http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 05:04:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Discussion  (Read 3423 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 06, 2005, 06:12:04 PM »

Figured I would start this early.  The book comes out at midnight next Friday night (or Saturday morning).  Rowling has said a main character dies in this book (just like the last one).  My money is on Dumbledore simply because this is the penultimate entry in the series and Book 7 can only truly end up as Harry vs. Voldemort minus Dumbledore.

Now the bigger question is who is the Half-Blood Prince and what is his stake in the story (a good or bad person compared to Harry)?  Rowling has said it is neither Harry nor Voldemort, so it's either a character already there or a character introduced in this book.

I would expect the media to start gearing up this weekend for Harry fever as the copies arrive to the stores with the "DO NOT SELL UNTIL MIDNIGHT JULY 16TH" on them and some store or stores will undoubtedly open them early and get threatened with millions of dollars in fines.  This is the biggest book of the year and I think it may get people excited for the big screen treatment of Goblet of Fire later this year.

I doubt I'll read it right away (we get the audiobooks to listen to), so I'd have to duck out of discussions in order to not be spoiled.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 06:42:28 PM »

I'll be curiuos to see if the availability is as wonky as the last one.  I recall on the day of release last time I tried to get it at Border's, only to find that their entire stock was already reserved for pre-orders, and you couldn't get a copy unless you'd already paid and your name was on the list.  The line for picking up copies was about 25 people long.  I went across the street to Best Buy where I found a table full of about 75 available copies that was being largely ignored.  Same price, same book, totally different demand.

XBox Live:  JNacht
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 06:55:20 PM »

Book stores tend to push the title more since it is a cash cow.  They probably hyped the demand and made people worry that if they didn't pre-order they would be out of luck.  I guess it worked for them!  When I worked at a book store it was like that.  I never pushed anything unless management was in ear-shot.  Usually we pushed the pre-order and still had PILES of them.  The worst I ever saw was the latest Jean Auel book.  That didn't sell very well in regards to the massive print run it got.

The initial print run for the new Harry Potter book is 10.8 million.  That's 4 million more than the last one (which held the previous record).  I'm sure you can find a copy!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 06:56:27 PM »

I really don't know who is going to die, nor do I want to guess.  I was so sad when Black "died" at the end of book 5.  I got really attached to his character and his interaction with Harry.  I can see your point about Dumbledore and it makes sense... Although I can also see something happening to Hagrid due to his close relationship with Harry.  As for the half-blood prince... isn't hagrid a half blood (giant/human)?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 12:24:18 AM »

Well, I have 2 copies ordered through Amazon with their Saturday July 16th guaranteed delivery (1 for me and 1 as a B-Day present) so I get to wake up Saturday morning after a night of New Stargate/Battlestar Galactica & drinking to have it delivered to my door.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 04:20:34 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Book stores tend to push the title more since it is a cash cow.  They probably hyped the demand and made people worry that if they didn't pre-order they would be out of luck.  I guess it worked for them!  When I worked at a book store it was like that.  I never pushed anything unless management was in ear-shot.  Usually we pushed the pre-order and still had PILES of them.  The worst I ever saw was the latest Jean Auel book.  That didn't sell very well in regards to the massive print run it got.

The initial print run for the new Harry Potter book is 10.8 million.  That's 4 million more than the last one (which held the previous record).  I'm sure you can find a copy!

But they heavily discount the pre-orders so why would they push them.  Isn't that less money in the end?

I think Neville Longbottom is the Half-Prince.  I forget why.  The thing with Potter is that its been so long that I forget sooo much.

As far as the death, Dumbledore does eventually have to be taken out in some way.  Captured or death, I see where you are going.  I am still wondering if Rowling is going to brign the wizard world into real life.  Maybe one of the Dursley's gets whacked.  I mean Mrs. Dursley is part wizard, correct?
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 05:16:36 PM »

I'm going with Hagrid being the half blood prince.  He's readily admitted to being part giant.   Now...of course that is the obvious answer.  We all know they don't go with the obvious answer.

smile

Either way..I just want the book.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 06:01:08 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
I think Neville Longbottom is the Half-Prince.  I forget why.  The thing with Potter is that its been so long that I forget sooo much.

We have a little comment discussion going on at my blog linked in my sig about this.  It can't be Neville because all signs point to him being a pureblood.  He also can't be a prince because his living grandmother would be queen (since she is a witch) and in flashbacks they would have said Neville's parents were royalty.  They were only some of the best "whatever they're called" (forget the term) wizards around.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 06:17:10 PM »

Ahh, I knew sooner or later this topic would emerge.   I am currently rereading OtoP to prepare for next week.  I simply can't wait!

Now, my opinion on who is going to die changes like I like my underwear.  Rowling has shown that she can surprise us with her characters, but if I have to be nailed down to a guess my money would be on....wait for it...Snape.   Something in me thinks Snape is going to die saving Harry's life.

Crap, now I am thinking its going to be one of the Weasleys.  Good times are ahead for us HP fans

Spoiler

BTW, there is/was a news story out there about bets being taken on this in England.  It seems that the town where the book was to be published or was partially published the town folks was placing bets that Dumbledore was the character to die.  Odds went down so fast that Bettors stopped taking bets and English publishers moved the printing from this town to Germany.    

I hope this story was incorrect.  I read this on one of the HP fansites BTW

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Skeld
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 06:36:16 PM »

[Potential Spoilers]

It would make sense if Dumbledore is the one that got killed, since it would set up the inevitable Harry / Voldemort confrontation nicely and also allow open wars between wizards to happen.

Also here a list of rumors of that will be in the out coming book, bluntantly stolen from mugglenet.com:

* We will learn a lot more about Voldemort in this book.

* HBP will be an intense book, but with light-hearted moments.

* Harry will leave Privet Drive early again, for a "much pleasanter" reason than in book 5.

* The opening chapter of book 6 was originally planned for the early parts of book 1, perhaps we get a more in-depth story of what happened the night Harry's parents died.

* Neither Harry or Voldemort (including Tom Riddle) are the Half-Blood Prince

* Arthur Weasley will not be the new Minister of Magic

* By the ends of books 6 and 7 "you'll have all the back story you'll need", says JK Rowling, and a prequel will not be necessary

* There will be a new Minister of Magic, no more Mr. Fudge.

* We will find out what happened to Hagrid's half brother Grawp. He will be a bit more controllable in book 6.

* The Dursleys are in the next book, but Harry's stay with them will be the shortest yet. In book 5 he stayed for 4 weeks, so we know his stay will be less than 4 weeks.

* Cho Chang will not be a romantic interest of Harry in Book 6, however there will be a "little romance" for Harry says JK.

* In books 6 and 7 we will find out exactly why JK killed off Sirius.

* Harry becomes even more powerful in book 6.

* In books 6 and 7 we will find out why Dumbledore trusts Snape.

* We will find out what happened to Wormtail AKA Peter Pettigrew

* More about the animosity between Snape and Sirius will be revealed in the last 2 books.

* JK has said that giving away the form of Snape's boggart and patronus says too much. We'll definitely find out what Snape's worst fear is, and it'll be important.

* Hermione and Draco will NOT end up together in book 6 or 7.

* We will find out what exactly Dudley saw when he looked at the dementors.

* The reason Voldemort and Harry both didn't die when Voldemort tried to kill Harry, will be revealed.

* We will see more of Draco's mother, Narcissa Malfoy, now that Lucius is busy.

* We'll learn more about Harry's scar in the last 2 books.

* Moaning Myrtle will make an appearance again, as will Tonks.

* More about Voldemort's birth will be revealed, thus helping us understand why he is so evil.

* Muggles begin to notice "more and more odd" occurrences in book 6, says JK.

* The wizarding world is really at war in the sixth book.

* Harry will tell his dearest friends about the prophesy after it sinks in to him.

* We will learn more about Harry's relatives, including his grandparents (though JK says they aren't really important to the story)

* We will find out what happened to Sirius's motorbike.

* Book 6 will be shorter than the 5th book (or at least JK's 99% sure, but will not swear on her children's lives)

* There will be no "new" nationalities of children at Hogwarts. Hogwarts is a British school, and JK says that adding foreigners for the sake of it is not in her plans.

* During an interview, when JKR was asked in which Hogwarts room she'd like to be for 1 hour, she said it would be a room in which Harry has been before, but doesn't know its importance. Yet. (this could have happened in book 5, but we're unsure)

* It's very important in the plot that Harry has his mother's eyes, and that her wand was very good for charms.

* During an interview for Kids BBC, Victor Greensteet (reporter) asked Rowling if Harry would have a dragon for a pet. This is what she replied: "You can't tame a dragon, no matter what Hagrid thinks. It's simply impossible. So no. He has more common sense. He MAY have a different pet in the future, but for now, I won't say anything else". (This could have been buckbeak, but I'm sure we can expect more pets)

* In the same interview for Kids BBC, the reporter asked J. K. if Harry had ever used the internet, and this is what she had to say: "No. They (the Dursleys) won't let him go near Dudley's computer, and Dudley is the only one who has a computer. They hit him if he gets too near to the keyboard. So the answer would be No. I use it a lot, but Harry doesn't. Wizards don't really need to go on the web. They have an even better way to find out what's happening in the outside world, which I think is a lot more fun than the Internet, but I'm going to keep quiet on this one."

* The choice between what's right and what's easy will be a pillar of the plot in Harry's last 2 years at Hogwarts

* Harry's parents' profession will be a big part of the plot.

* Something HUGE will be revealed about Lily Potter.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005, 08:19:24 PM »

But they heavily discount the pre-orders so why would they push them.  Isn't that less money in the end?

To lock you in.  If you look around you will find that bookstores aren't the cheapest place to buy books, they just have a better selection.  In fact I could pick up the latest best-seller at my local grocery store for less money than I could even with my employee discount.

I am curious who will have the cheapest copy.  The cover price is $29.99 and Sam's Club has it for $15.67 while most places have it for $17.99.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 06:17:35 PM »

BOOYAAAAH!!!!!!  Tonite!  I will be at my local Barnes and Noble tonight!!!!!

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 06:18:44 PM »

Can't wait!

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 09:46:44 PM »

Sorry guys, the books been cancelled.

<ducks>

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2005, 11:53:52 AM »

Posted my general impressions about the book on anOOther board, but I wanted to compliment Ms. Rowling on her skillful manipulation of mugglenet.  There isn't a single item on their list of spoilers that makes you go "a-ha" when you read the relevant part of the book.  Nothing she said is false, from what I can tell, but so much of that stuff will clearly be in book 7 that it's useless for spoiling book 6.  Brilliant.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2005, 11:21:40 PM »

Well I started the book at roughly 8AM this morning, with a few hours worth of interuptions I managed to finish the book at roughly 7PM.  Very very good, but now the waiting game begins for the final book of the series.

Edit:  The worst part is while my wife and I bought two copies it will be a few days before she finishes, so I can't talk about it at all until then.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2005, 11:26:27 PM »

I'll probably read it after my sister (who is getting the book) and my mother get done reading it.  I might be able to beat my mother to it, but. smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2005, 03:38:36 PM »

In the "Who'dve thunk it" department, Rowling laments the end of the gravy train:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/books/07/18/britain.j.k.rowling.ap/index.html

My wife and I went after a late late screening of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to pick up a copy of Half Blood Prince.  I got a rude reception at Waldenbooks and told "This is why you pre order, guess you won't get the book any time soon".  Well, this guy was apparently unaware that 1/2 a block away there was 3 pallets of the book at Walmart for 6 bucks cheaper.   He wins the asshat award of the eve. smile

The wife is soaked into the book for 10 chapters so far, she said it is fantastic.  I'll read the whole series when I graduate from college.  Just can't read for pleasure and also study. :/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2005, 06:34:34 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Well I started the book at roughly 8AM this morning, with a few hours worth of interuptions I managed to finish the book at roughly 7PM.  Very very good, but now the waiting game begins for the final book of the series.

Edit:  The worst part is while my wife and I bought two copies it will be a few days before she finishes, so I can't talk about it at all until then.

I don't get this approach.  You read it in one day?  Can you rememeber it all, wouldn't you prefer to savor it slowly like a fine fillet mignon?  Or do you read books multiple times?  Just curious.  There is no right answer.

So I have been rethinking some things but I must send a disclaimer first, I forget things.  Especially with books, so this might be completely ludicrous and easily impossible.   But when I got the book, I read the title and looked at the cover art and there is Dumbledore and Harry.  In the past after finishing the books I notice how th cover art gives clues.  So, my first thought was, could Dumbeldore be the Half Blood Prince?  Sounds unfeasible yet kinda cool.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2005, 06:45:17 PM »

I don't get this approach.  You read it in one day?  Can you rememeber it all, wouldn't you prefer to savor it slowly like a fine fillet mignon?  Or do you read books multiple times?  Just curious.  There is no right answer.

Not to answer for Arkon but 11 hours give or take is hardly speed reading for a book printed on 12 pt font even if it is 650 pages.  I'm hardly a fast reader compared to most but the only book I probably wouldn't get through in 11 hours would have to be over 600 pages with very small print or be written in a (for lack of a better term) "flowery" manner.  I can knock out a 400 page thriller on a four or five hour airline flight for example.  

Personally, I will admit to needing to re-read series books but that has nothing to do with my reading speed- that's the way my memory retention works for everything:  movies, games, and books. Too much of a break in between and I forget fine details.  Consequently reading the first chapter of "Half Blood Prince" told me that I needed to re-read OoTP first.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2005, 07:08:23 PM »

For me, when I get sucked into the story like I have with all the Harry Potter books, I can't wait to find out what happens next.  Nothing else in the world exists at this point.  My actual time spent reading was closer to 7 hours when taking into account lunch/dinner etc...

I tend to remember alot of the book and don't feel I am reading all that fast.  I can't imagine trying to take my time, that would be like watching a movie in 15 minute segments... why would I want to do that.  Dumbledore is not the half blood prince BTW.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2005, 01:28:18 PM »

Yeah, I thought dumbedlore was a stretch.  But liek Is aid, I need to re-read all the books too.

I was just curious aboutt he speed.  I guess if I had more 5-6 hour flights I would probably develop being able to read faster.  Its just tough to find a good chunk of time to read.  But if I could read that fast I would definitely re-visit a lot of books.

Anyways.  Are we keeping this thread spoiler clean?  Would love to discuss as I read....new thread?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2005, 01:44:20 PM »

Either new thread or edit this title to include spoilers... probably easiest to start a new thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: