http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 04:05:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glee  (Read 5545 times)
Azhag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2009, 03:19:15 AM »

Ok, sad to say I watched this tonight but it actually was pretty fun and has promise. I didn't really have high expectations but I'll be back for at least a few more episodes. One of those more light-hearted tongue in cheek shows with characters that know and accept their oddness (not that I'm saying loving glee is odd if any of you do...).
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 03:54:19 AM »

When this first came out last year I watched it since Jane Lynch rocks.  It was a pleasant surprise that I enjoyed the rest of the show, too.

Did I miss the start of season 2?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 08:24:29 AM »

Quote from: Shinjin on September 03, 2009, 03:54:19 AM

Did I miss the start of season 2?

You didn't even miss the start of season one, as all they've shown is the pilot.  The first season begins September 9.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 08:51:48 PM »

I just watched the "director's cut" of the premiere last night.  I've now seen that single episode I think 4 times, and have watched the closing number (Don't Stop Believing) a bunch more.  I simply love this show.  If they can keep up the quality of the writing and production numbers, it should be a surefire hit.  It's hard to describe to people though, it's something like a hybrid cross between Freaks and Geeks, Bring it On and American Idol for lack of a better comparison.  I have to say it literally filled me with "glee" the first time I saw it, there was just a great vibe to the whole show.  It's funny, it's touching, it's heart-warming, but also leaves you with a bittersweet feeling of "what if?" for your own life (for those of us who never pursued a far away dream).  Can't wait for the series to start.

P.S.  They are showing the premiere again on Friday with tweets or something like that.
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 03:39:34 PM »

The wife and I watched this last night and we both liked it. Being a former vocal jazz member the wife really liked it.

My only real gripe with the show is the way, way, WAY obvious pitch correction being used. The final number was fucking painful to listen to. Wish they'd have just used live singing instead of over-tweaked studio performances.

Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 02:59:53 PM »

Watched this the other night.  It looks like it's gonna be a pretty good show. 
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »

Quote from: tiktokman on September 04, 2009, 03:39:34 PM

My only real gripe with the show is the way, way, WAY obvious pitch correction being used. The final number was fucking painful to listen to. Wish they'd have just used live singing instead of over-tweaked studio performances.

My wife and I really enjoyed it as well.  There's just something about the cast of characters, and of course the music.  But we also have the same gripe with the pitch correction.  Not only is it jarring and painfully obvious, but it also leaves me wondering if the actual actors are doing the singing or if there are a few voice stand-ins.  I truly hope that we're hearing actual singing from the actors even despite the studio performance overlay as they're all pleasantly talented, but you can't help but wonder.

Still, we'll be tuning in each week.  Fabulous

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 05:45:26 PM »

I'm pretty sure the majority of the singing is from the actors themselves, it's just pre-recorded and mixed.  Not to be mean as I love the main jock, but his singing is just OK - really doubt it's a stand-in.  Ditto for the teacher, vocals were just OK on Golddigger.  The lead girl has arguably the strongest vocal talents and I don't think she is getting as much correction.  Also keep in mind they are selling the songs on iTunes and will be releasing soundtracks, so I'm sure it's more efficient to release the more "professional" sounding versions.  Anyway, I don't notice the corrections too much, and when I do they don't really bother me much.

Ep 2 was a little off from 1, but still had some great standout lines from the Cheerios coach lady (I loved her in 40 YO Virgin) and some decent musical numbers.  I need to re-watch the episode to get a better feel as I think I was anticipating it a bit too much and may have been unfair.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 07:36:54 PM »

My wife and I loved it. I missed the pilot the first 10 times they aired it, but finally caught it last week (seriously, has any show in recent memory been pimped this hard?)

The main reason I missed this the first time around is that I didn't realize it had musical numbers. I'm a sucker for musical numbers. Add in high school awkwardness, an underdog story, and Jane Lynch, and I'm ALL OVER IT. It's really a great combination all around. Will catch up on the second episode this weekend.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 08:17:34 PM »

if you haven't already please turn in your man cards.....

icon_biggrin

i can't believe I am the first to say that.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 08:57:03 PM »

I don't have to.

I'm:

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 11:08:54 PM »

For those who missed the first episode it apparently is reairing tonight at 8pm (at least locally in Arizona) on Fox.

biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 11:19:14 PM »

It's also on Hulu.

Just finished watching 2nd ep on Hulu.  icon_biggrin
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 02:56:53 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on September 11, 2009, 05:45:26 PM

I'm pretty sure the majority of the singing is from the actors themselves, it's just pre-recorded and mixed. 

From Wikipedia:

Once music rights are cleared, songs are arranged and pre-recorded by the cast.

So songs are pre-recorded, but at least they're done by the actual cast.  Looking forward to the next episode to see if the series has legs.

Also looking forward to Season 2 of Lie To Me.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 09:16:15 PM »

My wife and I have watched the first two episodes and while we think the show is funny, there is way too much sex/emphasis on sex for our tastes and will not be watching any further episodes. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 01:23:41 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 14, 2009, 09:16:15 PM

My wife and I have watched the first two episodes and while we think the show is funny, there is way too much sex/emphasis on sex for our tastes and will not be watching any further episodes. 

I'll tell you the show you should definitely stay away from then - The Secret Life of the American Teenager. This is Brenda Hampton's followup to Seventh Heaven. My wife religiously watches a lot of bad TV on the CW and ABC Family, and I wind up witnessing a lot of it. Seventh Heaven got positively absurd the last couple of seasons and spent enough time of its own focused on sex, but it appears the characters on Secret Life spend about 80% of the time talking about who they have had sex with, who they want to have sex with or whether they should or should not have sex.

The one show on ABC Family that I will say is pretty decent is Greek, and I will tend to pay attention to it if it is on.

As far as Glee goes, I didn't think the second episode was as good as the first.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 05:59:44 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on September 15, 2009, 01:23:41 PM

Quote from: Arkon on September 14, 2009, 09:16:15 PM

I'll tell you the show you should definitely stay away from then - The Secret Life of the American Teenager. This is Brenda Hampton's followup to Seventh Heaven. My wife religiously watches a lot of bad TV on the CW and ABC Family, and I wind up witnessing a lot of it. Seventh Heaven got positively absurd the last couple of seasons and spent enough time of its own focused on sex, but it appears the characters on Secret Life spend about 80% of the time talking about who they have had sex with, who they want to have sex with or whether they should or should not have sex.

I can understand Secret Life being an issue for some conservative folk as they tackle teen pregnancy, teen sex, teen affairs, homosexuality, abstinence, sexual abuse, and other sexual issues on a regular basis.  It can be a bit too much but the fact is a lot of it is honest and real, which I suppose not everyone wants to be confronted with.  It's an interesting show though, and the writing/pacing is very strange (sometimes rushed) compared to conventional network shows.

Glee, on the other hand, has had 2 episodes.  Episode 1 I don't recall anything overtly sexual or anything that could be considered "way too sexual".  Episode 2 there was the abstinence club scene with some limited discussion of sex, and very little else that I recall.  The final "shocking" routine with "Push It"?  If you were offended by this as being too sexual, I don't know what to tell you.  A few grindy type moves by teens covered head to toe in clothes is not what I'd call provocative.  Turn on the radio and listen to some Lady Gaga or watch some Beyonce videos.  Or check out MTV and watch True Life discussing "polyamorous relationships."  Glee is pretty damn tame compared to 90% of what's on TV these days.  Anyway, to each his own. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 06:53:18 PM »

ABC Family is kind of a strange channel as it is. The name implies that the shows are family friendly, although it's more like "shows you should watch with your family and then discuss afterwards". And then if you leave it on past 10pm they show the 700 Club, which always causes my wife to dive for the remote. Apparently that is something to do with CBN actually owning the channel and ABC doesn't really want anything to do with it.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 07:44:09 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on September 15, 2009, 06:53:18 PM

ABC Family is kind of a strange channel as it is. The name implies that the shows are family friendly, although it's more like "shows you should watch with your family and then discuss afterwards". And then if you leave it on past 10pm they show the 700 Club, which always causes my wife to dive for the remote. Apparently that is something to do with CBN actually owning the channel and ABC doesn't really want anything to do with it.

It was part of the stipulations when Pat Robertson sold the network to Fox that The 700 Club be shown twice a day.  ABC acquired the channel as a group under the purchase of Fox Family Worldwide, which wouldn't have given them the rights to address the previous buyout contract.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 10:54:47 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on September 12, 2009, 02:56:53 AM

Quote from: rittchard on September 11, 2009, 05:45:26 PM

I'm pretty sure the majority of the singing is from the actors themselves, it's just pre-recorded and mixed. 

From Wikipedia:

Once music rights are cleared, songs are arranged and pre-recorded by the cast.

So songs are pre-recorded, but at least they're done by the actual cast.  Looking forward to the next episode to see if the series has legs.

Also looking forward to Season 2 of Lie To Me.

The cast is no joke - both leads (the teacher and the dark-haired female student) are both well-regarded Broadway musical theatre actors.  I can't speak personally to the girl, but Matt Morrison was a colleague of my fiance at NYU's Tisch school and she speaks very very highly of his talent.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 08:43:47 PM »

Ep 3 focused a bit too heavily on the teacher and not enough on the Glee kids IMHO, but still was a good one.  In only 3 episodes, our teacher has waffled on his group twice already?  I think this plot would have been better suited later in the series, but oh well.  Cute cameo by Josh Groban, and some winning lines by Jane Lynch and Stephen Toblowsky (sp?).  The Beyonce (?) window smash song was pretty slick, as was the Mercy number.  Still nothing that has grabbed me from the core cast as much as Don't Stop Believing did, but that might be unfair since it was such a surprise and now expectations are different.  As before I'll likely have to watch the episode a second time for a fairer assessment.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 04:53:57 PM »

This week's Beyonce football dance number was one of the funniest things I've seen on TV in a long time.  I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes.  Absolutely hysterical.  But I felt that this week's episode focused too much on the baby crap and I really wanted the show to focus more on music.  The underlying baby stories are awful and they're already wearing thin on my patience.  The rest of the show is really fun, but the baby stories are terrible and are really ruining the show for me.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 09:12:47 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on September 25, 2009, 04:53:57 PM

This week's Beyonce football dance number was one of the funniest things I've seen on TV in a long time.  I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes.  Absolutely hysterical.  But I felt that this week's episode focused too much on the baby crap and I really wanted the show to focus more on music.  The underlying baby stories are awful and they're already wearing thin on my patience.  The rest of the show is really fun, but the baby stories are terrible and are really ruining the show for me.

I agree.  I could do without the baby storylines, and honestly I'm getting a little annoyed with the sabotage stuff as well.  I mean, they have enough going against them already without dealing with that craziness, and constantly having one of the "Big 3" (teacher and 2 leads) threatening to quit.  There is more than enough material to farm just from the characters themselves, and doing more singing.  Of course Jane Lynch and Stephen Toblowsky are pretty damn funny, so I guess they need something to do.

I still love the show, but I find myself loving certain elements and getting annoyed at others.  The coming out storyline on its own was excellent, funny and touching, particularly with the folding in of the Beyonce/football sequence.  The baby stuff and the sabotage is starting to wear on me - I just wanna see these guys perform.  Next week's preview looked promising.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2009, 05:19:25 AM »

I go back and forth on the show, even as I'm watching it.  I'll start to lose interest, and then they'll have some great musical number or really good scene, and I'm back.  The show is an interesting mix of cynical reality and corny optimism, but they need to do a better job of integrating the various parts of the show.  Also, I don't think they've mentioned it on the show, but according to cast/character lists, Stephen Tobolowsky's character's name is Sandy Ryerson.  Perhaps he's Ned's twin brother  icon_biggrin

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 01:33:43 PM »

Yeah, with this week's show I realized how much I miss the musical numbers when they're not there. The "Single Ladies" dance stuff was hilarious, but I definitely missed not seeing more actual music numbers. All we get is that mediocre Asian chick's rendition of a boring West Side Story song? Lame.

I'm also getting annoyed with the baby stuff. His wife is such a dumb ass, and her reluctance to tell the truth is really starting to stretch the limits of my belief. If you can't tell the truth, just tell him you had a miscarriage for God's sake. Are they seriously going down the path of having her try to fake a pregnancy for 9 months and then adopt and try to pass the child off as her own? Seriously?

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 03:13:18 PM »

I like this show. I have to wonder though, is this like High School Musical for adults?

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 05:43:28 PM »

Quote from: raydude on September 28, 2009, 03:13:18 PM

I like this show. I have to wonder though, is this like High School Musical for adults?

No, more like High School Musical for actual high school age people (and above).  HSM is for pre-teens and below.   Tongue
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 05:54:51 PM »

I figured it was going to be like HSM when I first saw the commercials, but none of the songs are original and all the singing takes place in realistic settings (no one just breaks out into song in the middle of a conversation), so it's not really like it at all.

Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2009, 05:57:41 PM »

I am still watching, but the pregnancy story lines are really turning me off.  They are both stupid and unbelievable.  I hope they get shoved to the wayside soon.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2009, 06:26:32 PM »

Quote from: Dramatist on September 28, 2009, 05:57:41 PM

I am still watching, but the pregnancy story lines are really turning me off.  They are both stupid and unbelievable.  I hope they get shoved to the wayside soon.

+1
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »

Now THAT was an episode!!!!

Last night's show was an epic that rivaled (and perhaps surpassed) the original premiere.  Multiple musical numbers, including a stunning performance of Queen's "Somebody to Love" and an awesome take on Carrie Underwood's "Last Name" from Kristin Chenowith (last seen on the pie show).  The duet between the teacher and her on Alone was also awesome.  Just an all around great musical night for the show, and very little about the pregnancy or the sabotage.  This is what the show should be like every week but I suspect they will only do these "big" episodes every 4 or 5 to make them feel more special. 

On the acting side, I loved seeing Finn run his seduction scheme, that was about as hot a come on as a dumb jock could pull off.  I love the actor and I think he does a great job coming across awkward and vulnerable and dorky but still adorably cute.  Kristin is awesome, she needs her own show.  I do hope they bring her back again.  Also the counselor chick was great.

Big thumbs up again!!!
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2009, 08:59:46 PM »

Agreed, last night's episode was good, plenty of musical numbers and barely any of the annoying baby sideline.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2009, 09:04:33 PM »

Damn.  My wife was watching as a friend and I completed the plumbing for our kitchen sink (had to lower the "T" for our main drain line and re-plumb the sink line in the wall along with all plumbing directly under the sink), so I heard bits and pieces but pretty much missed the episode.  I'll have to watch online, even though the musical numbers sound WAY better in surround sound in our living room rather than on the computer.  Still, I'm hooked enough to actually watch online to catch up with what I missed.

Fabulous

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2009, 06:12:07 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on October 01, 2009, 05:25:00 PM

from Kristin Chenowith (last seen on the pie show)

that "pie show"?  It's called Pushing Daisies.  Show some respect!   slywink

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2009, 05:55:09 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on October 02, 2009, 06:12:07 AM

Quote from: rittchard on October 01, 2009, 05:25:00 PM

from Kristin Chenowith (last seen on the pie show)

that "pie show"?  It's called Pushing Daisies.  Show some respect!   slywink

LOL I just remembered it on the walk in from work.  BTW, if you really like the music (and Kristin), I recommended purchasing the duet of "Alone" from her and the teacher on iTunes.  I never thought of Alone as a song you could do a male/female duet with but they make it work amazingly well, and I think this is the best he has sounded.  Kristin is perfect and the overall version is wonderful.  I wish they had shown a more complete version during the episode, but I guess it's nice to have the "full" audio version available.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2009, 06:40:37 PM »

I'm enjoying the show, but I wish they could make the vocal productions fit in more seamlessly.  I know they record the songs separately and then dub the audio in later, but I wish they would tone down the studio processing and let them sound more organic.  (I'm sure I'm not using the proper technical terms, but you know what I mean.)  The sound editing in Glee is a bit more jarring than usual for this sort of thing.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:43:50 PM by Freezer-TPF- » Logged

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2009, 09:17:17 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on October 02, 2009, 05:55:09 PM

LOL I just remembered it on the walk in from work.  BTW, if you really like the music (and Kristin), I recommended purchasing the duet of "Alone" from her and the teacher on iTunes.  I never thought of Alone as a song you could do a male/female duet with but they make it work amazingly well, and I think this is the best he has sounded.  Kristin is perfect and the overall version is wonderful.  I wish they had shown a more complete version during the episode, but I guess it's nice to have the "full" audio version available.

I was very disappointed when the song ended so quickly on the show.  It's right up there with "Rehab" from the pilot as my favorite musical number from the show.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2009, 11:40:24 PM »

I wish they would tone down the studio processing and let them sound more organic.

Yeah, that's one of my major gripes at the moment as well. The processing going on just makes their lip-synching seem absurdly artificial. So artificial, in fact, that if I didn't know already that they sing their own music I'd swear it was just a bunch of studio singers doing it for them.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2009, 12:57:50 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 02, 2009, 11:40:24 PM

I wish they would tone down the studio processing and let them sound more organic.

Yeah, that's one of my major gripes at the moment as well. The processing going on just makes their lip-synching seem absurdly artificial. So artificial, in fact, that if I didn't know already that they sing their own music I'd swear it was just a bunch of studio singers doing it for them.

Agreed. It's very off-putting.

I've watched all but one episode of this now and I still can't decide if I like it. I always enjoy the scenes with Jane Lynch, but the rest of the show I could probably do without.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2009, 07:26:56 PM »

A boy band take on Bon Jovi and Usher from this week's episode - videoicon_biggrin

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: