http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 01:11:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gone Gold having server problems again?  (Read 2486 times)
Hrothgar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« on: September 13, 2004, 08:43:07 PM »

It seems to vary from extremely slow to unable to connect at all.  Does anyone know that status of Gone Gold and its forums?  Thanks.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 08:54:29 PM »

It's down  for me and I am told it is down for others as well via AIM.

Maybe they are upgrading the server or changing the software?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 09:00:13 PM »

Maybe they are upgrading the server or changing the software?
If they are, they are leaving everyone out of the loop.  I would say that the odds of that are somewhere around the odds of a Duke Nukem Forever gold announcement .  Or better said:

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 09:20:03 PM »

I would think only GG moderators or GG admin would know what is going on for sure.

Would be great if more GG people came over here though to have some conversations biggrin

P.S. There is no way Stephen found the time to upgrade the software given his last post in the EBG forum over there.  I think he was working on a book and work was overloading...no way he found the time to work out the kinks that are still there supposedly.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 09:41:45 PM »

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Thank you...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 02:09:01 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
:roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Thank you...

I liked your analogy and picture... biggrin

Wake up.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 03:31:50 PM »

Hehehe...I'll get you, and your little dog too.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 06:12:51 PM »

I'm wondering if Stephen found something better to do... like mowing his lawn or organizing his sock drawer. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 08:45:28 PM »

Ugh, forget it.  I don't know why it's always this time of day that it gets so SLOOOWWWWW.  I may have to make all my GG visits at the dead of night. It seems to be functional at that time.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2004, 12:25:24 PM »

I usually hit the site in the early morning.  You would think that with a couple thousand members and the constant complaining that someone would get on the ball and fix the damn problems.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2004, 02:37:47 PM »

Quote from: "ericb"
I usually hit the site in the early morning.  You would think that with a couple thousand members and the constant complaining that someone would get on the ball and fix the damn problems.

You'd think, no?

I'd go through the absolutely giant list of things that Ron and the tech crew (well, just Eldon mainly) have done to not only this site, but this forum, in the time that the Gone Gold servers have been having problems, but I don't want to bring up old wounds again. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004, 07:11:19 PM »

Is there any way that this place could become the official alt home for Gone Gold.  I mean there's no site that's really closer to GG than CG.

Perhaps you could get Stephen to send you a copy of the converted User list and import it.  You'd have to deconflict duplicates, but I know if you guys were working on it, it would actually get done.

Anyway that would mean that Gone Golders wouldn't have to create new accounts.  The move over here would be seamless whenever GG went down.

Just an idea.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2004, 07:31:16 PM »

What... we're not already the home-away-from-home for Gone Golders? slywink

I think the trick is getting Stephen to do... well, anything at this point. For example, we came in this morning to work and our e-mail and website were down. Turns out that our webhost cut out and ran last night about 1 a.m. Hell of a way to start a Monday...

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2004, 07:34:23 PM »

Quote from: "Hrothgar"
Is there any way that this place could become the official alt home for Gone Gold.  I mean there's no site that's really closer to GG than CG.

I doubt GG would go for your idea and I know quite a few GG forum goers are very anti-CG.  I know I'd love to have more users over here because our forums actually stay up, but I don't see a lot of GG posters coming over here willingly.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2004, 08:58:14 PM »

Well, we actually did try the idea of a co-located forum user database.  It was an idea that was eventually shot down by more politics than anything technical.  I found the forum conversion software in November of last year.  Between then and now the conversion was supposed to be done 100 times over.  Eventually I got fed up with it, nixed the co-location idea, and opened what we have now.  The downside is that, frankly, I don't know what I'm doing with this software so I'm learning a lot as we go.  I've been very careful to keep the code safe with backups and good advice from people (readers and staff alike) before I implement anything new.   We'll end up with something very different than the Gone Gold experience I think, but one that I hope would be compatable with everyone, GG, CG, or otherwise.

As for us becoming the defacto GG alternative, that's a decision that is far outside of my hands.  Its a personal choice that each person will have to make for themselves.  The only suggestion I have is that if you like this place and what we do, tell your friends.  If you don't like something we do, tell us so we can fix it.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
Hmm
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2004, 09:45:16 PM »

I think sharing a database would cause more trouble than it's worth.  I was suggesting you just take the user list once and wash your hands of it.   For instance, you could filter out all people with less than 10 posts, filter out people already here (by email address), then resolve any naming conflicts (perhaps by appending a GG or something on the end).  Then just import that list as new users here.  That way everyone has an established account (if possible with the same password).  It's little things like that that make it easier for people to come over.  

I don't know if that would resolve the politics or not.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2004, 10:19:37 PM »

Well, since you asked about it I'll pursue it, but don't expect anything. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2004, 11:00:55 PM »

Eh...  People will get all antsy about their Member Number and blah blah blah.  Gonegold was my favorite gaming site for a long time, when Rich was more involved, but I rarely check it now.  Frankly, the forums have grown too big for their britches, and there are some nasty folks that have taken to posting there.  A lot of the conversations degrade into name calling, etc...  I'm a happy member of CG, and this is where the vast majority of my game discussion happens.  The only change that I would make here is to have a PC Gaming forum and a Console Gaming forum, just to separate out those topics.  Otherwise, it's great.

Also, phpBB is easy to work with and hard to mess up.  I knew nothing about it at the beginning of the summer, but have put together multiple bulletin boards since then, most of them customized in one way or another, and 2 of them integrated with Coppermine.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: