http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 02:40:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going to NYC in November.....need touring help  (Read 643 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2008, 04:29:35 PM »

The wife and me (along with our 5 year old son) will be heading to NYC for the first time in November.   I'm running the NYC Marathon on the 2nd, but we are making a vacation of it and plan to be there Oct. 31 - Nov.4.  This will be both of our first time there and we need some help on how to get around the city and what to see while we are there.

We'll be staying across from LaGuardia and won't have a vehicle.   My wife is asking about a bus tour around the city, but i'm not sure i want that.   There are a few spots we definitely want to see....Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, China Town, and probably more that i'm missing.    Is a tour a good idea or is it better to just grab a cab and go where we want?

Also, we are huge sushi lovers and want to hit a really really good sushi restaurant while there.   Any good recommendations for sushi?   We are also huge Bobby Flay fans and she wants to go to Mesa Bar and Grille one evening for dinner.   But any other food ideas are appreciated.

Basically, i'd like ideas on the best way to see the nice places for me, my wife, and son for a few days.

ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 04:54:20 PM »

When I was in New York, I found the subway system to be excellent.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 05:07:20 PM »

Don't stay across from LaGuardia.  Stay somewhere actually in the city.

There's plenty of good sushi in the city depending on your budget.  I can recommend a few good places in my neighborhood on the Upper West Side, but I don't know if you would have any reason to be in this neighborhood as there aren't really tourist attractions, other than Lincoln Center I guess.

You don't need a car; in fact you're probably better off without one.  I've never been on a bus tour but I see them around a lot.  I'd stick with the subway, supplemented by cabs if it's late and your kid is tired.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 05:25:07 PM »

Also recommend staying in the City if at all possible. There is so much more you can do simply by walking outside your hotel. Take the money you would spend on cabs and put it towards a hotel. For city travel, the subways are fine and really you can walk most places (except the Statue of Liberty). I have no problems taking my kid on it.

I never did a bus tour, but the double decker tours run tons of buses, so it may be a really good way of getting a good view of the city with some commentary. I'd recommend the Central Park zoo for the kids as well as a walk through the park and check out the famous fountain, carousel and bridges that you've probably seen in a million movies.

My advice for great day is to take a walk up 5th avenue, starting at the NY Public Library at 42nd street, enter the park by the zoo around 59th street, head north through the Park taking in the landmarks and come out at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. At the Museum, check out the Arms and Armor, Temple of Dendur (ever play Rainbow 6?) and roof garden (for great views).

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 05:25:23 PM »

well the reason i'm staying by LaGuardia is because of the marathon....thats next door to one of the official hotels, so we booked at the Crowne Plaza Laguardia Airport.

so how much does the subway cost?   can you buy a couple day pass for it?   and is it best to only do that during the day and a cab at night?

as far as meal budget, we are looking for really good, but not ridiculous pricing.   somewhere in the $100 range wouldn't be unreasonable for us.

SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 05:40:28 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on June 18, 2008, 05:25:23 PM

well the reason i'm staying by LaGuardia is because of the marathon....thats next door to one of the official hotels, so we booked at the Crowne Plaza Laguardia Airport.

so how much does the subway cost?   can you buy a couple day pass for it?   and is it best to only do that during the day and a cab at night?

as far as meal budget, we are looking for really good, but not ridiculous pricing.   somewhere in the $100 range wouldn't be unreasonable for us.

Metro Card ftw. I just wandered, and loved it.

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 08:30:37 PM »

a single subway trip will cost you $2 if you're paying for them one at a time.  you can buy a MetroCard loaded with a certain amount of credit, use it until you're running low, then refill the card at kiosks in most of the subway stations.  if you're just visiting the city for a few days and plan to use the subway a lot, however, buying a Fun Pass is your best bet...$7.50 for a card the gets you unlimited rides from the time you purchase it until 3am that night.  the Fun Pass is a great deal if you're planning to use the subway instead of walking most places.

in all honestly though, you don't even need to take the subway all that much if you plan your day well...pick an area of the city that you want to visit (midtown, financial district, brooklyn, etc), take a subway ride that drops you in that general area, then spend the rest of the day walking from place to place.  when i visit, i usually drive down to the jersey side of the hudson river (parking on JFK Blvd East) and take a shuttle into manhattan that drops me off at the main port authority bus terminal (42nd st & 8th ave)...leaves you about a block from Times Square, where you can hop on the subway and get to just about any other area of the city for a single $2 ride.  once you're in the general area that interests you, there are usually plenty of things to see and do within walkable distance of each other.  at the end of the day, you find the nearest subway station that takes you to your way out of the city, pay another $2 and call it a day.  just make sure you take a pocket map of the city with you that includes subway routes, and it's pretty easy to find your way around efficiently. 

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 08:49:18 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on June 18, 2008, 04:29:35 PM

The wife and me (along with our 5 year old son) will be heading to NYC for the first time in November.   I'm running the NYC Marathon on the 2nd, but we are making a vacation of it and plan to be there Oct. 31 - Nov.4.  This will be both of our first time there and we need some help on how to get around the city and what to see while we are there.

Halloween in the City is lots of fun.  The parade and surrounding festivities are usually a good time, but it might be a bit too rough for a 5 year old.   It gets really crowded.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 10:02:47 PM »

ok, metrocard is sounding more like the what we'll use for transportation......unless one of those city tours is really recommended by somewhere here...especially since we won't be staying in the city itself.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: