http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 02:43:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GT's first CLIPBOARD JAMBORIE!!  (Read 2551 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 31, 2005, 07:16:33 PM »

Hit CTRL-V... lets see what you're holding. Funny, sad, technical; it doesn't matter.  Do what feels natural. It's like a nudist colony, only with less hair.

:shock:   :?  puke

*erm... *cough**cough* ... maybe that was an Monkey preservation park... that would explain the crap and the cymbols. ninja

Onto my clipboard:
----------------------------------------------
We've added a news item for "Pinky and the Brain" to the site. Here it is:

Brain: 'Pinky, Are You Pondering The DVDs I'm Pondering?' - 5:36 AM 10/27/2005 What are we going to do tonight, Brain? The same thing we do every night, Pinky: try to take over the DVD world!  Yes...the show you've been waiting for is FINALLY coming to DVD.  Sit down, be careful not to faint with glee, and then head on over to the TVShowsOnDVD News for the exclusive early info!
URL: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4383

You were sent this email because you have expressed interest in having "Pinky and the Brain" released on DVD. If you no longer want to receive these emails you may change the setting in your User Options - "Change Account Information".

TVShowsOnDVD.com - http://www.TVShowsOnDVD.com
----------------------------------------------

Clearly I was doing work related things... slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 07:21:28 PM »

Here is the CTRL-V from me:

That should be fixed, try it again.

Obviously I was doing site work.  biggrin

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 07:31:41 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS-154_Barzam

Oh...huh...I was browsing 4chan.org and found a pic about gundam...thought I'd actually examine the series.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 08:01:30 PM »

http://indyskate.com/kickpopmike2.gif  <-- just sent that to like 15 of my friends... smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 08:08:50 PM »

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 09:03:38 PM »

TIME Global Health Summit
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 09:43:31 PM »

*checks*

Yup, my Ctrl-V is my last post over in the Console forums talking about what's due out this week.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 10:30:40 PM »

My CTRL-V is a  journal entry I made on my site last week.

==========
I walked into the hospital today having never seen a live birth. I exited having born witness to both Caesarian Section and vaginal delivery. Both are amazing spectacles of human perseverance, human ingenuity and human life. That being said, I'm okay with not witnessing any more.

Not because it's too gross (I think blood and guts is fun), but because it's too emotional. On my part.

Seeing mothers and fathers beam with pride as they hold their child for the very first time is a powerful thing. You can't help but be excited and happy for the new parents. Their emotions are contagious. Yet, at the same time, when I watch a new father interact with his newborn it hurts. When I watch a mother, father and child becoming a newfound family, it kills.

Niki and I have known for some time that we won't be having children by traditional methods. We've come to grips with the fact that surrogacy and adoption are the only options we have if we're to ever become parents. (And there's absolutely nothing wrong with either option.) That doesn't change the sense of... jealousy? self-pity? loss? ...that I felt today.

We may yet get to be parents. With a family strong as any born via "natural" methods. But we'll miss the experience of going through pregnancy and labor as a team, and the experience of bonding with our "fresh out of the oven" infant. Our version of starting a family will be drastically different from what I witnessed today. Not an altogether bad thing, but after seeing what an amazing process it is, there's some definite sadness at the fact that we won't get to experience it for ourselves.

Despite the above, I'm glad for my experience in L&D today. I got to see one of each type of birth, which let's me check two boxes on a list two items long. I'm also grateful for the emotional tilt-a-whirl the day provided. But I'm willing to not repeat it.
==========

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 02:30:18 AM »

My Ctrl-V is PR numbers for people at NCSoft.  

Nope.  Not gonna post 'em.  I did verify that's what they were though. smile
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 02:41:26 AM »

I got nothin'
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 02:45:41 AM »

http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8194&highlight=god+war
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 02:46:47 AM »

OH NO

For the first quarter ending January 31, 2006, $300 to $350 million in net sales and $0.04 to $0.10 in diluted net income per share. In addition to the factors mentioned above, the reduction in first quarter guidance also reflects the movement of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for PC and Xbox 360 from the first quarter to the second quarter and the movement of the Japanese launch of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas for PlayStation 2 out of the first quarter and the fiscal year

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 06:07:01 AM »

Eyes shined as they swelled with water,
Wanna be strong cuz its never ok to falter,
thinking back about her while sippin some beers,
Instead of two weeks, it feels like  years,
I couldnt a helped it, but it dont change my fears,
I always wonder if I ever got to thank her,
before she lost the only battle ever ta cancer.
not much left to say or do,
but appreciate her for being true

I was working on something? smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 06:18:21 AM »

Let's see what's on Uncle CeeKay's clipboard  :twisted:

----------------------------------

I did it all for you love muffin

I will be dreaming about your throbbing loins later tonight

This isn't a diskette, it's a packet for my condom...

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005, 11:36:48 AM »

Update: 31oct05
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2005, 04:16:00 PM »

chuck palahniuk

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2005, 07:25:44 PM »

"English ships, on average smaller and quicker then their Spanish counterparts, could of course not compete in terms of either numbers of soldiers or cannon."

LOL!! That is a sentence from CSL's latest essay.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2005, 07:46:58 PM »

Here's today.

Description
Lunar: Dragon Song is a tale of origins, set 1,000 years prior to the events of the original Lunar: The Silver Star and the adventures of Dragonmaster Alex. In the twilight time of Dragon Song, the world was still divided. At its center lived the race of beastmen in large, extravagant dwellings, while on its outskirts lived the race of humans. The two races were largely separate, and the world remained in balance so long as they remained separate. But this balance was soon threatened by a vile tribe in the distant frontier, who was rumored to wield formidable powers of dark magic. In a world that owed its existence to magic, these were perilous times.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2005, 07:50:10 PM »

http://www.nanowrimo.org/userinfo.php?uid=47937

Huh...wasn't expecting that in there.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2005, 07:58:05 PM »

en_US_45252

Boring.

LiveTAG: happydog
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2005, 08:11:55 PM »

I am on a public computer at the library between classes...this should be fun...

McAlister

Wow, lame.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2005, 08:14:18 PM »

C:\WINNT\system32\ntbackup.exe backup "@D:\LocalBackups\systemstatebackupselection.bks" /n "Media created 7/4/2005 at 10:51 AM" /d "Set created 7/4/2005 at 10:54 AM" /v:no /r:no /rs:no /hc:off /m normal /j "systemstatebackup" /l:s /f "D:\Localbackups\systemstatebackup.bkf"

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2005, 08:24:21 PM »

[email protected]

Bleh...nothing fun there. :/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2005, 08:35:25 PM »

My mother's second husband's last name was Kehoe, oddly enough.
rabies66
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2005, 01:54:43 PM »

Here's my clip...

Putting the Pee into Power

Reported by John Roach and written by Patrick Abbott
National Geographic Kids News
September 16, 2005

In the near future, you might be an alternative fuel source. Scientists in the Asian country of Singapore have created a battery powered by urine.

The scientists were making computer "biochips" to test for diseases like diabetes, but they did not have a battery small enough to power the chips. Then they realized that the substance being tested with the chips—urine—could power the devices. Urine can power the battery because it contains negatively charged electronic particles called ions.

The battery consists of a piece of paper soaked in a chemical called copper chloride and sandwiched by strips of copper and magnesium. A coating of see-through plastic protects the battery. When urine enters the battery though a small slit, a chemical reaction starts that generates electricity. The battery creates the same energy as a standard AA battery (1.5 volts) and can run for about 90 minutes.

The same technology can use other body fluids to create power. Ki Bang Lee, one of the inventors of the urine battery, said it could also run on tears, blood, and saliva. Lee gave an example of powering a cell phone with saliva to make a call during an emergency.

Daniel Kammen of the Renewable and Appropriate Energy Laboratory at the University of California-Berkley said that the battery technology "can do all kinds of things" one day like power laptop computers, mp3 players, televisions, and even cars!

Kammen says the wide number of applications for cheap and efficient biofluid-powered batteries illustrates the value of basic research. "Investigation leads to innovation," he said.

**Science article for my son's (third grade) current events assignment - good stuff!

Golden with barlight and beer
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2005, 01:59:01 PM »

http://www.blizzcon.com/images/screenshots/ss56.jpg
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2005, 02:01:13 PM »

Quote from: "Austin"

FWIW, it could have been a worse link.  (See OO's thread on blizcon)
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2005, 10:15:33 PM »

uh...   :shock:
------
3. Critically assess the Lewis model of development with an emphasis on the interplay between population dynamics, health and development.  In particular:
a. What might be the major implications of population growth, migration, and health for economic growth?

Model overview:
•   Population Pessimist - “an unlimited supply of labor will keep wages down”
•   The 3 Ds – Dualism, Diagram, Dynamics (labor demand curve shifts out).  There are only two sectors: agricultural/traditional vs. industrial/modern, people are motivated only by money.  
•   Increased wages (W = AP + ε) in urban areas attract people from rural areas (where everyone gets equal share of the total output per capita, close to subsistence, or AP).  Major diff is rural sector income based on average product where urban firm income based on marginal product.  
•   When all excess labor is in the urban areas, so ε is increased (increased competition) and AP increases because there are fewer people in the rural sector  “turning point” and the beginning of development  (and the elimination of dualism)

Implications of population growth, migration and health for economic growth:
•   According to Lewis model, population growth postpones the attainment of the turning point  (pop growth impedes development) because there is then an unlimited supply of labor.  This keeps people living at the subsistence level (and AP low) and allows urban employers to pay just ε above AP, keeping incomes low.  
•   Population growth must be curbed to raise incomes and, subsequently, increasee economic growth.  
•   Development only occurs in urban areas therefore migration is necessary for economic growth.  Migration in one direction only (rural to urban) is a requirement for development.
•   No health in model, but must implicitly assume that everyone is healthy enough to migrate and work

b.   How appropriate are the model’s assumptions, and are the implications of population, health, and migration adequately captured in the model?       

Model’s assumptions:
•   No diff in workers (skilled/unskilled, capacities, preferences)
•   Money alone motivates people
•   Development = income
•   Only two sectors – urban and rural
•   No remittances
•   Development can only happen in the urban area

Appropriateness of Assumptions and Implications of population, health, and migration:
•   These assumptions limit applicability of model, as each can be refuted by current examples.  However, the basic assumption that money motivates people is a good framework given what we know about labor migration.  Major limitation is assumption that all workers are equal, as it fails to differentiate between those that are educated and those that are not and implies that any person would be able to work at any job.  Given the skills required for many current industrial and service-oriented jobs this is an erroneous assumption.
•   Population is not adequately captured in model:  assumes no fertility in urban areas, as it does not account for natural growth in urban labor force.  Therefore does not consider the possibility of urban unemployment and the effect that this has on urban wages.  (increased competition for jobs drives down wages).
•   Migration not adequately captured.  Assumes that labor migration is only one-way, rather than circular (empirically untrue).  Also assumes that migrants do not send remittances to family members back in rural area, which would improve economic conditions in “subsistence” sector and (if we’re still assuming income = development) result in rural development.
•   Health not considered at all.  This exclusion limits the model as it assumes a uniformly healthy and fit labor force.  As we now know, health is both a cause and result of economic development.  Without a healthy workforce, development will be limited.    
•   Health impacts both of the inputs to this model – fertility and labor force – therefore needs to be accounted for in some way for validity.  

Overview of the Lewis model:  The Lewis model addresses how labor transfers in a dual economy (dual referring to agricultural and urban). Growth of the industrial sector drives economic growth.  Economic growth requires structural change in the economy whereby surplus labor in rural sector (rural sector has zero marginal product) migrate to the modern industrial sector with high rising marginal product. Urban firm’s profits are re-invested. Growth means jobs for surplus rural labor. Additional workers in urban areas increase output hence incomes and profits. Extra incomes increase demand for domestic products while increased profits fund increased investment.
Implications:  
Migration: Rural areas provide a reservoir of cheap labor.  Economic growth means jobs for surplus rural labor (demand curve shifts out).  Additional workers increase output and profits which stimulate economic growth.  The Lewis model claims rural to urban migration offers self-generating growth (development refers to income only).
Population growth: If there is population growth that happens in the agricultural areas and AP decreases below subsistence, positive checks occur and people seek out alternatives.  The urban sector then needs only to set their AP slightly higher than rural areas to attract workers.
Health:  Implications of health are not specifically addressed in the model, but we can hypothesize a few of them: 1) Concentration of health services in urban areas.  2) Given the migration from rural to urban areas, when recently arrived rural migrants join the informal economy they are generally low income and may be forced to live in slums.  Health implications of slums include: bad air quality, unsafe water and sanitation, faster spread of disease, etc.

How appropriate are the models assumptions, and are the implications of population, health and migration adequately captured in the model?

1.  Assumption: People care about income, capitalists care about profits.  Implication: Increased profits may be invested in labor saving capital (technology) rather than taking on newly arrived workers.  
2.  Assumption: zero urban unemployment (individuals who are in the labor market, but do not have jobs).  Inappropriate: for many developing countries, rural urban migration levels have been far greater than the formal industrial sector’s ability to provide jobs. Urban poverty has replaced rural poverty.

3.  Assumption: All population growth takes place in rural areas, no fertility in urban centers.  This is because population growth impedes development and all development is urban.  Inappropriate: people in urban areas do reproduce.

4. Assumption: Productivity of labor in rural areas is almost zero.  Somewhat inappropriate: while it may be true for certain times of the year, during planting and harvesting the need for labor is critical to the needs of the community.

5.  Assumption: Higher incomes in urban areas will be saved.  Implication: If the entrepreneurs and labor spend their new-found gains rather than save them, funds for investment and growth will not be made available.  If people from rural areas move to urban centers in search of a better job, there will be no jobs.

xbox live: nude rick james
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2005, 10:49:41 PM »

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2005, 03:08:41 AM »

I was playing with that stupid site someone posted that may or may not be xbox 360 related.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2005, 03:21:16 AM »

ncbex.org
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2005, 04:06:26 AM »

heh, mines the first 1,200 of my attempt at nanowrimo this year:   

one

The rain was cold and tasted of salt. The grey man on the grey horse sat motionless in his saddle, looking down the sodden hillside at the sea town spread below. Rain dripped in a steady stream from the hood of his cloak and the horse's breath hung in a steamy cloud about them. He nudged the horse forward and it began a weary gait, the thick mud of the road sucking at its hooves. If the grey man listened hard he could just make out the faint roar of the surf over the rain. The ocean was a churning mass of slate and foam, its fury masked by the distance.
   The town was known as Stilton. Built on tap of a large shallow bay it had begun as a collection of piers stretching far out from shore to where the water reached draft depth. Wharfs had lined the shore and then warehouses had been added, both on shore and out on the piers themselves. The piers had widened and added taverns and inns and brothels to to cater to the dock-hands. Rope-makers, sail shops, and carpenters soon arrived, quickly followed by whatever other kind of business anyone had a mind to try. Shallow draft boats had been docked alongside the piers in places and the town had grown around them, incorporating them. Decommissioned ships spared scuttling and towed in to serve as houses, catwalks and bridges built between them to connect. Over the years Stilton gradually came to be, a large town built entirely over the water, supported by scores of thick tar caked pilings, a town where every footfall gave the hollow thunk of the pier.
   The water below Stilton ranged from a mere leg in depth to three legs or more in places. The gutters and privys and garbage pits of the city were emptied directly into it, trusting to the tide to carry most of it away. Still the city stank like few others at low tide and a sunny day was enough to make a strong man's eyes water.
   The town was known far and wide as a smuggler haven, a nest of pirates and thieves, of fugitives and convicts. Runaway slaves and whores filled its streets and many a face bore the exotic look or trace of far places under different stars. No self respecting captain came to port at Stilton, if not just to avoid the stench then to avoid having half of his crew robbed raped and murdered during a night ashore. A wise man in Stilton carried a knife he was willing to bet his life on and a truly wise man ne'er went there at all.
   The grey man knew all of this and his hard eyes scrutinized the town as he came down the hillside. He was near invisible against the churning skies and the mud-colored hillside .His cloak was as much road filth as cloth, the chain links he wore only still shone where they were scratched and gouged. His leathers were faded and cracked and the heels of his boots worn low and rounded at the corners. The scabbard at his waist was scuffed and torn, the protruding hilt plain and simple.
   All these things the guards at the city gate noticed as the grey man drew near. They manned a crude clapboard shack beside an eighteen hand gate set in a wooden palisade wall; a wall of armthick trunks hewn sharp at the top. One of them, a balding red faced man with an extra tin bar pinned to his collar to make him important, stepped forward, thumbs hooked in his belt, belly thrust forward.
   “What the fuck is this?” he scoffed. He was accustomed to pacing back and forth in disdain as he berated newcomers but the smallness of the shack's overhanging roof combined with the drenching streams of water that poured from it thwarted him in this which irritated him mightily. He had to content himself with rocking back and forth on his heels and huffing on his pipe as his two inferiors peered from the shack's doorway behind him and snickered. He regarded the sodden figure sitting silently astride his horse, waiting patiently at the gate.
   “You got a name, friend?” His tone of voice belied the nomenclature. He was just getting warmed up and his compatriots knew it. Their grins widened as they eyed the stranger huddled in the rain. The grey man's head turned, his face shadowed by his head, a faint glint of his eyes all that was readily visible.
   “Ash.” His voice was like a rusty hinge.
   The guards laughed at this. It mattered not what name the man gave, the guards were of the sort who would have laughed regardless.
   “Ash, eh? Earned name? Gods hope no mother'd be stupid enough to saddle her idiot son with a name like that. How'd you earn it? Burn your daddy's barn down?” The guards all guffawed again. Their captain was the height of wit. The stranger remained silent, his horse snorting and blowing the water from its nostrils.
   “No honest man has business here and 'tis my duty to turn the dishonest away,” the captain continued. “Why in hells should I let you in?”
   The grey man turned his face to the sky for a moment, letting the rain spatter against his face.
   “I come for neither honor nor dishonor and my business is my own.” There was a sudden steel to his voice that made the guards wary. “Let me pass so we might all go about our duties.”
   The edge to his voice had thrown the captain from his routine. Normally this was the part where he went about extorting some sort of entrance fee but suddenly he was having second thoughts about this. The two men behind him had fallen silent, aware of the sudden tension in the air. After a few seconds of silent uncertainty the captain turned and nodded one toward the gate lever. It was cold and wet and the hot coffee inside the shack suddenly had more appeal than the grey stranger.
   “Give no more trouble than you receive and beware your name being mentioned again to me,” he called as the gate creaked open.
   “I'll be sure to alter my conduct to suit.” Ash replied, a note o mockery in his voice. He started the horse forward. Perhaps out of frustration, perhaps to regain face in the eyes of his inferiors, the captain seized up a stick that stood by the door and, stepping forward, swung it in a smart slap against the horse's hindquarters. “Be gone with you then!” he cried.
   The horse reared in surprise, sending the grey man tumbling backwards into the mud with a bone jarring thud.  The horse sprang forward through the gates, disappearing into the rain, only the sound of its hooves clopping on the wooden streets could be heard over the guard's roar of laughter. Ash picked himself up from the mud and, seemingly unperturbed, strode the gates in the direction his horse had gone, quickly becoming lost to sight in the mist and the rain.
   The guards merriment died and they retreated back into their shack to drink coffee and smoke their pipes, huddled around their tray of coals for warmth.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2005, 02:08:05 PM »

First of the morning...

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/membership
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW