http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 06:14:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone's broadband connection replaced cable TV?  (Read 376 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2011, 11:01:20 AM »

I've come to the point where I use cable television for.....basically nothing. I watch, perhaps, 3-4 hours per month. Netflix streaming, torrents and an occasional Redbox movie have almost completely replaced it in my household.

The only reason I keep it around is because by broadband connection is bundled with cable, and if I dropped the television side my broadband connection rises dramatically through Comcast. When I called the Comcast rep, I was hoping for a $25-$35 dollar savings per month, but it came out to only $13.83. 

Have any of you dropped cable or Dish in favor of broadband-only usage?  Does anyone else have a cable TV remote that is basically collecting dust?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 11:12:03 AM »

When I moved into my current apartment, I went down to the lowest tier of basic cable that I could get in order to drop the price of my internet, so I basically only get the locals.  I've been perfectly happy with it.  I can watch football, which is the only sports I watch, and everything else I pretty much ignore.  If there's a show I absolutely have to see, between Hulu and other means of getting said show, I'm pretty much covered.

When I used to have cable and a DVR, there were probably a half dozen shows the ex and I would watch regularly, and it started to feel like a job to try and keep up with all of them.  There might be other things I'd rather do or watch, but we'd have to watch something off the (stupidly small Comcast) DVR before it got deleted.  Now that that's not a thing, I can watch what I want when I want, and I honestly don't feel like I'm missing anything at all. 

TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 11:14:37 AM »

We dropped cable and phone two years ago keeping only the broadband service.  Our rates went from $180/month down to $40.  It has since risen to $47 but that's still far more livable than the $180 which has probably gone up to $200 by now.

We have an OTA antenna and pull in about 25-30 channels most of which are HD.  Of course, about half of those are also in Spanish but we get the big four plus a few others.  To be honest, we rarely watch anything other than Fox and ABC anyway.

Most of our TV time is from Netflix streaming, Netflix DVD, and Hulu streaming.  

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 02:07:28 PM »

I've never paid for even basic cable.  Over-the-air HD for the major networks and other channels, broadband and Netflix for everything else.  I can't wrap my head around how much my friends are willing to pay for their cable access.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 02:29:02 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 13, 2011, 02:07:28 PM

I've never paid for even basic cable.  Over-the-air HD for the major networks and other channels, broadband and Netflix for everything else.  I can't wrap my head around how much my friends are willing to pay for their cable access.

I'm only paying for basic cable because for some reason it's cheaper to get internet if you also get basic TV.  I don't understand why, but there it is.  My plan was to have an antenna.

Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 02:48:17 PM »

Yes, I just canceled our DirecTV account.  We've been quite happy with DirecTV for the last ten years, but we just can't justify the $100 a month.  We could have dropped that down to about $50/mo with only a single TV and their barebones package, but between OTA HD channels and ESPN/Netflix/Hulu on XBox Live, I can't think of anything we'll be missing. 

XBox Live:  JNacht
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 04:13:33 PM »

I wanted to remove the TV part of our cable and they tried to charge me to downgrade the service... so I just cancelled all of it and switched to DSL (which apparently has gotten a lot faster since the last time I had it).

We just stream netflix/hulu plus via the 360 and we're pretty happy.  Hockey season might be a challenge... but we are saving so much money it's not even funny (our DSL bill is now $36/mo for another 3 months, then $50/mo.  Our cable bill was $135 and going up.)
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 05:23:54 PM »

Make sure you ask Comcast about their lowest tier package which is available in most markets.  It is basically what they advertise as their basic package but doesn't have sports channels and a few others.  I think here it is about $10 - $15 a month so there is no reason to not get it since you get the $10 discount to broadband internet for bundling it.  The next lowest package is around $40/month (Basic Xfinity??).

After football season I will most likely drop down to that since so far just about everything I want to watch is on local channels and ESPN3.  I don't have hulu or netflix so I might add one or both of those as well.  I am like a lot of others and just can't justify over $100 a month when I don't watch that much between gaming, internet surfing, DVD watching, etc.  And I am not going to play the call up ever 6 months to get a better deal game.  IF they want to keep me perhaps they should automatically give a discount to long time customers.   After 8 years, with increases at least every year it is just too much.
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 07:07:03 PM »

Quote from: kratz on September 13, 2011, 04:13:33 PM

We just stream netflix/hulu plus via the 360 and we're pretty happy.  Hockey season might be a challenge... but we are saving so much money it's not even funny (our DSL bill is now $36/mo for another 3 months, then $50/mo.  Our cable bill was $135 and going up.)

Given that we were going to have broadband internet and Netflix anyway, dropping cable is a huge savings.  We'll basically be paying $8/month to add Hulu Plus instead of $100/month for DTV.

XBox Live:  JNacht
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 11:01:27 PM »

Quote from: Boudreaux on September 13, 2011, 07:07:03 PM

Quote from: kratz on September 13, 2011, 04:13:33 PM

Given that we were going to have broadband internet and Netflix anyway, dropping cable is a huge savings.  We'll basically be paying $8/month to add Hulu Plus instead of $100/month for DTV.

Yeah, exactly.  We are saving a lot.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 11:15:11 PM »

Also dropped DirecTV recently as I couldn't justify the $100 a month for just 1 or 2 shows. I always got most of my news on the internet anyway, and for movies and shows I use a combination of Netflix, Jetflicks, Hulu, and Redbox.

Are there any other alternatives to Comcast in your area? With CenturyLink you can get an unlimited connection for around $50 a month and no need to package it with other services.

You might want to consider 4G as well. I know with Clearwire you can get unlimited internet (usually around 7mb) for $40-$45 a month and take it with you wherever you go as it's a wireless network. When I had Sprint I'd routinely get 9-10mb down on my EVO 4G whenever I visited family in Fort Lauderdale area, which is faster than my DSL through CenturyLink. (Though no complaints with centurylink either - gets the job done and is truly unlimited.)

I since transferred from Sprint to T-Mobile so can't really confirm if it still gets that speed, but it wouldn't hurt to check it out if it's available in your area and might save you a couple bucks over Comcast.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 12:01:22 AM »

I dropped cable.  When I want to watch TV I use a combination of Netflix streaming and iTunes purchases.  I figure saving $40-50 a month on cable bills lets me buy a fair amount of iTunes TV shows and still save money, plus I know can watch things on my time with no commercials.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 12:17:45 AM »

I Signed up for basic cable when I switched to Comcast last year but I only turn it on maybe once a week and usually turn it off within the hour.  I find I don't have the patience to hunt for shows I want to watch or to deal with  commercials so everything I watch is on DVD or Netflix.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: