http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 08:04:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harrisburg, PA  (Read 768 times)
Fireball
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 20, 2011, 11:06:29 PM »

Anyone live in Harrisburg?

I might be moving there for a year or so, and am looking for advice on good neighborhoods (preferably near the Capitol). I'd really like to rent a house so that my dog can have a yard.

Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 04:16:05 AM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on November 20, 2011, 11:06:29 PM

Anyone live in Harrisburg?

I might be moving there for a year or so, and am looking for advice on good neighborhoods (preferably near the Capitol). I'd really like to rent a house so that my dog can have a yard.

Um, Harrisburg is a pretty small "city". It is also pretty damned rural once you get past the city limits - you are within 20 minutes of fishing and hunting nirvana. Also hiking, if you want to carry a camera instead.  icon_razz Yards won't be a problem, it's not urban enough to have blocks of concrete wastelands.

Looks like this is the ghetto.

The Senators play minor league baseball on an island next to downtown H'burg. Nice park. Gettysburg is a short run down 15. Also down 15 is Brothers, a diner- if I'm in the area, I always stop in. Go north and you hit wilderness (and PSU). Poe Paddy State park is pretty amazing. Shoot northwest and you'll hit Allegheny National Forest, which is 800 square miles of forest.

OTOH, if you are looking for a vibrant nightlife, you may find it a bit lacking.
DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 11:01:51 PM »

I live in Hershey which is about 8 miles east of Harrisburg.  Harrisburg itself is not the most ideal area to live. The city is bankrupt and may possibly have some kind of state control board imposed on it.  The surrounding area is very nice though.  In general is it kind of a rural area.  I moved to Hershey 2 years ago and love it here.  If you have more specific questions let me know or send me a PM.

As stated above Gettysburg is 30-45 minutes away, there is a AA minor league baseball team with a newly redone stadium that is very nice.  If you like hockey there is the Hershey Bears, they are
the minor league team for the Washington Capitals.  There also is Hershey Park and some other attractions in Hershey as well.

DrJones
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 09:56:31 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfZLb33uCg

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 10:21:22 PM »

Since we have the thread...

Harrisburg Bankruptcy Petition Thrown Out

Harrisburg's bankruptcy case was thrown out by a judge who ruled the city council wasn't authorized to file the petition for Pennsylvania's capital.

U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Mary D. France held a hearing today in Harrisburg on whether the council violated state laws last month when a majority opted to file under Chapter 9 of the bankruptcy code. Mayor Linda D. Thompson opposed the filing.

"For Chapter 9 bankruptcy to work, all of the branches of the municipality must be on the same page," France said. "Therefore I find that city council was not authorized to file the petition on Oct. 11."

Pennsylvania now will pursue a plan to put Harrisburg into state receivership. On Nov. 18, Governor Tom Corbett's administration nominated David Unkovic, chief lawyer for the state economic development department, to be receiver for the city. Under state law, Unkovic's appointment must be approved by a Pennsylvania court.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 01:34:22 AM »

Which is really apropos of nothing. Roll Eyes

Bankruptcy or not, Harrisburg is a pleasant, if boring (compared to LA, NY) place to live. You are not going to have the crimerate of Pittsburgh or Philly and you have the advantage of being at the crossroads of the state.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 05:43:43 AM »

Thanks for the info! I'm not really big on small towns, but the job would be one that'd be hard to turn down.

Apparently I'm on the short list, so here's hoping.  smile

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 07:07:41 AM »

Quote from: Default on November 24, 2011, 01:34:22 AM

Which is really apropos of nothing. Roll Eyes

Bankruptcy or not, Harrisburg is a pleasant, if boring (compared to LA, NY) place to live. You are not going to have the crimerate of Pittsburgh or Philly and you have the advantage of being at the crossroads of the state.

Yeah, it's not like someone else had already brought it up in the thread or anything. But whatever.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 08:09:40 PM »

Surprised that no one dragged Sandusky into the equation, but not many people are from the area either.
The cost of living is low and that is a good thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: