http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 02:01:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got my iPod Shuffle today  (Read 1186 times)
Fireball
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2005, 09:45:52 PM »

Just got it when I got home from work today. Very nice packaging, typical of Apple. It came charged at least partially. It's taking a few minutes to transfer over 512 MB of music, which is much slower than a regular iPod, but something to expect, given that this is running via USB and not FireWire.

Last night I set up a Smart Playlist in iTunes that should filter out all the songs I don't want on the Shuffle, and so now I'm letting the Shuffle randomly select from the songs that are in that list (it grabbed 117 of them). I'm giving iTunes the full 512 MB to play with, but in the iTunes preferences for this iPod I can tell it to reserve a certain amount of space for saving files to it like a thumb drive.

The lanyard is a bit shorter than I expected, but it seems to click well onto the Shuffle, so I don't feel like it's going to slide off. There's a two-color LED underneath the white plastic, which gives some feedback when buttons are pushed.

On the default volume, it seems to produce decent sound. I'm amazed at how little the thing weighs.

Because of the round control wheel, this thing still feels like using an iPod, even though it's nothing like the standard iPods.

On a related note, Apple's ads lie. This is my third iPod. I still can't dance.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 10:11:26 PM »

Lucky American jerk. Us sucker Canadians don't get the thing until February, and a vague "first or second week of February" at that. After a little price comparison and mulling over what I want out of an MP3 player, I think I'm going to pick up the 1G iPod Shuffle when it shows up in Canadian Best Buys and Future Shops. Both stores list the estimated release date on their websites as the 11th of February.

Since I'm forced to wait, I still have a couple of weeks to think it over. As it stands, though, I'm basically sold on the player.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 10:19:59 PM »

Quote from: "Fireball1244"
Just got it when I got home from work today. Very nice packaging, typical of Apple. It came charged at least partially. It's taking a few minutes to transfer over 512 MB of music, which is much slower than a regular iPod, but something to expect, given that this is running via USB and not FireWire.

It's not USB 2.0?  :shock:

Edit: Or I guess you could only have USB 1.1 on your computer...
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 10:20:54 PM »

Coming from a happy iPod owner and officially-jealous-of-your-Shuffle person I still thought this was very funny (especially after dealing with people who work at the Apple stores).  Apple's marketing team is certainly top-notch and this is a fun poke at its effectiveness.

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 10:21:07 PM »

It is USB 2.0, but it still won't sustain a throughput rate at the same speeds that FireWire can. USB 2 can burst stuff at a really fast rate, but it can't sustain that speed indefinitely life FireWire can... or, at least, that's my understanding.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 10:23:53 PM »

I'm not so sure about that... I've heard similar "information, but my experience has been different - I've worked on DV (which requires significantly higher throughput than a few audio files) from an external hard drive both with USB 2.0 and Firewire connections, and haven't noticed any significant speed difference.

Some quick googling shows that just because a product is branded USB 2.0 doesn't mean it offers the full 480Mbps throughput.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/flash.ars/1
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 10:25:36 PM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
Coming from a happy iPod owner and officially-jealous-of-your-Shuffle person I still thought this was very funny (especially after dealing with people who work at the Apple stores).  Apple's marketing team is certainly top-notch and this is a fun poke at its effectiveness.

Yeah, I've seen that. It's pretty clever. Though it'd be more clever if they used the right typeface for the Apple logo. smile

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 12:55:48 AM »

So uh... do you really want your old iPod back? smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 02:19:11 AM »

Yes. Sorry. smile

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 02:28:25 AM »

Hey Fireball, could you shed a little light on how the playlist works? I know you set it up on the computer before uploading the songs onto the iPod, but can you make more than one list, or are you stuck making only one list 120/240 songs long (depending on which of the two iPods you grab)? And, if you can make multiple lists, would there be any way to switch between the playlists using the minimalist controls on the iPod?

I dig the intentionally unpredictable nature of the iPod Shuffle, but would prefer it if there was the ability to go between various playlists, just to separate the music a little bit.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 02:54:22 AM »

I do believe it's a one-playlist device. When you click on the iPod Shuffle in your Sources pane, it lists  the songs on  the device, and has some controls at the bottom, including an option regarding what playlist to sync it to.

My playlist in question is actually 900+ songs long. It randomly picks from that playlist to fill up the iPod when I hit the "Autofill" button.

Now, I can leave the iPod Shuffle in my sources pane, and go in and carefully organize the playlist, with it plugged in or not, and then sync that playlist onto the Shuffle and play through it linearly, but there's no mechanism that I can see to sync more than one playlist on there.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 03:08:27 AM »

How did you get it so fast?  I swear I ordered it like noon on the day it was announced, and now I check the site and they say it will ship on 1/26.  Bah!
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 03:21:14 AM »

I ordered it within 90 minutes of the end of the Stevenote.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: