http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 11:57:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix: The Movie vs. The Book !!SPOILERS!!  (Read 1852 times)
PaulBot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2007, 12:19:41 AM »

Hey you Potter fans: have you read the book AND seen the movie? My daughter & I went today and we were wondering what would be left out of the movie. It's rather difficult to put a 870 page book in a 2 hour movie, so something's gotta go. Here's what we came up with (items aren't in correct order):

Absent from the movie

Beginning of book when Harry is laying under the Dursley's window and listening to them watch the news on TV

No train ride to Hogwarts. This is where Harry and Ron met Luna and saw her reading the Quibbler upside-down

No Quiddich

No Dobby or Hermione making clothes for the house elves or any mention of S.P.E.W

No Centaur substitute teacher

Harry, Ron and Hermione visited Hagrid with the help of the invisibility cloak and hid under it while Umbridge was in Hagrid's house

Didn't show Harry meeting up with the Dursleys at the end of the movie and some of the Order of the Phoenix members giving the Dursleys a warning to be nice to Harry

Differences

Grawp didn't have anything to do with Umbridge's trip into the forest. She approached the Centaurs, they recognized her and hauled her off

Cho's friend gave away Dumbledore's Army

In the book Snape was told he would teach Harry Occlumency. In the movie we just see it happen. Also, during one of the sessions Malfoy barges into Snape’s office and finds him teaching Harry and he is told Harry is receiving Remedial Potions lessons

Harry learns about Snape’s hate for his father via the Pensieve, not via a spell he uses on Snape

The movie had many more Educational Decrees than the book

Dobby warned Dumbledore's Army that someone was onto them and they got out of the Room of Requirement BEFORE they were caught by Umbridge

Harry & Cho didn’t go on their Valentine date

No hospital visit after Mr. Weasley is injured. This is where Harry and friends saw Neville’s parents

In the big fight for the Prophecy Harry and friends went through a room with walls full of doors that switch positions before they got to the room full of Prophecies

I remember a spot in the book where someone used the “puter-outer” – the gizmo that turns off street lights, but it wasn’t in the movie

In the Weasley twins big departure, they didn’t ride their brooms until they were ready to leave. They used “Accio” to retrieve their brooms from Umbridge’s office, where they were being detained (along with Harrry’s broom) due to their life-long Quiddich ban

The conversation between Dumbledore and Harry at the end was much shorter in the movie. In the book Harry trashed some stuff in Dumbledore’s office and yelled at him numerous times

The movie showed an entire class of students being punished via Umbridge's special quill that made the words show up on their hands. This only happened to Harry in the book.

I'm sure we've forgotten something. Add to the list!!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 12:54:14 AM by PaulBot » Logged

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 12:33:49 AM »

Damn that's pretty comprehensive. I'll add:

- Removed subplot about Ron and Hermione becoming prefects
- Removed subplot about Percy being ostracized from the family due to his work at the Ministry
- Luna's father and the Quibbler never came into play

Very much enjoyed the film.  Not as good for me as Goblet of Fire though.  Although I prefer the OotP book more than GoF book, but I knew that much of what I loved in the book would have to be removed so I wasn't disappointed.   
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 12:39:03 AM »

the entire class being punished was definitely not occurring in the book, but I remember Harry giving some kid cream for his hand after Harry saw the kid rubbing his hand after a detention.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 12:40:13 AM »

I literally just finished The Order of the Phoenix yesterday!  I can't wait to see the movie and then I'm going to start on The Half-Blood Prince.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 12:45:30 AM »

-The killing curse was never used on Sirius Black in the book. 
-They didnt show the room in the Ministry with the brains with tentacles.

A lot of stuff was different or left out from the book but overall I enjoyed the movie.  I feel that a lot of the stuff they left out wasn't really detrimental to the story. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 12:51:19 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on July 14, 2007, 12:45:30 AM

-The killing curse was never used on Sirius Black in the book. 

I'm glad you mentioned that because I didn't remember it from the book but it's been a bit of time since the last time I read it. 

Oh yeah, someone should slap a massivie SPOILERS onto the topic title. 
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 12:58:42 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 14, 2007, 12:33:49 AM

Damn that's pretty comprehensive. I'll add:

- Removed subplot about Ron and Hermione becoming prefects
- Removed subplot about Percy being ostracized from the family due to his work at the Ministry
- Luna's father and the Quibbler never came into play

Excellent! I remember saying the one about them becoming prefects to my daughter, but forgot it when making the list. Not to mention Malfoy being one too.

I added the !!SPOILERS!! to the topic (thanks for the reminder GatorFavre)

Also: after Harry got the talking letter that he was expelled, he got one a few minutes later that he wasn't expelled but he as suspended until a hearing. They changed the contents of the second letter to the gang that sprung him from the Dursley's house talking to him.

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 01:48:22 AM »

Just got done with dinner where my daughter and I thought up some more:

The movie didn't have the magic coin that Dumbledore's Army used to alert them to the meeting times

Sirius had a portrait of his mother in his house that was yelling at people. It wasn't in the movie

Buckbeak was stowed away in one of the rooms in Black's house in the book. He wasn't mentioned in the movie

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 03:37:50 AM »

Much of the plot around Kreacher, including the appearance of what might be on for the Horcruxes is gone.
Hagrid getting the sack followed by the attack on him and McGonnagall is gone.
Harry didn't meet Dudley and his friends, just Dudley.  He waited until after his friends had left before approaching Dudley.
Almost no actual class stuff was shown other than DADA.  No Care of Magical Creatures with Thestrels, no Potions, almost none of it.
The scene with Umbridge attempting to use veritaserum on Harry is gone, instead she used it on /everyone else/.
The scene in the Hospital Ward is gone.
The scene after Sirius's death where Harry talked to Nick is gone.

It wasn't a bad movie, though...just felt disjointed due to all the cuts and changes.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 05:44:34 AM »

As I expected there was a lot cut or changed to take what would've needed to be a 4-ish hour long movie into a slightly longer than 2 hour film.

However, unlike Prisoner of Azkaban or Goblet of Fire, I felt that this film hit the mark completely with what was crucial to the story while also keeping the focus broadened onto the Hogwarts community, much like the first two films succeeded in doing. To me, the third and fourth films were the aberrations (enjoyable, but each one was missing that special something that the first two had for me), while the Order of the Phoenix felt absolutely right. I watched each of the five films in theaters on (or shortly after) release day, and while I left Azkaban feeling that it was slightly off, and left Goblet feeling very disappointed in just how much was altered or excised, I left Phoenix tonight completely satisfied.

My sense of excitement and impatience for the next movie is every bit as rich as it was after the first two films, and that's an achievement. Knowing the same director will helm the sixth movie has given me every confidence that my anticipation will be well-placed. icon_biggrin

I know not everyone will agree, but I for one would be hard-pressed to be happier with what I feel is a return of the film franchise to its strengths!

Now, just one week to go to read the conclusion to the full story. icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 02:16:15 PM »

Quote from: Farscry
I watched each of the five films in theaters on (or shortly after) release day, and while I left Azkaban feeling that it was slightly off, and left Goblet feeling very disappointed in just how much was altered or excised, I left Phoenix tonight completely satisfied.

Heh, I kind of feel the reverse.  Not that I was disappointed with Phoenix but, to me, Goblet is Harry Potter on film about as perfectly as I could imagine and remains the best of the movies for me. 
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 03:36:47 PM »

Watched it last night.  Holy shit it was boring, fell asleep for half of it.  Considering I've never read the books and only seen the 1st movie which was equally as boring, maybe that's why I didn't like it Tongue
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »

We just got back from seeing it and we genuinely loved Order. Fantastic cinema. As I've only read the first book I'm treating each film on its merits as a film and I was just knocked out by this one. I loved Azkaban as my favorite and I thought Goblet of Fire was pretty entertaining but the ending left me cold. Cedric was not a major character and when they killed him off it was brutal and harsh and they treated it correctly. But then the main three, Harry/Hermione/Ron, are walking off talking about how they'll write each other over the summer as if everything is back to normal again. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!

Then this film picks up with Harry all anguished over Cedric's death. THAT I get and understand, but not because of how they ended the fourth film. Grrr.

I loved how they brought in people like Lupin and Moody throughout the film but they needed more Lucious Malfoy (more Jason Isaacs is always a good thing in my opinion). The smackdown at the end was awesome as you saw just how completely out of his league Harry truly is. You think he can summon a fire dragon like Voldemort or kick its ass with the flick of his wrist like Dumbledore? But I dug how the rest of the schoolkids finally got the chance to actually use magic which they haven't up to this point.

Previously, we've seen a lot of build-up but then the teachers or circumstances decide that they shouldn't use genuine magic at all. The fantastic training sequence though was where a lot of strengths and weaknesses were shown for the first time. I kind of like that Neville isn't a strong sorceror but he is extrordinarily good with herbology. But of all people, how about Jenny Weasley being a powerhouse? Holy crap! It was great inthe ministry how they fought as best they good up to the point when the adults showed up and genuinely threw down with the Deatheaters.

Like I said, fantastic movie. Dolores Umbridge is a villain for the ages. Good lord was Imelda Staunton excellent as a narrow-minded beaurocrat hell-bent on attaining order through any and all measures.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 12:12:52 AM »

I saw it today and while I'm not raving about it, I thought it was quite good and entertaining.  At some point, I'd like to see a little more range from Mr. Radcliffe beyond "somber", "anger", "very angry", "sullen" and "really, really angry".  But Umbridge was played to a tee and there was some good action at the end.  Thank goodness it wasn't any longer.  It's a bridge movie to the last two books and thus slower paced.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 02:48:37 AM »

Quote from: PaulBot on July 14, 2007, 12:19:41 AM

Absent from the movie

No train ride to Hogwarts. This is where Harry and Ron met Luna and saw her reading the Quibbler upside-down

I think that one was in the movie.   I remember Luna reading it upside-down.   I also remember them sitting down in a train car and Hermione introducing her while she was reading it upside down. 

- shaggy

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 03:43:13 AM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on July 15, 2007, 02:48:37 AM

Absent from the movie

I think that one was in the movie.   I remember Luna reading it upside-down.   I also remember them sitting down in a train car and Hermione introducing her while she was reading it upside down. 

- shaggy

In the movie it was after the train and on the carriage ride to Hogwarts where they meet Luna. 
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2007, 04:22:09 AM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on July 15, 2007, 02:48:37 AM

Absent from the movie

- shaggy

Let me clarify: In the movie they skipped the train ride completely and went straight to the carriage ride that transports them from the train to Hogwarts and that's where they showed Luna reading the Quibbler upside-down. In the movie they met on the train and that's where they saw Luna reading the Quibbler upside-down.

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007, 04:27:44 AM »

More stuff: in the book Dobby told Harry about the Room of Requirement but since the movie left out the house elves (except Kreacher) they had Neville find the room.

In the book Harry used the Marauders Map to make sure the coast was clear when Dumbledore's Army was ready to leave the Room of Requirement.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 11:41:42 PM »

I saw it today and liked it alot better than I did the book.  IMO the OotP has been the weakest book in the series, so I wasn't expecting much from the movie but was pleasantly surprised.

Oh, and the girl playing Tonks is rather cute too.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 01:14:40 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 15, 2007, 11:41:42 PM

No kidding! I was bummed that she didn't get more screen time.

mirage775

More than Meets the Eye!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 01:43:50 AM »

My brother and I saw it yesterday and I've never read any of the books before.... I really need too.  Anyway, we thought the movie was ok, but have liked the pre-quels so much more, especially the last one.  I'll buy it, just to add to my collection but, may not watch it much.

Xbox LIVE: Mirage775
Steam: Mirage775
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2007, 01:46:58 AM »

Quote from: mirage775 on July 16, 2007, 01:43:50 AM

My brother and I saw it yesterday and I've never read any of the books before.... I really need too.  Anyway, we thought the movie was ok, but have liked the pre-quels so much more, especially the last one.  I'll buy it, just to add to my collection but, may not watch it much.

Read the books! They are AWESOME! I've read all of them twice and read Order of the Phoenix a third time just before going to see the movie. I'll be one of the rabid fans picking book #7 this Saturday!!

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2007, 06:57:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 15, 2007, 11:41:42 PM

Yes indeed. VERY cute.  icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Kratz
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 05:10:57 PM »

We went last night... we both had the same reaction - what was there was good, but there just needed to be more of it. Everything felt even more rushed along than the last movie... it was just: 'plot point, okay, moving on... plot point, okay, moving on...'

Do they think that people wouldn't have gone to a 3 hour movie? It would've been so much better.
noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 05:18:53 PM »

I dunno. I remember the book being 600 pages of character development and history and about 100 pages of actual stuff happening. I think it was destined from the start to translate into a mediocre movie.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2007, 12:32:50 AM »

Quote from: noun on July 17, 2007, 05:18:53 PM

I dunno. I remember the book being 600 pages of character development and history and about 100 pages of actual stuff happening. I think it was destined from the start to translate into a mediocre movie.

you left out 170 pages of Harry angst.

Because I can,
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 01:37:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 18, 2007, 12:32:50 AM

There were a number of scenes about this in the movie. I thought it was a pretty good plot point. I mean, he's essentially famous and he's saved the world a few times, but he's feeling so alone and whatever else. All that on top of being a teenager  icon_biggrin

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007, 02:39:35 PM »

Quote from: jimmyorr99 on July 18, 2007, 01:37:42 PM

There were a number of scenes about this in the movie. I thought it was a pretty good plot point. I mean, he's essentially famous and he's saved the world a few times, but he's feeling so alone and whatever else. All that on top of being a teenager  icon_biggrin

at least the movie cut down on some of that, which is probably why I liked the movie more than the book.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2007, 12:50:29 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 18, 2007, 02:39:35 PM

at least the movie cut down on some of that, which is probably why I liked the movie more than the book.

I actually missed some of the angst in the movie.  I found the book pretty affecting because I really empathized with Harry and completely understood why he was so angry and frustrated with everyone.  I thought his scene with Dumbledore at the end of the novel was very powerful and cathartic and a big reason why Harry ends up in a much better place emotionally after Sirius's death than Cedric's even though he was so much closer to Sirius.   
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 01:24:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 18, 2007, 02:39:35 PM

Quote from: jimmyorr99 on July 18, 2007, 01:37:42 PM

I actually thought it was good that they showed it at all. I mean, before it was just fighting the good fight 24/7 one dimensional harry. A little angst was welcome.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2007, 02:27:57 AM »

The movie didn't have the magic coin that Dumbledore's Army used to alert them to the meeting times

and by the time the director of book seven comes along hes going to be cursing the bastard who left that out

"should we... should we just have them use their mobiles?
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2007, 12:48:47 PM »

On a side note, anyone play the game?  Other than our illustrious leader.  I read the review and am intrigued, but he didn't say much as to any combat and if so, how much?

Plus, I have never read a book nor seen a movie, so, could I enjoy the game on its own right?  Thought the demo was intriguing, by the way, but the game HAS to have some action.  And I don't mean throwing benches around and stuff.  I mean magical combat against something or someone.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2007, 02:35:12 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on July 24, 2007, 12:48:47 PM

On a side note, anyone play the game?  Other than our illustrious leader.  I read the review and am intrigued, but he didn't say much as to any combat and if so, how much?

I seem to remember reading a review that said combat was turn-based and repetitive, but I cannot remember which site had that.  The IGN review doesn't really mention combat at all-  I doubt there is alot of it- the game is supposed to be heavy on the exploration/puzzle solving element.

From Gamespot:

Later in the game, you'll learn combat spells. These are cast in the same way as noncombat spells and mostly use the same patterns. But there will only be a few instances where you'll need to perform these combat spells because there's hardly any dueling in the game. This is probably a good thing because the combat isn't very good, and it's tough to tell if you're actually hitting someone. Even during the last fight, you just stand there casting the same spell over and over, waiting for a cutscene to signify the end of the battle.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: