http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 11:28:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Google Chrome  (Read 2552 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« on: September 02, 2008, 08:24:11 PM »

It seems Google decided to suddenly release a beta version of their new Chrome web browser today. There are a lot of impressive and promising features in it that I hope other browsers will pick up as soon as possible (which shouldn't be a too big problem, considering that Google is releasing the most important stuff as open-source anyway). You can get it at the Google Chrome site.

I gave it a quick try so far, and it seems very fast. It's lacking a LOT of the luxury features in other browsers, but as the foundation for a new engine, it seems very, very solid. It's supposedly very stable and secure, and even if a browser tab should crash, the other tabs won't be affected.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 08:28:05 PM »

IB GOOGLE WILL KNOW YOUR BROWSING HABITS ONOS!!11!!

gellar
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 08:30:47 PM »

I like the idea of a Google browser, but I just have Firefox way too customized to switch right now.  Though I already have it installed to test sites on being that I'm a web developer
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:31:30 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 02, 2008, 08:28:05 PM

gellar

That was actually a concern of mine, and I'm still not sure if they actually do that. I know that when I downloaded Chrome I was given the option of submitting data to their testing centers automatically, which I declined. I'd be very interested in knowing if there is any data gathering going on behind the scenes.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 08:38:45 PM »

My God....Chrome is a hell of a lot faster than FF, IE, or Avant.  I'm hoping I start to see some of the plugins that I use on FF make their way here...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 09:02:08 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 02, 2008, 08:31:30 PM

Quote from: gellar on September 02, 2008, 08:28:05 PM

gellar

That was actually a concern of mine, and I'm still not sure if they actually do that. I know that when I downloaded Chrome I was given the option of submitting data to their testing centers automatically, which I declined. I'd be very interested in knowing if there is any data gathering going on behind the scenes.

If you really want to know... http://www.wireshark.org/

gellar
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 09:24:57 PM »

Took me a while just to download it, their servers were no doubt hammered. Anyway it's bare and minimal (which I like) and definitely fast. Looks promising thus far. For some strange and wondrous reason I couldn't load up gmail in it, of all websites.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:28:40 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 09:30:11 PM »

Quote from: spigot on September 02, 2008, 09:24:57 PM

Took me a while just to download it, their servers were no doubt hammered. Anyway it's bare and minimal (which I like) and definitely fast. Looks promising thus far. For some strange and wondrous reason I couldn't load up gmail in it, of all websites.

Gmail works for me in Chrome, at least.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 09:35:34 PM »

All I get is a blank white screen on my work machine. I'll try again when I get home.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 09:39:35 PM »

I agree with TiLT.  For now, it's lacking a lot of features I don't want to go without so I won't be ditching Firefox any time soon.  It is very fast though, and after experimenting with a lot of tabs I noticed all the used memory was properly released on closing the browser.  The interface is as you'd expect from Google, i.e. spartan and only just on the right side of usable.

I, too, was concerned about privacy and will definitely test it with Wireshark the next time I'm in Windows (Chrome is only available for Windows at the moment).  However, Google claim it's completely open-source so I would imagine many people across the world will be keeping a very close eye on it anyway.  If there's a concern, no doubt it'll appear on Slashdot or El Reg.

As things stand, then...promising, but I don't see any reason it should be anyone's default browser.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 09:47:11 PM »

I'm surfing GT right now using Chrome.  It's sorta neat.

Unless I'm missing something, there's no Google toolbar.  Which should seriously just be built in, I mean come on now...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 10:17:27 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on September 02, 2008, 09:47:11 PM

Unless I'm missing something, there's no Google toolbar.

I think they want you to just use the address bar, which they've designed to work - admittedly pretty well - with bookmarks, recently visited sites and search.  You can specify the default search engine in the options.

Steam profile
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 10:51:10 PM »

I like it. Where's the mac version, bitches.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 11:00:42 PM »

Unless I'm missing something, there's no Google toolbar.  Which should seriously just be built in, I mean come on now...

As Huw says, the address bar does everything now.

And so far, I like it. I haven't been to enough pages yet to figure out what I'm missing that I can't do without and it does seem pretty zippy, compared to Firefox 3. I'm also very partial to minimalist interfaces.

- Ash
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 11:08:06 PM »

Pretty cool. Fast. Looks to be easy on the memory.

Don't think I could live without Piclens, but it might be something to keep an eye out on.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 11:16:51 PM »

Very cool and SUPER FAST!!!

Mac version please!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 11:22:27 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on September 02, 2008, 11:00:42 PM

As Huw says, the address bar does everything now.

I'm talking bookmarks that follow on different computers and a way to look at PageRank, specifically.

TheMissingLink on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 12:07:20 AM »

so, when does Google evolve to the evil corporate entity?  icon_wink
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 03:40:23 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 12:24:14 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 02, 2008, 11:16:51 PM

Very cool and SUPER FAST!!!

Mac version please!

Mac version must be able to use the advanced touch pad that works like an iPhone before I will switch. FF doesn't even support it, so I am stuck with Safari on my MacBook Pro.

I do like Chrome on the PC. Very fast, and all those extra, luxury features are coming from what I read.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 12:25:53 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 03, 2008, 12:07:20 AM

so, when does Goolge evolve to the evil corporate entity?  icon_wink

It already has...

Great Google is watching.

And we love them for it.

*sips his teacup of gin*
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 12:33:48 AM »

Yes Google are the benevolent dictators!
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 01:00:02 AM »

Since I own 5000 shares of their stock, I hope they continue to be the benevolent dictators so when I retire, I will have plenty of money to play with.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 01:05:07 AM »

using Chrome to browse the forum right now...works well, but it's definitely nothing special.  while i can appreciate what they're trying to do, there just aren't enough features included right now to make me even consider using it over Firefox.  that said, i think there may be significant potential for Chrome as a browser for mobile or lower-spec platforms thanks to its efficiency and claimed stability.  it should be interesting to see how Google, as well as the open source community, improve Chrome now that it's gone public...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 01:41:56 AM »

Trying it now, and loving it. I love the interface, and it's bullet fast.

Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Safari ... it's all good. Anything but IE.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 01:49:42 PM »

Well, I found the first hiccup - it doesn't do older versions of java.  Applications I use at work require a very specific version of Java (not the newest, by far) so I can't update to find out if that fixes it either.  :/ 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 03:34:57 PM »

Oh, and let's not forget the security flaws.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 04:10:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 03, 2008, 12:07:20 AM

so, when does Google evolve to the evil corporate entity?  icon_wink

Don't worry about it.  What could be wrong with them releasing a browser?  It's not like they have a financial incentive to have us view the web in a certain way or anything.  paranoid

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 04:15:49 PM »

This isn't exactly encouraging (TOS):

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10030522-56.html

"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services."
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 05:21:24 PM »

Testing/reading this site on it now!  So far, so good...  and I was also able to run Gmail so I'm not sure why I read it wasn't compatible...
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 06:00:09 PM »

damn fast.  i would make this my portable browser app over firefox if at all possible. 

i like the webapps functionality. 

if they can keep the speed and stability while adding in the extensions that make firefox so great, then i just might switch. 

lifehacker had a speed test among this, ie and firefox. 

results?  not conclusive except in specific cases, but it does seem faster.  biggest advancement comes at a price.  individual process per tab increases total memory usage to give you better stability for the overall browser.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 06:06:10 PM by Caine » Logged

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2008, 06:11:37 PM »

Quote from: Laner on September 03, 2008, 04:15:49 PM

"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services."

*Ahem*  What the fuck is that?  It's as if somebody just came in an took a giant shit on my new favorite videogame.  The second you use the words 'perpetual' and 'irrevocable' you've left the land of Oz and entered the land of Make-Believe.  In what world does Google get to MODIFY my content because I use their browser?  Three words.

Un
In
Stall
Go
Fuck
Yourself

Never was good at math.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2008, 07:31:57 PM »

I tried it out a bit... see no reason to switch from firefox, and a few reasons not to...
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2008, 07:41:22 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 03, 2008, 06:11:37 PM

*Ahem*  What the fuck is that?  It's as if somebody just came in an took a giant shit on my new favorite videogame.  The second you use the words 'perpetual' and 'irrevocable' you've left the land of Oz and entered the land of Make-Believe.  In what world does Google get to MODIFY my content because I use their browser?  Three words.

Un
In
Stall
Go
Fuck
Yourself

Never was good at math.

Well said.  After closer inspection of the EULA myself, I think I'll join you.  I never really trusted Google anyway, and I certainly don't trust their browser now.

Steam profile
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008, 07:47:02 PM »

Un
In
Stall
Go
Fuck
Yourself

Never was good at math.

I think this is some lawyer speak...but from what I can gather here it is somewhat harmless (IMHO).  The first sentence (also IMHO) is really saying that they can change things that you submit to them (through google - not specifically through your browsing).  So if you let them view your "stats" - which I don't - then they can use that to for example say "I am Chrome, and I am stable."

So far its an interesting browser...but right now I'm using Firefox and Safari, so am not changing yet.

I think it is an interesting play on Google's part.  Along with their other web services, I think the browser makes sense.  So if they have an "Office" type of application and its on the web, then by using their own web browser - they are really creating the "client" piece of the system.  
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 11:13:07 PM »

Google on Chrome EULA controversy: our bad, we'll change it

Google's Rebecca Ward, Senior Product Counsel for Google Chrome, now tells Ars Technica that the company tries to reuse these licenses as much as possible, "in order to keep things simple for our users." Ward admits that sometimes "this means that the legal terms for a specific product may include terms that don't apply well to the use of that product" and says that Google is "working quickly to remove language from Section 11 of the current Google Chrome terms of service. This change will apply retroactively to all users who have downloaded Google Chrome."

It's worth noting that the EULA is largely unenforceable because the source code of Chrome is distributed under an open license. Users could simply download the source code, compile it themselves, and use it without having to agree to Google's EULA. The terms of the BSD license under which the source code is distributed are highly permissive and impose virtually no conditions or requirements on end users.

So, there you have it: a tempest in a (chrome) teapot. Not that it's the only one; as Ina Fried of News.com points out, Chrome's "Omnibar" can also access all keystrokes a user types, and Google will store some of this information along with IP addresses.

F U D

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2008, 02:53:14 AM »

Un
In
Stall
Go
Fuck
Yourself

Never was good at math.

The do this all the time...it's called placing ads on the web page you are viewing based on what you are viewing.  They can do this no matter what browser you use, unless of course, you block ads.  Doesn't mean they aren't doing it, though.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2008, 04:15:56 AM »

I thought that this was a pretty interesting way to learn about Chrome.  I still won't be using it any time soon, but interesting nonetheless.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2008, 05:57:51 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 04, 2008, 04:15:56 AM

I thought that this was a pretty interesting way to learn about Chrome.  I still won't be using it any time soon, but interesting nonetheless.

I have to say - that's a great way of showing off the 'powers' of Chrome.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2008, 03:03:22 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 04, 2008, 04:15:56 AM

They shoulda used a likeness of the Apple TV commercial guy.  icon_biggrin

And I think I'll make a WOW char called "ChromeBot".

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2008, 09:27:31 PM »

Interesting article on Chrome, the first true web 2.0 browser.

I found this quote to be in line with what I thought they were doing:

Chrome appears to be designed in great part to run AJAX and Web 2.0 applications. It's the only browser that has been built from the ground up for a world in which the browser is a front end to Web-based applications and services like those that Google provides, and like those that are used increasingly by businesses.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: