http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 09:37:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good web hosting?  (Read 1529 times)
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2004, 03:23:02 AM »

I currently host my website on a 6 year old PC in my living room.  :shock:

I'm looking to move some of it to a hosted site.  Thoughts?  Anybody know of a good host that's cheap?  How do pricing plans work with this?  Will they give multiple mySQL databases?

Me know nothin'.

:?:  :?:  :?:

Clanwolfer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 03:42:39 AM »

Dreamhost.  Had nothing but good service with them.  About $100-$120 a year for more bandwidth and disk space than most people need, with full PHP support (along with a bunch of other languages), multiple SQL databases (I run two wikis on mine), email, and full telnet/SSH support.

zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 04:23:04 AM »

Dreamhost seconded. Been so pleased with their service after 18 months, I renewed for two years fully prepaid.
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 01:02:16 PM »

Great, thanks.  I'll look into it.  Now for the tricky task of figuring out how to get everything there and working.

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 01:13:58 PM »

If one of you guys wants to officially refer me, you'll receive credit of $65 on your account.  I'm ccheaton at gmail dot com.

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 03:58:48 AM »

Well, my sites are moved over to Dreamhost.  However, I have to say that from where I am (Boston), sometimes it seems like their servers are on the moon.  That is to say that they are very very sluggish sometimes.  There's nothing really complicated going on there.  

Can you guys do me a favor?  Can you try hitting this site:
http://www.undiscussion.com
several times during the day (busy times, in particular) and let me know how responsive it is?  My comcast connection at home is terrible, so I never really know if the problems that I'm having are on my end or somewhere out in the internet.  My hunch is that they're in the internet somewhere.
The only thing there is an empty SMF forum.  

Thanks!

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 05:52:45 AM »

It's a freaking big page with what looks like lots of CSS and such, but it loads and renders fine and fast on Firefox 1.0.  No slowdown here, and even the main page renders in under a second (at 12:52 AM here, I'll try again tomorrow prime-time).  Try going to the command line and running 'tracert undiscussion.com' and see if it's a Comcast server or something in between slowing you down.

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 07:47:41 PM »

Thanks.  I've hit it a number of times from school today, and it seems a little better from here.  However, sometimes I have to wait 8-10 seconds for the page to load, which isn't normal.  At peak times, I think the problem is with Dreamhost.  I'm going to just have to keep checking it.

Thanks for trying it out for me.

I have trouble with tracert, too -- from school at least.  It always times out after the second hop.

Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 07:30:49 PM »

So are you guys still satisfied with Dreamhost?  Does anyone have any other/better/cheaper suggestions?

I've been with 8-95.com for 2 years or so, and have never had any problems with them.  However, now that I've needed some simple service (domain moved to different system) I've been waiting around for 2 days with little result.  That's not acceptable, so maybe it's time to move.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 03:59:20 AM »

Still satisfied, myself. Haven't experienced any of the slowdown that Bal referred to, but feeling a bit guilty about it all the same. YMMV I suppose, but personally I've never had the slightest problem, improbable though it may sound.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 04:13:16 PM »

I use 1and1 and haven't had the slightest hint of a problem with them.  My site used to be a blog but is now really just a repository for some personal stuff and a few funny pictures, so honestly it doesn't really get hammered with traffic or anything.  But I know a lot of people who use them and haven't heard complaints. [/url]
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 05:08:12 PM »

Thanks guys.  I like what I'm seeing at both 1&1 and Dreamhost.

I asked Dreamhost for some sample sites which they host, and I didn't notice any delays in any of them.
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 06:21:33 PM »

Another good one is www.micfo.com

On Sitepoint.com  (One of the best Webuilder sites on the internet) it is pretty much the main recommendation.

They even have a 30 day free trial plan.

I signed up and pay $7 a month for 1 gig of space, 40 gigs xfer and 6 MySQL Databases
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 12:10:02 AM »

I'm with http://www.hostrocket.com and they are the only place I've ever renewed with - I usually shop for someone else after a year.

Reliable service at a good price, and they keep upping my disk space. I've got so much I'll never use it all!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 02:04:58 AM »

I was all ready to sign up with 1&1 this evening.  This afternoon I discovered that they're starting a 6-month free trial, including registration of one domain.  Instead of spending $30 today, I spent zilcho...and my new domain is already live.  Now I no longer have any excuse not to get that website built.  Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: