http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 07:22:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: has this Remake been mentioned yet?..Total Recall  (Read 4276 times)
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 02:17:13 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on June 28, 2012, 02:11:28 PM

New trailer that actually looks quite good.

http://youtu.be/MLAvdQF7Ypo

Yeah. I'll be watching this in the theater
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 02:29:03 PM »

I saw Total Recall in theaters when it released and didn't think much of it. For me, Robocop remains Verhoeven's best Hollywood film (maybe the best distilling of his abilities to inject humor, heart and violence in the same movie). I think this remake might actually be a chance to improve on something that wasn't all that great to begin with.

OTOH, the casting seems like something out of Robert Altman's The Player...
Colin Farrell!
Kate Beckinsale!! (director Wiseman's wife so you know she's required to be in it)
Jessica Biel!!!

What the hell? Why isn't Nicholas Cage or Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in this too? Maybe Bruce Willis?  icon_razz If you're gonna stunt-cast, might as well go all-out.

I think I would've preferred lesser-knowns in the roles. To some extent, all those folks (Farrell, Beckinsale, Biel) are people everybody knows and thus brings baggage to the theater to (i.e., you say "It's Jessica Biel!" rather than get into the character), but they aren't box office draws per se. Witness Farrell in Fright Night which by most accounts was well made, but nobody went to see it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 02:33:00 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2012, 04:30:42 PM »

I'm sick of trailers just showing the whole damn movie.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2012, 05:05:44 PM »

I guess it does look good, but I feel like I've just watched the whole movie.  Now get your ass to Mars!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2012, 06:11:29 PM »

Hey, Richter! See you at dah-pahty!!

Triple-breasted whore in the latest trailer.

This is not a remake of the original. It's the same plot, just different actors.

"I give good wife."

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2012, 06:42:10 PM »

Actually, I think the plot is going to be quite different.  They are supposedly basing it more on the book in which case we will not be visiting Mars.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2012, 07:04:49 PM »

Ok. So besides a setting change, the characters (including key scenes) are strikingly similar.

Don't get me wrong, I will watch this movie.

I just might not be doing so in the theatre.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2012, 07:10:35 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on June 28, 2012, 02:17:13 PM

Quote from: farley2k on June 28, 2012, 02:11:28 PM

New trailer that actually looks quite good.

http://youtu.be/MLAvdQF7Ypo

Yeah. I'll be watching this in the theater

This.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2012, 07:12:25 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 28, 2012, 05:05:44 PM

I guess it does look good, but I feel like I've just watched the whole movie.  Now get your ass to Mars!

I'm hoping the Biel-Beckinsale cat fight is fleshed out a bit more unibrow

Because I can,
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2012, 01:40:17 AM »

I've got high hopes for the Total Recall catfight..

"There is a really good fight between them, very beautifully choreographed and very aggressive," Colin tells ET Canada. "There will be fanboys all over the world getting rather uncomfortable if they go see the film with their girlfriends during that fight."

http://www.etonline.com/movies/113382_Colin_Farrell_Rates_Biel_Beckinsale_s_Killer_Catfight/index.html

That means hepcat better leave his 'girlfriend' at home.. not that it's anyone here or directly above this post or anything.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2012, 11:38:27 AM »

Seems like there are some potential spoilers in that trailer. But at least now I know there will be a return of a woman with three boobs!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2012, 02:37:38 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on June 29, 2012, 11:38:27 AM

Seems like there are some potential spoilers in that trailer. But at least now I know there will be a return of a woman with three boobs!

yep, you can rest easy now  Tongue

Because I can,
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2012, 01:29:41 AM »

Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel are knockouts in more ways than one.

In the July/August issue of Maxim, cover girls Beckinsale, 38, and Biel, 30, dish on their highly anticipated girl-on-girl fight scene in Total Recall (in theaters August 3). "Kate and I laughed about that one a lot. We never get to fight women in our movies, so we never had hair to deal with," Biel recalls. "I'd fake-punch her, her hair would go flying and get caught in my button, and I'd be stuck to her head."

Though she's no stranger to action movies, Underworld star Beckinsale was concerned about accidentally injuring Justin Timberlake's fiancee. "When it came to the actual hour of it, I was like, 'Oh, my God, am I gonna be the person who breaks Jessica Biel's nose?' I've only really fought with stuntmen and hairy werewolves before."

According to the film's resident badass, Colin Farrell, 36, "there wasn't a f-ckin' thing that looked girly" about the fight between Beckinsale and Biel. "It was like a kung fu master class."

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/kate-beckinsale-worried-shed-break-jessica-biels-nose-in-total-recall--201267

Kate Beckinsale looks amazing for someone pushing 40.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2012, 01:33:17 AM »

Colin Farrell with his derp face:

thankfully that's the international poster so we won't have to look at it in the States biggrin

needless to say, there is a much better one they should have used:

Spoiler for potentially NSFW:

[edit] almost forgot, here's a clip the showed at Comic-Con.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 01:41:21 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2012, 12:38:38 PM »

"Is it Real Is It Recall"

seems this version is focusing on whether what happens is real or not while the original was only hinted at at the end,and you got that 'oh yeah' look as the credits ran,and it was something you kept on thinking about way after the movie had finished,whereas this time,i am not sure whether i will care enough giving me the 'brain teaser' from the get go...it needs a new mindfuck in the movie,to get the same after movie response IMO

Is it just me or do Biel and Beckinsale look very similar on that Maxim Cover,one has a fringe one doesn't but their facial features are pretty much identical,the nose and mouth especially

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2012, 02:02:28 PM »

It's the blank stare.  I actually wasn't clear I could tell the difference in the trailer, let alone the cover.

Here's an out of left field what if:  There are a lot of references to the old film in the trailer already.  What if they're peppered throughout the movie i what seems to be an homage, but then we find out that the Original was one of his favorite movies, and his brain has been dropping the references?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2012, 02:51:17 PM »

Well it getting pretty poor reviews.  Only 15% on Rottentomatoes so far.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2012, 03:16:05 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 13, 2012, 12:38:38 PM

"Is it Real Is It Recall"

seems this version is focusing on whether what happens is real or not while the original was only hinted at at the end,and you got that 'oh yeah' look as the credits ran,and it was something you kept on thinking about way after the movie had finished,whereas this time,i am not sure whether i will care enough giving me the 'brain teaser' from the get go...it needs a new mindfuck in the movie,to get the same after movie response IMO

Is it just me or do Biel and Beckinsale look very similar on that Maxim Cover,one has a fringe one doesn't but their facial features are pretty much identical,the nose and mouth especially

What? There is really no reason to believe that anything that happened in Total Recall of old was anything but real - or do I have to watch it a 4th time for something I missed?

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2012, 03:16:31 PM »

If you think those two women look the same on that cover, you might be blind.  You also probably think all black people look the same, and every animal of the same type is all identical.  ninja
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2012, 03:27:16 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 02, 2012, 03:16:31 PM

If you think those two women look the same on that cover, you might be blind.  You also probably think all black people look the same, and every animal of the same type is all identical.  ninja

There's one thing they both do look like: good!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2012, 04:23:06 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 02, 2012, 03:16:05 PM

What? There is really no reason to believe that anything that happened in Total Recall of old was anything but real - or do I have to watch it a 4th time for something I missed?

Oh, nothing important. You just missed the entire point of the movie, that's all.

When Quaid visits Rekall he describes a very specific scenario he wants to experience, and then suddenly that exact scenario occurs from the very moment when the procedure is supposed to be complete. It's done in such a way that he has no reason not to believe that it's true, which is what Rekall advertises. At the end you're supposed to ask yourself: Was the entire thing a constructed fantasy at Rekall based on Quaid's dreams (which he described to them), or did he have supressed memories from his secret past that Rekall's equipment couldn't deal with, triggering the entire chain of events described in the movie? Either answer is just as acceptable as the other.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2012, 04:29:46 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 02, 2012, 04:23:06 PM

Quote from: Razgon on August 02, 2012, 03:16:05 PM

Oh, nothing important. You just missed the entire point of the movie, that's all.

When Quaid visits Rekall he describes a very specific scenario he wants to experience, and then suddenly that exact scenario occurs from the very moment when the procedure is supposed to be complete. It's done in such a way that he has no reason not to believe that it's true, which is what Rekall advertises. At the end you're supposed to ask yourself: Was the entire thing a constructed fantasy at Rekall based on Quaid's dreams (which he described to them), or did he have supressed memories from his secret past that Rekall's equipment couldn't deal with, triggering the entire chain of events described in the movie? Either answer is just as acceptable as the other.

oh get off your high horse - Of course I know about that.

Its just pretty much a given that its all real towards the end of the movie. The movie is only ambiguous in its first half or so - then it becomes pretty clear that its real.

edit: I'm also guessing you havent heard the DVD commentaries with Arnold Schwarznegger and Verhoeven talking about their plans for a sequel where Quad was in charge of a company on mars using martian physics to combat crime before it happens - Not really possible without it all being real.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 04:37:24 PM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2012, 04:36:42 PM »

icon_confused

The movie ends with "what if it was all a dream?"
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2012, 04:37:52 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 02, 2012, 04:36:42 PM

icon_confused

again - Listen to the dvd commentary...

A new one
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2012, 04:38:50 PM »

I don't consider DVD commentaries to be part of movie plots.  And it's not really an "again - " moment if you wrote the "again" part after I wrote my comment.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2012, 04:43:16 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 02, 2012, 04:37:52 PM

icon_confused

What does that have to do with the content of the movie?
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2012, 04:45:15 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 02, 2012, 04:38:50 PM

I don't consider DVD commentaries to be part of movie plots.  And it's not really an "again - " moment if you wrote the "again" part after I wrote my comment.

Yeah, I don't have the DVD so I don't have access to the commentaries. So I too was left to ponder whether it was real or recall.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2012, 04:46:54 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 02, 2012, 04:43:16 PM

Quote from: Razgon on August 02, 2012, 04:37:52 PM

icon_confused

What does that have to do with the content of the movie?

Oh, only the entire intent of the director and the lead actor, I guess.

A new one
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2012, 04:58:44 PM »

You're embarrassing yourself.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2012, 05:01:06 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 02, 2012, 04:58:44 PM

You're embarrassing yourself.

Not really - neither of you has any counterpoints, but then again, who cares.

This is the internet after all :-)

A new one
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »

"What?  It might not have been real?  Did I miss something?"

No sweat.  Either interpretation has its fans, so not a big deal if you missed the hints at there being an alternate interpretation.

"There is absolutely no ambiguity.  The movie makes it crystal clear that it wasn't a dream."

Now you've done the equivalent of arguing that Star Wars was not set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.  The more you dig your heels in, the more ridiculous you look.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2012, 05:48:10 PM »

Edit: You know what, I'll make one try since I'm wrong.

I've seen the movie quite a few times, I guess that the reason that there never was any ambiguity in it towards the end in my mind, was the fact that I'd listened to the DVD commentary talking about the sequel they planned, thus, making it real.

When MO said something about it being real or not, I thought that there was something I'd missed somehow that changed everything.

Now - You are absolutely correct that there probably isnt' anything in the movie that clearly says so one way or another - I was just set in my mind that it was all real due the commentary.

Actually - my apologies to you both...you are correct in what you said, and I am wrong.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 05:55:20 PM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2012, 06:37:58 PM »

In a lot of ways it really doesn't matter what the intent or belief of the people making the movie is, its what the audience experiences that matters.  One of the best things about the original Total Recall IMHO was the uncertain nature of whether what we had just seen was real or his new memories.  I don't see how you can think otherwise in the context of the film when you see him describe the love interest he wants and the picture that comes up on the screen is exactly the woman he later meets.   

But the same issue can be argued with Blade Runner.  Ridley Scott certainly wanted the audience to come away thinking that Decker was actually an android, but the beauty of the film is that while thats hinted its never outright proven or stated.  And if you listen to the commentaries for that film you realize that Scott's view was not universally held by the rest of the key people involved.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2012, 06:42:34 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on August 02, 2012, 02:51:17 PM

Well it getting pretty poor reviews.  Only 15% on Rottentomatoes so far.

The review I read today was pretty damning.  They compared it to the Matrix sequels, called it "soulless," and noted that the drop from the original's R rating to PG13 this time means that the violence is toned down and cartoonish in comparison.

Sounds like a rental.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2012, 06:53:53 PM »

Damn, that's a shame.  I was even thinking about taking a long work lunch tomorrow to see it.  I only needed it to be half-competent to be able to enjoy it.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2012, 07:42:24 PM »

Too bad, I was really hoping this would be good.  Although I was very disappointed they gave away so much in the trailers.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2012, 07:59:43 PM »

I thought Total Recall was real, not a dream  paranoid
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2012, 08:23:15 PM »

There are lots of 'is he isn't he'

Things like When Quaid freaks out and shouts 'you blew my cover' and putting Quaid in a Taxi after he is given a sedative would be a bit weird if its a manufactured Rekall experience,as its not showing Rekall in a good light,even his Wife(Sharon Stone)continuingly slagging Rekall off calling them brain butchers etc...but the stuff he chooses,Deep Cover Spy,Blue Sky on Mars and even the picture of Melina on the screen at Rekall would suggest it is a dream

I am a bit pissed off that Arnie and Vernhoven have come out and said its a dream in the commentary if what Raz says is true...way to keep the debate going you dumbasses

Has anybody read the Philip K Dick book,is it similar to the movie or is it like BladeRunner being very different,and does the book have a twist at the end or is it straight cut?(being Philip K Dick it wouldn't surprise me if the mindfuck was at the end)

Okay i think i might watch this tonight  Tongue (original i mean)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2012, 10:28:29 PM »

Up to 27% now... I might still go see it.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2012, 03:58:43 AM »

We Can Remember It For You Wholesale is available in public domain and the short story is truly a short story.  Easily finishable in about 30 minutes.  That link is not a very good PDF, but it works.  Just take the 30 minutes and form your own opinion.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: