http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 01:03:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacked at the Olympics (Or: Why the press is useless)  (Read 565 times)
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2014, 03:02:33 PM »

I am sure everyone has seen the NBC News video about visitors to the olympics being hacked immediately.

I saw the video, read a couple of the articles talking about it and didn't believe it was that easy. NBC News is selling the idea that if you must bring electronics to Russia, remove all important data from them because you will be hacked. Really? They make it look like just logging on to your computer in Russia will allow it to be hacked.

Someone on Twitter linked to this Reddit comment on the story. Turns out they installed an odd virus detector on the Mac Air. Opened a phishing email on the Windows machine, and ran a setup program on the Android phone. An iPhone wouldn't be hacked so easily since it's locked down.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 03:30:54 PM »

I love these reports of hacking by mainstream media.  reminds me of this:

and the subsequent freak out when the box gets smashed.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 04:53:39 PM »

Yup, to the technologically adept, the actual news story is that you'll be subjected to targeted attacks over there. Unless your computer is filled with some rather serious security loopholes, you still need to actively do something to let the attackers in.

Targeted attacks are newsworthy enough, but the article is very misleading as it is.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 06:38:07 PM »

I'd be a helluva lot more worried about the reports that bathrooms where the press are staying warn them to not flush used toilet paper and instead put it in the trashcan by the toilet. puke

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 08:24:45 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 06, 2014, 04:53:39 PM

Yup, to the technologically adept, the actual news story is that you'll be subjected to targeted attacks over there. Unless your computer is filled with some rather serious security loopholes, you still need to actively do something to let the attackers in.

Targeted attacks are newsworthy enough, but the article is very misleading as it is.

Agree that the title is misleading but let me assure you, it's not that hard to get access into any device regardless of the software that's running on it (even you, Apple) if you really want to.

The only 'active' thing you need to do is be on a network that someone has already compromised.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 08:47:12 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 06, 2014, 06:38:07 PM

I'd be a helluva lot more worried about the reports that bathrooms where the press are staying warn them to not flush used toilet paper and instead put it in the trashcan by the toilet. puke

Best you don't travel to Central or South America as that is standard there due to their sewer system designs.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 09:25:52 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on February 06, 2014, 08:47:12 PM

Best you don't travel to Central or South America as that is standard there due to their sewer system designs.

It's the same in some southern European countries, in particular those that consist of islands. That's always the worst part of vacationing in those regions.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 02:31:40 AM »

Most countries don't have the high pressure sewer lines that we have in the US, so yes, the above is completely true.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 04:31:42 AM »

Blog post about the story. Turns out it happened in Moscow, not Sochi.

The first comment to the blog, referencing how he opened the Mac Air, is amusing as well (at least to the Apple community). Engel just rips open the box like a cereal box. Airs come in a rather high quality, thick paper boxes that opens like a shoe box.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 08:28:10 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 07, 2014, 02:31:40 AM

Most countries don't have the high pressure sewer lines that we have in the US, so yes, the above is completely true.

wat?

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 08:39:21 AM »

I read this story as, "NBC News again shows its inability to report on applied tech and science news."
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 12:27:37 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 07, 2014, 08:28:10 AM

Quote from: Destructor on February 07, 2014, 02:31:40 AM

wat?

Is true, i have been to parts of France, Cyprus, Greece, turkey, most of Africa,  all have put the paper in the bin not down the loo. Not so true of northern Europe or UK. It is to do with the size of the sewer pipes, they get blocked as they are very small.

My parents lived in cyprus for 15 years and when they came back to live in the Uk they love being able to flush the loo paper again.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 12:42:35 PM »

I've been to France, Italy, Spain as well, and every single place we put the paper in the toilet as per usual? Africa I can understand, but most European countries have pretty good waste systems. Hell, the Romans had running water over 2000 years ago ;-)

Never been to Greece nor Cyprus (Always wanted, though! so much history there!) but haven't heard anything like that before.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 01:10:57 PM »

As I mentioned above, it's mostly the islands where you have to use the bin. This includes Cyprus, where I was as late as 2 1/2 years ago.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 02:09:07 PM »

Kyle Wilhoit's, the security expert in the video, blog post on the subject.

While he doesn't say anything we don't already know, he does seem to realize the piece NBC showed was edited it make it worse than it was.

Second, these attacks could happen anywhere. They would not just happen in Moscow, nor did it require us to be in Moscow. Whether those attacks occur while you are sitting in a coffee shop in Berlin, or your home in Tokyo, these types of attacks can and do occur, on a worldwide scale.

Finally, to reiterate, while all three devices looked like they had been compromised with no user interactions that was just not the case. Incorrect impressions may have been formed due to the editing process; no zero-days were used and all infections required plenty of risky behavior to succeed.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 04:26:49 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on February 06, 2014, 08:47:12 PM

Totally dependent on where you are.  I have been all over Mexico and never had that issue.  Costa Rica nope.  Parts of Guatemala that was the case but not all of it.

morlac00 on PSN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: