http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 04:37:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hasbro to release 'classic' Transformers  (Read 1389 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 31, 2006, 06:58:43 AM »

Well..they are modified (in Megatron's case, drastically) but there ya go!

http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/default.cfm?page=news&newsid=70BEDAAE-D56F-E112-412B14A6033C14A1

Rodimus still sucks.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 07:35:14 AM »

What is with Nerfatron?

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 08:18:18 AM »

Those suck.

Didn't they just do a G1 re-release not too long ago? I remember seeing the original decepticon jets at TRU for like 30.00 a piece.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 10:13:57 AM »

The only ones that look like the originals are Starscream and Rodimus.  And since Rodimus still sucks, that makes Starscream the only one remotely worth buying.

P.S. - After a second look, they've COMPLETELY FUCKING REMOVED the TRAIN from Astrotrain!  That's worse than Beastwars.  And Gobots.  Combined.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 01:07:03 PM »

Ya cant beat the originals ever. Beast Wars was very cool looking though the way they made it with computers.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 02:21:07 PM »

I'm annoyed that they won't release Megatron in the 'true' original form.   *sigh*  I don't mind Optimus too much, as the changes seem to be cosmetic and the linkages are the same or similar.  Rodimus is virtually unchanged in those pictures, though I don't completely understand the 'hate'...

And was Starcream an f-15?  I'd buy Astrotrain as long as he is still a triple-changer. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 02:55:47 PM »

I think they look fucking terrible. Nerfatron indeed.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 03:16:45 PM »

while i think Starscream and Rodimus look really good, and Optimus is tolerable, they've screwed Megatron and Astrotrain up beyond belief.  there's no reason to remake Astrotrain if he's not going to be a triple-changer anymore.

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Ya cant beat the originals ever. Beast Wars was very cool looking though the way they made it with computers.

actually, if you ever have the time to watch the entire Beast Wars series, it's a great show.  the overall storyline is really interesting and there are some pretty cool tie-ins to the original series once you get into the later parts of season two and season three.  the Beast Machines series was an interesting continuation as well, but it wasn't without its problems.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 05:39:59 PM »

Ugh, I wish they'd quit with these remakes and give more characters the 20th anniversary style treatment:

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 06:19:15 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
Those suck.

Didn't they just do a G1 re-release not too long ago? I remember seeing the original decepticon jets at TRU for like 30.00 a piece.

Yes.  I bought most of them too.  Optimus was RARE as hell, too.  Apparently each store got 4 of him, and that's it.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 07:33:59 PM »

i have both the G1 reissue and the 20th anniversary Optimus sitting on a shelf right behind my desk right now.  the 20th anniversary Prime is awesome...best Transformer ever made Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 08:01:51 PM »

What's the G1 reissue?
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 08:15:53 PM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"
What's the G1 reissue?

i was referring to the re-released G1 (Generation One) Optimus...the original toy that was reissued a few years ago.  over the last couple years, Hasbro has gradually been doing reissues of some of the original toys only at Toys'R'Us that are almost identical to the ones you could get 20 years ago. the packages are labeled as "Commemorative Series" and are pretty similar in appearance to the originals.  they're a great little bit of nostalgia and nice for collectors.  unfortunately, they decided to make them overpriced and the best ones were only available in limited quantities.  like pr0ner said, Optimus was very difficult to find and disappeared from shelves quickly even at a price of $40.  

i haven't bothered to keep up with the reissues, but i have been picking up all the Alternators series as they're released.  i'm only missing Rollbar, Ricochet, Swerve, Mirage, and Optimus right now.  most of those haven't been available for very long and are hard to find.  i just wish they'd do more new vehicles and fewer repaints...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 09:09:59 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
Ugh, I wish they'd quit with these remakes and give more characters the 20th anniversary style treatment:

Feast your eyes on Masterpiece Starscream:

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 03:53:25 AM »

I'd buy a Megatron if it were the original version.  Or a Shockwave due to warm childhood memories.

Starscream looks good.  Rodimus, I never liked, and removing the "train" from Astrotrain sucks.  And sorry, but that Optimus Prime is awful.

I will buy a Starscream if I ever find myself at Toys R Us.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 12:10:08 AM »

Astrotrain still turns into a train (as well as a space shuttle), check the link in the first post.  it looks less than cool, but that functionality is still there.  i'm still wondering why they picked that one to re-release...
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 02:28:29 AM »

I wish I had money to spend on cool toys... Many a time did I pick up the G1 collectibles, but I knew I had to eat and pay bills first..

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 05:17:13 AM »

Quote from: "hitbyambulance"
Astrotrain still turns into a train (as well as a space shuttle), check the link in the first post.  it looks less than cool, but that functionality is still there.  i'm still wondering why they picked that one to re-release...

The site at the link has changed.  Originally, the picture for Astrotrain showed only the shuttle and the robot.  And for the record, I purposefully looked for those tell-tale "Oh, that bit there is obviously the trains (insert part here)" on both the shuttle and the robot.  Granted, I wasn't thinking bullet-train, but still.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 05:51:43 AM »

Maybe they are reading GT.....

:shock:

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 06:03:17 AM »

I like the Optimus Prime, Rodimus and Starscream figures. I think they all look pretty cool.

But what's up with Rodimus turning into a sports car? He turned into a sports car when he was Hot Rod. Once he became Rodimus, he turned into... umm, that car that wasn't as cool as a sports car.

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 08:21:11 AM »

i've not seen the Alternators before...  Tracks was one of my favorite Autobots, so i'm tempted to get that one... and Wheeljack was my first ever Transformer, but the reissue is weird.  and what's up with the Grimlock/Ravage/Shockwave rejiggerations??  and Optimus Prime as a pickup truck?  i'm not OK with this.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 05:50:16 PM »

Quote from: "hitbyambulance"
i've not seen the Alternators before...  Tracks was one of my favorite Autobots, so i'm tempted to get that one... and Wheeljack was my first ever Transformer, but the reissue is weird.  and what's up with the Grimlock/Ravage/Shockwave rejiggerations??  and Optimus Prime as a pickup truck?  i'm not OK with this.

The key to the Alternators line is that they are all based on licensed cars (& a truck.)  

Personally, I consider the masterpiece Prime to be the Alternator Prime.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2006, 05:57:49 PM »

Quote from: "Fireball1244"
I like the Optimus Prime, Rodimus and Starscream figures. I think they all look pretty cool.

But what's up with Rodimus turning into a sports car? He turned into a sports car when he was Hot Rod. Once he became Rodimus, he turned into... umm, that car that wasn't as cool as a sports car.

IIRC, it was a fucking Winnebago.

Just Hiro will do.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 09:33:34 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
Quote from: "Fireball1244"

IIRC, it was a fucking Winnebago.

not a Winnebago...just a sporty truck with a trailer...that looks kinda like a Winnebago slywink

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2006, 05:39:07 AM »

Quote from: "ATB"

Yeah, I picked up a few on Amazon for about $15 each. They appear to have been discontinued, though, which is a shame. They were nice childhood flashbacks.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: