http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 11:29:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Godzilla to return to American shores  (Read 5317 times)
Zekester
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2014, 11:24:40 PM »

Hot damn that looks good  thumbsup

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2014, 02:49:10 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on February 25, 2014, 08:20:31 PM

Why do monsters hate the Statue of Liberty?

at least this one is in Vegas this time, you can see from the background
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2014, 02:57:52 PM »

Fine.  Why are monsters against gambling then?  If done responsibly by adults it can be a source of fun and entertainment.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2014, 03:19:19 PM »

I hope Godzuki is in this.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2014, 04:53:40 PM »

Leaked scene

Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2014, 08:36:35 PM »

If there is no Gamera I won't see it.

ninja
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2014, 10:41:11 PM »

Either Bryan Cranston is slumming or this is going to be much better than the average monster movie.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2014, 10:56:36 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on February 28, 2014, 10:41:11 PM

Either Bryan Cranston is slumming or this is going to be much better than the average monster movie.

Or him being in it as Godzilla was created by the finest Meth he ever made  icon_lol
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2014, 08:33:23 AM »

Having sat through the latest Godzilla trailer three times in three days (twice on IMAX) during my Captain America: The Winter Soldier saturation viewing  drool, I can say it seems to have the right feel on the one hand; on the other hand, parts of it felt like a jazzed up Cloverfield (though Thanks God Godzilla isn't going the hand-camera route), for better or worse.

It doesn't help that ALL summer movies now are looking to obliterate the world in some way, so the trailers for Godzilla, Transformers: We Can't Stop Making ThemTM, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Michael Bay Reboot Nobody Asked ForTM, and Spider-Man: Marc Webb Tries to Cram Every Villain in Spidey's Universe into One MovieTM and X-MEN: Days of Future Past We're All Such Sad Miserable X-Men We Have to Send Wolverine Back to the 1970s To Make Us Sing Kumbaya Around an Apocalyptic FireTM Bring your own! We put the fun in funeral practically mushed together into one gigantic clanging mush of universal obliteration.

Now I'll probably go see at least two or three of those, but it's almost as if all the summer movies are borrowing from the same directors' playbook. I'm not sure Guardians of the Galaxy will work for mass audiences but at the very least, it seems to be truly trying something different.

Anyway, Godzilla seems to have the right tone at least and an almost Jaws-like building of foreboding. imho, that's the way to do it. Hopefully they'll pull it off.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:35:12 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2014, 03:29:25 PM »

http://youtu.be/64c6VLNJQiE

SO GOOD
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2014, 02:27:35 PM »

ohmygodohmygodohmygod...

Godzilla is not alone

EDIT:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Ah, apparently I assumed this was Mothra just like this I09 guy did, but I guess "Muto" was already known to be in the movie.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 02:30:13 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2014, 02:36:37 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 29, 2014, 02:27:35 PM

ohmygodohmygodohmygod...

Godzilla is not alone

EDIT:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Ah, apparently I assumed this was Mothra just like this I09 guy did, but I guess "Muto" was already known to be in the movie.

Holy shit, that looks awesome.   eek

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2014, 03:14:09 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Mothra was who I was hoping it to be

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2014, 03:15:28 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on April 29, 2014, 03:14:09 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Mothra was who I was hoping it to be

Spoiler for Hiden:
It's still possible.  I put that I09 article in spoilers because I really enjoyed the few moments I thought it was definitely Mothra and figured others would, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2014, 04:33:17 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 29, 2014, 02:36:37 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 29, 2014, 02:27:35 PM

ohmygodohmygodohmygod...

Godzilla is not alone

EDIT:
Spoiler for Hiden:

Holy shit, that looks awesome.   eek

This looks bad ass.  Great popcorn movie to see in the theater.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2014, 11:52:52 PM »

I don't get it... where's Matthew Broderick?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2014, 03:40:30 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on April 29, 2014, 11:52:52 PM

I don't get it... where's Matthew Broderick?
Torches and Happiness!

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2014, 04:56:11 AM »

if you live around the Seattle area, tomorrow and Saturday:

Uncut, uncensored, and undubbed, the original “Monster of Mass Destruction” returns to the big screen like you’ve never seen him before, fully restored with 40 minutes of unseen footage and completely revised subtitles.

http://www.siff.net/cinema/godzilla
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2014, 01:42:29 AM »

Just got back from seeing it. It was well done, for the most part.

A rare Godzilla movie with some depth, probably about equal to the original '54 movie in that sense. It does drag at times, but what Godzilla movie didn't? You can't watch monsters fight the whole time, right??

Special effects were subdued, compared to, say, a Transformers movie. But they were still there enough, and cool.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Like some others have said, there seems to be more time spent showing the other monsters. Meh, didn't bother me. Godzilla was well-done, although his fire breath was a little too subdued IMO and the final battle scene could've ended better i.e. a fire shot to the head from a distance instead maybe? I dunno.

Minor nits aside I hope it does well enough that a couple more are made.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:58:47 AM by Zekester » Logged

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »

The guy with the Godzilla Avatar enjoyed the Godzilla movie?  Color me surprised.

Tongue

Seriously though, I'm glad this is gearing up to be a good flick.  This looks like a great popcorn movie and worth a viewing in the theater.

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2014, 04:40:54 PM »

hey, there are no bad Godzilla movies....just varying levels of goodness  icon_wink

on a couple side notes, the gf and I seen it in imax 3d but there was hardly any 3d to be seen in it. There was an awesome imax demo before the movie started. The enthisiastic audience loved it.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2014, 01:33:16 AM »

Woohoo!  I just got back from the movie and really enjoyed it as well!  I had tried to avoid the latest trailer(s) and spoilers, but knew a bit about it. 

My biggest "complaints" would probably be the restraint in showing Godzilla and some of the fights, and that they didn't use the Godzilla March music at all, not even in the credits.  There was a lot of generic orchestral stuff that didn't really create any theme for me.  Pretty minor issues from a Godzilla fan. 

Overall it gets a big thumbs up!

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2014, 01:31:01 PM »

Going to see it with the kids today, been really looking forward to this one... nod
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2014, 10:28:49 PM »

Saw it today and it was ok...good but not great.  It would have been much better if they had cut about 30 mins of non-monster parts out in the middle.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2014, 05:51:19 PM »

Quote from: ericb on May 17, 2014, 10:28:49 PM

Saw it today and it was ok...good but not great.  It would have been much better if they had cut about 30 mins of non-monster parts out in the middle.
This... I'd have to revisit the old ones, but I seem to remember a lot more Godzilla in a Godzilla movie.. My wife even mentioned that there wasn't enough godzilla/monster fights.
Spoiler for Hiden:
(No, 1/2 an hour of showing his back fins while swimming doesn't count.
I could have been happy if they cut the price and showed the last 30 minutes or so..
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2014, 07:24:59 PM »

It did seem like they showed more of the Mutos than Godzilla, and certainly not as much raw fighting footage as Pacific Rim, but I think you'd be surprised how little monster fighting there is in a lot of the older Godzilla movies. 

Not to say I wouldn't have liked more of that as well and a bit less of the human story, but I would say the pace was pretty similar to some of the others. 

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2014, 03:34:48 PM »

It was respectful of the franchise's history, it didn't try to introduce Michael Bay cuteness devices, and it didn't make Godzilla into GodGecko like Emmerich tried to do.  So it was mostly a success with me.  I did feel that Godzilla was treated almost like a bit player in his own movie.  His introduction was almost perfunctory, and the cutaways to other stories right before two of the initial fight scenes just as they began was a bit maddening.

And Cranston probably worked about 48 hours on this and most likely walked away with a cool million or more.  Good for him!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2014, 04:11:37 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 20, 2014, 03:34:48 PM

And Cranston probably worked about 48 hours on this and most likely walked away with a cool million or more.  Good for him!

Yeah, it was kind of weird that they had some really established actors like Juliette Binoche, Sally Hawkins, Ken Watanabe and Brian Cranston but they weren't used nearly as much as I had hoped or expected.  Watanabe mostly just got to have like half a dozen different looks of shock on his face as the camera pulled in slowly.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2014, 10:41:34 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 20, 2014, 04:11:37 PM

Yeah, it was kind of weird that they had some really established actors like Juliette Binoche, Sally Hawkins, Ken Watanabe and Brian Cranston but they weren't used nearly as much as I had hoped or expected.  Watanabe mostly just got to have like half a dozen different looks of shock on his face as the camera pulled in slowly.

The movie felt overly long to me, and I felt like they could have easily cut 15-20 minutes out of the front end.  Really even if they took the Cranston backstory out of the movie, it would have had little impact for me.  It's a Godzilla movie, let's see Godzilla!  I was enjoying the buildup to an extent, but I guess I had higher expectations to what the buildup would mean for the rest of the movie.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2014, 11:03:13 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 20, 2014, 10:41:34 PM

The movie felt overly long to me, and I felt like they could have easily cut 15-20 minutes out of the front end.  Really even if they took the Cranston backstory out of the movie, it would have had little impact for me.  It's a Godzilla movie, let's see Godzilla!  I was enjoying the buildup to an extent, but I guess I had higher expectations to what the buildup would mean for the rest of the movie.

I think you might be surprised at the average screen time of Godzilla in the typical Godzilla movie.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2014, 04:57:33 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on May 20, 2014, 11:03:13 PM

I think you might be surprised at the average screen time of Godzilla in the typical Godzilla movie.

Yeah that's what I've been reading, but I suspect (actually let me check) the older movies are actually much shorter as well, so the percentage of screen time is really what counts.  Original Gojira is... 96 minutes, and most of the others look to be around the 90 minute mark.  This new one was over 2 hours.  It wasn't really the amount of Godzilla time I felt was lacking, but more that the movie itself was overly long.  The human element storylines just weren't very compelling IMHO.

It seemed like they wanted to build it up (and advertise) as maybe an epic disaster movie (btw what happened to the Statue of Liberty being destroyed from the commercial??) or maybe they were modeling after Independence Day, I dunno.

- - -

On a complete side note, there's a new Dungeon Raid-type game out on iOS called Smash3 or something like that, featuring visuals from the movie.  It's free and actually quite good!
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2014, 05:11:36 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 21, 2014, 04:57:33 PM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on May 20, 2014, 11:03:13 PM

Yeah that's what I've been reading, but I suspect (actually let me check) the older movies are actually much shorter as well, so the percentage of screen time is really what counts.  Original Gojira is... 96 minutes, and most of the others look to be around the 90 minute mark.  This new one was over 2 hours.  It wasn't really the amount of Godzilla time I felt was lacking, but more that the movie itself was overly long.  The human element storylines just weren't very compelling IMHO.

It seemed like they wanted to build it up (and advertise) as maybe an epic disaster movie (btw what happened to the Statue of Liberty being destroyed from the commercial??) or maybe they were modeling after Independence Day, I dunno.

- - -

On a complete side note, there's a new Dungeon Raid-type game out on iOS called Smash3 or something like that, featuring visuals from the movie.  It's free and actually quite good!

There's a replica of the Statue in Vegas.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2014, 08:43:02 PM »

Interestingly, the movie seemed "better" after a second viewing.

The pacing seemed ok this time, and a couple things made more sense. It actually did feel like an old Godzilla movie that was given the HD treatment.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2014, 12:56:32 AM »

Saw it today. I enjoyed tthe film overall, though I think Aaron Taylor-Johnson showed less emotional range than the dead MUTO. I wish they had kept Cranston around, especially since he had a real emotional investment in seeing these creatures killed. His son just kept coincidentally ending up in the creatures' vicinity and  emotionlessly hiding out. The monster part of the film was very good. The action was framed well; too often, these movies use shaky cam, but this one allowed me to actually enjoy what fighting they showed, though I really wanted to see their first meet-up.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2014, 05:34:18 AM »

For any Godzilla fans, this breakdown of all the Godzilla suits over the years and what movies they were used in is really cool.  I didn't realize quite so many of them were used in just portions of later films, leading to odd consistency issues.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2014, 01:06:30 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on May 21, 2014, 08:43:02 PM

Maybe because the second time you were sober?

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2014, 01:26:48 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 22, 2014, 01:06:30 PM

Quote from: Zekester on May 21, 2014, 08:43:02 PM

Maybe because the second time you were sober?

more like without girlfriend  paranoid

When seeing any sci-fi movie with a girl I tend to get pulled away from the movie wondering whether she's enjoying it too.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 22, 2014, 01:59:10 PM »

I am happy so many of you liked it but after seeing it I just don't get it.  I thought it was terrible.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The vast number of things that made no sense just pissed me off.
1. No one goes near the first site because of radiation....but none of that radiation goes anywhere in the world.  After Fukashima (sp) we saw radiation spikes in the US completely across the Pacific!  After 15 years someone would have noted there was nothing coming away from the plant in the movie.  It just makes no sense.

2. Things that are fried by EMP don't just turn back on after the EMP fades.  There circuits are destroyed.  It happened again and again in the movie and it was just dumb.

3. The silly ways the hero kept getting right into the middle of stuff.  They would never put him in charge of the mission to keep the bomb after arresting him in the quarantined city.  And the number of things he was an expert in was just over the top.

3a. The number of times he just goes from being military to civilian was dumb.  He comes home, the goes to Japan as a civilian, then in brought along with the military, then let go so he can have the scene with the kid on the subway/public transit in Hawiaii, then is back in the military running the train, then leads the Halo drop, then is just hanging out with his son at the refugee camp after the fight as a civilian again.  After rescuing you off the boat with the nuke they probably wouldn't just let you go with everyone else at the baseball stadium. 

I could probably go on and be annoyed at more stuff - ie the pay phone he calls his wife from just felt silly, the bus being trapped on the bridge was cliched and unrealistic - the military might be lots of stuff but I think they know not to strand people on a bridge like that.  However rather than just rant I will just be happy you folks enjoyed it and hope I like X-men more.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2014, 02:21:46 PM »

The thing that didn't make the most sense to me was that giant, radioactive monsters don't really exist.  After I accepted that, I was able to just be a kid again watching monster theater on saturday morning.

But I can certainly understand your complaints.  I've made similar comments about other shows.  I think it all comes down to what you can personally tolerate.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2014, 02:32:22 PM »

I'd say only number 3 is a valid complaint.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: