http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 06:46:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GT needs a DB Expert  (Read 295 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2011, 03:35:30 PM »

We need to hire, hopefully short term, a database migration expert.  We have to move a large amount of data (all of the old data like reviews, etc. from the old site) from our old platform to the new.  You need to be a PHP / SQL pro.   This is a paying gig, but it's entirely out of my pocket so it has to be reasonable.  I want this done immediately so be ready to hit the ground running. 

Thanks.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 03:37:48 PM »

Wordpress DB experience is a huge plus as well

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
FishPants
Gaming Trend Reader

Ouch

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 07:20:32 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 22, 2011, 03:35:30 PM

We need to hire, hopefully short term, a database migration expert.  We have to move a large amount of data (all of the old data like reviews, etc. from the old site) from our old platform to the new.  You need to be a PHP / SQL pro.   This is a paying gig, but it's entirely out of my pocket so it has to be reasonable.  I want this done immediately so be ready to hit the ground running. 

Thanks.

Depending on the complexity I may be able to lend a hand gratis -- but don't know enough about what you are doing.. If just migrating data, it can't be all that hard (unless you are jumping from MySQL to Oracle, backend DB changes can be a bit more tricky but not impossible).

If you're looking for someone to migrate the data and make code level changes in existing PHP pages to query/retrieve, then ya I'm outski slywink

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 08:23:32 PM »

Basically, we're trying to migrate a legacy MySQL database into our new wordpress database. I can guide on what tables on the old one are relevant and where they need to go, but the architecture is significantly different. The resource we had working on it was off to a good start and ran several tests, but unfortunately the amount of time he could spend on it was dwindling. I'm trying to get a recap of what he tried and where he was going to at least make things a little less painful.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Lyno
Gaming Trend Reader

Vroom!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 01:32:22 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on July 25, 2011, 08:23:32 PM

Basically, we're trying to migrate a legacy MySQL database into our new wordpress database. I can guide on what tables on the old one are relevant and where they need to go, but the architecture is significantly different. The resource we had working on it was off to a good start and ran several tests, but unfortunately the amount of time he could spend on it was dwindling. I'm trying to get a recap of what he tried and where he was going to at least make things a little less painful.

Like FishPants, I am willing to donate my time for free. I've been doing database programming for the past 7 years on Microsoft SQL servers. I also maintain legacy VB6 code, and occasionally program in .asp and C++. I don't know PHP, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out (assuming the code is properly commented).

The only migrations I've done have been moving from Microsoft SQL server 2000 to Microsoft SQL server 2005, as well as the occasional server upgrade. But a quick Google search shows that migrating MySQL WordPress databases isn't too complex, just time consuming.

Unless you are currently NOT using WordPress, and would like to move your non-WordPress MySQL database into the WordPress MySQL database format?

-Lyno

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: