when you realize that there's no avoiding it and no certainty that you're going to survive. I've walked away from three of those.

"Horrified" and "terrified" are two different things, but since the OP was about the former I'll mention the live news coverage of the 9/11 attacks. The planes hitting the towers were sickening enough, but the shots of people jumping to their deaths (which are never shown anymore) are the most horrifying thing I've ever seen.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 01:47:28 AM »

I was heading home for work up I65 N from Nashville (2 lanes both ways, wide, grassy median). A guy in a blue truck came over into my (passing) lane quickly, not seeing me there. I had no where to go, so was half in the median, half on the road. Before I could slow down my car lost traction and I went spinning out of control. I skidded across the grass median, into the southbound lane, hit a guardrail and was spun around. I came to rest facing oncoming traffic which was an 18-wheeler. I was like, oh shit. Luckily the trucker and other traffic had seen me skidding out of control and were already slowing down by the time I hit the guardrail and was spun around, so they did not come that close to hitting me, still was pretty scary.

Another time I was going home up I65 north around Bowling Green and at a bridge there was a major slowdown. A north-bound semi had went out of control and went across the median and started travelling up the southbound lane of a bridge (the kind where you have a low, solid concrete wall on each side of both the north and south bound lanes). It hit an SUV head on and a fire had started immediately. As I was moving past it in the north bound lane I glanced over and the roof of the SUV had been peeled back like a sardine can, and the whole SUV was charred black. Sitting upright in the drivers seat, plainly visible was the driver, which was at that point a charred skeleton with about 30% of the flesh remaining. That was pretty scary.

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 04:16:57 AM »

Embassy Duty in Haiti 1994

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 04:36:27 AM »

Back in the early 90's, I had surfed pretty regular until I moved out into my own place and shelved my board for about a year. One day, a guy at work, who surfed everyday, told me that I should get back into it. I agreed and we decided to go surfing the next day at lunch. We pulled up to Torrey Pines, which is near Black's beach in San Diego. The time is late fall early winter so we had to get our wetsuits on. As we are getting our boards ready my friend was looking at the surf and said to me that we didn't have to go in if I didn't want to as the waves seemed pretty big. Mind you, I wasn't about to back down over some "big waves". We entered the water and my friend was able to get ahead of my out of shape self to be about 50 yards away when he suddenly duck dived under this large roller coming in. When the wave broke, I shit you not, I was looking at a wall of white water that was at the very least 10 to 15 feet high. It exploded right in front of me and I started to feel a little uncomfortable. I decide that I will take my friends advice and not surf and began to turn my board around. I figured that I would just rider the white water in. Well the white water didn't lose size or speed and it hit me like a Mack truck. I was tumbling in the washing machine and couldn't right myself in the darkness of the wave. I finally clawed my way to the surface just in time to get thrown back into the rinse cycle. I was able to get a breath but my lungs were burning and that was when I realized that I was going to drown. I fought to get to the surface this time and was able to take in air just as I broke through. I would have breathed water if I had stayed under one more second. Luckily the second set didn't come in and I was able to paddle back  and crawled out onto the beach. Some guy eating lunch in his car came down and said he really feared for me. I thanked him and I never surfed again. I still have my surfboard in my garage.

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 04:50:16 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on July 29, 2010, 04:16:57 AM

Also a big, big thank you for your service. Guard positions don't get enough credit, but if it weren't for the guards at say, the US Embassy in Saigon, I wouldn't be here right now.

When I was young I was climbing a large hill as part of a scout camping thing on Catalina, the surface was a bunch of large rocks and the face I was gripping to gave away, thankfully someone caught me.

The most recent terror was driving in here in California in rainy weather with a bunch of idiots that don't understand that *gasp* other cars are also affected by the rain. As such, some braindead moron decided to quickly cut across 2 lanes of traffic, while going downhill, in a very thick downpour, just to make a turn signal at the bottom of the hill. Damn near caused a pile-up. My car, and other cars near me were slamming their brakes, sliding across the asphalt trying to avoid this guy while people just coming over the top of the hill behind us (and going near full speed) were also starting to react. Thankfully, nothing happened, but it wasn't a good experience.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 07:56:07 PM »

How old ARE you?!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 07:58:02 PM »

Quote from: hispanicgamer on July 29, 2010, 04:36:27 AM

Back in the early 90's, I had surfed pretty regular until I moved out into my own place and shelved my board for about a year. One day, a guy at work, who surfed everyday, told me that I should get back into it. I agreed and we decided to go surfing the next day at lunch. We pulled up to Torrey Pines, which is near Black's beach in San Diego. The time is late fall early winter so we had to get our wetsuits on. As we are getting our boards ready my friend was looking at the surf and said to me that we didn't have to go in if I didn't want to as the waves seemed pretty big. Mind you, I wasn't about to back down over some "big waves". We entered the water and my friend was able to get ahead of my out of shape self to be about 50 yards away when he suddenly duck dived under this large roller coming in. When the wave broke, I shit you not, I was looking at a wall of white water that was at the very least 10 to 15 feet high. It exploded right in front of me and I started to feel a little uncomfortable. I decide that I will take my friends advice and not surf and began to turn my board around. I figured that I would just rider the white water in. Well the white water didn't lose size or speed and it hit me like a Mack truck. I was tumbling in the washing machine and couldn't right myself in the darkness of the wave. I finally clawed my way to the surface just in time to get thrown back into the rinse cycle. I was able to get a breath but my lungs were burning and that was when I realized that I was going to drown. I fought to get to the surface this time and was able to take in air just as I broke through. I would have breathed water if I had stayed under one more second. Luckily the second set didn't come in and I was able to paddle back  and crawled out onto the beach. Some guy eating lunch in his car came down and said he really feared for me. I thanked him and I never surfed again. I still have my surfboard in my garage.

eek

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 08:08:25 PM »

Kato, like it was mentioned for the others who have also served, thank you.  You guys are true heroes, and I cannot come close to imagining the things you have seen or have had to do.

I salute you.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 08:14:45 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on July 30, 2010, 07:56:07 PM

How old ARE you?!

Assuming that he made it through basic and was posted there as a fresh-faced 18yo, he'd be 34 or older, same age group as myself and a lot of other forum members.  It's possible that he's older, but from the pics I've seen, I'd say if so, it's not by much.

From someone who never got to serve but wanted to (suck to my assmar!) and coming from a family with a lot of military service, you guys (and gals) that have served have my utmost respect.  I don't salute you, because, as a civilian, I'm not supposed to.  Tongue

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 08:15:37 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 30, 2010, 08:14:45 PM

I don't salute you, because, as a civilian, I'm not supposed to.  Tongue

Suck it, Izzy...   icon_wink
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 08:17:13 PM »

icon_lol

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 08:27:37 PM »

How old ARE you?!

Assuming that he made it through basic and was posted there as a fresh-faced 18yo, he'd be 34 or older, same age group as myself and a lot of other forum members.  It's possible that he's older, but from the pics I've seen, I'd say if so, it's not by much.

From someone who never got to serve but wanted to (suck to my assmar!) and coming from a family with a lot of military service, you guys (and gals) that have served have my utmost respect.  I don't salute you, because, as a civilian, I'm not supposed to.  Tongue

Lol Lettuce. I'm 34 years old...young  icon_wink  I enlisted early 1994 at age 17 and Haiti was my first duty station. 

edit: I still can't believe how crazy Haiti was back in '94.  Rebels overrunning major cities, and almost the U.S. Embassy
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 08:31:05 PM by USMC Kato » Logged

Semper Fidelis

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 08:31:30 PM »

How old ARE you?!

Dude!  Etiquette faux pas!

You never ask a lady her age! icon_twisted
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 08:34:57 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 09:09:07 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on July 30, 2010, 08:27:37 PM

How old ARE you?!

Assuming that he made it through basic and was posted there as a fresh-faced 18yo, he'd be 34 or older, same age group as myself and a lot of other forum members.  It's possible that he's older, but from the pics I've seen, I'd say if so, it's not by much.

From someone who never got to serve but wanted to (suck to my assmar!) and coming from a family with a lot of military service, you guys (and gals) that have served have my utmost respect.  I don't salute you, because, as a civilian, I'm not supposed to.  Tongue

Lol Lettuce. I'm 34 years old...young  icon_wink  I enlisted early 1994 at age 17 and Haiti was my first duty station.  

That's about what I thought, but I didn't know if you had access to the AZN fountain of youth and were actually older.  So you gonna retire in 3 more years or what?
KC

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2010, 09:29:27 PM »

Young kids in the hospital with serious illness. 
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2010, 11:33:47 PM »

Probably the worst was my wife's ectopic pregnancy. I was at a company gathering and she was on her way up to meet me for a dinner cruise they company was taking us out on. She calls me and can barely talk she is crying and in so much pain. I find out she pulled over in a parking lot. I didn't have my car, so I grabbed a guy I worked with and asked if he could drive me.

When I got to her she was curled up in a fetal position in the back seat in agony. I raced to the hospital with her, not knowing what the hell was happening. When we got inside they immediately took her back to do an ultrasound. That was when the doctor said some of the most heartbreaking words I've ever had to hear: "I don't see the baby." Here my wife is in agonizing pain, and they've just told her that her baby is gone too. It was the most helpless, painful thing I've ever had to sit through. I was trying to be strong for her but inside I was in utter despair.

They could see that she was losing an enormous amount of blood from internal hemorrhaging so they gave me the papers to sign to OK the surgery since she was in too much pain to even lift a pen. As I signed I honestly didn't know if it was the last time I was going to see her. Talk about terrified. I found out later that they removed almost 2 liters of blood from her abdomen.

Fortunately the doctors were able to save her fallopian tube, even though the fetus never had a chance. Things worked out OK in the end. A year and a half later my wife gave birth to our beautiful baby girl. But I still get emotional thinking about the what ifs. What if we had been out on the boat when it happened...what if I hadn't been able to get to her in time....etc. It was scary stuff.

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2010, 11:40:16 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on July 31, 2010, 11:33:47 PM

Probably the worst was my wife's ectopic pregnancy. I was at a company gathering and she was on her way up to meet me for a dinner cruise they company was taking us out on. She calls me and can barely talk she is crying and in so much pain. I find out she pulled over in a parking lot. I didn't have my car, so I grabbed a guy I worked with and asked if he could drive me.

When I got to her she was curled up in a fetal position in the back seat in agony. I raced to the hospital with her, not knowing what the hell was happening. When we got inside they immediately took her back to do an ultrasound. That was when the doctor said some of the most heartbreaking words I've ever had to hear: "I don't see the baby." Here my wife is in agonizing pain, and they've just told her that her baby is gone too. It was the most helpless, painful thing I've ever had to sit through. I was trying to be strong for her but inside I was in utter despair.

They could see that she was losing an enormous amount of blood from internal hemorrhaging so they gave me the papers to sign to OK the surgery since she was in too much pain to even lift a pen. As I signed I honestly didn't know if it was the last time I was going to see her. Talk about terrified. I found out later that they removed almost 2 liters of blood from her abdomen.

Fortunately the doctors were able to save her fallopian tube, even though the fetus never had a chance. Things worked out OK in the end. A year and a half later my wife gave birth to our beautiful baby girl. But I still get emotional thinking about the what ifs. What if we had been out on the boat when it happened...what if I hadn't been able to get to her in time....etc. It was scary stuff.

icon_cry

Semper Fidelis

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2010, 11:42:54 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on July 31, 2010, 11:40:16 PM

icon_cry

crybaby
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2010, 05:29:34 AM »

I was four years old and playing with a jump rope.  I think maybe my baby sister started crying.  Whatever the reason, I needed to get my mom.  She was out in the attached garage getting something.  The light to utility room that connected the house to the garage was off.  I didn't think to turn it on.  I was swinging this rope calling for my mom.   All of a sudden I hear this crash.  The handle of the jump rope broke the glass in the door to the garage.  I'm scared that I going to get in trouble; I'm in the dark, and my mom's not answering.  I reach for the doorknob to get into the garage.  Instead of the knob a sharp shard of glass cuts into my wrist.  I yank my hand back and am bleeding profusely.  I start screaming my head off and running around the house bleeding everywhere.  My mom comes in and sees the broken glass and the blood (and, of course, hears me screaming).  She starts chasing me around the house begging me to stop so she can help.  Eventually she tackles me.  She tries to bind the ragged wound, grab up me and baby, get us into the car and drive me to the emergency room.  With shock and blood loss, I don't remember anything clearly after that.  Obviously I survived.  I have a nice scar to show for it.  In case you're wondering, we lived only a couple of blocks from the hospital so it was much faster to just get me there than to call 911.  That wasn't the most terrifying thing in my life though.

I remember later as a kid having broken arms.  One was broken in three or four places.  It didn't set right the first time.  They told me they'd have to break it and reset it.  Waiting for that was most terrifying thing in my childhood.

I remember in the Air Force the first time I gave someone their orders to go into a combat zone.  It was a Master Sergeant with a wife and kids.  That was strangely terrifying.  Though he saw some ugly things, he came back just fine.

Later I signed for an Air Force equipment account valued at over $700 million dollars.  That was terrifying in a different way.

The most terrifying thing in my life came as a father.  My first son was born 10 weeks prematurely.  The first 24 hours was tough.  The time in the NICU was tougher.  When we went home, the little guy was fitted with an alarm.  It would notify us if his heart rate or breathing fell below acceptable levels.  The first time the first night we were awakened from a dead sleep by the alarm was the most terrifying moment of my life.  Each of the subsequent dozens of time was slightly less terrifying.  Each time I wondered if I was going have to put that CPR training to use on his tiny body.  Fortunately he never needed more than a pat on the back.  Many times it was just a loose connection.  He's pretty big and strong now, but I'll never forget how tiny and vulnerable he was.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2010, 01:45:36 PM »

My Mom had an ectopic pregnancy in 1964 and lost alot of blood but survived to have two more of us 'gamers. The Doctor told my Dad that my Mother could have died if she hadn't come into the hospital when she did.

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2010, 05:47:52 PM »

Mine would have been a knee injury.

I dislocated my kneecap while playing basketball when I was 16. A guy rolled over on my leg and pop. This was my left leg and my kneecap was on the left side, way far from where it should have been. It hurt. A lot. I had never heard myself scream before. But you can't really just lay there without clenching the muscle once in a while, and so every couple minutes I would scream in the worst pain I'd ever experienced. Took a good 20 mins or so for the ambulance to get there. Took another 10-15 minutes for them to get me onto a board and on the ambulance. Then it took an hour to get to the hospital. So by the time I got there I was pretty much in shock from the pain.

I remember the nurse asking me all these stupid questions. "On a scale of 1-10 what's the pain like?" "Is it a sharp pain or an ache?" Another nurse finally yelled at her, "it hurts like hell can't you tell?!"

Then the orthopedic doc finally came. My parents weren't there so they couldn't give me any drugs, because I was underage. The doc decided he had to do something even without my parents' permission. He grabbed my ankle hard and said, "look at my eyes!" That's a moment I'll always remember, because I could feel the terror rush through my body, not knowing what was going to happen next.

He began to straighten my leg and I yelled in pain and put my face into the pillow. He stopped and said, "come on, Brad, look into my eyes!" He started straightening my leg again and I looked right in his eyes and screamed in his face. God did that hurt. The kneecap finally went back into place and it was immediate relief.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2010, 12:02:48 AM »

I have more than a few "lucky to be alive" moments during my time on submarines.  Unfortunately I don't think I can elaborate much.  Twice i was pretty sure more than a few of us onboard would be dead.  Both time i think the "miss" distance was less than 20' probably less than 10'.

While learning to fly i was doing my night flying with my instructor.  We flew over to the Eastern Shore of Md and it was getting late.  We landed there and then headed home.  To save time he filed an IFR flight plan back which would take us right over DC (pre-9/11 by more than a few years).  While fling over DC the ATC turned a Northwest airlines heavy right into us.  My instructor was sort of sight seeing since he had never been over DC at night but fortunately for us I had had relative motion beat into me and had seen lights parallel to us moving past and then heard the call for a heavy to turn to what would a reciprocal of our course.  Sure enough about a mile or so away landing lights (the bright whites) start coming into view dead ahead.  We got the hell out of dodge.  Didn't really terrify me but the magnitude of what had almost happened hit us both after we had landed at Leesburg.  Amazingly nothing happened even though the NW pilot wanted the ATCs ass.  My instructor left aviation less than 6 months later....said it was the closest call he had had and he wasn't making much money as a flight instructor.

Absolute most terrifying two moments for me have been making the decision to take my mother off of support and having to make the decision to put my dog down......if there are more terrifying moments than those two I don't want to know about them.
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 07:48:56 PM »

A long time ago, when I was younger and better looking... I was dating this stripper. I was at her place. We were both naked doing what ever it is naked folk do. Then the unmistakable sound of a harley rolls up outside her door. She exclaims, "Oh crap, it's my ex-boyfriend, hide!". Well, this isn't going to end well I thought. I grabbed my clothes and ran into the bathroom. The guy bursts in the front door, he's angry about something, they argue. I'm standing in the bathroom naked and petrified. If I'm going to get my ass kicked, I'd at least like to be dressed for it, but I couldn't take the chance on making any noise. So I just stood there. Naked. Motionless. Wondering if I'd be in to work tomorrow. Eventually they finish their tiff, and he tears off on his bad motor-scooter. I lived, yay.

-Cota
Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2010, 03:28:52 AM »

This started out small but wow, its a wall of text now.  

Most of the times I should have been terrified were in the middle of action such that I didn't have time to think about it.    Even in the middle of raging car wrecks, people waving guns, and large-scale melees, I wasn't scared at the time.  A few times where there is that moment of sheer no-mind terror have involved other people and cars coming together in unnatural combinations. Knives have a different effect on me. Weirdly, I am much more afraid in the moment of being stabbed than being shot, although the former is generally longer than the latter; I guess my encounters with people armed with guns has generally been fleeting moments, where the knives have been much longer in duration.  I have been deathly afraid before things start but once whatever it is starts, mostly that part of me turns off. Later on after it is over is a different story, though.

A few though that aren't too hard to talk about:

-As a child, I lived in complete fear of my father.  The most egregious example I can think of, one night he threw the main breaker for some reason and then chased me around the house without saying anything for what seemed forever, which was probably like a couple of minutes in real time.  We lived way out in the country at the time and with none of the lights working, pure glistening terror poured out of me.  When I finally made it to my mother, she had to plead with him to stop in order to get him to leave off.   He was having a grand time, sick bastard.

-Blair witch lost in the woods in the early eighties.  Twelve years old with some compatriots, were were going to walk to the river, which was probably three miles by road.  At some point, someone had a bright idea to take a "shortcut" and end up at a popular swimming sandbar instead of the boat launch at the end of the road. We walked around in what must have been circles for hours before realizing we were less than a hundred yards from the road. After the third hour, I was deathly afraid we weren't going to find our way out before dark and that fear drove me like a horse with flanks streaked with foam.  I was beyond reason, rest, etc. in a total Bill-Paxton-we're-all-going-to-die-I-hate-the-woods way.  I was so completely turned around at that point you could hear the snap as my mind tried to fit my mental map with what I now knew to be where things actually were.

-I once was in a fight that left a guy unconscious and not breathing. To leave out most of the drama, this was in a night club, so once the bouncers got there, broke the fight up (not much to that; they colluded with my buddy, were bored, it was about 15 on 2 of us and we still came out on top, so we didn't mind stopping while we were ahead), and realized what had happened they turned off the music and turned on the lights.  Hundreds of people stopped dancing.  They ripped open his shirt to do CPR and he very visibly kicked back in and began breathing before they could start.   It was shocking, as I had seen plenty of fights but hadn't ever seen anything like that.  I went from shocked to terrified as people then proceeded to tell the cops I was the one who knocked the guy out.  At the start of the fight, my memory just completely blacked out.  I don't know that I would believe that kind of memory loss occurred if I hadn't experienced it first hand.  I thought my friend or someone else had done it.  Luckily, the club owner's wife convinced the police not to arrest me and then I avoided the mob that had gathered to exact justice while the police debated charging me.  Leaving the parking lot, I went around a guy who mysteriously went slow and came to a halt on a yellow at a stoplight.  Despite just narrowly avoiding going to jail, I ran the red; I wasn't in my hometown and wasn't interested in stopping until I was back on more friendly ground.  Looking back, probably 40 people poured out of the corner store and attacked the car who stopped behind that guy at the light.  140mph all the way back to my door.

-Home from college one winter break, I kept thinking someone was following me at night near my house.  I was with a cousin and a friend and we flat out ran away from a car that I thought had been "following" me.  Everyone was laughing until the car screeched around the corner we had just turned on in the worst movie-clichéd way possible.  I was so terrified and adrenaline-ridden that I couldn't literally couldn't drive my Mustang GT in a straight line.  The nose of the car was diving line-to-line across the two-lane road as everyone in the car screamed, either at being pursued so noisily or my out of control driving, or both.  The chase car stayed right on my bumper.  I somehow steered the car back to my house, where my grandfather recognized the car as it slowed down when I turned into the long driveway.  Turns out it was a convenience store owner from nearby who mistook my car for one of vandals who had been harassing him, although it was different year, model, and parts of color.  We confronted him about it that night and I almost lost my mind with rage when he realized he was wrong and tried to blame me for being guilty by running.  Lots of shouting but nothing else came of it.

Please don't PM me for the analyst fee that you all now probably deserve.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 03:54:10 AM by Rhinohelix » Logged

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2010, 03:37:51 PM »

Really just twice.

First time was when my brother had his brain aneurysm. I got a call late at night from his now father-in-law, and they told me what was going on. From the moment he said "he's bleeding in his brain", to when he woke up from surgery were just one big long terrified blur. It's a minor miracle, but he made a complete recovery, but given the odds we were certain he was either going to die or be brain damaged.

The second time was recent. Wife went in for a routine ultra-sound for the pregnancy, and they decide that the baby's head was measuring too small and there was a problem. They had us set up an urgent appointment with a specialist for the next day - 24 hours of being terrified that there was something wrong with my unborn son. He popped out a little over a week ago (thread an pictures to come soon), and was a full pound heavier than their ultrasound estimated, and is perfectly fine.

I almost got killed in a car wreck in college, guy t-boned my car at the rear right tire hard enough to spin me 180 degrees. But I never saw it coming so didn't have time to be terrified. And all the other injuries I've had over the years haven't been particularly terrifying, although the 40-stitch surfing wound in my foot was a doozy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: