http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 02:15:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guns...need info / suggestions...lets talk guns and accessories  (Read 4466 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2010, 04:44:43 AM »

I 'may'...or may not...decide to purchase a couple guns for protection. One will be a pump shotgun for home use. I would prefer a short type..perhaps a pistol griip type...must be a pump action though. The second gun would be a automatic pistol. For this I will be interested in a carry permit also. 9mm, 40 , 45...something in that area.

I'm looking for accuracy, power, and price in both the gun and the ammo. I will now begin my online search into this. Keep in mind this will most likely be a pawn shop purchase so nothing rare or super high end please.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:44:05 AM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 04:50:14 AM »

Here comes The Judge.

PSN ID: EduardoX
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 04:53:57 AM »

This can only go well.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 04:59:38 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on February 23, 2010, 04:50:14 AM

Here comes The Judge.

Number 4 shot at 8 feet would prove an effective load for legged or legless threats.

icon_biggrin

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 05:04:15 AM »

I personally can't see buying anything I plan on depending on for my life from a pawn shop.  If you were just getting something for weekend target shooting, maybe.  Going to a good gun store, seeing what they have in stock, and talking to the clerk is probably your best bet.  I know we have a couple around here with indoor ranges so you can try out pretty much anything they have before you buy it.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 05:10:22 AM »

Well theres a real nice store out in Benton.

http://www.bentonshooters.com/

Was looking at a couple Mossbergs. Not sure if it would be best to go for a full stock with pistol grip or just the tactical pistol grip type. it is just for indoor use in case of break in. I do not hunt these days.

These are based off the model 500.

The 6 shot capacity is kinda worrisome. Bit they are 18" barrels.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 05:26:13 AM »

Quote from: gellar on February 23, 2010, 04:53:57 AM

This can only go well.

TTIWWP.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 05:27:13 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on February 23, 2010, 05:10:22 AM

Was looking at a couple Mossbergs. Not sure if it would be best to go for a full stock with pistol grip or just the tactical pistol grip type. it is just for indoor use in case of break in. I do not hunt these days.

.... and queue the "I just scraped wild-cat guts off my kitchen ceiling" threads.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 05:29:21 AM »

The SPAS-12 works pretty well at killing bad guys in MW2  ninja

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 05:55:21 AM »

Quote from: gellar on February 23, 2010, 04:53:57 AM

This can only go well.

Indeed sir!
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 06:23:42 AM »

I have nothing but good things to say about mossberg shotguns... my roommate has a 500A used primarily for skeet shooting... but it is a very good good with little to no maintance (except cleaning)...

As for suggestions for the OP....

Shotgun is good for home... be careful on what you load it with if you live in close proximity to neighbors or live in a duplex/ apartment (you don't want rifled slugs which will penetrate multiple walls).....

As for the pistol...

avoid hi-points... if its not a name brand you recognize don't buy it... Personally I have a springfield XD 9 which will run you 450 new... glocks are ok... sigs are good... I would avoid purchasing at a pawn shop..... find a reputable dealer in your area who sells used guns if that is what you are looking for... that or look for a local gun show (knew what you want if you go to a show... it will save you a lot of time and money)

Next consideration would be deciding what size you want... Go with what is comfortable in your hand, but keep in mind if you get your carry permit you have to be able to fully conceal it.  I would recommend a compact or a sub compact.  Depending on the gun you purchase, you may be able to get magazines that have extended grips on them.  Having a subcompact with grip extensions works well if you want to carry in an ankle holster but your hands are too big to otherwise comfortably control a subcompact.... (my pinky hangs off the bottom of subcompacts making the weird to shoot without extenders... I attached a picture of what it looks like with the extenders...)

Ammo.... is expensive and it sucks balls to buy unless you are buying a .22..... thats just the way it is... I would buy one box of hollow points and hope you never need to buy another.  Target ammo can be picked up at walmart or a gun shop... personally a $20 box of ammo at walmart for 100 is the way to go.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 06:25:53 AM by papasmurff » Logged

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 06:31:49 AM »

Try and hold several different handguns/shotguns. You want something comfortable so don't base solely on other peoples impressions everyone's hands are different. You could also try going to a range that rents out guns so you can actually shoot the specific gun or something similar. I have heard great things about the new Springfield XD series. I haven't personally tried one though, I would like to.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 06:36:38 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on February 23, 2010, 06:31:49 AM

Try and hold several different handguns/shotguns. You want something comfortable so don't base solely on other peoples impressions everyone's hands are different. You could also try going to a range that rents out guns so you can actually shoot the specific gun or something similar. I have heard great things about the new Springfield XD series. I haven't personally tried one though, I would like to.

you are absolutely right... guns feel different in different hands.  Also another thing to look at when purchasing a hand gun are the sights... do you get a good sight picture.  I shot a glock the other day and absolutely hated the sights...

XD's are great guns... as I have said, I have one and love it.  It is easy to take apart and clean (another issue to consider) and it shoots well.  I think i have had 1 failure to eject a spent casing and it was because a friend had a limp grip... I have probably put close to 2000 rounds in it...

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 08:49:14 AM »

I have a friend who just got an XD9 and he says he is very happy with it.  

However, I don't get the impression that Daehawk is planning to spend that kind of coin if he's talking about pawn shop selection.  I'd recommend that he go look at the local gun shop and see what they have used, then come back and do a bit of research on the net for the ones that look the most interesting.  Depending on what he's planning to do with the gun, cheapo and/or used isn't always a bad choice.  Some cheap guns are actually decent enough for infrequent use as long as the previous owner didn't wear them out.  For example, I have a very cheap chinese made 9mm I got used from a gun dealer years ago that actually has a decent reputation.

And I'd also echo that you need to handle a pistol to get a sense of whether it will work for you.  I have a Ruger P89 that I got last fall that I really like, but I've heard that a lot of people consider it too bulky in size.  But for my larger hands, it's great.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:51:38 AM by Sarkus » Logged

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 09:40:03 AM »

A 2-handed warhammer tends to discourage people as well...

A new one
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 01:00:51 PM »

If you need more than six shots you're in big enough trouble that owning a gun isn't going to save you. And if you should ever end up in a defensive situation and actually use all six shots you're far likelier to end up in jail than you are anything else.

Your instincts are otherwise solid. A pump shotty in 12 or 20 gauge is ideal, but only if everyone that might have need of said gun can use it comfortably. If there's any chance your wife might have to go for the shotgun on her own, make sure she's comfortable with whatever you get.

And for handguns, as a shooter, god I love the 1911. So far I've owned a Glock 17, H&K P30 (standard, not longslide), a CZ75 SP-01, and some 1911's. The only handguns I still have are the CZ and two 1911's. I have a standard (Springfield TRP) size and a commander length with the shorter barrel (Sig). I'm actually going pretty soon for my concealed carry class, so I plan to sell/trade the sig locally and put the money toward a subcompact 9mm.

But of all the handguns I've shot the 1911 is by far the easiest to shoot quickly and accurately. Plus, you know, the single action trigger just can't be beat by any of the DA/SA or even LEM options in all the more common semi-auto stuff on the market.

The people saying everyone's different are absolutely right though. Just try walking into a gunshop and getting a feel for what's most comfortable, then if you can find a range that lets you rent the models you like. Having a good comfortable grip is one thing. Shooting comfortably is something else entirely.

And lastly, if you're going to get a gun, secure it. Get a safe. Don't get some bullshit cabinet with a padlock on it that someone can break into with a prybar. Get a real honest to god safe, and research the various safe companies beforehand. Some of the cheap crappy ones can be opened by two people simply by tipping the safe flat onto its back on the ground and prying the door open from the corners. If you stick with just a handgun and don't think you'll ever buy another and absolutely can't afford a bigger safe, buy a small, heavy gauge steel safe that can be mounted and find some place out of sight to put it. Don't put it on the top shelf in your closet or in your nightstand. Don't be the douche who donates his firearms to the gangbangers that broke in while you were at work.

If that all sounds like too much hassle then guns probably aren't for you. Buy a baseball bat and lean it next to the headboard.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 01:22:24 PM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 02:37:54 PM »

Just like Thin_J, I have 2 1911s and CZ-75.  How about that!    icon_smile

You really need to decide how often you plan on carrying.  If you're going to carry every day then get a carry gun.  If you're going to carry occasionally, then get a gun that you love to shoot.  Carrying every day is a major lifestyle change, so think long and hard before going down that route.  And if you decide to do that, do it right and don't just see what the pawn shop has to offer you.  It's not a cheap endeavor, so don't skimp.  Even the IWB holster can run north of $100.

Your primary reason for picking a gun should be how comfortable you feel shooting the gun.  A gun that doesn't fit your hand right or that you have trouble acquiring a sight picture is not a gun you want to use for protection.  Certain guns fit certain people and only experimentation will let you know what gun is right for you.  For me the perfect gun is a 5" 1911.  It's slim, carries the .45 ACP round (my favorite round), points as naturally as can be, and has a trigger that can't be beat.  For others it might not be right, just like Glocks and HKs don't feel right to me. 

Instead of recommending a brand of gun, I'd only recommend features.  For example, if you are truly going to carry every day, then your gun does not even need sights.  Sights are for target ranges and not for defensive situations.  If you ever need to pull your gun and fire at a bad guy, you probably won't need to look down the barrel because the guy is going to be about 5'-10' away as he's running at you.  If you have time to line up your sights and pull the trigger then you probably don't need to shoot this person.  Another feature is weight.  If you're going to carry a lot then you might want a polymer frame to reduce the weight. 

Once you find a gun you like to shoot, the odds are pretty good that the gun can easily be carried.  Most automatics can easily be worn behind the hip.  You don't need a small gun for carry.  That's a common misconception. 

As for caliber, buy the biggest caliber you feel comfortable shooting.  This too will depend on the gun as I've seen many polymer 9mm guns that kick more than my steel-framed .45s.  The advantage of 9mm is that you can carry a few more rounds, but as has been mentioned before, if you need more than 6 rounds you're doing it wrong. 

I'm a big proponent of the 2nd amendment, but carrying a concealed weapon requires a lifestyle change that most don't want to deal with.  I came "this" close to getting my CCW license.  I bought a gun that I thought would be great for concealed carry.  When I decided that I'd never go through the hassle of actually carrying the gun, I was left with a "carry gun" that I never shot because it wasn't as fun to shoot as my other guns. 
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 03:39:43 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on February 23, 2010, 02:37:54 PM

Just like Thin_J, I have 2 1911s and CZ-75.  How about that!    icon_smile

thumbsup

Quote from: McNutt
For me the perfect gun is a 5" 1911.  It's slim, carries the .45 ACP round (my favorite round), points as naturally as can be, and has a trigger that can't be beat.  For others it might not be right, just like Glocks and HKs don't feel right to me.

Brother!

Truthfully, I may be selling or trading one of the 1911's sometime. I don't currently own a .22 and that feels like a weird hole in my collection. I want a 10/22 or maybe a dedicated .22 upper for my AR. Whichever of those I do I'll probably go all in and get on the ATF's eyeball forever list and get a supressor for it too. Plinking with no ear protection would be pretty great.

Course if one of them goes, it'll be the commander length sig. The trigger is chunky compared to the Springfield, it doesn't shoot as nice, and I don't like that the nonstandard slide makes finding a holster troublesome.

The Springfield will stay with me until the day I die.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 03:43:01 PM »

You think someone is going to break in and steal your Pentium 75?  Why don't you take the money and pipe hot water to your kitchen?

Why do you think you suddenly need all this firepower?
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 03:48:16 PM »

I feel the same way about my 1911s.  My 4" Springfield is a good gun, but given the choice, I'd prefer to shoot my 5" Dan Wesson 1911.  That is the gun I will pass down when I die. 
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 03:49:24 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on February 23, 2010, 03:48:16 PM

I feel the same way about my 1911s.  My 4" Springfield is a good gun, but given the choice, I'd prefer to shoot my 5" Dan Wesson 1911.  That is the gun I will pass down when I die. 

Which Dan Wesson do you have?

I've kind of dreamed of a Valor for a long time now, but have pretty much given up on ever even seeing one.

Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 03:52:28 PM »

First I would find a good local range and go take a handgun safety course. Good places will include an hour or so of supervised shooting on their range as a part of the class (although you'll have to pay for your ammo). This will give you a chance to fire a few different guns and at least get a feel for some things you like and don't like. It will also make sure you're going about doing things the right way.

Secondly realize that shooting is a skill that will deteriorate with time. With that in mind, you have to occasionally go and shoot whatever gun you choose. Over time the shooting becomes far more expensive than the initial buying of the gun - so stretch your budget a little to get the right gun for you if you have to. Far better to get a gun that is right for you and takes less practice to be effective with than have to spend hundreds of dollars on range fees and ammo learning to shoot a gun that doesn't give you a natural sight picture to work with.

My personal thoughts on caliber are that anything 9mm or larger is just fine for self defense purposes. If your 9mm isn't getting the job done a .45 probably wouldn't either. Given the price differences, I'd rather be shooting a 9mm that I can practice with more often and be more accurate with than a .45 I can't afford to shoot! (That being said, a .45 is somewhere in my future because I think I will eventually pick up a 1911).

If you're going to use a hollowpoint for home defense, buy two boxes of it. Take one box to the range and shoot it in the gun you bought to make sure it feeds properly and there are *zero* malfunctions. Never rely on a round you've never fired in *your* gun for the defense of you and your family!

I bought a Sig 229 and love it. As an example of what a difference even small things in a gun can make, I shot both the 229 and the 226 back to back on the same day, and was significantly more accurate with the 229. It just fit my hand a little better and was a much better natural shooter for me. But all the major manufacturers make good handguns that are reliable. You need to find what is right for you.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 03:52:53 PM »

Quote from: kratz on February 23, 2010, 03:43:01 PM

You think someone is going to break in and steal your Pentium 75?  Why don't you take the money and pipe hot water to your kitchen?

he's got to defend himself against feral cats.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 03:57:27 PM »

I have a blued Dan Wesson Patriot that I bought about six years ago.  I got lucky and bought it before CZ acquired them.  Since then their prices have gone way up.  My Patriot cost about $700 which seems like a freakin' steal nowadays.  I've fired thousands of rounds through that gun and it hasn't jammed once, even with hollowpoints.  I've shot guns that I thought were its equal, but those guns cost a lot more, like the Kimber Gold Match or Springfield TRP.  It also has a 3lb trigger pull that is unbelievable, but probably too light a pull for carry.  My Patriot feels like it was custom made for my hand.  Great gun.

I haven't seen a Valor in stores, but on the website it looks great.  I also like that they're removing front cocking serrations on their 1911s.  Mine has them and that's the one thing I'd change.  
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 04:00:17 PM »

I want to see what they're going to put out for next year's 100th anniversary model of the 1911.  I'm sure it won't be cheap.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 04:01:57 PM »

Quote from: Crux on February 23, 2010, 03:52:28 PM

If you're going to use a hollowpoint for home defense, buy two boxes of it. Take one box to the range and shoot it in the gun you bought to make sure it feeds properly and there are *zero* malfunctions. Never rely on a round you've never fired in *your* gun for the defense of you and your family!

Word

But all the major manufacturers make good handguns that are reliable.

This is a good point too.  Even the guns I've shot that I didn't like were still very reliable guns.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 04:04:40 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on February 23, 2010, 03:57:27 PM

I've shot guns that I thought were its equal, but those guns cost a lot more, like the Kimber Gold Match or Springfield TRP.  It also has a 3lb trigger pull that is unbelievable, but probably too light a pull for carry.  My Patriot feels like it was custom made for my hand.  Great gun.

I haven't seen a Valor in stores, but on the website it looks great.  I also like that they're removing front cocking serrations on their 1911s.  Mine has them and that's the one thing I'd change.  

Yeah, I paid $1200 for my TRP. At first it burns a little to pay that for a handgun when that's almost what I put into an extremely high quality AR-15 and more than twice what I paid for my heavy barrel Remington 700, but the TRP has absolutely been worth the price to me. Like you, I do wish it didn't have the front cocking serrations though. That's the one thing I'll give the Smith & Wesson I originally had, it looked just a wee bit nicer than the TRP because it didn't have those front serrations.

The Valor is just.. that's everything I want from a 1911. The finish is right, the part selection is right, it's just... all there. When they were new they were selling for about $1100, so the price isn't really out of line with competing brands. Unfortunately I'll probably never even see one, much less have the opportunity to buy. They build/built them in extremely limited quantities.

*edit*

Ah! Yeah, Crux is spot on about ammo choice. Guns can be odd about ammo selection. Sometimes you'll have a gun that feeds everything you throw at it and another of the same model gun will be finicky and not like something. It's always fixable if you know what you're doing or have a gunsmith you can take it to, but usually it's just easier to switch ammo.

tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 04:10:48 PM »

Irony = When the guns you bought to protect your stuff are really the only stuff you have that would be worth stealing in the first place.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 04:18:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 23, 2010, 03:52:53 PM

Quote from: kratz on February 23, 2010, 03:43:01 PM

You think someone is going to break in and steal your Pentium 75?  Why don't you take the money and pipe hot water to your kitchen?

he's got to defend himself against feral cats.

Maybe it's to defend against the rodent infestation in his house?  In which case, I'd get a terrier instead.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2010, 04:25:23 PM »

Quote from: tiktokman on February 23, 2010, 04:10:48 PM

Irony = When the guns you bought to protect your stuff are really the only stuff you have that would be worth stealing in the first place.

While I do see the humor in this, I imagine he considers himself and his family to be worth more than the gun.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2010, 04:34:11 PM »

Quote from: tiktokman on February 23, 2010, 04:10:48 PM

This is sort of silly and sort of true all at once. You should never own a firearm with the intention of keeping someone from stealing your TV. It should only be about preventing someone from harming you or your family.

I'm not going to shoot somebody with my 12 gauge because they're taking my TV. I'm going to call the cops, hole up in my bedroom, lock the door, and aim at said door, tell the operator I'm doing so, and stay there until the police arrive and clear my house for me. Only an idiot goes stalking through his whole house after he knows someone has broken in. If you have family, go where you have to go to get them gathered together, and hide. Lock the door, call the police, and wait. You don't know who's trying to take your stuff, what kind of person or people they might be, how many of them there might be, how well armed they are, or anything else. Your posessions aren't worth risking an armed confrontation. That's what insurance is for.

Legally, being in Kentucky, I could go Rambo on pretty much anybody that breaks into my house no matter what they're doing as long as I catch them inside the house. But you have to remember there's more to it than just the law. Just because something is legally allowed doesn't mean the right (or wrong, depending on your point of view) judge and jury wouldn't convict you of something and punish you for it anyway.

There's a lot to consider when it comes to owning a gun. Put some thought into it.

McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2010, 04:36:32 PM »

Some people, like me, own guns just because they like putting holes in paper targets.   icon_wink
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2010, 04:39:32 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on February 23, 2010, 04:36:32 PM

Some people, like me, own guns just because they like putting holes in paper targets.   icon_wink

That's my primary reason for them. The Mossberg with the pistol grip is awesome fun for shooting at pop cans or rotted fruit at about 15 yards, and there's nothing quite as satisfying as putting five rounds through one hole from the bench with the .308.

But if you have any inkling that you might use one of your guns for self defense at some point, it's worth considering all the angles, all the advantages, and all the disadvantages.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:41:56 PM by Thin_J » Logged

depward

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2010, 04:42:06 PM »

I'd go with a 1911 or even just a nice little sub-compact GLOCK. Shameless plug here, but I'd look into getting a laser sight / grip from Crimson Trace equipped on it, too  icon_razz

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2010, 04:46:05 PM »

Quote from: depward on February 23, 2010, 04:42:06 PM

Shameless plug here, but I'd look into getting a laser sight / grip from Crimson Trace equipped on it, too  icon_razz

Do you work for Crimson Trace?

If you do, that's actually kinda cool. I almost bought a Smith & Wesson 1911 that came with a set of Lasergrips on it when I ended up with the Sig.

Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2010, 04:47:20 PM »

It's cool to see so many other people with CZ-75's.      I bought one from the Rod and Gun Club when I was stationed in Germany in the 80's.   The gun was a bit of a novelty as they were still illegal to import to the US at the time.    You could however, buy them in Germany and bring them home with you.      Great pistol.   Lots of fun to shoot.

The Mossberg 500 12 Gauge is a good home defense gun.      I've had one of them but switched to a Winchester 1300 Defender 12 Gauge a while back.   It's just a matter of personal preference.   The stock feels better to me than the pistol grip.

Pistol-wise,  the Glock Model 22 in 40 cal a pretty good for a beginner.    There's no exposed hammer to get tangled on anything.   The split trigger is decent safety.  The trigger is forward if there's a round in the chamber.   The frame is big enough to handle the 40 caliber round.   I also liked the way an empty  magazine would drop all the way out when you hit the magazine release, but a loaded magazine would only drop partway and stay in the pistol grip.

Something I think is even more essential to home protection than a good gun is a good watchdog to wake you up when someones around the house.   It doesn't have to be a guard dog,  just one alert and loud enough to bark at whatever comes around after dark.    Two of the best watchdogs I've ever seen were my friend's beagle and my Aunt's Chihuahua.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2010, 04:52:33 PM »

Just remember to be careful when protecting your family

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/12/national/main5378015.shtml
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2010, 04:55:48 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on February 23, 2010, 04:59:38 AM

Quote from: Eduardo X on February 23, 2010, 04:50:14 AM

Here comes The Judge.

Number 4 shot at 8 feet would prove an effective load for legged or legless threats.

icon_biggrin

My brother-in-law bought two of those things for my Sister and Niece.    I'd never even heard of the Judge before that.     My inlaws have got some bad ideas about guns.     He bought them and took the girls out to the range once.    They don't practice with the guns, but treat them like some kind of magic talisman that wards off attacks just by being there.  

I suspect they'll get tired of them before long,  and they'll wind up giving them to me like they did with the home gym, exercise bike, and king sized pillowtop mattress.     It's kind of nice having inlaws with more money than sense.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2010, 05:09:04 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 23, 2010, 04:52:33 PM

Just remember to be careful when protecting your family

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/12/national/main5378015.shtml

This is partially why you don't go stalking around your house. Far better to be embarrassed when the cops arrive due to a false alarm than to shoot someone you know. It's also why you gather your family, make sure they're all with you in the same room, and then stay in that room with them.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2010, 05:38:13 PM »

Truthfully, I may be selling or trading one of the 1911's sometime. I don't currently own a .22 and that feels like a weird hole in my collection. I want a 10/22 or maybe a dedicated .22 upper for my AR. Whichever of those I do I'll probably go all in and get on the ATF's eyeball forever list and get a supressor for it too. Plinking with no ear protection would be pretty great.

May I recommend a Ruger .22? They feel great, are easy to shoot, fairly cheap depending on where you get them, and if you get the silver model it looks like a .44 Auto Mag smile

I may skip the pistol in the end. I do want a shotgun and may join the NRA to boot

I want a shotgun because of the many load types. I can use bird/rat shot for these rats and such. I can use buckshot for protection. Maybe even beanbags. I do not want to shoot anyone no. And I do funny enough have a taped up axe handle under my mattress. But after 2 very late visits from people the last 2 nights claiming to be pizza..which I didn't order and someone else, the stick seems kinda useless. I want something they will hear when I "cha-chunk" it .

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: