http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 08:25:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gonna Reset My Droid: Anything I should consider?  (Read 462 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2011, 10:18:15 PM »

My Droid has become prohibitively slow...it literally can take 10 to 15 seconds for the icons on the home page to populate any time I return it.

I have ap killer but it doesn't really do much and the performance has gotten worse with each subsequent OS upgrade.

So I'm going to make note of all the critical aps and copy any phone photos to the mem card...is there anything else I need to do prior to the wipe?

thanks.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 10:44:23 PM »

Root it and update to Cyanogenmod? If you are backed up all of your app purchases should be redownloaded automatically, and assuming you stored everything to google it should all be right there when you first sign in again. Just make sure you grab everything you want off of your SD card, pictures and whatever.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=670

One of the many guides there should help.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 11:01:41 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 05, 2011, 10:18:15 PM

My Droid has become prohibitively slow...it literally can take 10 to 15 seconds for the icons on the home page to populate any time I return it.

I have ap killer but it doesn't really do much and the performance has gotten worse with each subsequent OS upgrade.

So I'm going to make note of all the critical aps and copy any phone photos to the mem card...is there anything else I need to do prior to the wipe?

thanks.

Double check your contacts and make sure they're on your Google account. My wife and I both have an HTC Evo, and for some reason some of her contacts were phone contacts instead of Google contacts. Her phone kept getting stuck in a reboot cycle and the only solution was a wipe (and two hardware exchanges, but that's another story). She lost half her contacts because they were phone instead of Google. Now we double check whenever we add someone to make sure its on Google.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 11:27:13 PM »

Quote from: Calavera on October 05, 2011, 11:01:41 PM

Quote from: ATB on October 05, 2011, 10:18:15 PM

thanks.

Double check your contacts and make sure they're on your Google account. My wife and I both have an HTC Evo, and for some reason some of her contacts were phone contacts instead of Google contacts. Her phone kept getting stuck in a reboot cycle and the only solution was a wipe (and two hardware exchanges, but that's another story). She lost half her contacts because they were phone instead of Google. Now we double check whenever we add someone to make sure its on Google.

Thanks for mention this, its something I never thought of and I am now backing up my contacts to Google just in case.   thumbsup

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 02:30:34 AM »

there's an app to copy your sms messages to your gmail account if you want to retain those too.  make sure any apps that can back up their data are done before hand.  I've had to soft reset and hard reset my evo twice since I've had it and learned some hard lessons. 

also, on app killers.  I started out with one when I got the evo and used it all the time.  I don't use one now though with gingerbread and it's been fairly smooth until I open up a radio streaming app and a browser on top of the home screen widgets.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 04:24:38 AM »

App killer apps don't do anything with the newer versions of Android as it is. Just let the system manage itself.

The only reason you want to keep one handy is if you have a program that doesn't want to shut down right, or becomes a runaway app without the OS noticing (which is rare).

+1 to rooting and installing a custom OS. They're SO much better than stock it's not even funny.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 04:52:42 AM »

Yes: if you're going to reset your droid, don't let your nephew take it out the shop to do it.

Hint: it ends in stormtroopers and death.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 06:29:26 PM »

Well...in order to confirm that I had all my photos on my mem card, I popped it out and rebooted.  The phone ran smooth as silk.

So that begs the question: does the amount of data stored on the card impact performance?  In other words is the droid trying to check that dat everytime it has to process something?

I have music and photos and a few docs on the card...nowhwre near 16 gigs...
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 10:04:15 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 06, 2011, 06:29:26 PM

Well...in order to confirm that I had all my photos on my mem card, I popped it out and rebooted.  The phone ran smooth as silk.

So that begs the question: does the amount of data stored on the card impact performance?  In other words is the droid trying to check that dat everytime it has to process something?

Yes, as does the class of the memory card.  I recommend moving all the data on the memory card to your computer, formatting it (fully, not quick), and adding back only what you want to keep.  Then as everyone above said, Root it (it's simple and nearly riskless), install the rom of your choice and off you go.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 12:06:16 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 06, 2011, 06:29:26 PM

I have music and photos and a few docs on the card...nowhwre near 16 gigs...

The class of the card is a much much larger factor. The card that ships with my Evo is a class 2 card (e.g., 802.11b slow). Replacing it with a faster SD card will speed up transfers. If you have an app that is on the SD card but runs frequently/all the time, the phone can slow down as it has to wait for the data from the slow SD card.

Flash is not like a hard drive, how full the card is won't impact performance to the same degree, if at all. Remember that flash memory doesn't write sequentially for wear leveling, its spreading the data over the entire capacity the entire time.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 05:29:47 PM »

Lolwhat?

So yes it does matter the type of card but not the amount of data.

What if I'm just rolling with the card that came with the phone.  Will moving stuff off of it help or not?
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 06:08:35 AM »

Slightly off topic but I'm thinking of resetting my iPhone 3Gs as it seems to be a little bit slow these days. What would be the best way to go about doing that? Install the iOS5 update (when it comes out) and then do a factory reset or do a factory reset first and then install iOS5?  Or does it make any difference at all?
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 06:26:20 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 08, 2011, 06:08:35 AM

Slightly off topic but I'm thinking of resetting my iPhone 3Gs as it seems to be a little bit slow these days. What would be the best way to go about doing that? Install the iOS5 update (when it comes out) and then do a factory reset or do a factory reset first and then install iOS5?  Or does it make any difference at all?

It probably doesn't make a difference but I would say factory reset then install 5

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 04:39:18 AM »

Have you moved a lot if apps to the sd card?  Otherwise it could be data that it's trying to load...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 01:47:10 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 07, 2011, 05:29:47 PM

Lolwhat?

So yes it does matter the type of card but not the amount of data.

What if I'm just rolling with the card that came with the phone.  Will moving stuff off of it help or not?

I don't think it will.  Just my opinion though.  Honestly, root that sucker and you'll be floored.  I am confident that will fix your issue...

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: