http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 05:55:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Remote Control?  (Read 830 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2005, 03:56:12 PM »

My old Pronto remote broke after many years of abuse from kids, random falls, etc.  The screen finally shattered.  I don't want to spend $300+ on another one, so I'm curious what good remotes there are?

Things I want:
- ability to do macros, such as turn everything off, turn on TV to video mode 4, receiver on to DVD, and dvd player on
- easy control of my system, and possibly a touch screen so I don't need to remember the Tivo Guide button is button 'g' or something
- durability, with a 2 and 5 year old

Nice things:
- ability to program and download codes from the computer.  i know my TV has an access code to automatically set video 4, but the remote that comes with it doesn't, so there is no other way to program the remote.

So, what are good options?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 04:10:48 PM »

Newegg has most of the Harmony line of remotes for around the $100 mark.  Absolutely fantastic remotes.  Easy to program, and simple to use.  Can't recommend them highly enough.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 04:52:55 PM »

I'll throw in another recommendation for the Harmony line.  Programming was a snap.

My only negatives are:

1.  It has to be more precisely aimed at components compared to some other remotes I've used.

2.  The color screen on the expensive model is a disappontment.  In retrospect wish I'd gone with the monotone version.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 07:22:38 PM »

I have this one:

http://www.universalremote.com/products/index.php?item=mx700

You can find it online for under $200 these days. You can program a ton of macros on it. It does not have a touch screen but the buttons along the two sides of the LCD screen are fully programmable and can be labeled appropriately (you get three pages of customizable buttons on the LCD alone). All the programming of the remote is done through a PC and the software is pretty straightforward. It only took me about an hour to learn everything and set my remote up. Universal Remote Company regularly updates the software and is always adding more pre-made device profiles that are quick and easy to program into the remote.

As for durability, I've dropped it more times than I can remember and my one and a half year old daughter constantly plays with it/drops it/puts it in her mouth. No problems so far. The remote is built very solidly and does not feel flimsy or fragile at all.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 07:33:23 PM »

Harmony! Cheap (compared to Pronto) and you can use it without looking.

They aren't as powerful but get the job done.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 09:52:02 PM »

By the time I was five years old, I -was- the remote control.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 03:24:05 AM »

I'll join the Harmony crowd.  I just got one and am very impressed.  Seems like it has everything (and more, including video game system control options) you want.

Plus the one I have has faceplates!   :roll:

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 12:24:19 PM »

Quote from: "Jimmy the Fish"

I have this exact remote and love it as well.

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 12:51:26 PM »

Thanks guys.  I went with the MX-700 from Newegg.  I liked the layout a bit better then the Harmony's, and the programming package is great.  It should arrive today or tomorrow, but I've been playing with the programming software on the computer.  I like that I can load my old Pronto remote codes and copy them right to the MX-700.

The Harmony's looked nice as well, but I didn't like the web based setup quite as much, or the key layouts.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: