http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 10:37:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gift Cards  (Read 1631 times)
unbreakable
« on: December 13, 2006, 11:26:57 PM »

NPR is talking about how gift buyers tend to prefer gift cards.  But what I'm wondering is, do gift getters like gift cards?

Personally, I don't mind getting one, but there are places I don't really shop, so sometimes it can be inconvenient or not really useful.  For example, I like coffee, but if someone gets me a Starbucks gift card it's not really useful, since I don't really like 'buckies.

As for giving, it seems like a "I want to put as little though as possible into your gift" kind of gift.

What do you guys think?  Yea or Nay?
ROTC1983
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 11:29:35 PM »

The whole point is that you can choose your gift.  If a person doesn't drop subtle hints on what they like to purchase, a gift card is the easy way out, but it gives the received a choice (albeit limited) on what to purchase. 

Jerome

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 11:47:03 PM »

I love gift cards as long as it's somewhere I would shop.  It's so much better than getting something you don't really want or the wrong thing and having to return it.  In the past, when I would specifically ask for something it was almost guaranteed I'd get the wrong thing. 

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 11:48:43 PM »

I only list one store for my giftcard wishes.  This stems from a year I received like 7 gift cards from 6 different stores.  I'd rather get one larger item than 6 different little things that I probably have to chip money into anyway.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 11:56:11 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 13, 2006, 11:26:57 PM

NPR is talking about how gift buyers tend to prefer gift cards.  But what I'm wondering is, do gift getters like gift cards?

Personally, I don't mind getting one, but there are places I don't really shop, so sometimes it can be inconvenient or not really useful.  For example, I like coffee, but if someone gets me a Starbucks gift card it's not really useful, since I don't really like 'buckies.

As for giving, it seems like a "I want to put as little though as possible into your gift" kind of gift.

I think gift cards are more than an "I want to put as little thought as possible into your gift" kind of gift.  They are especially good for people who are difficult to shop for, especially when they are aware of how difficult they are to shop for.  The thought may seem lacking, but it comes into play when selecting the store from which to purchase the card.  Gift cards are also helpful for those who have to travel during the holidays.  My wife and I travel from Phoenix to Pittsburgh each Christmas, and we learned last year that the logistics surrounding gift transport are an absolute nightmare.  And shipping costs sometimes outweigh the cost of the actual gift.  We do most of our shopping while visiting Pittsburgh for Thanksgiving so that we don't have to factor shipping or transport into our travel plans, but sometimes gift cards are the ideal gift because they can be purchased anywhere, they are easy to travel with, they allow the recipient to purchase whatever it is they want, and recipients can see that you at least put some thought into where you purchased the card (I absolutely love cards from Best Buy because of my DVD and video game addiction, my little cousin adores cards to Barnes and Noble because she loves to read and she enjoys choosing her own books to purchase, and our pregnant friend was ecstatic to receive a card to Baby Gap so that she could buy some clothes for her child she normally wouldn't buy because of price).  And they're also helpful for long-distance relatives, and this year they were the perfect gift for my wife's sick grandmother.  She has been unable to cook since beginning chemotherapy sessions, and so we put together a selection of gift cards to every area restaurant that offers take-out so that my wife's grandfather can order and pick up take out, eliminating Gram's need to prepare food for every meal.  Now Pap can order and pick up dinner and Gram can rest peacefully knowing that Pap has things under control.  And because of the variety of cards, it's going to be a while before they have to eat the same thing twice.

There was a time when I insisted on buying what I considered to be "thoughtful" gifts, refusing to even consider gift cards.  But, I've learned that they serve a very necessary purpose, and I now appreciate being able to fall back on gift cards when shopping for difficult people, for distant relatives, or for those who enjoy choosing their own gift.  Hell, there may come a time when I just stock up on gift cards and give them to everyone, especially when considering just how much easier travel with a stack of gift cards might be when compared to traveling with actual gifts.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 12:10:53 AM »

I like gift cards, what I hate is when you get like 10 $5 gift cards that you have to spend an extra $20 per store instead of one $50 gift card to one place.   

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 12:29:35 AM »

In giving gifts I find out what the person wants(or a range of wants, if price is an issue) and get them that.  I see no point in getting someone something I THINK they'd like, when I could just get them what they want instead.   Generally, for people that I can't find out their wants, those are people I'm not getting gifts for anyways, so gift cards aren't needed.

As for receiving, I like them just fine.   I'm not going to be an ingrate, hehe.   

But it is just a bit confusing when someone gives a gift card that shows that they know what I would want, but get the gift card at a location that shows a total lack of thought about WHERE I get my stuff.   For instance, what to think about a gift card for a brick and mortar record store when the person not only knows I like music, but knows darn well I buy my music in individual tracks online, and not on cds, like the unwashed masses?  Is there a message there?   saywhat
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 12:34:27 AM »

Why is giving gift cards OK while giving cash is strctly forbidden?
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 12:49:58 AM »

That is what is so cool about those prepaid Visa gift cards, you can use them anywhere!  Personally though, I'd rather get a gift than a gift card.  Especially if the person has no idea what I like and just buys some random gift card for somewhere.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 01:05:44 AM »

Cheap way out.

But for cheap fucks like me, they work nice because we do something called "Gift card washing".  Where we use the gift cards we recieve one year, to BUY everyone elses presents the next year.  Never really spending out of pocket for their gifts..  Works A+.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 01:10:23 AM »

As long as they don't give it to me in my other holiday peeve... the gift bag. Tongue

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 01:13:45 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on December 14, 2006, 01:10:23 AM

As long as they don't give it to me in my other holiday peeve... the gift bag. Tongue

Damn whats wrong with nice gift bags?  *EVERYONE* not directly in this household got Gift Bags from us this year.  Real nice ones, with nice stuff in them wrapped in tissue.  Soooooo easy, much easier than wrapping that noise.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 01:14:17 AM »

I love 'em as long as they are for Barnes and Noble, Best Buy, or something like that.  I had a great time going shopping the day after Christmas last year and buying a bunch of games still left on my list, a few books, etc.

unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 04:43:32 PM »

I also have a tendency to lose giftcards.  Not good, obviously.

I'm not all that picky, aside from areas I'm really in to (computers, games, coffee, etc), so if somebody gives me a gift card, it's adding another step to the gift (since I have to go shopping).
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 03:15:01 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on December 14, 2006, 01:13:45 AM

Quote from: coopasonic on December 14, 2006, 01:10:23 AM

Damn whats wrong with nice gift bags?  *EVERYONE* not directly in this household got Gift Bags from us this year.  Real nice ones, with nice stuff in them wrapped in tissue.  Soooooo easy, much easier than wrapping that noise.

Gift Bags "cheapen" the experience in my mind. I want to rip open wrapping paper, not pull out tissue paper. Yes, they are much easier, but I think it shows. Outside the household is a different story but Christmas morning has to be a frenzy of tearing paper. I think it is mostly nostalgia speaking. My boy is not going to grow up pulling tissue paper and gifts out of bags even if I have to yell at his aunts and grandparents to make sure.  icon_twisted

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 03:42:02 PM »

Amazon Gift Cards RULE as there is something for every human out there at amazon.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 03:43:24 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on December 14, 2006, 01:05:44 AM

Cheap way out.

But for cheap fucks like me, they work nice because we do something called "Gift card washing".  Where we use the gift cards we recieve one year, to BUY everyone elses presents the next year.  Never really spending out of pocket for their gifts..  Works A+.
eek WOW. Impressive?

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
unbreakable
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2006, 06:25:14 AM »

Blah, I forgot to mention: I gave in to the temptation to buy people gift cards.  I was wandering around doing shopping, had a damn headache, and couldn't really see anything I thought anyone would like.

So, I got three Best Buy gift cards.  EVERYONE likes BB, right?  Aside from the people working there, I mean.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2006, 06:50:02 AM »

Yup, I love BB and I recieved a couple of cards there.....Plan on putting them to good use!

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2006, 08:49:57 PM »

Power to the people!!! Let them pick their own gifts!!! I also do see the "lazy" argument aspect of it too, but I still think it owns!
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2006, 05:10:40 AM »

When I bought them, I thought about all the people who are going to be waiting in the "returns" line at BB today.  Decided I would prefer to get someone a card than something they would return... to get something they want.  It saves a step.

I wanted to get them something they want/need, and am generally really good at it... but this year, I had nothin'.  The brain wasn't coming up with good ideas, for the most part.
Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2006, 06:48:35 AM »

I love gift cards. The extended family knows to get me borders or amazon giftcards for Christmas/my birthday. I nabbed over 80 bucks worth in giftcards, which is more than enough to fund my book buying habits for at least half a year.

Welcome to the Bovine.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 03:13:36 AM »

IN! on gift cards.

Especially store GCs (as opposed to food ones).

I like to hold onto them and plot their use like it's some sort of game....waiting...lurking....ready to pounce when the moment is just right...then BAM!!! it's like I got something free!!

Love it!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2006, 02:12:07 AM »

If I'm not sure what to get someone, I tend to get them "mall giftcards", which are good at any store in our local mall.  That way they're not tied to specific stores.
unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2006, 04:41:11 AM »

A bunch of my friends and coworkers mentioned Amazon.com gift cards.  Damn... I love Amazon, wish I had known about that before the holidays.  Everyone likes BB, of course, but it would make me feel better to know they shopped at one of the best online stores around, and that their gift money went far.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2006, 01:49:29 PM »

Quote from: Devil on December 27, 2006, 03:13:36 AM

IN! on gift cards.

Especially store GCs (as opposed to food ones).

While I was still in school, and my wife and I were living solely on a teacher's salary, we wanted food gift cards. Between all our family members we'd end up with several hundred dollars worth of gift cards to various places - mostly the Brinker family of restaurants (Chili's, Macaroni Grill, On the Border, Maggiano's, etc.). They were a god-send as it was the only way we could eat at restaurants without breaking the bank.

Now that I have a job and going into debt over food isn't really a concern, gimme GCs that let me buy frivolous material goods!  icon_wink

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: