http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 02:29:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have my first post-college job interview - need tips!  (Read 1046 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2006, 03:21:49 AM »

So I've been fishing around, applying at various jobs now since I'm out of college, and I finally have my first job interview in about a week.  It's for the position of a copywriter for a medicine/vitamin/herbal supplemental company.  I'm pretty excited, seeing as how it's my first job interview after completed college . . . but I'm also, naturally, a bit nervous.

So, to all of those who have had many job interviews - what questions should I really prep for?  What about that one question that goes like, "What's your worst trait?"  I've had about two other job interviews while in high school/college and this question was always asked.  What other sorts of things should I be aware of?  Should I be straightforward and mean all business or be a bit playful, crack a joke or two, and try a very conversational way of communicating?  Or does it really just depend on the situation?

Any tips on what you might/might not have done that you think could help me out would be appreciated!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 03:45:45 AM »

Don't throw up on the interviewer.

Ye Olde Farte
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 04:02:02 AM »

Just two pieces of advice:

1) Be natural.  If you're normally a joking kinda guy, do it at the interview.  If you're naturally very straight and to the point, be that.  Remember that the interview is a 2 way street... they have to find out if they want you to work there and you have to find out if you want to work there.  Nothing sucks worse than being at a place where you can't be yourself.

2) Research, research, research.  Know as much as you can about the job you're applying for.  Know even more about the company.  Prepare a list of 5-10 questions you want answered about the company/position.  Not only does it make you look good, but it also will give you a good idea whether or not it's a place you want to be.

Good luck.

gellar
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 04:43:04 AM »

I second what Gellar said, especially about the part where you need to find out if you want to work there.  About 6 years ago I had an interview during the IT boom.  Basically I could write my own ticket.  I went to this particular interview and I just felt "off" the minute I walked in the door.  The guy I would be working for (who was also doing the interviewing/hiring) looked wrong.  He had a strange personality, strange quirks, and a horrible case of halitosis.  He also fit the bill for the stereotype of a child molester.

Halfway through his questioning, I wasn't even concentrating on what he was saying.  I wanted to leave, right then right now.   I knew I could NEVER work with him, no matter what the circumstances.  I stopped the interview mid-sentence, thanked him for his time, did a 180,  and walked out the door never to look back.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 05:02:34 AM »

Show them you have no fear and have nothing to hide:  show up nude.

of course gellars tips might be better......

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 05:12:22 AM »

Ask the person if they have a job for me.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 05:21:56 AM »

"My worst trait is that I really like to push the edge of the envelope.  I want the team to be the best it can be.  I'm always looking for ways to improve, and sometimes that means a little extra work.  The way I look at it, if it makes what we do better and easier in the long run, it is time well spent."

That "Worst Trait" statement has gotten my foot in the door quite a few times.

I'll agree with gellar again with the research.  Don't get caught without an answer to "What do we do here?"  You'll really look like a dolt if you do. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 05:22:20 AM »

Ask a LOT of questions. Don't repeat anything about the company that can be easily found online or elsehwere, but ask a lot of probing questions. Not only will you find out more about the job, but you'll tend to impress the interviewer (as long as you aren't annoying).

Congrats on becoming another cog in the system.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 05:29:23 AM »

Wear a suit.  If you don't have one, get one.  Even if the office dresses casually, you'll always be remembered for your appearance, and your first impression will go a long way into getting a job.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 07:05:30 AM »

Got that right.  I work a job where I can wear jeans, a T-shirt, and tennisshoes.  Nonetheless, I was the only person to show up in a suit.  I got the job, the other people didn't.  Take that for what it is worth.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 11:42:14 AM »

And yet your dad still hired you!  :wink:

Ye Olde Farte
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 12:12:37 AM »

ARGH son of a bitch!

I totally forgot.  

I'll see what I can find for you guys.

Just Hiro will do.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 12:25:17 AM »

Find out what the union dues are and what the policy on dating coworkers is.    Seriously, my single biggest peice of advise is to practice/ rehearse the interview.  I've been through several airline interviews for pilot positions which are pure hell:  some were 8 hours each day over two days, background interview, technical interview, committee interview, HR interview, then the psych phase and simulator phase and medical fitness phase.  Plenty to flub up on and stress about.  The number one best thing I did was rehearse.  Write down a list of possible questions, and have someone ask away, keeping it as authentic as possible.  It will do wonders.  Good luck!  And welcome to the rat race!

Kermy
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 05:58:40 AM »

Yes practice! I graduated last December and currently interviewing for jobs. Best thing to do is to practice, go over potential interview questions and be ready! Know what the job description is.

Oh yes, interviewers want EXAMPLES! Don't say "Yes I'm a fast learner." Say "Yes I'm a fast learner, for example I learned how to pilot a plane in a day. *cough cough wink*"
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 01:06:52 PM »

Quote from: "Kermy"
Oh yes, interviewers want EXAMPLES! Don't say "Yes I'm a fast learner." Say "Yes I'm a fast learner, for example I learned how to pilot a plane in a day. *cough cough wink*"

"I also saved humanity from octopus-looking Sentinel droids and have a large cult that refers to me as 'The One.'  But I won't let my hobbies interfere with the job, I assure you."

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
dedewhale
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 01:42:57 PM »

I interview a lot of people and the biggest mistake young kids make just out of school is not listen. Listen to what the interviewer says and does. If they want to talk about themselves let them do that...if they ask you questions listen to the question in its entirety and then pause think about it for a brief second and respond to the question and think about why they asked that question and anticipate the direction the interviewer wants your answer to go.

Answer honestly, be humble yet confident and appear eager to learn and wanting to grow and do quality work!
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 03:17:18 PM »

As someone who probably does at least an interview a week (I interview every programmer and producer we bring in), I can give you a couple tips.

Be excited about the position and be ready to talk yourself up.  If someone comes in here and seems down on the industry in general I write them off immediately.  Be open about accepting responsibilities that you might not have anticipated, and emphasize your desire to work as part of a team.  I agree with what everyone else said about research.  If someone comes in here and hasn't played Morrowind and doesn't know a damn thing about Oblivion then they don't stand a chance.  (One guy we interviewed was like "Oh yeah, you guys made that Morrowind Scrolls game, right?  Is Oblivion going to be online like that one?").

Also, make sure you bring a short list of questions about the position and/or the company, either in your head or written down if necessary.  This again goes to being excited about the position.  If someone isn't curious about how the company works, I assume they're just looking for a paycheck.  Good questions include things like "What kind of quality review processes would my work go through?" and "What's a typical day like at this company?"

Understand that if you're in for an interview, they've already gone over your resume and assume that you're qualified from an experience and knowledge standpoint, so you're there to sell your personality and your team-playing abilities.  Good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: