http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 10:06:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harry Potter & Goblet of Fire Trailer  (Read 1021 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2005, 05:42:21 PM »

Click for magical goodness

I have to say, I really like the trailer. I'd outright love it if it were in higher quality, but the hints of things to come in this are awesome. I haven't read the books past the first one, but I loved the last movie. ABC also showed the extended cut Saturday night of the second movie and it made a world of difference, even though it was 4 hours including commercials. Hopefully when they release the collected box set with all of them, Warners will include the extended cuts of the movies.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 06:27:16 PM »

I'm optimistic though I doubt that Newell can match the visual style that Cuaron brought to Azbakan.  

From what I understand they are at least hitting all of the major events from the book (Quidditch Cup, Yule Ball, Three Trials) so it should certainly make for a fast paced film.  Very interested to see how the rather dark turn in the final act plays out.  

I have no idea how they are going to adapt Order of the Phoenix though.  That thing is a monster and doesn't have the clearly deliniated events that Goblet of Fire has.  Structurally I imagine OotP will be very difficult to make as a feature film.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 09:27:49 PM »

They are going to have to start editing the books to make good movies.  Order of the Phoenix has a ton of stuff which could be cut.  While the stuff at Sirus's house was neat, it could all be cut.  It just doesn't matter to the overall story.  All that matters is that we know who are in the Order.

As for the Goblet of Fire - the trailer looks good.  I hope it turns out as good as Azkaban (which was my favorite of the 3 so far)

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 09:45:54 PM »

This movie can't possibly go wrong.

I mean they casted Mr. Bean as Lord Voldemort! Brilliant!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 09:49:43 PM »

Quote from: "Raven VII"
I mean they casted Mr. Bean as Lord Voldemort! Brilliant!

That would be wrong...Ralph Fiennes is Voldemort.

I believe Rowan Atkinson was going to be Voldemort, but he had a nervous breakdown after Johnny English tanked at the box office.  He was hoping that would be his US jumping off point.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 10:24:53 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
They are going to have to start editing the books to make good movies. Order of the Phoenix has a ton of stuff which could be cut. While the stuff at Sirus's house was neat, it could all be cut. It just doesn't matter to the overall story. All that matters is that we know who are in the Order.

Part of the problem though is that Rowling is using some stuff as setup for later payoffs and until the book series is complete it can be difficult to decide what's filler and what's essential.  I know Rowling consults on the films and gives advice on the scripts from I don't think she flat out tells the screenwriter whats going to  happen.  

Some of the stuff with Neville in the fifth book, for example, would lose impact by not having the supporting stuff about his character in previous books.  Yet just looking at his presence in earlier novels you would think he would be a relatively unimportant supporting character who could naturally be cut.  

And don't forget they cut out the major revelation about Proudfoot, et al in the Azkaban film.  If something that big could be removed out of the relatively short Azkaban novel I do have some concerns over what might be cut in the 4th and 5th films.

But of course these must stand as movies first.  The first two films suffered from perhaps too much slavish devotion to the source material.  But in having to adapt three straigth 700+ page novels into three 2.5 hour films I think the filmmakers might find themselves in a bind in one or two more movies.
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 11:41:40 PM »

My one and only hope is that it not end up like the horrific Azkaban. Best part of the movie for me. The credits.

I'll watch it though. I have to, it's wired into my nerd DNA.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 01:43:14 AM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
They are going to have to start editing the books to make good movies.  Order of the Phoenix has a ton of stuff which could be cut.  

It's already happening, IMO... the last movie rushed through the majority of the book just to get to the complicated climax.  I wonder what the running time of Order will be... I'd imagine it will be pushing 3 hours if it has any hope of being faithful to the book.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 01:49:55 AM »

I looked on IMDB...current running time is 150 minutes (2 1/2 hours) for Goblet of Fire.  They can actually eliminate quite a bit of the early part of the book and still include enough to catch everyone up to the meatier part of the book.

Order of the Phoenix also has sections that could be eliminated or streamlined.  I think it could be slightly longer than Goblet and still get the point across.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 04:51:36 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
I looked on IMDB...current running time is 150 minutes (2 1/2 hours) for Goblet of Fire.

Bring it on! Looking forward to this! Just finished the book.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: