http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 06:24:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows: P-DAY +2 (impressions/spoilers within)  (Read 7235 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2007, 03:52:55 PM »

One week to go and we finally find out how it all ends.  It's almost bittersweet knowing that it is the end, or at least the end for now.  I really meant to re-read all the books before next Saturday but I just haven't had the time to do so but most of it should come back to me.  The endings of the last 2 books have been somewhat brutal, and I'm bracing for a tragic ending to the final book....

So, who's going to do the whole midnight release thing?  I'm debating going-  I skipped the other ones but this will be the last chance to do so, and the local Barnes and Noble is only a 10 minute walk away from my place so I'll probably end up going.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 03:50:21 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 03:55:36 PM »

I'll be working during it, so.
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 04:27:50 PM »

I'm waiting for the boxed set.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 04:34:13 PM »

I'm debating the midnight release.  I'm so wary of spoilers for this one (overheard the ending of HBP while browsing in Barnes and Noble one day) that I'm pretty much going to be going into radio silence until I finish.  So getting it at midnight would give me a head start.  But I also wouldn't put it past someone at the midnight release to immediately flip to the end and try and spoil it for everyone there.  That's just how some people are.  Maybe I'll just go to something like Walmart where hopefully they'll put the books out at midnight with less fanfare.  I've already got it preordered for Saturday delivery through Amazon but I don't know what time of day it's likely to show up. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 04:47:07 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 14, 2007, 04:34:13 PM

But I also wouldn't put it past someone at the midnight release to immediately flip to the end and try and spoil it for everyone there. 

I'd love to see someone do that and get mobbed.  Of course I wouldn't see a thing  ninja

Because I can,
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 04:48:17 PM »

If I remember...someone DID do that at a major book store at the launch of HBP.

Something about wearing a t-shirt which reads **** kills **** and HA HA HA.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 04:58:18 PM »

I did the Amazon preorder thing mainly to save money, but also for the benefit of having it shipped to me so I can keep my embargo on information up. icon_wink I'll likely be avoiding the internet until I finish the book!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 07:27:54 PM »

Just like Farscry, I'm having Amazon ship it to my house, where I will then lock the outside world out until I've finished it. Being in the land of anti-Harry Potter lawsuits, I wouldn't be half-surprised if some fundie idiot started screaming out the ending to the book at a bookstore to try and save some souls.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 07:36:50 PM »

Unfortunately, next weekend is the Young Democrats of America national convention, and I'm working on my friend David's campaign for president of YDA. I've got my book ordered, and I'll likely slip away from the victory party on Saturday to grab it, and read it on Sunday.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 08:34:22 PM »

We know people die...my guess is:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Hermoine and Hagred are killed

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 10:02:21 PM »

My guess is neither. My guess is as follows:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Voldemort and either Belatrix or Lucious Malfoy. My thinking is that evil is finally punished and Harry gets the happy ending.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 11:52:20 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on July 14, 2007, 10:02:21 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Voldemort and either Belatrix or Lucious Malfoy. My thinking is that evil is finally punished and Harry gets the happy ending.

You think it won't come without some

Spoiler for Hiden:
sacrifice?  With Black and Dumble getitng it in the last two books, I can't imagine a total Harry victory without some major loss.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 11:56:08 PM »

I think this one is a lock for sacrifice:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Snape, and also at least one of the Weasleys.

Because I can,
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 02:12:54 AM »

okay ready for it?  the one who dies is in fact...
Spoiler for Hiden:
harry

why you say?  he simply must die because he is, in fact the
Spoiler for Hiden:
final horcrux

thats right you heard it here first
Spoiler for Hiden:
voldemort wasnt trying to kill him he was ensuring his own immortality - they both go in the finale

thats my guess im sticking to it - and yes im a huge (closet smile) harry potter fan f&@$ing childrens books and i love em
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 04:06:38 AM »

I've considered the same possibility Doopri and I hope we're both wrong. icon_wink

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 04:20:40 AM »

Quote from: Blackadar on July 14, 2007, 11:52:20 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on July 14, 2007, 10:02:21 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

You think it won't come without some

Spoiler for Hiden:
sacrifice?  With Black and Dumble getitng it in the last two books, I can't imagine a total Harry victory without some major loss.

I think
Spoiler for Hiden:
that's already plenty of sacrifice in the sense that he's already lost his family, but found a new one among his friends, and has also lost his mentors but come to find that he's learned enough to stand on his own without going down the same dark path as Voldemort. I think he may think about sacrificing himself but when it comes down to it he may choose the better path of just kicking Voldemort's ass. slywink Call me optimistic but I don't see Rowling killing off Potter himself. I could understand it, don't get me wrong, but I somehow think she'll have him live while killing off a few bad guys in their place. Possibly Wormtail and Voldemort, now that I think about it. Or maybe Neville comes in at the last second and blasts Belatrix through the same archway she sent Sirius through. Symmetry and all that. smile

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2007, 11:38:43 AM »

Here's my opinions:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Draco's not evil, for one thing.  He's a spoiled little brat, and just as sleazy as he can get, but after the events of HBP, he's definitely not evil, and most definitely in over his head.  Odds of Draco biting it?  4:1

Snape's most definitely evil, based on how often he called Vodlemort the 'Dark Lord', which no one other than a Death Eater has done.  Odds on his dying:  2:1, and I think he's one of the ones to go.

People who I feel will /not/ die, no matter what.  Harry and Ginny.  That's it.  I feel a happy ending at the end of it all.  Harry deserves it.  I think Wormtail's going to do something heroic at the end, based on the entire thing about him being in debt to Harry for saving his life, so I'm going to say that he's going to bite it.  By the way, it's never said that only two people die.  It's said that two people die that she wasn't intending to.  Personally, I'm afraid that it's going to be either Ron or Hermione for one, and possibly Neville or Luna for the second.

I also think that the Ministry of Magic is going to go up in flames at some point, either at the hands of the Death Eaters and suchlike, or at the hands of Harry himself.  The werewolves and giants will become involved, on both sides, and there're possibilities for Lupin to take care of Fenrir Greyback (or for Lupin to be one of the ones to die), and probably some action for Hagrid, Grawp and Olympe.  I don't foresee them going to Hogwarts in the book, unless an attack happens. 

Oh, and yes, Voldemort will bite it.  I don't think Harry's one of the Horcruxes, simply because the order of things was 'murder' and then 'split soul'.  He killed Harry's parents, and when he killed Lily (protecting Harry), her sacrifice protected him.  Voldemort wasn't trying to split his soul at that point, he was trying to kill Harry with the Avada Kedabra, based on his original memories / nightmares about a green light.  Voldemort failed, and was nearly destroyed in the process.  The only way he could have put part of his soul in Harry is if he had killed James, then put the soul in Harry, and /then/ killed Lily, as he couldn't touch Harry at all after she died.  I think the locket that Kreacher probably stole (and Bellatrix Lestrange probably has no) is one of them, the thing of Gryffindor, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw are 3 more, and the two being gone to make six.  Seven could be any number of things, although the question truly is, did Voldemort split his soul into -eight- pieces, or seven?  If seven, then it's 6 Horcruxes plus himself.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 11:47:06 AM by Zarkon » Logged
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007, 02:44:44 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on July 15, 2007, 11:38:43 AM

Here's my opinions:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Draco's not evil, for one thing.  He's a spoiled little brat, and just as sleazy as he can get, but after the events of HBP, he's definitely not evil, and most definitely in over his head.  Odds of Draco biting it?  4:1

Snape's most definitely evil, based on how often he called Vodlemort the 'Dark Lord', which no one other than a Death Eater has done.  Odds on his dying:  2:1, and I think he's one of the ones to go.

People who I feel will /not/ die, no matter what.  Harry and Ginny.  That's it.  I feel a happy ending at the end of it all.  Harry deserves it.  I think Wormtail's going to do something heroic at the end, based on the entire thing about him being in debt to Harry for saving his life, so I'm going to say that he's going to bite it.  By the way, it's never said that only two people die.  It's said that two people die that she wasn't intending to.  Personally, I'm afraid that it's going to be either Ron or Hermione for one, and possibly Neville or Luna for the second.

I also think that the Ministry of Magic is going to go up in flames at some point, either at the hands of the Death Eaters and suchlike, or at the hands of Harry himself.  The werewolves and giants will become involved, on both sides, and there're possibilities for Lupin to take care of Fenrir Greyback (or for Lupin to be one of the ones to die), and probably some action for Hagrid, Grawp and Olympe.  I don't foresee them going to Hogwarts in the book, unless an attack happens. 

Oh, and yes, Voldemort will bite it.  I don't think Harry's one of the Horcruxes, simply because the order of things was 'murder' and then 'split soul'.  He killed Harry's parents, and when he killed Lily (protecting Harry), her sacrifice protected him.  Voldemort wasn't trying to split his soul at that point, he was trying to kill Harry with the Avada Kedabra, based on his original memories / nightmares about a green light.  Voldemort failed, and was nearly destroyed in the process.  The only way he could have put part of his soul in Harry is if he had killed James, then put the soul in Harry, and /then/ killed Lily, as he couldn't touch Harry at all after she died.  I think the locket that Kreacher probably stole (and Bellatrix Lestrange probably has no) is one of them, the thing of Gryffindor, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw are 3 more, and the two being gone to make six.  Seven could be any number of things, although the question truly is, did Voldemort split his soul into -eight- pieces, or seven?  If seven, then it's 6 Horcruxes plus himself.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think we're over thinking on the whole Voldemort splitting his soul thing and that what happened when he killed Harry's parents was just that - he killed Harry's parents then couldn't kill Harry himself and when that happened it backfired and destroyed Voldemort's body but obviously not his spirit since it was already split. Voldemort transferred some of his powers to Harry in that instance, which is why I could see people saying it was really part of Voldemort's soul. I think that the details of his resurrection were two-fold: 1) give him a new body first of all; 2) allow him to physically touch Harry Potter. I honestly don't think it's anything more than that, although I can see why it's easy to speculate to the contrary.

The result then is that if Harry blasts Voldemort with the killing curse then that will finally kill Voldemort, and end the war. Hopefully many a Deatheater will in fact eat death and finally the bad guys will be punished. What worries me is the thought of Rowling taking a pussy way out by killing two more of Harry's close friends then just jailing the bad guys. Some real justice needs to be meted out for once, but that's me. smile

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 03:04:31 PM »

Ahem....

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't see Harry using any of the Forbidden Curses.  While he knows how, as was said in book 5, he has to /really/ enjoy the giving of pain, et al.  And he doesn't.  I think that it's more likely that he'll either end up using a /really/ powerful Protego Charm and reflect Voldemort's own spell back...or he'll come up with another way.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2007, 06:00:46 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on July 14, 2007, 04:48:17 PM

If I remember...someone DID do that at a major book store at the launch of HBP.

Something about wearing a t-shirt which reads **** kills **** and HA HA HA.

At the Nathan's 4th of July hot-dog eating contest, one of the contestants held up a sign reading "
Spoiler for Hiden:
Hermione
dies". I hope that was just a prank.  icon_mad
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 06:28:35 PM »

Well, there /was/ a rumor on a website stating that they had hacked the book company server, and that was one fo the chars that died.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2007, 04:47:27 PM »

OK, I can't decide.  Do I want to hang out with the rabble to get the book at Midnight or do I want to have it delivered to my home on Saturday.....  I've only got a couple of days to decide.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2007, 05:28:24 PM »

I'm now thinking about hitting up Walmart Friday night.  Should be a lot more no-muss/no-fuss than going to B&N.

Oh, and I'm seeing some pretty convincing reports that the book has leaked so I would be wary of spoilers.  Looks like there is a very good chance that they are out there and by the end of the week I fully expect that there will lots of "Drive By Spoiling" on almost every site on the net, book focused or not. 
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2007, 05:40:05 PM »

My thoughts:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Harry doesn't die, that would be too "down." I do think there's sacrifice. The Weasley's are numerous, count on one of them to die -- Percy? From the Order, a couple might die -- wouldn't want to be Tonks or Lupin in Book 7.

I doubt Hermione or Ron die. That just feels like too much to me.

As for the final Horcrux.... most of the Horcruxes have been things of great meaning to Voldemort, things that he almost loved or had invested himself in in someway... and often something connected to Hogwarts or its founders.... what if the final Horcrux is Hogwarts itself, and Harry has to destroy the school to destroy Voldemort?

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2007, 08:46:21 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on July 15, 2007, 02:12:54 AM

okay ready for it?  the one who dies is in fact...
Spoiler for Hiden:
harry

why you say?  he simply must die because he is, in fact the
Spoiler for Hiden:
final horcrux

thats right you heard it here first
Spoiler for Hiden:
voldemort wasnt trying to kill him he was ensuring his own immortality - they both go in the finale

thats my guess im sticking to it - and yes im a huge (closet smile) harry potter fan f&@$ing childrens books and i love em

Spoiler for Hiden:
If Harry was a Horcrux then Voldermort would go out of his way to see that Harry would come to no harm.  The Deatheater have been trying to kill Harry since the first book.  Also, Voldermort duels Harry in the Graveyard in Goblet of Fire and tries to use one of the Unforgivables on him.   

My opinion Snape killed Dumbledore cause Dumbledore asked him too.   Malfoy couldn't do it and Dumbledore knew it would come down to it.  Snape is again working against Vldermort at the request of Dumbledore.  Re-read HBP you will see a section where Dumbledore and Snape are arguing and Snape is saying he can't do it.  Your read it here first.

Lastly, Voldermort will die along with Hagrid and one of the Weasleys.  Maybe, one of the Dursleys as well

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 12:40:18 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on July 16, 2007, 08:46:21 PM

Your read it here first.

I think I also saw that on MSNBC or CNN earlier today.

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 01:21:13 PM »

If you ordered online be on the look out cause someone already got the book early

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007, 01:53:53 PM »

I just hope that mine actually gets to me Saturday. Amazon's "guaranteed delivery" better deliver or I'll be pissed. Tongue

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2007, 02:36:27 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on July 18, 2007, 01:21:13 PM

If you ordered online be on the look out cause someone already got the book early

"Apparently, this one streamed through incredibly quickly," Broggi said of Hopkins' copy. He didn't know how many other copies would arrive early. "It's a freak accident. I would say all we ask is for it not to be read or to keep the ending to yourself."

yeah, right  icon_lol

I did the Amazon Saturday delivery deal for the last book.  The postal worker missed us on Saturday and left the box sticking out of the screen door in a rain storm  retard  Luckily both books were OK aside from some slight water damage on one, which became my copy as the other was a gift.  I complained to the local post office but nothing ever came of it as usual.

Because I can,
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2007, 03:11:48 PM »

From that same link:
Thousands of copies of the book are in the U.S. Postal Service pipeline. But postal workers have been warned to hold the books until Saturday, said spokeswoman Monica Suraci. The post office expects to deliver about 1.8 million Harry Potter books.

Warned? Oh my.  I don't think I'd be warning or giving ultimatums to postal workers.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2007, 03:38:49 PM »

just over 60 hours to go... it's almost like waiting for Christmas morning  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2007, 06:27:11 PM »

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2007, 07:01:06 PM »

Quote from: GuidoTKP on July 18, 2007, 06:27:11 PM

SON OF A BITCH!!!!!!  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2007, 12:45:33 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on July 18, 2007, 01:53:53 PM

I just hope that mine actually gets to me Saturday. Amazon's "guaranteed delivery" better deliver or I'll be pissed. Tongue

I had a screw up with HBP- I was living in an apartment so they would put packages in package lockers and leave the key in your mailbox.  Well, 7pm came and went with no key.  I emailed Amazon about it and they credited my account.  Finally about midnight I checked one more time and still no key.  So I opened up the unlocked package lockers and, sure enough, there's my Amazon package sitting there.  Evidently the postman forgot to lock it and put the key in my mailbox. Amazon still honored my credit so HBP ended up being free for me. 
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2007, 12:49:50 AM »

I'll be going to the closest store (Fred Meyer) that's selling the book Saturday morning. They open at 7am and I'll get there around then or not long thereafter. I didn't want to order online for fear the delivery would get screwed up. My daughter is dying to read it, and she leaves for camp on Sunday and I'm not letting her take it with her, so she has begged me to let her read as much of it as she can on Saturday. We'll see if I let her read it at all before going to camp.  icon_twisted

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2007, 12:51:53 AM »

Quote from: PaulBot on July 19, 2007, 12:49:50 AM

I'll be going to the closest store (Fred Meyer) that's selling the book Saturday morning. They open at 7am and I'll get there around then or not long thereafter. I didn't want to order online for fear the delivery would get screwed up. My daughter is dying to read it, and she leaves for camp on Sunday and I'm not letting her take it with her, so she has begged me to let her read as much of it as she can on Saturday. We'll see if I let her read it at all before going to camp.  icon_twisted

Man that's just cruel if she won't be able to finish it- you know the book's going to be spoiled for her by others at camp.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2007, 12:59:36 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 19, 2007, 12:51:53 AM

Quote from: PaulBot on July 19, 2007, 12:49:50 AM

Man that's just cruel if she won't be able to finish it- you know the book's going to be spoiled for her by others at camp.

That's a GOOD point!! I have decided to get it as early as possible and let her read it all day Saturday. She'll finish it - she's Evelyn Wood Jr.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2007, 03:41:08 PM »

36 hours or so until media blackout time.  It's occurred to me that the last book I've probably read all the way through could be the Half Blood Prince.... that's pretty bad.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2007, 04:04:07 PM »

You might want to consider media blackout before then- at least in a limited capacity.  Spoilers have been out there since early this week.  I

New York Times got a copy early and posted their review today.  Lots of plot spoilers so I just skimmed it but the overall review was excellent. 

I'm certainly pumped- I re-read Book 6 last week and since Sunday I've re-read Books 2&3 and am now a quarter through Book 4 and will hopefully finish that one before getting seven.  I'd really love to re-read OotP (my favorite so far) before Deathly Hallows but I just don't think I could keep from being spoiled in the time it takes to read that monster. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2007, 04:32:25 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 19, 2007, 04:04:07 PM

New York Times got a copy early and posted their review today.  Lots of plot spoilers so I just skimmed it but the overall review was excellent. 

yeah, the Baltimore Sun posted theirs yesterday but stated that there'd be no spoilers in it at all.  I still didn't read it though.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: