http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 10:19:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy  (Read 2540 times)
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Why so serious?

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2008, 06:01:52 PM »

Guns N' Roses, i.e. Axl Rose, have announced the official release for Chinese Democracy.

I'm listening to the title track right now (Streamed at the same location as the article).  I don't know what to make of it yet.  Some parts sound kind of cool and the others pretty generic.   icon_confused
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 06:12:44 PM »

I've heard this song and "Shackler's Revenge" (it's in Rock Band 2) and I'm impressed with neither.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 06:14:34 PM »

I'll pass this on to the resident GNR disciple in our shop.  I'm sure he'll be excited.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 07:08:10 PM »

Do people actually think that anything Guns n' Roses did that was any good had anything to do with Axl Rose?  Seemed like all the talent in that band was elsewhere...
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 08:00:22 PM »

Quote from: kratz on October 22, 2008, 07:08:10 PM

Do people actually think that anything Guns n' Roses did that was any good had anything to do with Axl Rose?  Seemed like all the talent in that band was elsewhere...

You mean like write the lyrics to over half their songs including their biggest hits?

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 08:16:25 PM »

I'm listening to the intro to the song and I'm already bored. Yeah, that'll be fun to listen 300 times for someone who buys the CD.

Music Pet Peeve:  Songs, Empire by Queensryche for example which quotes stats about defense spending in the middle of the song for like 30 seconds, that have stupid crap at the beginning end or middle that you're forced to listen to every time.  They should have a re-mixed version of the song that's the same without the nonsense.

As for the rest of the song. Too much distortion on the vocals...and yes. Very generic. It sucks.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 08:18:18 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on October 22, 2008, 08:00:22 PM

You mean like write the lyrics to over half their songs including their biggest hits?
If it was a book of poetry, that would be great smile
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 08:44:23 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 22, 2008, 08:16:25 PM

I'm listening to the intro to the song and I'm already bored. Yeah, that'll be fun to listen 300 times for someone who buys the CD.

Music Pet Peeve:  Songs, Empire by Queensryche for example which quotes stats about defense spending in the middle of the song for like 30 seconds, that have stupid crap at the beginning end or middle that you're forced to listen to every time.  They should have a re-mixed version of the song that's the same without the nonsense.

As for the rest of the song. Too much distortion on the vocals...and yes. Very generic. It sucks.

Finally, something musically that we can agree on, SL.   icon_wink
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 08:51:48 PM »

The judicious use of editing software could solve that problem.  WavePad is a good one.  I've used it to make my own ring tones before as well. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 09:11:37 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 22, 2008, 08:51:48 PM

The judicious use of editing software could solve that problem.  WavePad is a good one.  I've used it to make my own ring tones before as well. 

Huh. I've never thought of that. I have made mine own ring tones....but never thought of that...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 09:27:46 PM »

i love Guns N Roses,i went to see them in 1992,here in Manchester(UK)..the Use Your Illusion tour,been looking forward to this album,but cant help thinking how different it will be without Slash,Duff and Matt

i heard a lot of tracks ages ago(Madagascar,Prostitute and IRS)...at one time one of the other tracks 'Oh My God' was meant to be on the album...it was played during the end Credits of the Arnie Schwarzenegger movie 'End Of Days'...i thought that song was pretty damn cool,and the rest of this Album is from the same sessions as that song

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 09:54:49 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on October 22, 2008, 08:00:22 PM

Lyrics, schmyrics.

This isn't the new Guns n' Roses album, it's the new Axl Rose album... and if the rest of it is like that song, it's awful.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 10:26:11 PM »

Izzy Stradlin was actually the heart and soul of the band from what I understand...he did all the arranging and melodies...
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 10:28:02 PM »

The wikipedia article has some good background

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 12:22:53 AM »

heard the title track this afternoon and didn't care for it much, but then again I didn't like the new Metallica the first time I heard it so who knows.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 11:52:31 AM »

What bothers me most about that particular section of the song is that all the stats they are spouting go on about how much the federal government spends on the military, space exploration, diplomacy, etc and how little they spend on law enforcement.   Isn't the VAST majority of law enforcement done at the state, county, and city levels and is therefore funded by state taxes and NOT by the feds?  I would think the only LE agency that would receive federal funding would be the FBI.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 12:29:46 PM »

I will be the dissenting voice and say I dig it. I've heard several of the leaked tracks of the album, and while they're not earth-shattering by any means, I still love Axl's voice and it's cool to hear new material from him. I don't consider it a true Guns N Roses album (it's not GnR without Slash & Axl as a MINIMUM), but I'll probably end up getting it.

There's obviously going to be a lot of backlash against this CD because of the long wait. It's not going to live up to the incredible hype built around it, and there's still a lot of anti-Axl sentiment floating around which is going to impact people's perceptions even further.

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 01:42:30 PM »

Do not want!

I heard the entire album around 3 months ago...not good. Axl has a very unique voice that's instantly recognizable, but it's definitely not Guns& Roses...it feels very dated and sophomoric. I found both the Use your Illusion albums less than good, but this Chinese Democracy is a further slide from the raw, unabashed, raucous songwriting that made Appetite so damn good.

In a rock era (not metal) full of Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Poison, etc....Appetite came out and said this is how you do motherfin' rock and roll.
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 04:34:15 AM »

Sweet that means we all get a free DR. PEPPER  HORRAY... icon_eek
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 05:12:33 AM »

o rly

wow strong arms
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 05:18:57 AM by ravenvii » Logged
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 02:31:22 PM »

Quote from: soulbringer on October 24, 2008, 04:34:15 AM

Sweet that means we all get a free DR. PEPPER  HORRAY... icon_eek

Here's the story.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 04:09:25 AM »

Rolling Stone review is out. 4 Stars.

Let's get right to it: The first Guns n' Roses album of new, original songs since the first Bush administration is a great, audacious, unhinged and uncompromising hard-rock record.

Suck it, haters.  icon_razz
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 04:15:00 AM »

in anticipation I just re-bought Appetite, Illusion I & II and Lies off of iTunes when I saw they were only 8 bucks each.  I haven't owned the whole albums in god knows how long.  I'm hoping the rest of the album is better- I finally heard Shacklers Revenge and liked it better.

Because I can,
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2008, 06:06:34 AM »

I heard Chinese Democracy on my internet radio the other day and after having read this thread beforehand I have to say that I thought it was just fine.  I've only heard it once though.

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2008, 11:04:01 PM »

well, grabbed it off of iTunes early this morning and have listened through it once.  It's not the trainwreck I was expecting it to be, but it really makes you think why the hell did it take 15 years to complete.

Because I can,
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2008, 01:00:01 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 11, 2008, 04:09:25 AM

Rolling Stones are whores  icon_smile

I've listended through it a few times and I must agree with the "haters": it's a horrible album.
Some songs sounds like they had potential, but then was ruined by overproducing.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2008, 06:50:18 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 23, 2008, 11:04:01 PM

well, grabbed it off of iTunes early this morning and have listened through it once.  It's not the trainwreck I was expecting it to be, but it really makes you think why the hell did it take 15 years to complete.

If you thought it was going to be a trainwreck why did you buy it?

Personally I think it sounds pretty good.  Not album of the year material, but solid.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2008, 07:48:44 PM »

I expected to be let down but am loving it.

I had to get over the fact that there will never be an "Appetite for Destruction: Part II". Some well constructed and unexpected melodies. Axl has always been a love/hate singer. I've always dug his singing.

So two thumbs up from me for "Axl Rose and the Hired Guns".
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 02:02:28 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 24, 2008, 06:50:18 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 23, 2008, 11:04:01 PM

If you thought it was going to be a trainwreck why did you buy it?

Personally I think it sounds pretty good.  Not album of the year material, but solid.

It's G n'R so I had to, and have found that by expecting the worst I am pleasantly surprised more often.  One thing I forgot to mention in my post that I do like it.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: