http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 05:30:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Godzilla to return to American shores  (Read 4616 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2014, 02:43:45 PM »

misuse of EMP's is a valid complaint in almost any movie.  It's not more or less confusing than the Pacific Rim EMP debacle though.  analog nuclear what now?
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2014, 02:54:55 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 22, 2014, 02:21:46 PM

The thing that didn't make the most sense to me was that giant, radioactive monsters don't really exist.  After I accepted that, I was able to just be a kid again watching monster theater on saturday morning.

But I can certainly understand your complaints.  I've made similar comments about other shows.  I think it all comes down to what you can personally tolerate.

I was very careful to not point out that the monsters don't exist because I went in with this premiss - the world is completely like our world (physics, time, etc.) but there are huge monsters.  That is the only thing that is not "real."  The things I mentioned are things that are not part of the monsters but are also not real. 

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2014, 02:56:29 PM »

Mmm, but it's more a complaint about movie physics in general really, I don't think it should be held against Godzilla, more that movies always get this stuff wrong.  Also it's at least internally consistent with the EMP, as opposed to Spielberg's War of the Worlds
where everything got shut down except for someone's camcorder so he could do a cool shot from it of the tripods as it lay on the ground.  The third complaint I feel is valid as it gets into plot problems.  Also one specifically shouldn't expect realistic science from
these giant monster movies, square cube law pretty much negates them from the get go.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2014, 03:13:21 PM »

I even accept that #3 is necessary for us to care about the main character, but they could have written it a bit better.  In many movies like this they make the hero an expert in some aspect that is crucial to destroying the monster.  In Godzilla they portrayed him as a common grunt. 

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2014, 03:24:55 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on May 22, 2014, 01:59:10 PM

I am happy so many of you liked it but after seeing it I just don't get it.  I thought it was terrible.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The vast number of things that made no sense just pissed me off.
1. No one goes near the first site because of radiation....but none of that radiation goes anywhere in the world.  After Fukashima (sp) we saw radiation spikes in the US completely across the Pacific!  After 15 years someone would have noted there was nothing coming away from the plant in the movie.  It just makes no sense.

2. Things that are fried by EMP don't just turn back on after the EMP fades.  There circuits are destroyed.  It happened again and again in the movie and it was just dumb.

3. The silly ways the hero kept getting right into the middle of stuff.  They would never put him in charge of the mission to keep the bomb after arresting him in the quarantined city.  And the number of things he was an expert in was just over the top.

3a. The number of times he just goes from being military to civilian was dumb.  He comes home, the goes to Japan as a civilian, then in brought along with the military, then let go so he can have the scene with the kid on the subway/public transit in Hawiaii, then is back in the military running the train, then leads the Halo drop, then is just hanging out with his son at the refugee camp after the fight as a civilian again.  After rescuing you off the boat with the nuke they probably wouldn't just let you go with everyone else at the baseball stadium. 

I could probably go on and be annoyed at more stuff - ie the pay phone he calls his wife from just felt silly, the bus being trapped on the bridge was cliched and unrealistic - the military might be lots of stuff but I think they know not to strand people on a bridge like that.  However rather than just rant I will just be happy you folks enjoyed it and hope I like X-men more.

Never go see a sci-fi movie again.

Actually, might want to never watch any movie again.

icon_confused

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2014, 03:38:15 PM »

Like I said, everyone has their own tolerance level.  I'm sure Farley enjoys some films that others pick apart for various reasons as well.  I don't believe he's being unreasonable in any way.  I was just teasin' him earlier about the giant monster thing.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2014, 04:14:24 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on May 22, 2014, 03:24:55 PM

icon_confused

I think you are missing my underlying complaint.  This was supposed to be the "real" world where they discovered giant monsters. That is all that is supposed to be sci-fi  People can't fly, there is no ability to create ice out of air, or turn into a colossus with metal skin (since X-Men comes out this weekend.)  In movie worlds where those things are part of the world I accept that Magneto can lift an entire stadium.

Godzilla didn't setup that kind of movie world.  Or at least I didn't feel they did.

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2014, 04:18:41 PM »

I know, I was kidding you. To each their own.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2014, 04:23:37 PM »

Sorry I didn't get it.  Usually I am good at detecting kidding...math is hard, kidding is easy.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2014, 04:50:04 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on May 22, 2014, 04:14:24 PM

Quote from: Zekester on May 22, 2014, 03:24:55 PM

icon_confused

I think you are missing my underlying complaint.  This was supposed to be the "real" world where they discovered giant monsters. That is all that is supposed to be sci-fi  People can't fly, there is no ability to create ice out of air, or turn into a colossus with metal skin (since X-Men comes out this weekend.)  In movie worlds where those things are part of the world I accept that Magneto can lift an entire stadium.

Godzilla didn't setup that kind of movie world.  Or at least I didn't feel they did.

Giant monsters of the sort in Godzilla pretty much defy physics, it's as out there as any of the X-men powers.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 22, 2014, 04:58:59 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Edwards is apparently a Godzilla fan, but i'm a bit baffled at why he decided to go with such a weak fire-breath. Did he never like that part of the movies?

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2014, 05:08:05 PM »

Shock:  The film is said to be more grounded and “real” so how to you plausibly handle his creation, his atomic breath and other elements?

Edwards:  It was important to me to make it as believable as possible and with all of those elements you’ve mentioned, they’re in the film but I tried to put them in the film where they’re not so fantastical that you don’t believe it.  Hopefully, the only big buy the audience has to make – and I believe there can only be one buy – is that giant creatures can exist.  Beyond that, we try to make it as realistic as possible.  Throughout the franchise, there’s consistently been these elements related to Godzilla and they’re in this film, but it was about making it feel natural in our film.  I can’t go into much more details.  There is a nuclear element in the movie.

Going by this, farley2k has a good point. I think Edwards failed a bit too many times on the realism he was admittedly going for.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 22, 2014, 05:21:05 PM »

I thought they handled the nuclear fire breath scene pretty well.  Godzilla is obscured by the dust from the carnage and you suddenly see part of his tail.  It lights up a bit...then it gets brighter and travels up his spine needles, until we get a scene of him emerging from the dust and blasting away. 

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 22, 2014, 05:26:36 PM »

all true. but still....weak.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2014, 05:49:58 PM »

I think Screen Junkies is reading this thread.

Did Godzilla Suck?! MOVIE FIGHTS!!

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2014, 12:06:02 AM »

I thought the movie was fun but a little dry and long, and I wish Aaron Taylor Johnson was more interesting in it.  Either take your shirt off or put on your Kick Ass costume dude, because I'm falling asleep  icon_lol
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2014, 03:13:11 PM »

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2014, 03:30:32 PM »

icon_lol

Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2014, 08:19:59 PM »

Legendary Pictures is upping the ante for the Godzilla sequel by adding  Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: