http://gamingtrend.com
September 15, 2014, 02:24:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Google Music  (Read 379 times)
ibdoomed
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2011, 05:01:01 PM »

*Should this have gone in the hardware/software forum?*

I got a google music beta invite today. I think this is cloud music storage/streaming? My library is tiny and I rarely have sound on, let alone listen to music. Anyone else doing this? I do have a droid and it connected right up, seems to work fine.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »

I am interested in trying (if I get an invite) but I am in love with free wifi xfer by Winamp, as well as hard button controls when my screen is locked. Don't know if GM will do that, but the cloud access seems cool.

ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 06:06:24 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on May 26, 2011, 05:52:00 PM

I am interested in trying (if I get an invite) but I am in love with free wifi xfer by Winamp, as well as hard button controls when my screen is locked. Don't know if GM will do that, but the cloud access seems cool.

It does has options to use wifi in the settings and when you say 'hard button controls' do you mean the physical buttons? My 4 droid buttons don't do anything with music when the screen is locked, menu unlocks, the other three do nothing at all, but music puts three new buttons on the touchscreen, rew, play/pause and ffwd.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 07:23:40 PM »

I requested a shot at the beta but haven't gotten that magical invitation yet.  I really like Google's idea, and if it works anywhere near as well as the Amazon Cloud Player, it will be a pretty awesome service.  Amazon has done a great job with their service, but you won't get the same storage space that Google is offering without paying quite a bit more.  The idea of being able to store my entire music library and have it accessible for either download or streaming pretty much anywhere is pretty awesome though.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 07:40:48 PM »

So far, so awesome. I received my Music Beta invite a couple of days ago. As of this writing, my computer has uploaded 4732 songs, which is a little more than a third of my collection. Will be pretty stoked if its all uploaded by Monday. The browser client is awesome. Speedy, useful, well thought out, I'm pretty excited to have web access to my music collection. I'm able to carry all of it on my iPod classic, but its so much easier to work with my music collection through Music Beta while I'm at my desk. So far my experimentation with the "Instant Mix" option returns mixes that are better the Genius mixes I'm able to generate with iTunes. It's anecdotal based on a small sample so far, but the Google mixes seem to be more intelligent than the iTunes mixes (or, at the very least, better suited to my tastes).

The Android player has been a little inconsistent for me. Usually, everything works as advertised, and I cloud access in my pocket. Yesterday morning I wanted to test streaming over 3G in my car, but it didn't seem to be talking to Google's servers at that time (seems like it was an app or Google problem, since switching to wifi didn't solve the problem). Today, 3G service seems to be working fine, but I still want to test it in a moving car. I found that Amazon's cloud locker doesn't seem to work very well on the go, and I'm curious to see if Google does a better job of it (or if it's just a problem of inconsistent 3G access on the streets of LA).
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 08:18:52 PM »

IT is going to love you come bandwidth usage report time. slywink

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 08:39:07 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on May 26, 2011, 06:06:24 PM

Quote from: lildrgn on May 26, 2011, 05:52:00 PM

It does has options to use wifi in the settings and when you say 'hard button controls' do you mean the physical buttons? My 4 droid buttons don't do anything with music when the screen is locked, menu unlocks, the other three do nothing at all, but music puts three new buttons on the touchscreen, rew, play/pause and ffwd.

I have my G2 rooted and though Winamp does put touch buttons on screen for pause/play/ff/rew, etc, with Cyanogenmod, I'm able to control the phone w/o looking at it. I use my camera button as pause/unpause, and my volume buttons as, well, volume, as well as advance/rewind. With the screen controls, I have to touch, then look, then press.

Call me lazy. smile

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 09:38:29 AM »

I got my invite today and tried a bit earlier. Its better than amazon's in that it works. Amazon would always buffer every 5 seconds and was basically unusable. Still uploading songs because our upload sucks even though it should be 1mb, it's like 128kb.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 01:30:06 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on May 27, 2011, 09:38:29 AM

I got my invite today and tried a bit earlier. Its better than amazon's in that it works. Amazon would always buffer every 5 seconds and was basically unusable. Still uploading songs because our upload sucks even though it should be 1mb, it's like 128kb.

Your connection is probably why Amazon didn't work for you, no?  Amazon works fine.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 02:19:02 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on May 27, 2011, 01:30:06 PM

Your connection is probably why Amazon didn't work for you, no?  Amazon works fine.

yeah, I was playing around with Amazon's cloud player last weelkend and it was playing fine and even had a decent upload speed.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 03:47:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 27, 2011, 02:19:02 PM

Quote from: Eco-Logic on May 27, 2011, 01:30:06 PM

yeah, I was playing around with Amazon's cloud player last weelkend and it was playing fine and even had a decent upload speed.

As of right now I'd suggest people stick with amazon. Google is horribly slow. It's been going for 24 hours and still is barely half done (7,941 of 15,052).
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 08:11:10 PM »

I haven't uploaded anything to Amazon.  I've just been using it as storage for all the stuff I buy from them.  It lets my buy the Deal of the Day without having to worry about downloading it immediately.  I can wait until I get home.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: