http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 08:34:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greatest American Rock Band  (Read 3485 times)
unbreakable
« on: June 23, 2005, 01:25:01 AM »

On the radio, one guy was recounting how he overheard two people saying the "Greatful Dead" are the greatest American rock band, and he had to lay the smack down on them.

One thing I observed, they discussed a lot of bands (all of them better than the Dead, sorry Im not a fan), but nobody mentioned "The James Gang".

Another thing I found goofy, they dismissed Santanta as being "Latin Rock".  WTF?  They didnt dismiss Hendrix as "Black Rock".
Doopri
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 01:53:18 AM »

the greatest american rock band isnt american - its zepplin hands down smile
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 02:29:01 AM »

Actually it is American, it's Metallica!   Cool
Or at least, it was, until St.Anger!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 04:07:54 AM »

Depends on how you define "greatest."  Is this a popularity contest based on albums sold, tickets sold, sound dynamics, time changes per song or what?

If you are talking about "the most people that have seen them play" then I think the Greatful Dead take the crown.

And Metallica started sucking with St. Anger?!?  Um...If the cheesy Black album didn't kill 'em (all) then the Load/ReLoad fiasco was most certainly the end of Metallica's relevancy.  ...And Justice for All was the Metallica masterpiece, after which all members save for Jason should have perished in an unfortunate bus accident.

edit to fix the italics...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 05:06:06 AM »

I vote for Metallica as well, I'm am one of the few (only?) who have enjoyed all their work...everything from Kill 'Em All to St. Anger.

I still don't get the beef the general public has with St. Anger....Load and Reload I can understand, but I did and still do enjoy St. Anger.

I rank it as #3 on their discography smile
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 05:11:34 AM »

Just giving all the Metallica fans (and I know there are many) a hard time.  Coincidentally I have two close friends, one of whom thinks The Greatful Dead are the greatest band ever, while the other believes it to be Metallica.  Having heard a lot of both I tend to disagree... :lol:

unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 05:23:06 AM »

I dunno.  I havent been impressed with a single Grateful Dead song.

Metallica was a great group, but I dont think they were wildly influential to rock as a whole (although their influence on metal is undoubted).

I have trouble listening to anything by Zeppelin now; the radio plays them too much- Ive got Led poisoning.

I guess in my opinion, 'greatest' would regard their effect upon the rock genre as a whole.  By the time Metallica became popular, many subcategories were already effectively split off from what I guess you could look at as the mainstream.  I cant slam the Black album, since it was a decent showing by them, and also succeeded in bringing metal into the mainstream.  Thank goodness too, I hated that sissy crap that was getting pumped out and called 'rock'.

Thats one reason that while Im not a big rap fan, I likes me some Eminem.  He is one of the few rappers that live up to the claim many people make of trying to say that rap is rock (another would be the Beastie Boys).  There have been some non-white rap groups which have crossed the line from rap to rock, but not on a really consistant basis.  Some of the really good ones failed to become more than a flash in the pan.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 04:18:59 PM »

I loved all of their work up until St.Anger. From the black album to Load & Reload and even Garage Days, have all of those cds.
"Nothing Else Matters" from the black album (hard to believe it's been 15 years already) is a classic in my books.
"Low Man's Lyric" "King Nothing" "Turn the page" I don't know why so many people didn't like the black album and beyond. I can understand about St.Anger, they lost that rock feel they had in the 90's. Almost every album had 1 or 2 ballads (Mama Said, Low Man's Lyric, and so on) up until that one.

Wow speaking of years has it really been almost 25 years since Metallica released their first album?
I'm feeling old here..

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 04:26:41 PM »

the greatest american rock band isnt american - its zepplin hands down

If by Zepplin you mean RUSH then yea...you are totally and completely correct.

<-- founding member of the Anti-Zepplin Group.  Buncha whiney no-talent assclowns...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 04:31:54 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
<-- founding member of the Anti-Zepplin Group.  Buncha whiney no-talent assclowns...

I just don't know you anymore slywink

Led Zeppelin is easily one of the top acts of all time.  For American born ones, I'd have to think about it.  I love Metallica and everything they do, but I'm not sure they are the best American band of all time.

The Beach Boys are probably in contention (at least the original group).  Brian Wilson is an amazing songwriter who went mentally south, but has come back from the depths to do a good bit of solo work.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 04:48:36 PM »

I don't know about anyone else, but I cringe everytime I hear Jimmy Page's playing on Black Dog. Yeesh.  

Alex Lifeson was never that sloppy.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 06:00:35 PM »

"Why do we need all these new bands?  Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974.  It's a scientifically proven fact."  Cool

Gee, you think the Beach Boys might be in contention for that crown? Ya think?  It's not like they had any lasting impact on music or anything.

My ignorant thoughts:
Ron is right in that it is well acknowledged by anyone who is not a 15yo male that Zeppelin is really a two-bit act.  When a band is repeatedly sued, and loses said lawsuits, for stealing other peoples songs/melodies, they are proving they are hacks.  

Metallica? Are you guys serious? Great, yes.  I'll give them that for the period up until Black.  Greatest American Band?  HAHAHAHAHH! Um, and Neil Diamond was the best songwriter of all-time, right?

I can't comment on the best; when I think of great music acts in America, I end up with individuals.  I'm gonna half to think of who other than the Beach Boys would qualify.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 06:00:41 PM »

There can be only one...

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 06:14:39 PM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
Gee, you think the Beach Boys might be in contention for that crown? Ya think?  It's not like they had any lasting impact on music or anything.

I can't comment on the best; when I think of great music acts in America, I end up with individuals.  I'm gonna half to think of who other than the Beach Boys would qualify.

i wasn't aware the the Beach Boys were a rock band...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005, 06:37:24 PM »

I'm voting for Black Flag.
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2005, 07:23:36 PM »

I know they are not everyone's bag, but it would be hard to objectively discount the Eagles.

Done posting
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2005, 07:48:04 PM »

big jake its driving me nuts  whats that line from? its right on the tip of my memory i can picture the scene as loose lil "brain waves" but im losin it...
wait, waynes world?

and i stand by led zepplin rockin smile  like em at fifteen, still like em now.  oh  and grateful dead  rock? i always kinda thought of them as jam band.  

and what bout guns and roses? (please make disclaimer if hair bands are to be excluded en masse smile)
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 07:48:30 PM »

i wasn't aware the the Beach Boys were a rock band...

Aaah.  I see that you are one of the people who believes 'rock band' means only (in Carl's voice from Aqua Teen Hunger Force) "Bitchin' geetar!  OOh Mann, I saw deez guys in '85 with Styx.  They Rocked!'.

As for the Eagles; I personally dislike them, but you have a point that it is very hard to discount how succesful they were.

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2005, 09:25:04 PM »

Oh, and Doopri, the quote is Homer Simpson discussing Lollapalooza.

btw - if you guys are defining 'rock' as only dinosaur guitar bands, why has no one said Kiss, or any other of the Arena acts from the 70's?

(And reading most of the band names in this thread is making me realize how much I must hate 'rock'.)

MrZubbleWump
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2005, 09:41:44 PM »

No band influenced America as much as this band :lol:

Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2005, 10:47:50 PM »

Lest we forget...

Or the legendary

edit- sry for making a mockery of this thread, but these pics crack me up. Back on topic now smile
unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2005, 11:06:43 PM »

1. Led Zepplin isnt an American band
2. Rush isnt an American band

I know KISS was pretty popular, but I dont consider them really influential.  Im not saying one cant make the case for it, however, since they are one of the highest grossing bands ever.  KISS carpet cleaner, anyone?
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2005, 11:35:37 PM »

yes we knew that ub smile - read my first response!
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2005, 11:42:56 PM »

I'd throw Chicago into the fray as well - they are either tied with the Beach Boys, or have a couple more top 40 songs as the most by an american male ensemble.  And  over 100 million albums sold.  Their debut album was in the top 100 for nearly 150 weeks, and at one point their first four albums were simultaneously on the Billboard top 100 chart.  And they were all double albums to boot.

If you can overlook their mid-80s ballad years, they definitely deserve to be in the running.  The fact that they have yet to be inducted in the R&R hall of fame is a travesty.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2005, 12:14:04 AM »

Hall & Oates

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
unbreakable
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2005, 12:33:15 AM »

Quote from: "Doopri"
yes we knew that ub smile - read my first response!

Oh I know, but other people were throwing Zep in there as well.

Chicago is another influential one as well, I forgot that one.  Pretty bad, considering where I live!
unbreakable
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2005, 12:34:31 AM »

But I think most of us can agree that it definitely ISNT the Grateful Dead.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2005, 03:16:00 AM »

Off the top of my head Im definately going with Creedence Clearwater Revival. CCR baby!

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2005, 05:09:29 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Off the top of my head Im definately going with Creedence Clearwater Revival. CCR baby!

I agree 100%, seems like everyone of their albums could be remade into a greatest hits.

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2005, 05:58:41 PM »

The E Street Band.

-Randy

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2005, 07:47:22 PM »

Unless I think of something else I'm gonna have to go with The Beach Boys or CCR.
unbreakable
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2005, 02:54:22 AM »

Quote from: "Belgedin"
Unless I think of something else I'm gonna have to go with The Beach Boys or CCR.

The Dude votes for the Credence.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2005, 05:33:47 PM »

How about The Doors?

-Randy

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2005, 06:03:37 PM »

New Found Glory.

They rock so hard.

Just Hiro will do.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2005, 12:33:24 AM »

This thread just imploded.  See above. puke

SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2005, 03:13:07 AM »

Well I'm sorry if my courageous and obviously correct choice upsets you so much.  Obviously everyone on the forum agrees with me except for you, as evidenced by the lack of replies.

Just Hiro will do.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2005, 04:20:05 AM »

At least you didn't say AFI.  Man, you have not cried until you have heard two middle school girls squal out one of those ballads in a talent show.

Besides, I would have pegged you as a Yellowcard guy.

Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2005, 05:57:30 AM »

The Ramones-oops. American.
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2005, 06:02:52 AM »

Quote from: "warning"

Are you a Rollins Band fan as well?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2005, 11:27:25 AM »

Quote from: "Ragnarok"
Quote from: "warning"

Are you a Rollins Band fan as well?

Actually I've just been getting into "old punk" recently so I've heard of Rollins Band but haven't actually been able to hear anything by them.  Where's a good place to start?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: