http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 05:41:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has no one posted a "2009 really sucked" thread yet?  (Read 1197 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2010, 03:09:41 PM »

Well, most of my 2009 did, and I've gone missing from not only gaming (I know!), but from GT as well, for 4 or 5 months.  I have had a very, very bad 6 months, but I'm not looking for sympathy;  rather, I'd like to give you all an outlet to vent your 2009 angst.

No "I'm so sorry for your loss" or "OMG that really sux"- for me, at least, since I'm not telling you anything yet.  Just give us the details, the bad, the worse, and the worst of your 2009.  I would start, but I think I may have had the worst year ever.  That said, try and "beat" me!

frown

Oh, and btw... I'm baaaack!

nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 03:24:26 PM »

Odd years have typically been the bad ones. All in all 2009 was pretty solid.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 03:43:38 PM »

2009 was fairly unremarkable either way for me. 2010 started off really poorly in that we are having our house sold out from under us.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 03:49:04 PM »

2009 started off with me having like 4 days off in the months of January and February.  in 2010 this is the first day I've had to be at work so I'd say it's had a leg up so far.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 03:49:14 PM »

2009 was fairly uneventful in my personal world as well. Had some family drama with a step-daughter getting seriously injured in a slip-and-fall accident that's not healing quite as well as hoped and the passing of my elderly mother-in-law. 2010 is starting off unemployed for me but thankfully there look to be opportunities on the horizon.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 03:58:07 PM »

I've bitched about this already, but here goes.  My 2009 was great...up until the last 3 weeks when I had to replace my furnace, do major repair work on both cars, got hit with the worst case of the flu I've ever had, developed an abscessed tooth that will require a re-root canal, and Mrs. Gratch lost her part time job.  Guess I saved the worst for last.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 04:20:50 PM »

Welcome back, Myto (so sorry for your loss, that really sux, I think)!

2009 was okay, but it capped off a roller coaster of a decade.

Got an amazing gig at the start!  Bought a house!   Ice dams in the house!  Discovered oil tank has been leaking for years!  Expensive EPA clean up that will take more years to complete!  Find out about lifelong, unfixable heart condition!  But it's manageable!  Had a child!  Lost amazing gig!  Had numerous carrots dangled for other gigs!  None pan out!  Wife goes back to work!  Became stay-at-home dad!  Stay stay-at-home dad!  Still stay-at-home dad!

That's just some of it.  At least the kid is pretty damned awesome.

The decade could have wrapped with some horrible stuff.  My dad underwent quintuple bipass surgery.  The docs are staggered that he didn't have a coronary before going in.  Even more staggering is his recovery.  He was allowed to go home in just a couple of days and is nearly fully mobile.  He was in terrible shape prior to surgery, but his recovery has been unbelievable, I'm told. 

I'm taking that as a sign that the next decade could be good.  Assuming the world doesn't blow up in two years.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 04:34:12 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 04, 2010, 04:20:50 PM

Ice dams in the house!

?!?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 04:36:25 PM »

Assuming the world doesn't blow up in two years.

it's actually just less than 3 years, stop shorting yourself! Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 04:49:55 PM »

Great year for me, here's to hoping 2010 is just as good.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 05:13:34 PM »

My daughter was born in 2009, so I can't complain too much.  Though she complains a lot...and loudly...

#%#$!! colic.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 05:15:15 PM »

2009 was a mediocre to poor year for me.

- Changed jobs, and while the new one has been better, it's still not really enjoyable to me. Might need to find a new field.
- Considerably less travel than 2008. 2008 I went on numerous trips. 2009 I went on one (it was a good one, but I wanted to do much more travelling).
- Several starts and stops with relationships. Nothing lasted longer than 2 months. All were enjoyable while they lasted, and one was really disappointing in not being able to last longer (damn longer distances!). The city I live in is a complete wasteland for dating, so I'm now dating in neighboring cities (ie 1hr drives).
- One of my closest friends and coworkers up and moved 3 hours away in the final weeks of the year.
- Got a good raise and lots of overtime opportunity, as well as pretty good recognition of the work done. Can't complain there.
- Bought a new car. Love it!

I'm hoping 2010 will be a better year, but I think for that to happen I'll probably have to move. Something I'd prefer not to do, and I might just do the 'travel until your money runs out' thing instead. And that could probably last a full year or two depending on how well I budget...
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 05:48:06 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 04, 2010, 04:34:12 PM

Ice dams in the house!

?!?

I guess, technically, the ice dams were outside the house, but the damage was in.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 06:11:27 PM »

I can't even go into it without getting upset. 2009 was monumentally "teh suxx0rz" for me.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 06:21:44 PM »

I'm not sure that I can say that 2009 sucked as a whole, but it certainly contained both good and bad events.

Good events included major improvements in my pool game and two productive league sessions, a complete renovation of the first floor of our house, losing 30 pounds and getting back into the best shape I've been in for quite some time, and meeting some great new friends.

Bad events included Jaime's 150-gallon saltwater aquarium breaking and flooding the first floor of our house (which led to the renovations mentioned above), losing my job for the first time ever in my career of employment, continuing to struggle to find another job, and bouts of depression associated with the stress and anxiety associated with financial challenges, family problems, job woes, etc.

I don't necessarily feel any level of relief with 2009 being behind us as the only change is having to remember to write "2010" instead of "2009" whenever dating a document.  Otherwise little has changed, and as 2010 began with a fierce disagreement with my mother-in-law that resulted in me packing my things, tersely thanking the in-laws for their hospitality but potentially never taking them up on it again in the future, leaving on my own, and then meeting up with my wife at the airport the following day, it is tough to say how 2010 may pan out.  Fortunately a bad beginning doesn't necessarily guarantee a bad year.  If I am able to excell at my college courses, if we can continue to make ends meet financially, and if I can keep from falling into my periodic ruts of depression by maintaining a gym regiment, keeping from avoiding friends and trying to stay active, and being conscious of my emotional lows and working to fight them off by forcing myself to keep going to the gym, keep playing pool, and keep spending time with friends as these are all effective remedies, then 2010 will be another managable year, but certainly far tougher than 2009.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 07:04:35 PM »

yup,2009 was a pretty bad year,having been unemployed since February...2010,is only a few days old,but its already looking much better(call back from Adidas and an opening at an place where i used to work before last job may be on the horizon)

2009,was bad for me,but i know it could of been a lot worse...i played the living hell out of my 360...i love my xbox

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 07:13:42 PM »

I had a pretty great 2009
-the girl I'd been trying to win over for 1.5 is now my live in gf
-we went to Disneyland in April
-got a new 50 inch tv
-job is going well and I will most likely be getting a promotion soon, which I suppose counts for 2010
-I joined a softball league and a flag football league
-my 360 didn't red ring at all in 2009
-my brother got married
-my family is healthy and everyone just seems to be doing great right now.

I feel I'm in the best spot I've been in since 2006 or so.  I've probably just cursed it all and will wake up tomorrow to an apartment fire, break up and job termination.  Knock on wood.

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 09:53:08 PM »

I'm glad that 2009 is gone. It was a very challenging year. I worked my ass off at work trying to get myself noticed and eventually get a raise. I've gotten the promotions, but I haven't had the monetary increase that is supposed to go with them. I threw myself into a "hopeless" project, and managed to finish it on time and on budget. So what happened? I got laid off. Granted, I was hired back a week later like nothing happened, and I was paid for that week...but still.

On top of that my gf lost her job in June, just 2 weeks after we signed a lease and moved into our new apartment together. It was supposed to be a place where we could start saving a bunch of money, and instead I'm still falling further and further into debt. The job market is so bad that she didn't even get an interview for 3 months. The past six months we've been broke, and she's been depressed because she's home all the time and can't find a job.

Thankfully, 2010 is already looking better. She got a job as a substitute teacher, with her first day being January 7th. It wont be much more money that the unemployment she is collecting, but it's better than nothing.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »

2009 wasn't horrible, but certainly could've been better. On the upside, no one died (see 2008 for that). But, in 2009 I
  • Closed the family business.
  • Became unemployed (see above).
  • Continued being unemployed (since end of Feb).
  • Remain unemployed.

Conversely, many good things happened, including
  • Going to Orlando, FL, for a Make a Wish trip. Nothing beats going to the front of every line!
  • Spending tons of time with family (being unemployed will do that to you).
  • Discovering and developing a passion for photography. Who knew?
  • Reading a lot of books
  • Everyone staying relatively healthy.
  • Support (emotionally and financially) from friends old and new.

So, not all bad. We have friends with disintegrating marriages, friends with spouses going to jail, stuff like that. When my biggest issue is being unemployed, well, I'll take it over what they have any day.

GO 2010!

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 10:52:50 PM »

2009 was one of the best years of my life. Started a new job that I love and my daughter was born. On top of that had a really nice Christmas/New Year.

Sorry to hear others who had sucky years - we've all been there. 2007/08 were those years for me - lost a really good friend in a motorcycle accident, my wife had a miscarriage, and my job went down the toilet. Just goes to show you that there's always hope, and that out of tragedy can come really positive times.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:54:29 PM by YellowKing » Logged
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 11:19:37 PM »

2009 was an okay year, but the spectre of 2010 not being as decent hangs over it....business is still down and things don't look much better in the near future...but, as they say, my family and I have our health..... nod
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 12:39:53 AM »

I've been missing you lately Myto! Welcome back.

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 01:07:45 AM »

2009 was really good to me.  The only thing I wanted to do that didn't happen was travel outside the country.  I had the money set aside but I had wanted to go early in the fall.  Starting a new job in late July kinda put the kibosh on that smile  I'll definitely be getting out for a bit this year though.  A really good friend of mine is taking a job in Cairo for a year, so I've got a place to stay and a tour guide in Egypt whenever I want to go thumbsup
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 01:25:24 AM »

[rant]
Accidentally graduated college when I passed the Java Associates certification in Feb! Looked forward to finding a job in the worst market in years! Had mortgage paid off September previous, "hey Honey, what happened to the extra money, now that we don't have a mortgage?""We're putting it into #1 son's college fund to reduce his debt!" (wtf!) "Um, ok honey, I guess you know what you're doing." * "BTW, Iwannanewhouse,Iwannanewhouse,Iwannanewhouse,
Iwannanewhouse,Iwannanewhouse,Iwannanewhouse,
Iwannanewhouse,Iwannanewhouse,Iwannanewhouse,"

"Ok, we'll get a new house. Are you going to help me pack?"

"No."

"Are you going to help me fix up the old house?"

"No."

"Well, what are you going to do?"

"Sit on my ass all summer on Ancestry.com and research my relatives."

saywhat

Meanwhile, #1 son screws the pooch at college (18k per semester). Gets kicked out. Begs to be let back.

Take bath on old house because I spend all my time packing and moving with little to no help, instead of repairs.

New house turns into even bigger pos as I find more things that slipped past the home inspector. Replacing roof results in entirely new decking. $$$$$$$$

Blind m-i-l accidentally drinks laundry detergent, refuses to think of entering a home, continues to be a drag and worry for my wife and I.

New location results in traffic waking me up @3:30 in summer, 4:30 in winter.
Try to explain to wife how unhappy I am in house, she likes house better than me. Drops "D" word to show me who's boss.

Stunned when I suggest that might be a viable solution( unlike all the other times when I would roll over and show soft white underbelly).

* After second chance at the only college he wanted to go to, #1 son brings back a .93 GPA, bringing his college career to an inglorious end. Extra money that could have been going into repairs, down payment for new house, reducing MY college debt or crack 'n' hookers for Daddy, vanishes into University's coffers.

And to cap it all off, I have very strong feelings for a friend/co-worker whom I've known for ever, has almost identical tastes in everything that I do, and actually likes me for who I am and not what I can do for her. mad
[/rant]

Bright side, no one I care about has died, although the past month has been brutal for my co-workers, who have lost fathers, mothers and husbands.  icon_cry

That enough of a whine festival for ya bud? icon_frown
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 01:30:18 AM by Default » Logged
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 02:50:42 AM »

2009 got off to a bad start when my wife's job went down with the journalism/publishing industry. It wasn't an especially good job but it was our primary income and, more importantly, the source of our health insurance. She's had no interviews since that happened in February. She has worked for 30 years in an industry that's never going to come back, and that doesn't leave one a very bright future at our age.

At the same time the sour economy cut my business's planned growth rate in half. The paycheck that it generates is inadequate, so Curio City has to grow rapidly if it's to be a valid alternative to bagging groceries. It was one thing to nurture it along while a real job covered the bills...quite a different proposition when the real job is gone.  

Everything else that afflicted us in 2009 flowed from losing 75% of our income and our insurance. Well, not quite everything: we had our most miserable June weather in over 100 years, which made my vegetable garden the worst I've ever tended.

On the plus side, my business did still grow by 13% last year, which isn't too shabby for the Great Recession. Unemployment benefits in MA are the best in the US and the government's picking up most of our health care costs (for now). So many magazines have laid off their staffs that freelance writing and editing have been fairly steady for my wife. She's also made a little money teaching college part-time, and that could eventually lead to a career if we can figure out how to live until "eventually." All of that cobbled together got us through the year without tapping into resources or even cutting all luxuries. Our 11-year-old car passed 140,000 miles without crapping out on us. Our house did not deteriorate any faster than normal. We're both healthy. We had a really enjoyable vacation in July. Nobody of consequence died. (edited to add) And we are still "we". Even though we are both home 90% of the time we have not turned on one another, or at least haven't drawn blood. Enough's post makes me grateful to have an ally, not an antagonist.

We've either got to find some way back into the workforce or figure out how to live in a post-job economy by the time the government cuts us loose in August. How that turns out will write the story of 2010.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 02:59:23 AM by Ironrod » Logged

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 03:02:32 AM »

2009 was great for me. Started a new job which provide stable income. Met my girlfriend. Met my girlfriend's niece which is now like a daughter to me.

Finally got a stable internet connection at home.

The only bad thing is that I don't have much time to play computer games in 2009 because of my new job and girlfriend.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 03:46:47 AM »

All told, 2009 was a positive year:

- After three years of failed fertility treatments, we finally had our first child, who is an utter delight
- Despite a 20% reduction in staff at work, I managed to retain my job
- Celebrated six years of being cancer-free
- We seem to be doing OK financially despite the loss of my wife's income

A few negatives:

- Had to make a couple of costly purchases due to appliances failing *far* too soon and the companies not standing behind their products.
- While I retained my job, I was reassigned to an department that I utterly despise.
- My last surviving grandparent died on New Year's Eve.

Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 04:04:40 AM »

BTW, if you had a great year, post it in the omgwtfbbqihaddagreatyear thread, plzkthnx! icon_wink
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 05:31:36 AM »

2008 & 2009 was one of worst year for me,

-Lost the house in bad economy plus boss scamming me at my last job

-No job and no money... doing odd jobs and selling stuffs on internet just to get by

-Lost my best friend over money.
(He borrowed the money from me and when I really needed it back last year, he told me he doesn't have any, but he went out and bought brand new LCD TV, videogames, iphone, etc. When I finally swallowed my pride and begged for at least $50 out of $1000, he laughed and told me to get a job...He is telling other friends that he still does not understand why I do not want to talk to him anymore...)

-My PS3 died and came back as retard few months later. (it's won't read discs half the time and makes clicking noise)

-Finding out that it is going to cost $3000 for my wife's toothache...and  having only $10.00 in the bank account

-Depression was getting worse and thought about bad stuff a lot

-Finishing 42 games (maybe it's positive?)

However, now in 2010:

-Have a new job, even it's in retail

-Still depressed but is getting better

I am trying to have positive outlook this year  nod
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 08:54:37 AM »

Ahh, it's good to be "home" again - I mean here, you cheeky monkeys!   nod

I know I'll leave something out, but I'll give it a quick skim anyway... lessee...

I have a pretty small family, even adding in-laws and other peripherals, but 2009 included:  3 cancer diagnoses, 1 dementia diagnosis, 1 parent death, 1 uncle death, 1 suicide attempt (no, not me, but a sibling), ummm... 6 job losses, 1 close friend death, 1 diagnosis of constant partial seizure disorder, 3 applications for Social Security Disability Insurance (all denied on first go-round), repeated spinal surgeries for one - oh, and I almost forgot - one car accident that was a matter of inches from being catastrophic. 

Despite that - and whatever else I forgot - there are still silver lining events and even funny stories.  Silver linings include our closest neighbor having their second baby, me getting a PS3 for Christmas, and... I dunno, that might be it, lol.

One of the saddest events ended up having the funniest story associated with it - you know, once you have nothing left to do but laugh.  I had to convey the news of the suicide attempt to a family member next to me, without alerting my ailing mother who was in the same car with us.  Did I have texting ability, or perhaps a pen and paper?  No - so naturally, I pulled out my DS, loaded Scribblenauts, and wrote the message out to show him, of course.   Roll Eyes

I'm glad to hear that some folks have had upturns in their lives recently; I know I'm grateful for the short break I have now.  Maybe it's time to go read that "omgwtfbbqihaddagreatyear" thread!   icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 11:47:07 AM »

My 2009 wasn't too bad.  A pretty uneventful year, so I won't complain. 

My 2010 looks like it will be more eventful.  My dad has been diagnosed with cancer...again after a remission of 20 years.  His health hasn't been to hot recently, so this won't help.
My job is ending sometime between the middle and the end of the year.  The contract is up at the end of the year, but there's talk of an early pullout sometime middle of the year.  So I'll be looking for a new job after almost 15 years.  yay.

Sometimes change brings good things, so I try not to be too pessimistic.  It should be interesting anyways.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 01:36:41 PM »

Quote from: Laner on January 05, 2010, 03:46:47 AM

- After three years of failed fertility treatments, we finally had our first child, who is an utter delight

As the father of an IVF baby, I can relate to how utterly awesome this is.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: