http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 04:38:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Handheld (Palm) Recommendations?  (Read 1686 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2005, 05:36:06 PM »

My wife wants a palm-type device that she can use one of those fold-out keyboards to take notes in school.  She will also want the organizer functions and the ability to play MP3s.  I'm really not familiar with what is out there but know a lot of you guys use em.  Any ideas?  What should I be asking?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 06:16:46 PM »

My wife has a Dell Axim X30 (Pocket PC not Palm) and loves it.  It does all those things easily and bunches more.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 07:04:43 PM »

I'll look into that one.

Any other recommendations?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 07:39:10 PM »

Palm Zire 72

MP3, Integrated Camera (1 megapixel), moderately fast CPU, crisp display, easy to use.

You'll need to buy a Ifrared Keyboard, but those are cheap.  You'll also need to throw in a SD card for the MP3s, but those are reasonably priced as well (get 512MB).
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 07:46:37 PM »

had my Zire 72 for a couple months and love it.  you can get sd cards fairly reasonable if she's gonna need room for the mp3's.  i don't know anything about the keyboards, all i know is the basic retail package and it's great.  camera, voice recorder, mp3 player, etc.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 09:49:24 PM »

I've got an IPaq (forgot the model number- something in the 3000 series) and I love it.  Its Pocket PC-based which is a big selling point to me since it features a familiar interface and programs like Pocket Word and Pocket Excel.  Mine also has wireless internet (bluetooth) integrated.

A friend of mine has the fold out keyboard attachment for this model and its pretty darn slick.  Turns it into a mini-laptop.  The keyboard itself is pretty compact but folds out to a laptop size keyboard with a stand to prop the IPaq on like a monitor.

EDIT- other features- integrated multimedia center for MP3s, movies, etc.  Can stream media from PC over wireless connection or you can load it to a memory card (comes w/ 56 Megs internal but can be upgraded to 1 Gig or so with SD memory cards).  

Also has an integrated "remote" function that can control all of your home theater components.  Kind of a neat bonus.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 01:39:52 PM »

I also recommend an iPaq.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 03:15:40 PM »

Palms and iPaqs both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Palms:  Great UI, Long battery life, Thousands of free/cheap programs
iPaw: Native Office integration, Better multimedia (video), and more powerful.

Both will do mp3 and both can use a keyboard.  Both can create files that can be read on a PC.  iPaqs and such are generally more expensive than Palms, but Palm also has a couple of high-end models (Treo 650 and Tungsten C).

You likely won't want to surf the net on any PDA at the moment.
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 03:17:06 PM »

I like the new smartphones.  It takes two things you will probably have and puts it into one device.  Two that I really like are the new Nextel phones (dont know the model, but breifly looked at a friend's), and also the new Treo phones.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 03:29:40 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
I like the new smartphones.  It takes two things you will probably have and puts it into one device.  Two that I really like are the new Nextel phones (dont know the model, but breifly looked at a friend's), and also the new Treo phones.

Yep... Smartphones are the way to go.  The Treo 600 and 650 both do a whole hell of a lot, but are slightly large in package.  Then again, they have a thumbpad, and with just a tiny bit of practice, that can be nearly as effective as a keyboard.

I don't do a lot of writing on my PDA, so I opted with the Samsung i500 smartphone, which uses a stylus like a regular Palm device would.

gellar
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 04:33:05 PM »

Yea, the wife spotted the Treo 650 and she thinks she wants one.  Anyone have any experience with the Treo or the other PDA/Phone combos, positive or negative?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 06:41:16 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Yea, the wife spotted the Treo 650 and she thinks she wants one.  Anyone have any experience with the Treo or the other PDA/Phone combos, positive or negative?

I don't know much about it at all (other than that I've looked at that exact model for a while now), so tell us how it is if you do decide to get it. biggrin

One thing to keep in mind - with my Palm Tungsten T|3, I have a sustained battery life of about 3 hours. With the keyboard and MP3 player running, expect a lifespan of about two, depending on brightness and a few other factors.

Now, that means that you're typing away constantly, always listening to music, and not shutting the thing off at all.

The Zire line I hear has good battery life, as does the Treo (as it's a cell phone, it sorta has to), but the Tungsten line isn't well known for a good battery.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 08:08:57 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Treo's are very, very good.  If they weren't Gigantor (tm), I'd have one.  They're the default phone for my colleagues and no one dislikes them.  They do everything quite well.  The only knocks on them that I've heard are a) a Blackberry does email better, and b) the form factor isn't as nice as a flip phone.  Knock B is the reason I and two other guys I know went with the i500 instead, but that's certainly a personal decision for most.  Knock A is only applicable if you do a shit ton of email.  The Blackberry's are godawful cell phones though.

Also, the Treo is a damn pricey machine.  If you can get past that and the size, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't have one.

gellar
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 04:41:33 PM »

You could argue non-phone Palms were doomed years ago, but Palm made it official the other day:

Colligan: No New Palm Handhelds
http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9654/colligan-no-new-palm-handhelds/
In short, he states that Palm will continue to "push them out" as long as there is still sufficient demand. He continues by adding that they are not developing new ones, and as such there is an inevitable end to the product line.

I still faithfully use my Palm Zire 71, even if Palm won't bother to make its desktop software Vista 64-bit compatible -- I use Mobile Digital Media's nice backup card for backing up instead, but I don't really have a way to transfer files onto it now except by digging my old computer out. In fact, my Zire 71 hard-locked the other day so badly, I had to just let the power run out (a hard reset wouldn't fix it) and then restore from the MDM card, which worked beautifully.

I always said I knew PDAs were dead when, while walking in Washington D.C. to meet a former co-worker for lunch, I saw a homeless man in a park. In tatters, newspapers for a blanket. He got up groggily... and took a cellphone out of his pocket and started talking. At that point, I knew standalone PDAs were doomed. icon_razz

I may get an iPod Touch at some point (I've been waiting for the add-on Apps to match what I use my Palm for), but I plan to stick with my Zire 71 until it won't work anymore. The sad thing is, the Zire 72 by most accounts proved far less reliable (my best friend got one and eventually gave up on it because of its propensity for locking up and crashing). But to this day, while you can still find some accessories and software for Palm non-phone models going back to the Zire 72, that's sort of the "dividing line." There's a pretty cool Wi-Fi card for example that works with the 72 but not my 71.  disgust

Anyway, here's a few pics of my mostly mothball gathering Palms, it seemed appropriate.  tear

My Collection. From bottom left, clockwise: original Palm Pilot bought in 1998 (people to this day still mistakenly say "Palm Pilot" although Palm removed the name ages ago after being warned by Pilot Pen to remove "Pilot"), Visor (2MB version), Visor Prism (my first color Palm) and my trusty Palm Zire 71 (I bought as a b-day present for myself in 2003). I gave my brother my Visor Deluxe (8MB version, slightly better b/w screen) as an Xmas gift, but I think handwriting recognition frustrated him and he put it away, I should ask for it back some day).

The Original.

The original was far more "open" than later models. I upgraded the memory to a whopping 1MB. Unfortunately, the memory door wasn't secure. I kept dropping my Palm out of my shirt pocket, and *boom* the memory card door and memory card would pop out. But it never stopped working.  icon_smile Early models were made in Singapore, Malaysia. Around the time I got my Zire 71, they shifted production to China.

My trusty Zire 71. It's not pictured but I use a very sturdy Rhino-Skin case on it that makes it easy to keep it in pants pocket without damaging it. You can still slide the camera mechanism out while it's in the case.

I still think the slider camera mechanism is one of their most clever designs. When I'm shopping for games/hardware at stores I still regularly take pics with it (I realize most cell phones have cameras today).

I get many compliments on the Zire 71, people are amazed by what it can do - even as a 5-year-old product. If you ever go to Apple's site and see some of their videos on what their various iPods, iPhones etc. can do, I never felt Palm did a good job of getting across what you can do with their stuff. They got stuck in portraying them as slide rules.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 04:46:51 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 10:08:52 PM »

I loved the Palm Zire 71. What a slick design (although the little nub meant you had to load the PDA into the case upside down to prevent activation.) Unfortunately I lost it on a business trip. I now use a Sony Ericsson P1i, but I don't take as many notes these days as I used to.
I also still own a Handspring Visor. Man, that thing was a disappointment - development of those cartridges never took off.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 10:34:25 PM »

The company I work for manufactures software for most of the portable handhelds; i.e Pocket PC, Smart Phone and Blackberry. I think most of the recommendations here are good and since I know you're in the US Ron, I'd recommend a device that use the Pocket PC OS. I'd recommend you not invest in any device that uses the Palm OS, since most 3rd parties have dropped support for that OS over the past 2 years. The only caveat I have to my recommendation is that customer satisfaction with Blackberry devices is very strong. But quite honestly, unless you live in Canada -where the 2 dominant cellular carriers are strongly behind the Blackberry- you're best off buying some device that's Pocket PC based.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 10:41:26 PM by kronovan » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 02:02:52 AM »

kronovan - you might want to look at the post date every so often. Go back from the grave you came from, thread!  icon_twisted

That said - that's too bad for Palm. They had such innovative devices, yet they sat on their ass for the last 5 years and let the world pass them by.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 04:26:09 AM »

Quote from: ChaoZ on December 20, 2008, 10:08:52 PM

I loved the Palm Zire 71. What a slick design (although the little nub meant you had to load the PDA into the case upside down to prevent activation.) Unfortunately I lost it on a business trip. I now use a Sony Ericsson P1i, but I don't take as many notes these days as I used to.
I also still own a Handspring Visor. Man, that thing was a disappointment - development of those cartridges never took off.
Actually, the cartridges *did* take off, to some extent. I know what you mean though - 3rd party companies, aside from MemPlug, never really got going with the modules. I think probably the Phone module (clunky though it was), the second incarnation of the Eyemodule camera module, and the various MemPlug memory card reader modules were probably the best ones that did release. I think I remember reading about a Radio module that sounded fun, not sure if it ever released.

I have the Visor Camera Eyemodule2, and a CompactFlash module, I very nearly bought the short-lived Vistor Phone Module (made moot by the Treo), but it seemed awfully kludgy. I think there was some sort of MP3 module, but my module memory has gotten foggy.  icon_confused

I think the problem is people just want a Swiss Army Knife. I got a kick out of changing modules to do what I needed to do - I felt like James Bond.  icon_razz But once people came up with more versatile handhelds, the whole module idea seemed a little silly.

Since I've been drinking, and you've all been kind about my Palm nostalgia, I've dug up some boxes and taken a few pics for posterity as well.  Cool Apologies to those still using dial-up...

The Original! Who couldn't wet one's pants reading these things in 1996?  icon_razz

System requirements that make one cry today.  tear

I have no idea why I bought the dial-up modem. I don't think I ever was able to get it working. icon_razz

I loved my Visor Prism but I hated it wouldn't fit (due to it's larger, oval shape) in the handy belt clip for the b/w Visors. Also, the blue finish was much more prone to chipping, flaking and fading.

While not many modules released (outside of those by Palm itself), the Eyemodule2 was quite awesome, and worked with both the older b/w models and the Prism. I used my Eyemodule 2 to take some photos at museums where photos weren't allowed.  icon_redface People just had no idea I was taking pix!

The last module I got was the Memplug CompactFlash module which let you view CompactFlash card contents on a Palm. I picked it out as a birthday gift I think in 2002.

My most likely final Palm purchase, Zire 71 from 2003. Very strange bubble packaging (I definitely preferred the "normal" cardboard box packaging of the Visor brand stuff).

I've toyed with getting the Palm T/X, which has Wi-Fi built in, but I've read very erratic things about it including many complaints about crashing and reliability. They had a model for a while that had a built in mini hard-drive, but they discontinued that some time ago. The only remaining models are here (T/X, low end T22, and the solid E2 that has Bluetooth but no Wi-Fi):
http://store.palm.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3238805
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 04:31:07 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 04:09:36 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 21, 2008, 02:02:52 AM

kronovan - you might want to look at the post date every so often. Go back from the grave you came from, thread!  icon_twisted

Oops...you're right...LOL & doh!  icon_confused I was skimming just a bit too quickly for my own good there.

Unfortunately it's true about the Palm OS, in fact the company I work for was already making decisions to move away from it as early as 2005.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 06:49:28 AM »

Another vote for a pocket pc device. I've been faithfully using my HTC Touch (Sprint) ever since it came out. (Someone on thos board actually convinced me to get a T-Mobile MDA back in the day and I've been hooked on windows mobile since!)  It's almost like having a mini computer in my pocket and it allows a wireless keyboard to be used. Or you can go with a device that already has a keyboard.

Palm OS is outdated and dying a long over due death. Expect their new OS out next year so it may not be a worth wild investment to buy a current palm OS device when it's replacement is right around the corner.
With windows mobile, you always find backwards compatiblity. I've bought games and apps made for WM2003 and WM5 and when I got the Touch with WM 6.1 all my games and apps carried over fine without any problems.
Probably one of the better investments I've made when it comes to handhelds.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 01:58:52 PM »

If I got a Palm T/X, it would be more out of misguided nostalgia (it has a faulty, problematic digitizer, and most Palm forums are clogged with complaints about that model's reliability) than any belief in its future (I don't do enough calliing to care much about smartphones).

I mean, Apple can put out 3 new models of everything iPod in the time it takes Palm to get out a minor update to a 5 year old handheld OS. They have something like 850 employees now after the latest layoffs, but what do they *do*? It doesn't seem like they have anyone actually working on improving OS reliability, or truly new products.

I have nostalgia for my older Palms but none for the company as currently instituted. They pretty much have dug their own corporate grave the last 5 years, and I really think the quality/reliability of their handhelds started going downhill right about then. Re: my best friend's horrendous Zire 72 experience, and a co-worker's giving up on his cheap Zire 21 (no longer made) after constant crashing problems with it.

And their latest smartphone is an unlocked $500 phone that no phone company will Officially support (and there's not a huge market for $500 phones right now). icon_confused

I mean, don't get me started. Oh I have. All my Palm nostalgia went up like *that*.  disgust
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 02:01:51 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 05:17:53 PM »

I've been a Palm user since 1999.  First a IIIx and now my Tungsten E.  For a while I've felt like I'm the only one in the world who still has a non-phone PDA.

I love the simplicity of Palm (in theory) but I am coming to terms with the fact that my next device will be either a mini-Windows thing or a PDA/phone thing.  Ah well.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2008, 08:52:07 AM »

i just now remember that i had a Handspring Visor for a while - a friend gave it to me. i think i sold it to someone? i definitely remember buying a basic Palm Zire in August of 2003 for waaay too much money... it had a $20 rebate, but Palm was clearing those out to make way for the 21 model. i remember being really mad that there were only two directional buttons on the front, which made playing most games impossible. finally got fed up with it and sold it to someone a few years ago, after another friend gave me their Treo 650. that phone still sits in a box, as i could never get it to sync with my PC properly....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: