http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 04:56:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gone.  (Read 990 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2008, 11:20:15 PM »

as i surreptitiously posted in lidrgn's thread, my stepfather was in failing health the last few years and had recently degraded the last two months due to COPD.  partially from smoking, but primarily done in by an incident a few years ago which led to stomach acid being inhaled during his sleep.  that did more damage then the smoking and reduced his lung capacity to less than a third total.  well, he passed on about a week and a half ago, the same day as paul newman did, in fact.  he wanted to go home to die and be among his family before he did.  about 20 minutes after saying goodbye to his sister, he went to sleep and slipped away. 

i haven't mentioned it as i really haven't stopped long enough to feel anything about it.  that's partly why i have posted in other places as it let my mind segment a little.  reading rickfc's post brought this to the surface, so here it is. 

he was 59.  RIP Mr Magoo (his net name from ghost recon and every fps, racing, and every other online site he visited)

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 11:21:29 PM »

I'm sorry for your loss. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 11:23:06 PM »

Our thoughts go out to you and your family.  We're terribly sorry for your loss. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 11:29:17 PM »

59 is so young...life and death are just not fair. Sorry for your loss.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 11:48:10 PM »

Sheesh. When will it stop???

As I mentioned in Rick's thread, we are here for you. I'm sorry to hear about your stepfather.

gc

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 11:51:09 PM »

sorry for your loss  icon_frown

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 12:24:34 AM »

frown  My condolences
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 12:31:41 AM »

Sorry to hear about your loss.  icon_frown

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 01:38:08 AM »

My sincere condolences Caine. 

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 02:39:32 AM »

icon_frown

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 03:59:40 AM »

Quote from: lildrgn on October 06, 2008, 11:48:10 PM

Sheesh. When will it stop???

As I mentioned in Rick's thread, we are here for you. I'm sorry to hear about your stepfather.

gc

We're a large and diverse group of gamers, but we're an aging group of gamers. Hell we have gamers here older than Caine's stepdad.  icon_cry Many of us are in our 30s which gives a lot us parents in their 60s and even 70s. My dad is fairly young at 62 but had already had bypass surgery and has had a pacemaker for 5 years. It's sad but inevitable.

I'm sorry for your loss Caine. It's amazing that a group of what many would call strangers like this internet forum could provide support in a time like this, but we're here if you need us.

-Coop

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 05:11:08 AM »

Sorry for your loss as well, Caine.  Having recently gone through this myself, I know it's hard.  Make sure you take the time to take care of yourself.  Right now, I'm sleeping in 2 hour increments.  I'm on my 2 hours up right now.   icon_confused

Rick
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 11:30:08 AM »

We're a large and diverse group of gamers, but we're an aging group of gamers. Hell we have gamers here older than Caine's stepdad.  icon_cry Many of us are in our 30s which gives a lot us parents in their 60s and even 70s. My dad is fairly young at 62 but had already had bypass surgery and has had a pacemaker for 5 years. It's sad but inevitable.

I can certainly attest to this.  When I read this last night, I had just gotten back from visiting my dad in the ICU after open heart valve replacement surgery.  frown

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 05:29:18 PM »

thanks everyone.  i have really tried to keep busy the last two weeks and be the strong one for my mother.  unfortunately, that side of the family drifted apart some years back after my great-grandmother passed, and while we keep in contact with a number of people, it's not like the old days where everyone lived within an hours drive.  we are in the middle of a big clean up to help her transition from a caregiver to independence.  tbh, that's where the games i have for sale came from.  he was playing pc games since the c64 days and still has one in the basement. 

i am torn at this point as work + family leave me with little extra time and i am not in a position to take time off.  they complained enough as it is for the two days i took off immediately following his death.  if he had died on a monday, i wouldn't have been able to help out as much as i did.   one more reason to bail on this joint when i can find an alternative. 

in any case, i am doing as well as can be expected right now, and as long as nobody at work gives me too much stress, i should be able to refrain from breaking their neck.  slywink

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 07:55:08 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 07, 2008, 05:29:18 PM

thanks everyone.  i have really tried to keep busy the last two weeks and be the strong one for my mother.  unfortunately, that side of the family drifted apart some years back after my great-grandmother passed, and while we keep in contact with a number of people, it's not like the old days where everyone lived within an hours drive.  we are in the middle of a big clean up to help her transition from a caregiver to independence.  tbh, that's where the games i have for sale came from.  he was playing pc games since the c64 days and still has one in the basement. 

i am torn at this point as work + family leave me with little extra time and i am not in a position to take time off.  they complained enough as it is for the two days i took off immediately following his death.  if he had died on a monday, i wouldn't have been able to help out as much as i did.   one more reason to bail on this joint when i can find an alternative. 

in any case, i am doing as well as can be expected right now, and as long as nobody at work gives me too much stress, i should be able to refrain from breaking their neck.  slywink

Sorry to hear about this, Caine, especially with the added aggravation at work.  Sometimes people simply suck, which makes everything worse.  Maybe you could just gently throttle a few throats - probably would make you feel a molecule better...

My heartfelt best wishes to you and your family - and yeah, what Coop said:

It's amazing that a group of what many would call strangers like this internet forum could provide support in a time like this, but we're here if you need us.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: