http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 07:06:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gone Gold Update  (Read 7828 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 10, 2004, 01:29:19 AM »

I just spoke with EV1 (who owns Rackshack, the company that hosts GG).   They were less than forthcoming with information as I don't have Rich's password (and rightly so) but I did get this out of them.

"I can tell you that this is not a technical issue.  Its something other than that."

You can take that for whatever it is worth.  He did say that if somebody has the password they could call in and get all the information (billing? plug pulled? whatever?) but since I don't have that information I'm shut out.  Mods?  Bill?  Stephen?  Somebody?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 01:35:06 AM »

If for no other reason, the repository of knowledge that was on the site and in the forums should be salvaged.  It would be great, assuming that it doesn't come back online, if SOMEBODY could just get a backup of the forum database and the other gold guide pages.  It would be a crying shame to lose that information.

Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 01:42:37 AM »

Hey Knight, thnx for the legwork- better to light a candle than curse the dark / a trickle on info is still a lot in a drought / insert whatever otehr bad analogy comes to mind.  Guess that reinforces the  prevailing "uh oh" theory though. Hope Rich is OK; rest is fixable.
RookieCAF
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 01:45:39 AM »

Yea, Regardless of the website, which I miss, I don't like the sound of it.  :cry:

The forum database is priceless, and not to mention the Gold Guide, even if its not up to date.

~Rookie
Attitude Determines Altitude
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 01:48:06 AM »

Sounds like Gone Gold is indeed gone.

It's too bad it had to end the way it did. It would have been nice to be given a heads up or a "Goodbye". To just pull the plug is somewhat rude and after all these years, it would seem we 'deserved' something better than what went down. Of course, it is Rich's site and he can do whatever he wants with it, I am just kind of disappointed.  frown

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 01:51:36 AM »

Well, lets not get too disheartened until we hear from somebody in the Rich/Stephen level of things.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 02:02:57 AM »

From being a GGer for many years, I believe Rich is a very proud, loyal, and strong willed man. I really don't think if it was in his power he would pull the plug on his site. He has had so many opportunities and good reasons to do so in the past and yet he has never, ever, wavered.   Gone Gold even in it present sate was still an incredible Gaming forum. I mean where else could you find such a wide array of game developers, editors, designers, reviewers popping in on a regular basis as well as the loyal crew.

At this point I actually hope I am wrong and that Rich did decide to just drop the site, because the alternative, is a very troubling thought indeed.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 02:08:12 AM »

Ye Olde Farte
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 02:27:32 AM »

Were the trader reputations saved?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 02:35:06 AM »

Raven, I believe so. Blackhawk I believe had a recent save of that information, but if I'm wrong then feel free to correct me.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Wolfsix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 03:01:47 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Sounds like Gone Gold is indeed gone.

It's too bad it had to end the way it did. It would have been nice to be given a heads up or a "Goodbye". To just pull the plug is somewhat rude and after all these years, it would seem we 'deserved' something better than what went down. Of course, it is Rich's site and he can do whatever he wants with it, I am just kind of disappointed.  frown

Lets not go piling on Rich so fast Hetz. I think it has been quite obvious for some time that Rich has some serious problems in his life.  Lets hold off on making dispariging comments until we get the facts. I don't know Rich personally, but from what I do know about him, I doubt he would just pull the plug without saying goodbye.

Have you forgotten? -- Darryl Worley
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 03:23:04 AM »

Disparaging comments? All I said is that if everything has gone down the way it seems, that I was disappointed and that it was somewhat rude to just pull the plug. I didn't slam Rich and I even said he could do as he wished with the site.

Sheesh...

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Velvet Elvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2004, 03:45:23 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

"I can tell you that this is not a technical issue.  Its something other than that."

That just gives me a pit in my stomach.  I hope my imagination is worse than reality.
Wolfsix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2004, 03:50:36 AM »

My post might have sounded harsher then I wanted it to Hetz and for that I'm sorry. The point I was trying to make is that it seems like some people are just assuming that  Rich said oh screw it and pulled the plug. I'm more of the opinion that real life has hit him again and maybe it is much more serious then we know about.  Rich is a class act and I would like to think that if he was able to, he would let us know if he was going to close the site down.

Have you forgotten? -- Darryl Worley
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2004, 03:56:42 AM »

Is it dead yet?

I'm hoping that Rich and his family are doing well. Even if this is the end it would be in a way..fitting. Sudden, unexpected, just like everything else in life.

How does this work again?
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2004, 04:08:01 AM »

I presume that Ron called so that we had two accounts from EV1 rather than because he didn't believe me.  Certainly two independent witnesses are more credible.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but when they told me the account was cancelled on the 5th, I had the distinct impression that they meant that someone had called up and cancelled it.  That's as opposed to a billing problem or something.  My thought at the time was, "Gone Gold is over."

Ron's mentioned that it's a burden at times to run a website when you just aren't able to get things done.  Even on my small website, I know that's true.  Before people criticize Rich, if he did pull the plug, you might want to ask how he could do it in a way that would be less painful for him.

Sure, if he said, 7 days to doomsday, he'd get lots of thanks and good lucks, but he'd also get pleas to keep it running, turn it over, save this or that or the other.  Would that really be easier or better?  I think we all agree that if it's Rich's health or Gone Gold, we'd want Rich to be healthy.  So if it does turn out to be over and we don't get further word, let's just assume it's in Rich's best interest and this was the easiest way for him.  Surely we owe him that much.  I know I do.

Be careful out there, Tiny Fuzz.  God bless you and your family Rich.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2004, 04:21:11 AM »

Hrothgar, I just wanted to see if I could get more information.  I knew you had called....I am just as surprised as the rest of you.   I just want to know whats going on...the hardest part is waiting and hoping.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2004, 04:26:26 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Hrothgar, I just wanted to see if I could get more information.  I knew you had called....I am just as surprised as the rest of you.   I just want to know whats going on...the hardest part is waiting and hoping.

I know, I was just teasing.  My attempts at humor are even more dry than usual when I'm down.

You're doing a great job here and have handled this situation exceptionally well.  Thanks.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2004, 04:46:41 AM »

I've always thought the GG forums are hosted by Steven. I may very well be wrong, but can we contact him to get the GG forum db, and reconstruct the forums ourselves?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2004, 04:57:11 AM »

Stephen maintains the forums.  Stephen is in Canada.

....and by popular demand:

thumbsdown

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2004, 04:58:42 AM »

Anybody still have Rich's address? I'd like to drop him a line and say thanks...
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2004, 05:04:47 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Disparaging comments? All I said is that if everything has gone down the way it seems, that I was disappointed and that it was somewhat rude to just pull the plug. I didn't slam Rich and I even said he could do as he wished with the site.

Sheesh...

I don't know, this statement is pretty presumptious when nobody even knows the facts.

It would have been nice to be given a heads up or a "Goodbye". To just pull the plug is somewhat rude and after all these years, it would seem we 'deserved' something better than what went down.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2004, 05:13:05 AM »

While Hetz may be jumping ahead a bit, things do look kind of gloomy right now, and I think IF that's what happened (Rich just yanked it), then I can understand his complaint.

However, I think that the Rich that we all know wouldn't in his right mind do all this, and that's kind of what concerns me.  I'm not going to get mad at Rich even if he did do this without warning.

I have had severe depression in the past, and I know it can make you behave strangely, and do things you wouldn't normally do. This may not be the case with Rich now, but it would explain a lot. It's my understanding that he's not been in contact with ANYone GG-related in quite some time, including Bill & Andy.  This is the part that, coupled with this sudden outage, really concerns me.

I guess I'm trying to say I'm concerned about Rich right now, more than anything else. I can relate to feelings that would make one say "f**k everything"

I just wish there was a way we could find out. It would be nice to hear from Stephen, if he knows anything.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2004, 05:20:39 AM »

/agrees with Hetz

A website is very tough to maintain and run.  I know this first-hand from difficulties running several of my own throughout high school and college.  However, I also realize that by consistently maintaining one, you take on some responsibility for the community you create.  I have all the sympathy in the world for Rich's health problems and his service to the gaming community.  I know he has a tough time with everyday things, and has more pain in a day than I've probably had in my lifetime.  In spite of that, it's hard to feel like GG was properly cared for when the problems have been going on for years and no real steward was ever appointed.  No one can replace Rich, but I would think someone could be designated as the go-to person when Rich is unavailable and the site is in trouble.  That there seems to be no one who is in that position is unfortunate, and seems irresponsible to the community.

Maybe the problems couldn't have been avoided and I'm just being a big asshole.  I admit that's a possibility.  But the lack of communication is not promising.  People out there like me loved Gone Gold.  That's why I think it's ok to show a little bit of consternation when you go to look for it one day and it's simply disappeared.  It may be a cheesy analogy, but it's like a good friend has just up and left town and not told anyone why or where he's going or if he'll be back.  That would hurt, and in a kind of way, the way all this has gone down hurts in a similar manner.  Hopefully if the site can't be resurrected, the community that was there will live on in this or another site.  Definitely thanks to Rich for the great site, but I'm sorry it had to end the way it did, if this is indeed the end.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2004, 05:38:16 AM »

I think it's time for us to leave things to a higher power, so to speak, and sit tight until (unless?) we hear something.  All this wild speculation about Rich being depressed, deceased crybaby , or unable to handle the difficulty related to running the site is making me depressed, given that we have precisely zero in the way of evidence supporting those conclusions.  paranoid  We know the site went down, we're reasonably certain the account was canceled, and that's it.  We all want to know what happened, and I believe that at some point we'll find out.  But we've done all we can, and before we beat this horse all the way down to China, let's let nature run its course.  ninja  

:idea: Or ignore my ign'nt ramblings; to each his own.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2004, 05:46:51 AM »

Quote from: "Zaxxon"
I think it's time for us to leave things to a higher power, so to speak, and sit tight until (unless?) we hear something.  All this wild speculation about Rich being depressed, deceased crybaby , or unable to handle the difficulty related to running the site is making me depressed, given that we have precisely zero in the way of evidence supporting those conclusions.  paranoid  We know the site went down, we're reasonably certain the account was canceled, and that's it.  We all want to know what happened, and I believe that at some point we'll find out.  But we've done all we can, and before we beat this horse all the way down to China, let's let nature run its course.  ninja  

:idea: Or ignore my ign'nt ramblings; to each his own.

I agree, I just don't see the point in jumping to conclusions about why the site is down.    Yes Rich created a community, yes it would suck if he just packed up left without anything to say.  But do we know if that happened?  No, will we ever?  Who knows,  but to assume that's what happened is a little unfair.
Osprey a.k.a. Gollum
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2004, 12:34:03 PM »

Well, after 2 frustrating days of trying to figure out what was wrong with Gone Gold I stumble on this site.
I'm not a console gamer at all so I never even knew this exsisted.

I'm holding out hope that all will work out right in the end for Gone Gold.

Its amazing how much creatures of habit we become. Not being able to visit GG forums through the day put my internet time into a very disconcerting flux......

Anyway, I hope all is well with Rich and his family and that whatever the reason for this down time........I will always be grateful for his commitement to "us" gamers.

***Osprey pulls up a chair and attempts to get comfortable in his new digs***

Worry only causes harm.
HarveyB
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2004, 01:03:13 PM »

Can one of the mods edit or delete bplotkin's post? While I'm sure he/she had the best intentions, the last thing the person at that number, whether or not it's our Rich,  probably wants is hundreds of calls from GG'ers.

Perhaps the numbers should be privately passed to someone who has talked to Rich in the past, and only that person should make the call.

The Artist Formerly Known as TGB
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2004, 01:50:25 PM »

Bplotkin is Kahless, so I am quite sure he doesn't have the best intentions.
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2004, 02:05:00 PM »

Blech.
bplotkin
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2004, 02:07:57 PM »

I have no intention to fuel old arguments, but I will say that that information is publicly available--it's from a Yahoo People Search.  I know that someone had said they had tried to call--was just wondering if those were the numbers they'd had.
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2004, 02:13:07 PM »

Quote from: "bplotkin"

*address deleted 'cause I'm not an ass*
317-xxx-xxxx
317-xxx-xxxx

This is the only address for a Rich LaPorte in Indiana.  These are the two phone numbers associated with that addy.  To the person/people who've tried to contact Rich--are these the numbers you tried?

Dude.  Thake that s*** down.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2004, 02:18:51 PM »

Ye Olde Farte
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2004, 02:39:06 PM »

Frankly, bplotkin, I'm amazed you'd show your face here, after things you've done at GG.  You've got gall, dude.
Peacedog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2004, 03:02:24 PM »

Jeff, this situation positively *begs* for some of your favorite GG forum rejects to show up and cause trouble.

We've got a fake MSD and several banned parties already starting.  Just ignore them.  I know the CG forum staff is plenty capable of handling any problems.  For our part, we should not pay potential problems any attention whatsoever.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2004, 03:07:04 PM »

Quote from: "Peacedog"
Jeff, this situation positively *begs* for some of your favorite GG forum rejects to show up and cause trouble.

We've got a fake MSD and several banned parties already starting.  Just ignore them.  I know the CG forum staff is plenty capable of handling any problems.  For our part, we should not pay potential problems any attention whatsoever.

Yeah, you're right. I guess I was just a tad emotional about this one, since I was one of those who fell for one of his scams.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2004, 03:20:08 PM »

bplotkin,

I've removed the personal information posted here.  While it is considered distasteful to post somebody's information openly on the internet, no matter how easy it is to obtain, somebody did request it.  In the future, please make use of our private message system to send personal information.

Thank you,

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2004, 04:10:55 PM »

FYI if anyone saw the numbers, the first number was the one I had and called.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2004, 07:41:48 PM »

Quote from: "Peacedog"

While I qualify as a banned party, I'd like to make it clear that I have no intention of causing trouble.  Now that we're on a forum that has a little more sensible moderation, I seriously doubt I'll be inclined to take matters into my own hands when it comes to abusive users.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
unbreakable
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2004, 08:33:13 PM »

From #GG, found it amusing-

Peacedogging: Bad moderation of online forums. Also, "Pulling a Peacedog."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: