http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 10:15:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guns...need info / suggestions...lets talk guns and accessories  (Read 4465 times)
Thin_J
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2010, 06:04:56 PM »

I'm already settled on a rifle. If I do a handgun it will be later.

I like the idea of the dedicated .22 upper for the AR quite a lot though. It means using the same form, controls, sight, and dealling with the same weight as I'd use when shooting the actual 5.56 upper.

Plus the barrel comes pre-threaded. When I wanted to get the supressor I could just get a nice flashhider/suppressor combo from AAC, thread the sucker on there, and be on my merry way.

If I do the 10/22 I'd have to buy a whole new barrel specifically for that purpose and then take the whole damn gun apart to change it out.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2010, 06:05:26 PM »

I have the Mossberg 500, 18" Barrel with 3" Magnum OO buck. It will put down a charging bull.  nod
Cheap and effective.

I also have a .45 XD with 4" Tactical

As the Terminator shopkeeper stated, "Any one of these is perfect for home defense, which one will it be?"

I'd rather have my own personal ED-209 and claymores, but this will have to do.  icon_lol

Also, 22s have virtually no stopping power. It may eventually kill someone, but it won't stop a crackhead. Heck, a Tazer would be more useful.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 06:11:01 PM by DamageInc » Logged

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2010, 06:15:10 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on February 23, 2010, 06:05:26 PM

Also, 22s have virtually no stopping power. It may eventually kill someone, but it won't stop a crackhead. Heck, a Tazer would be more useful.

No one here said using a .22 as a defensive weapon was a good idea. I don't think such a thing has even been mentioned.

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2010, 06:19:51 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on February 23, 2010, 06:15:10 PM

Quote from: DamageInc on February 23, 2010, 06:05:26 PM

No one here said using a .22 as a defensive weapon was a good idea. I don't think such a thing has even been mentioned.

Funny, I don't remember quoting anyone on that.  icon_razz
People were discussing 22s so I figured I would throw that in.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2010, 06:24:59 PM »

I guess I have a tendency to assume people know that, which is probably bad.

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »

I grew up around guns and would love a shotgun for protection, but I am more scared of having a gun in the house than an intruder because of my little kids.

My dad (an antique gun collector) did a great job making me feel comfortable around guns that I never felt the curiosity to play with them on my own. He had a gun room with hundreds of old to new weapons (from blunderbuss to WWII rifles). He taught me safety and said "If you ever want to look or use the guns, just tell me and you can see them whenever you want." It was a pretty smart approach, but I don't think I can be that smart with my own kids.

Actually on reflection, the only stupid thing I used to do is play with the broadswords and bayonets when I started getting into fantasy biggrin (ok, ok, I also put on the old rusty chainmail too!)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 06:50:14 PM by Jag » Logged
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2010, 07:05:03 PM »

Tazer is the best idea I've heard in this thread.  Get something less lethal, especially if you aren't used to firearms, and think you need to get something to protect yourself (which I think sets a certain mindset that makes it more likely that an accident will occur.)

Also, this is all academic... I'll be surprised if an actual purchase occurs.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2010, 07:08:20 PM »

have you thought about getting a crotch pistol?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2010, 07:17:31 PM »

okay hep, ill bite...

how do you fire a crotch pistol?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2010, 07:25:58 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on February 23, 2010, 07:17:31 PM

okay hep, ill bite...

f'ing carefully, i would say.

i wouldn't know, though.  i have a crotch rifle.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2010, 08:45:15 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on February 23, 2010, 07:17:31 PM

okay hep, ill bite...

Firing's easy.  But the recoil . . .

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
loc-nar
Welcome to Gaming Trend

My balls. Look.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2010, 10:54:47 PM »

Daehawk,

Here's an awesome opinion article from newspaper I trust.  It may help you decide.

http://www.theonion.com/content/opinion/i_bought_an_awesome_gun_that?utm_source=onion_rss_daily

Evidently no one likes a quitter
or an old punk's bitterness
So I'm waiting for a tap on the shoulder
Because we're all getting older, not better
And the laughs are no longer with us
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2010, 11:56:18 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on February 23, 2010, 05:38:13 PM

May I recommend a Ruger .22? They feel great, are easy to shoot, fairly cheap depending on where you get them, and if you get the silver model it looks like a .44 Auto Mag smile

I may skip the pistol in the end. I do want a shotgun and may join the NRA to boot

I want a shotgun because of the many load types. I can use bird/rat shot for these rats and such. I can use buckshot for protection. Maybe even beanbags. I do not want to shoot anyone no. And I do funny enough have a taped up axe handle under my mattress. But after 2 very late visits from people the last 2 nights claiming to be pizza..which I didn't order and someone else, the stick seems kinda useless. I want something they will hear when I "cha-chunk" it .
I have a Ruger .22 pistol.  It is a great plinking gun.  .22 is dirt cheap to shoot.  Plus the Ruger .22 grip angle is quite a bit like a 1911 so it is a cheap stand in practice gun.   I also have  XDM .40 S&W which I love.  It is a great gun and very easy to clean, as someone mentioned above.

If you are looking for a shotgun., you could do worse than an Mossberg 500. It has lots of aftermarket accessories available.  If I were you, I'd get one with a full stock and not the pistol grip.  If you planning to shoot anything past 10 yards, the full stock will be much better. You can buy full stocks with pistol grips which is what I put on my Mossberg 930SPX.  A Remington 8670 wouldnt be a bad choice either. They are pretty cheap and reliable. Whatever you decide, be safe and have fun.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2010, 12:50:54 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on February 23, 2010, 05:38:13 PM

I want something they will hear when I "cha-chunk" it .

You, know, that alone may help...you dont even need to have it loaded....
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2010, 01:15:36 AM »

Quote from: kratz on February 23, 2010, 03:43:01 PM

You think someone is going to break in and steal your Pentium 75?  Why don't you take the money and pipe hot water to your kitchen?

Why do you think you suddenly need all this firepower?

LOL!!!!! Awesome
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2010, 06:34:14 PM »

Quote from: kratz on February 23, 2010, 07:05:03 PM

Tazer is the best idea I've heard in this thread.  Get something less lethal, especially if you aren't used to firearms, and think you need to get something to protect yourself (which I think sets a certain mindset that makes it more likely that an accident will occur.)

Also, this is all academic... I'll be surprised if an actual purchase occurs.

You can buy beanbag rounds for your shotgun. Tazers are very hard to use at range and on moving targets. Plus, you only get one shot.
It does however, have more stopping power than a .22  icon_lol (I am pretty sure you can't even get one outside of law enforcement)

I definitely agree with the "accident is more likely to occur" which is why anyone that has a gun should get training and practice regularly.
It is one thing to shoot at targets in a semi-comfortable environment then it is to wake up in the middle of the night, adrenaline at full blast, and trying to accurately fire a weapon.

In a panic situation you will fall back on training and "muscle memory" if you have been prepared.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2010, 08:14:52 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 24, 2010, 01:15:36 AM

Quote from: kratz on February 23, 2010, 03:43:01 PM

You think someone is going to break in and steal your Pentium 75?  Why don't you take the money and pipe hot water to your kitchen?

Why do you think you suddenly need all this firepower?

LOL!!!!! Awesome

No worries..fixing hot water, faucet, and about everything else soon.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2010, 01:21:22 AM »

Well barring a pawn shop Gun I've settled on the Mossy 500 Tactical with pistol grip and buttstock combo. I will also get a ammo holder for the side and a good light to fit on it. That should be good enough. And it will have bird shot ammo for it. Not decided on black matte or chrome. I like the chrome but Im sure it costs more and would be harder to keep clean and such. Now waiting on my damn money. My first regular check comes March 3rd but thats not for spending on anything but bills.

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2010, 05:34:53 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on February 25, 2010, 01:21:22 AM

Well barring a pawn shop Gun I've settled on the Mossy 500 Tactical with pistol grip and buttstock combo. I will also get a ammo holder for the side and a good light to fit on it. That should be good enough. And it will have bird shot ammo for it. Not decided on black matte or chrome. I like the chrome but Im sure it costs more and would be harder to keep clean and such. Now waiting on my damn money. My first regular check comes March 3rd but thats not for spending on anything but bills.

Nice, yeah I got the Black Matte finish. I bought it new at a gun show (from a local gun dealer that had a booth) and it came with a flashlight and laser sight mounted.
Shick shick, plus the laser sighting should make people run and the flashlight helps to blind people at night.

Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2010, 06:30:07 PM »

The Mossberg is a great shotgun, I have had one for a long time & love it.   Be aware of the ammo you are shooting, you want enough power to stop an intruder, however its easy to go from that to shooting the people sleeping in the next room. Remember, most of a wall is empty space, buck shot will go right through it.

Spend time in a shooting range, take your wife.  You both need to be familiar with the weapon.  Its also good to put kids through gun safety courses.  My dad first took me shooting when I was 7, mainly to give me proper respect for firearms.

And lastly, the issue of household safety, both from intruders (hence the shotgun) and from kids messing around.  You need to consider how you are going to secure your gun in a way that kids can't accidentally shoot themselves yet allows you to get to the weapon when you really need it.
RuperT
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2010, 08:00:55 PM »

Can't argue with a shottie for home defense!
This is my pocket rocket (I'm also getting the .22 barrel for it):
Bond Arms Texas Defender .45/410

Live: MooseFoe
PSN: Rupyrt
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2010, 08:18:20 PM »

Quote from: RuperT on February 25, 2010, 08:00:55 PM

Can't argue with a shottie for home defense!
This is my pocket rocket (I'm also getting the .22 barrel for it):
Bond Arms Texas Defender .45/410

great gun to have when patrons at the saloon start getting all grabby with you, Ms. Kitty.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2010, 08:39:54 PM »

I still find the idea of firing a .410 shotgun round out of a gun that tiny with that little grip to be completely insane.

Oh, and Dae? The world is filled with stories of people who get shot with birdshot, get up, and walk around afterward. A news story circulated here a while back where two crooks broke into a guy's house, the old homeowner shot both of them with his shotgun, and they proceeded to get back up and beat him to death. He used birdshot and they were wearing layers of winter clothing. Both bad guys got relatively mild surface flesh wounds with pretty much zero penetration.

Of course you can find the same story about a guy who used buckshot and then got killed because the two burglars were wearing body armor. The odds on that one still seem insane to me, but there you go.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:43:35 PM by Thin_J » Logged

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2010, 09:11:53 PM »

Since we're at the "show off your guns" phase of the thread, here are mine:

Ruger P89 9mm

Norinco 9mm copy of the Russian Tokarev pistol

While they are both the same size, the Norinco is noticeably thinner but weighs more since it's pretty much all metal compared to the Ruger's use of lighter materials.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:15:36 PM by Sarkus » Logged

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2010, 09:19:27 PM »

A co-worker of mine has a P89. I wasn't a huge fan of the ergonomics but it shot pretty well. Solid gun!

Ah, if we're going to put up pictures, might as well join the fun. I only have pictures of three things on the photobucket account, but they're the important ones anyway.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:33:56 PM by Thin_J » Logged

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2010, 10:07:04 PM »

No kids to worry about. i dont think our dogs can figure them out smile

I have two guns already. From my childhood when I'd go hunting with dad I have my Stevens 410 single shot shotty. I would not hunt an animal now for anything. but i've been using and around guns since I was 4.

I also have my late father-n-law's and before that his dad's .22 revolver. A Rohm. ya not great guns by any means. Explains why i cant hit a rat at 2 yards with it. But it is a nice looking weapon.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2010, 10:13:10 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on February 25, 2010, 10:07:04 PM

but i've been using and around guns since I was 4.

that must have been one tough daycare center!

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2010, 11:28:38 PM »

Another vote for the XD40.  GREAT great pistol.  Perfect for carrying, self-defense, nightstand.  Pull the trigger and it goes BOOM.

I also own a Glock 23 (4 inch .40 cal) but do not really like it due to the lack of a true safety.  It's my nightstand gun.  The XD's have a grip safety and some versions have a thumb safety.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:31:04 PM by Greggy_D » Logged
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2010, 12:22:18 AM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on February 25, 2010, 11:28:38 PM

The XD's have a grip safety and some versions have a thumb safety.

This is the exact reason i went with the XD line.... glocks feel unsafe to me....

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2010, 12:22:54 AM »

Is that what appears to be an XBOX controller cable running next to that assault rifle (AR15?)?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2010, 01:44:12 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on February 26, 2010, 12:22:18 AM

glocks feel unsafe to me....

To a small degree they are for a newbie.  I wouldn't recommend them to the novice carrier.  Anything that gets in that trigger area is gonna pull it back.  A grip safety removes this concern in 99.999% of the situations.  Throw in a thumb safety and you are extra golden.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2010, 02:32:15 AM »

Ive also decided I want the tri-ring rail and a Surefire G2 light for the Mossy 500.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2010, 03:11:28 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 26, 2010, 12:22:54 AM

Is that what appears to be an XBOX controller cable running next to that assault rifle (AR15?)?

Yeah. I was installing the grip and changing out the extractor spring that night. My computer desk is the easiest place to do it. It's well lit and it's a very deep desk so it's a good space for stuff like that. Generally if I'm cleaning my handguns I'm probably sitting at my computer desk listening to a podcast.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2010, 04:06:18 AM »

Well I dont have pics of my guns so Ill post pics of what I plan to buy... smile

The gun..settled on black matte

A tri-ring rail

Which looks like this on at the end of the tube

A Surefire G2 light. Not sure what mount I need to fit it on the tri-rail

And finally a side saddle ammo holder. not sure I want one on the butt stock

May or may not get a 2 point sling, and either a reflex sight or laser pointer. Doubt either one. The light should be fine for home use.

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2010, 05:41:31 AM »

Why put a laser on a shotgun?  other than the ability to tell the bad guy "hey see that rot dot, you are going to have a shit load of holes all around there"....

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2010, 05:59:25 AM »

I'm pretty sure that tactical shotguns, pistol grip stock, are illegal in Cali. They look cool and I would get one but I ain't going to pound me in the ass prison.  icon_lol

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2010, 06:12:35 AM »

Hey check out this gun safe..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YLgbtw48Ys&feature=pyv&ad=2227477234&kw=gun&gclid=CNvUjvOmj6ACFVl35Qodainufg

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2010, 06:12:49 AM »

Quote from: hispanicgamer on February 26, 2010, 05:59:25 AM

I'm pretty sure that tactical shotguns, pistol grip stock, are illegal in Cali. They look cool and I would get one but I ain't going to pound me in the ass prison.  icon_lol

There are things that aren't illegal in California?

I'm kidding, at least partially. But seriously.. about half the stuff in my safe is illegal in Cali.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2010, 06:39:12 AM »

I just noticed the 2 Mossbergs Ive been looking at are not standard 500s. I was thinking these cost about $300 but these cost about $600. I wont pay that for a shotgun. Does anyone know a tactical Mossy in the $300 range?

EDIT : no wait..the 500 tactical Persuader is around $300..wth.

Look at these 3 guns and the pricing..strange they are so much alike yet cost so much different...

500 Tactical Persuader around $350

500 SPX around $600

590A1 around $630 (one I really wanted frown )
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 06:46:28 AM by Daehawk » Logged

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »

I despise shotguns with a retractable stock shoehorned onto them. It serves no purpose whatsoever unless you're going to wear body armor and need the shortened stock, and given that is a useless raise of the price.

And Dae, the price difference covers a lot more than just the add-ons you can see. The 590 A1 is essentially the shotgun the military orders, though I'm pretty sure theirs comes with a normal stock.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: