http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 09:44:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows: P-DAY +2 (impressions/spoilers within)  (Read 7259 times)
Starshifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2007, 05:43:31 PM »

Just got the email this morning that Amazon has shipped my books!

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2007, 05:45:17 PM »

Classic, from the Washington Post:

One copy of the book landed on the doorstep of William Collier, an Atlanta engineer who, though only a casual Harry reader, had ordered an advance copy of "Deathly Hallows" off DeepDiscount. When the book arrived four days early, Collier took immediate and responsible action: He placed it on sale on eBay with a reserve price of $250. Collier said the book was purchased yesterday by an editor at Publisher's Weekly. Editors at Publisher's Weekly could not be reached for comment.
In lieu of further details, Collier responded by offering for $300 a written account of his story, which he'd sentimentally titled, "I Was an eBay Voldemort." The Washington Post declined.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2007, 12:49:58 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 19, 2007, 04:04:07 PM

I'm certainly pumped- I re-read Book 6 last week and since Sunday I've re-read Books 2&3 and am now a quarter through Book 4 and will hopefully finish that one before getting seven.  I'd really love to re-read OotP (my favorite so far) before Deathly Hallows but I just don't think I could keep from being spoiled in the time it takes to read that monster. 

Do you understand the concept of numbers and how they have a natural order?    slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2007, 01:28:43 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on July 20, 2007, 12:49:58 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 19, 2007, 04:04:07 PM

I'm certainly pumped- I re-read Book 6 last week and since Sunday I've re-read Books 2&3 and am now a quarter through Book 4 and will hopefully finish that one before getting seven.  I'd really love to re-read OotP (my favorite so far) before Deathly Hallows but I just don't think I could keep from being spoiled in the time it takes to read that monster. 

Do you understand the concept of numbers and how they have a natural order?    slywink

Heh Tongue

Well, I figured that Book 6 was the priority for the re-read since it's the only one I've only read once and it leads into seven and all.  But I finished it much quicker than anticipated and still in the mood decided on re-reading the earlier ones.  However I decided to skip the first since it's arguably the least important (and my least favorite) and I'm also trying to get my wife to start the series so I wanted her to have access to it.

It all makes sense to me!
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2007, 02:22:50 AM »

Got the book off deepdiscount, took off and read it. Disappointing.....

Spoiler for Hiden:
Turns out that Snape had an affair with Lilly and is really Harry's Dad. It also seems that Hermonie is Harry's sister and that she was addopted by the Muggles to hide her, which explains where she gets her talent from. Ron hooks up with Hermonie and hint on marraige. Padfoot comes back as a ghost, as does Dumbledore and they tell Harry that he must defeat Snape and Voldemort. Harry feels sorry for Snape and what his father did to him and tries to win Snape back over. At the end, when Voldemort is about to finally kill Harry, Snape intercepts the spell just as he hits Voldermort with one and they both die. Meanwhile, Ron and Hermonie conjur up a large pack of ferrets and use them to defeat all the Death Eaters. At the end, Snape comes back as a ghost with Dumbledore and Padfoot, while the Weasly twins shoot off fireworks.....
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2007, 03:37:49 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on July 20, 2007, 02:22:50 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Turns out that Snape had an affair with Lilly and is really Harry's Dad. It also seems that Hermonie is Harry's sister and that she was addopted by the Muggles to hide her, which explains where she gets her talent from. Ron hooks up with Hermonie and hint on marraige. Padfoot comes back as a ghost, as does Dumbledore and they tell Harry that he must defeat Snape and Voldemort. Harry feels sorry for Snape and what his father did to him and tries to win Snape back over. At the end, when Voldemort is about to finally kill Harry, Snape intercepts the spell just as he hits Voldermort with one and they both die. Meanwhile, Ron and Hermonie conjur up a large pack of ferrets and use them to defeat all the Death Eaters. At the end, Snape comes back as a ghost with Dumbledore and Padfoot, while the Weasly twins shoot off fireworks.....

Brilliant.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2007, 05:16:04 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

won't you feel like an arse if you're right?  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2007, 11:23:53 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 20, 2007, 05:16:04 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

won't you feel like an arse if you're right?  Tongue

The only thing there that should be remotely right is the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Snape/Voldermort thing. But I think Harry kills Voldermort. I also wouldn't be surprised about the Ghost thing. If a pack of Ferrets show up though, I'm gonna be pissed...
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »

Real predictions/guesses....

Spoiler for Hiden:
  • Snape IS good
  • Either Dumbledore planned on Snape killing him or Dumbledore used a Substituion-Jutsu and isn't dead
  • Snape will die. Either defeating Voldemort or saving Harry
  • Ron/Hermonie & Harry/Ginny Hook-up both imply marriage for the next book or something
  • I think Harry is the one to defeat Voldemort, but it's possible someone else does.
  • I think that Malfoy turns out to be a hero of some sort. He may be one of the ones killed though.
  • I think one of the Dursley's might get killed. Maybe the parents, but I actually like their characters
  • I think that there may be implications that Harry becomes Headmaster eventually
  • I hope Snape gets to finally teach Defense against the dark arts. Then sucks at it...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2007, 02:19:24 PM »

Punisher,

Re: your last prediction- that happened in book six (minus the sucking at it part since we didn't really see a whole of the actual class sections). 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2007, 02:25:17 PM »

well the midnight thing is out for me- I spent half the night up coughing and since there's pretty much no way I can get out of work today I'll be pretty much going home, chugging some Nyquil and crashing.  I'll drag myself to the store tomorrow to grab a copy and spend the weekend recuperating/reading.  The idea of being sick and having to put up with little demons- er, kids- does not sound appealing.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2007, 02:27:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 20, 2007, 02:25:17 PM

well the midnight thing is out for me- I spent half the night up coughing and since there's pretty much no way I can get out of work today I'll be pretty much going home, chugging some Nyquil and crashing.  I'll drag myself to the store tomorrow to grab a copy and spend the weekend recuperating/reading.  The idea of being sick and having to put up with little demons- er, kids- does not sound appealing.

May be for the best.  I fully expect most midnight launches to have people hanging around waiting to spoil it for the crowd.  If I do decide to go tonight to get it, I'll probably wait until closer to 1am and grab it at Walmart when hopefully most people will have come and gone (including those waiting to spoil it).  But I'm leaning toward just grabbing it from Target or something first thing in the morning. 
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2007, 03:17:59 PM »

Err, why are people listing their guesses to what happens as spoilers?

Anyway, I think at least one of the 'Big three" as I'll call them needs to get it or it will be a copout on Rowling's part to appease fans. One of them should have to sacrifice to add make the 7 book run have the needed weight for the climax.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2007, 04:17:38 PM »

Note:  Wal-Mart (possibly other places) are carrying a special edition of the book which comes in a slipcase and contains a bunch of additional content at $45 or so. 

Thought you guys might want to know.  And they're limited.  Our store is getting like...six copies (as opposed to a half-pallet of the regular book at $18)
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2007, 04:47:55 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 20, 2007, 02:19:24 PM

Punisher,

Re: your last prediction- that happened in book six (minus the sucking at it part since we didn't really see a whole of the actual class sections). 

hmm, really, I didn't remember that at all. Maybe I should re-read it....
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2007, 05:07:40 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on July 20, 2007, 04:47:55 PM

hmm, really, I didn't remember that at all. Maybe I should re-read it....

That was actually one of my disappointments with the sixth book- after the entire series, Snape gets what he wants but Rowling only shows us one or two actual class sessions.  I would have expected similar emphasis to all of the stuff we got in OotP with Umbridge. 
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2007, 03:25:53 AM »

Just went to get my wrist band at wal-mart...have to be back at 11:30 to get into lines---I am in Grif which is the first house they are giving books to!

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2007, 05:30:02 AM »

Time for media blackout. See ya'll AFTER I've read the ENTIRE book - probably the end of next week.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2007, 11:32:09 AM »

Just finished a chapter that is far into the book--nice to work all night and be able to just solidly read.....all I am willing to say is wow--unless you want more but I don't want to even tempt people with the spoiler tag!

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2007, 12:19:05 PM »

Be forewarned. It now seems that people are posting spoilers in other forums under unassuming titles. EX: I went to pbnation.com (A paintball forum) and someone posted a new message about a new marker coming out. Inside were nothing but spoilers....such a jackass...

On another note, my book better come today...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2007, 01:40:51 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on July 21, 2007, 12:19:05 PM

Be forewarned. It now seems that people are posting spoilers in other forums under unassuming titles. EX: I went to pbnation.com (A paintball forum) and someone posted a new message about a new marker coming out. Inside were nothing but spoilers....such a jackass...

I'm working hard to bust these scumbags as they pop up.  Sorry if anyone gets burned....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2007, 02:42:23 PM »

Done.  I liked it.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2007, 05:04:46 PM »

Done.  I liked it too.  Sad at parts.   No spoilage.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2007, 06:00:50 PM »

My daughter and I got a copy at a local store this morning at 7am. I'm letting my daughter read it as much as she wants since she's off to camp tomorrow. She's on chapter 12. I'm getting in a little when she sets it down. I'm on chapter 6. Really good so far!

I'm sure glad I didn't order it because our mailman doesn't come until the afternoon!!

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2007, 06:01:05 PM »

Done!

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2007, 01:50:25 AM »

How in the world do you people read this book in one night??? Don't you get sleepy?  Don't the eyes get heavy? Plus, I want to savor it as much as possible.  You guys are amazing.

My kids and I went to the midnight thing at Barnes & Noble.  It was a lot of fun.  I picked up two copies there for my kids and I got my copy today in the mail.

The amazing thing is it is Saturday night and my son, daughter and myself are all reading.  My daughter laying on the floor.  My son on the sofa and I'm sitting in a chair.  And it's dead quiet!  Amazing.  Reading rocks!  nod

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2007, 03:35:11 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 21, 2007, 01:40:51 PM

Quote from: Punisher on July 21, 2007, 12:19:05 PM

I'm working hard to bust these scumbags as they pop up.  Sorry if anyone gets burned....

Unfortunately I looked in that one thread very early this morning before it disppeared.  People annoy me. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2007, 04:54:44 AM »

Quote from: Starshifter on July 22, 2007, 01:50:25 AM

How in the world do you people read this book in one night??? Don't you get sleepy?  Don't the eyes get heavy? Plus, I want to savor it as much as possible.  You guys are amazing.

My kids and I went to the midnight thing at Barnes & Noble.  It was a lot of fun.  I picked up two copies there for my kids and I got my copy today in the mail.

The amazing thing is it is Saturday night and my son, daughter and myself are all reading.  My daughter laying on the floor.  My son on the sofa and I'm sitting in a chair.  And it's dead quiet!  Amazing.  Reading rocks!  nod

THREE COPIES?? Holy cow! Do you keep all of them? That's a lot of money for one story. I saw numerous people buying two copies when my daughter and I picked up our (one) copy.

She's been reading off and on today and just gave up at 9:50pm due to having to get up at 7am tomorrow. She made it through chapter 31 (page 638 of 759). If she wouldn't have goofed around on the computer for an hour and played with other stuff this afternoon, she would have finished it. She's got one more chance to finish it in the morning before she's gone to camp until Thursday. I'm betting she makes it.

As for me, I'm on page 120, and read slowly, sometimes reading sections twice. I'm savoring it slowly over the next few days.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2007, 05:15:18 AM »

A friend dropped of their copy off for me to read while working the overnight last night.  Lots of time and nothing else pressing to do equals plenty of time to read.  I'm sure I'll reread it at a later date as well.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2007, 06:42:42 AM »

Um, wow.  Fantastic.  Probably my favorite of the series.  While it's certainly far more epic than the previous installments what really impressed me was that Rowling actually made it the most personal of the books.  While the large supporting cast all get their moments to shine, this book is really focused on the the core trio and it really is amazing how far they've come in this series. 

It's also pretty darn dark- not so much the deaths (though there are quite a few) but some of the setpieces are pretty unsettling and oppressive.  Even at their darkest, the previous books always had some level of warmth and sanctuary while at Hogwarts.  Not so in this one.  This would likely push the boundaries of PG-13 when it comes to the movies. 

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2007, 12:39:14 PM »

I'm not even sure they'd be able to pull this movie off without making it 3 hours at a minimum.  I can't see a whole lot that they could cut.  The only options I can see might be
Spoiler for Hiden:
some of the stuff with Ron, Hermione and Harry in tents around England, some of the bits of Voldemort chasing after the Elder Wand, maybe some of the pre-wedding stuff...

Possibly...possibly the epilogue.  But man...
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2007, 05:20:41 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on July 22, 2007, 01:50:25 AM

No I just had to work all night at a desk and had nothing else to do...when you have a solid 8 hours to read you get through stuff pretty quickly.  I only had about 50 or so pages to finish after I got off so i ate breakfast and read then went to sleep....  Just had the time

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2007, 05:29:07 PM »

Yeah they could cut parts out for the movie but not too much

Spoiler for Hiden:
the epilogue was the worst part...it read like a made for hallmark movie (they could make this the easter egg at the end of the credits).  they definitely could cut out some of their travels with the tent but not too much because there were parts with the locket that really developed some character issues (Ron leaving), then finding the sword, listening in to the conversation with Dean and the goblins, plus this is where Harry has most of his visions.  Definitely going to be a 3+ hour movie...which is fine by me.  i would rather have the content because I think this book was mostly content...

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2007, 05:39:08 PM »

I didn't mind the epilogue (it was nice enough and had a few really good bits) but what I really wanted was:

Spoiler for Hiden:
  Something bigger and tied a bit closer to the end of the book.  Like one of their weddings maybe where you can find out a bit about what the great supporting cast is up to (did George continue Weasely Wizarding Wheezes on his own, who is the hopefully permanent DADA teacher, is McGonnall headmaster, what are Harry, Ron, and Hermione doing now that they are out of school, what's Luna up to, how's Harry doing as godfather to Remus's and Tonk's kid, etc).  The stuff that Rowling put in the epilogue (the majority of which was evidently penned when she wrote the first book) was really the obvious stuff.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2007, 05:41:40 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 22, 2007, 05:39:08 PM

I didn't mind the epilogue (it was nice enough and had a few really good bits) but what I really wanted was:

Spoiler for Hiden:
  Something bigger and tied a bit closer to the end of the book.  Like one of their weddings maybe where you can find out a bit about what the great supporting cast is up to (did George continue Weasely Wizarding Wheezes on his own, who is the hopefully permanent DADA teacher, is McGonnall headmaster, what are Harry, Ron, and Hermione doing now that they are out of school, what's Luna up to, how's Harry doing as godfather to Remus's and Tonk's kid, etc).  The stuff that Rowling put in the epilogue (the majority of which was evidently penned when she wrote the first book) was really the obvious stuff.

Yeah I wanted some of that stuff as well

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2007, 06:04:17 PM »

I started reading it last evening (yesterday was just too nice of a day to be cooped up inside- upper 70's, breezy and sunny) and finished reading it  this morning around 7AM.  A good entry into the series, but I didn't feel it was the best.  The Epilogue, without giving anything away, felt tacked on and I really wanted to see what KG listed.

As for the eventual movie, I think 3 hours will be just about right.  Thing that will probably be cut:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The wedding will probably take about 5 minutes of screen time, and alot of the portions where they are reading 'Life and Lies' will probably be abridged-  hell, I predict all of Dumbledores back story will be condensed into 10 minutes.  Alot of the back country travelling will be elminated.  I also have a feeling the major action sequeneces will get no more than 15 minutes a piece (the escape, Gringotts and the Battle of Hogwarts.  Snapes pensieve stuff will probably be cut severely too, and the setup could possibly be given away in the HBP movie (it's not like it's going to spoil anything unless you're illiterate  icon_wink).  I doubt we'll see the ghoul portion (will get the axe with the pre-wedding stuff) either.

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2007, 01:55:51 AM »

Done!

Spoiler for Hiden:
The   only death I felt bad about was Dobby.  He was one of my favorite characters

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2007, 02:01:25 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on July 23, 2007, 01:55:51 AM

Done!

Spoiler for Hiden:
The   only death I felt bad about was Dobby.  He was one of my favorite characters

Yeah I agree

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2007, 02:20:44 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on July 23, 2007, 01:55:51 AM

Done!

Spoiler for Hiden:

I felt pretty bad about
Spoiler for Hiden:
almost all of them (at least of the good guys) but especially Fred.  The twins have long been among my favorite characters.  They have also been pretty untouchable- you know those people you meet that can pretty much get away with anything while you know that you could never pull off anything similar?  They're exactly like that and I was very sorry see one of them go.  It's hard to imagine one without the other.  I loved how even George being horribly maimed didn't stop them from cracking jokes almost immediately.   They were the type of characters that elevated any scene they were in.

The only one I didn't really feel anything for was Mad Eye Moody.  I loved his character in Goblet but then it turns out that it wasn't him and he was really evil and the character hasn't been the same for me since.  I feel like I really didn't know him even though it seems like Crouch's impersonation was pretty much spot-on.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2007, 04:07:08 AM »

Ok, here's the stuff I didn't get

Spoiler for Hiden:
Horcruxes:
ring, cup, tiara, diary, snake, locket, and what was the seventh?  Shouldn't there have been one for each of the houses?

Also, when did they figure out that the cup was a horcrux.  I appear to have missed that part.

Seemed awful easy to break into the supposedly impenetrable Gringott's, no?

How, exactly, did Draco come to be the master of the elder wand?  And how did Harry then become master of it?

How did Neville get the Sword of Griffindor?

I also thought the epilogue was lame.  I thought Snape would turn out to be good, and am glad he did.  I honestly thought that Draco would have some sort of redemption and wind up saving Harry somehow.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 04:17:27 AM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: